Non-UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 54 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The positions these players are currently playing in HS is irrelevant because ESPN position designation are based on "college position projections". Since both DeBerry and Brady are committed to UCONN ESPN is projecting that Brady will be the post player and DeBerry will play forward. Of course Geno may have other ideas. Right now ESPN is project Maya Nnaji as a forward which is subject to change depending on where she ends going.

Remember, this is the same ESPN list that has Ducharme listed as 5'10". I do agree that college coaches make up their own minds as far as position.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't know. I still think you are missing many points some from that "other poster" to which you refer. Point #1: Betts is the number 1 player in the class and a post player and is 6'7". UCONN has never not been involved with the #1 player-since I can't remember when.
Point #2 Brady and Deberry are not number 1 and both can play alongside Betts.
Point #3 it is way early. Betts just announced her top 9 and UCONN is still in it. It would be stupid for UCONN to not be involved with her at this point.
Point #4. Both DeBerry and Brady are today only VERBAL commitments to UCONN.
You didn't answer the question either. I didn't ask you if you KNEW where she was going (I, also, don't KNOW where she's going). I asked you for your opinion. Do you THINK Betts will play basketball for UConn ?
Point #1. I agree. UConn is always involved with the #1 player, as they should be. That still doesn't answer the question.
Point #2. I agree. Brady and DeBerry are not #1 and can play next to Betts. That still doesn't answer the question.
Point #3. I agree. It would be stupid for UConn not to be involved in her recruitment.
That still doesn't answer the question.
Point #4. I agree (Do you see a pattern developing ?) Both DeBerry and Brady are only verbal commitments. That still doesn't answer the question.
All your points are valid. But they don't get us any closer to you answering the question.
I find it fascinating that on a forum where people freely express their opinions, on innumerable subjects, based only on ""just a feeling" or "gut reaction", that I haven't received an answer to a question that only requires a yes or a no.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You didn't answer the question either. I didn't ask you if you KNEW where she was going (I, also, don't KNOW where she's going). I asked you for your opinion. Do you THINK Betts will play basketball for UConn ?
Point #1. I agree. UConn is always involved with the #1 player, as they should be. That still doesn't answer the question.
Point #2. I agree. Brady and DeBerry are not #1 and can play next to Betts. That still doesn't answer the question.
Point #3. I agree. It would be stupid for UConn not to be involved in her recruitment.
That still doesn't answer the question.
Point #4. I agree (Do you see a pattern developing ?) Both DeBerry and Brady are only verbal commitments. That still doesn't answer the question.
All your points are valid. But they don't get us any closer to you answering the question.
I find it fascinating that on a forum where people freely express their opinions, on innumerable subjects based only on ""just a feeling" or "gut reaction", that I haven't received an answer to a question that only requires a yes or a no.
What I find fascinating is when some think they are entitled to yes or no answers to questions especially on this forum. Your question was: "Do you think that Betts will be playing basketball for UConn ?
My answer was in case you missed it was: "I don't know." This simply means I have not formed an opinion about it which I care to share with you. Sorry if you were expecting something else.

Reaction Score
What I find fascinating is when some think they are entitled to yes or no answers to questions especially on this forum. Your question was: "Do you think that Betts will be playing basketball for UConn ?
My answer was in case you missed it was: "I don't know." This simply means I have not formed an opinion about it which I care to share with you. Sorry if you were expecting something else.
Actually, I don't feel entitled to any kind of answer. Although, quite frankly, I was expecting a yes or no response. I don't think the question is unreasonable and it's difficult to keep a conversation going when questions aren't answered. Btw, I accept your apology. Thank you.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
A little surprised Texas isn't in there.
Not sure how early or hard Vic Schaefer and staff recruited her while at Miss. State. Once at Texas, they did start following her on social media.

But, if you look at Betts' list of finalists, every program (other than Arizona State and UCLA) is one that has at a minimum reached a Final Four recently, and some even won a national title; Texas didn't reach those accomplishments. Perhaps Texas just wasn't a school she was considering prior to the MSU coaching staff landing in Austin just 3 months ago, and it was too late to make a push.

While it would have been "flattering" for Texas to make her final list, I still wouldn't have thought we were a serious player for her. In the end, whether you finish 2nd or 22nd for a recruit, it only really matters if you finish 1st for a recruit.

Reaction Score
A little surprised Texas isn't in there.
Not to specifically assume that you made the comment due to his success with T McCowan and her subsequent play in the pros (China and WNBA) but other than R Jackson and A Moore he has yet to land a top ten player. Most of his successful post players have been developed or in McCowan’s case where she had grade issues coming out of high school. The last top post he recruited and was in the final list was K Cardoso. I think if he is successful in his first year he will be on more of these lists.

Reaction Score

Unranked but seemed to be getting buzz lately, Jayda Curry PG to Cal over Washington, Utah, San Diego State, and Arizona State.

Love to see it.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Duke's loss is Michigan State's gain ... again.

13 years after McCallie leaves East Lansing... she helps out MSU again.

Just watch these two (Rewers) drop a combined 50 points 30 rebounds 10 assists and 12 block shots when Michigan State plays Duke in the 2024 ACC/Big 10 challenge :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not to specifically assume that you made the comment due to his success with T McCowan and her subsequent play in the pros (China and WNBA) but other than R Jackson and A Moore he has yet to land a top ten player. Most of his successful post players have been developed or in McCowan’s case where she had grade issues coming out of high school. The last top post he recruited and was in the final list was K Cardoso. I think if he is successful in his first year he will be on more of these lists.

That's fair enough but I was expecting Vic to have a bit of buzz taking over in Austin, which figures to be easier to recruit to than Starkville.

Or maybe not so much as expecting as curious to see how it went.

There is definitely a usual suspects feel to the list, but I'd have guessed Texas before a couple of those.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
That's fair enough but I was expecting Vic to have a bit of buzz taking over in Austin, which figures to be easier to recruit to than Starkville.

Or maybe not so much as expecting as curious to see how it went.

There is definitely a usual suspects feel to the list, but I'd have guessed Texas before a couple of those.
What type of buzz were you expecting in 3 months at Texas? No summer camps happened; and, no in-person visits happening.

He definitely had instant "buzz" by securing two top 10-15 verbal commitments for 2021 less than one month after being hired.

Not being a finalist for the number player in the country from Colorado for 2022 is not the end of the world; if there had been no coaching changes in April (and things stayed the same at MSU and Texas), I don't believe either Texas or MSU would have made her final list.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was there a logjam when we had Dolson, Tuck (before the injury), Stewie and Kiah Stokes?

Are you stating that Morgan Tuck was a post? LOL. Talk about distorting reality to fit your view. :rolleyes: She posted up opposing wings and guards down low but I never remember her matching up down low against an opposing post, even a mediocre one. But even accepting your list, considering that they all are having outstanding careers in the WNBA I'd say yes, it was a logjam, of talent. Luckily Stokes was satisfied with a bench role and that Stewart was capable of playing more than a post position.

Reaction Score
What type of buzz were you expecting in 3 months at Texas? No summer camps happened; and, no in-person visits happening.

He definitely had instant "buzz" by securing two top 10-15 verbal commitments for 2021 less than one month after being hired.

Not being a finalist for the number player in the country from Colorado for 2022 is not the end of the world; if there had been no coaching changes in April (and things stayed the same at MSU and Texas), I don't believe either Texas or MSU would have made her final list.

I my opinion, Bett's has not cut her list down only to those teams. It's just a post of her favorites at the moment. It's not like she is bound by this list. If Vic whips Texas into shape early and they make the tournament, I would imagine that might get her attention.

I really think SCar is only listed because we are a top contender at this time. I doubt she has any real interest in us, and is just making a power statement of the choices she could make.

Reaction Score
Are you stating that Morgan Tuck was a post? LOL. Talk about distorting reality to fit your view. :rolleyes: She posted up opposing wings and guards down low but I never remember her matching up down low against an opposing post, even a mediocre one. But even accepting your list, considering that they all are having outstanding careers in the WNBA I'd say yes, it was a logjam, of talent. Luckily Stokes was satisfied with a bench role and that Stewart was capable of playing more than a post position.
She matched up with Ruth Hamblin here:

Reaction Score
I my opinion, Bett's has not cut her list down only to those teams. It's just a post of her favorites at the moment. It's not like she is bound by this list. If Vic whips Texas into shape early and they make the tournament, I would imagine that might get her attention.

I really think SCar is only listed because we are a top contender at this time. I doubt she has any real interest in us, and is just making a power statement of the choices she could make.
If you watch Wilson killing it in the pros and the early success Boston had, I would look at SCar to if I was a top post player.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

It’s funny because people once said this same thing about Aliyah Boston.

Reaction Score
Iowa has quietly put together very nice recruiting classes in 21 and 22.

They’ll be fabulous in three years led by Caitlin Clark.
Iowa has quietly put together very nice recruiting classes in 21 and 22.
I’m very excited to see how this momentum goes for Bluder and her girls. They’ve proven that they can coach great college players, they just recently haven’t had luck breaking into the pros. Gustafson, Kastanek Logic, Doolittle and Doyle are all fabulous players out of the program. I’ll be curious to see if they can challenge for a Final Four and dominate the BiG for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom