Non-UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
What is everyone’s crystal balls on cardoso?

Am I crazy for thinking Syracuse?

If not them then Miss State. I'm thinking one of those two for Cardoso but sheesh if that's the case State will have a heck of a logjam at PF/C.

Reaction Score
Ok Ms. Hailey Van Lith, we're waiting! Maybe she is planning a "Ionescu" type move and will just show up at a school unannounced!

I’ve said for awhile now in several different posts that Hailey Van Lith is decently overrated. Not super overrated, I’m not saying she’s bad. I see her outside the top 20 though. And now my opinion on Hailey Van Lith is being confirmed. She’s run out of her preferred options because college coaches like her but not more than others. Oregon gave spots to others. I had heard that was her preferred place originally. Baylor rather have Andrews. UConn, not interested. Notre Dame not interested. Miss State, South Carolina, Stanford all have others they prefer already. Louisville only school left. I don’t think she’ll last there because I don’t think she preferred there and Walz pushes players hard. He won’t let her shoot away unless she’s dominant. And I would assume none of see Hailey Van Lith on the level of Asia Durr or Angel McCoughtry.

Hailey Van Lith can’t afford to wait like Sabrina did. Completely different level player. Hailey Van Lith’s waiting has already cost her alot

Reaction Score
Welp FSU whiffed on every recruit it was after in the '20 class. Everytime I think FSU might get over the hump, we lay an egg recruiting, not to mention the derth of true point guards or an assistant coach leaves.

Reaction Score
We would welcome her to Baylor.

Of course. Most any school would “welcome” her but there’s a big difference between that and wanting her. And how do you think she feels? Hard to imagine her wanting to compete with Sarah Andrews for four years in addition to the other guards there. Maybe Kim tried to sell Hailey Van Lith on playing the 2 but hard to imagine at her height.

Unfortunately for Hailey Van Lith the reality of things is hitting hard now probably. Players want to feel wanted. Hunt obviously choose Kentucky because of this. Do you think Hunt chooses Kentucky if Dawn and/or Kim are pursuing Hunt hard and really wanting her? Only school left doing that for Hailey Van Lith is Louisville probably, and Jeff is probably not pushing hard either. If Hailey Van Lith would consider Oregon State they would pursue and want her strongly. Not sure why they’re off her list

Reaction Score
Of course. Most any school would “welcome” her but there’s a big difference between that and wanting her. And how do you think she feels? Hard to imagine her wanting to compete with Sarah Andrews for four years in addition to the other guards there. Maybe Kim tried to sell Hailey Van Lith on playing the 2 but hard to imagine at her height
Kim wouldn’t welcome a recruit that she didn’t want. No coach would, that would be dumb. Why couldn’t she and Sarah play together?

Mississippi State put three players out on the perimeter under 5-7 and they fielded a very successful team (none of them were as talented as either Andrews or Van Lith).

Reaction Score
Baylor wants her. I don't know why you think they wouldn't? Yes we want Andrews and Hailey Van Lith. We need more Guards

Next Year
Sr: Richards SF, Ursin SG
JR: Bickel S/PF, Egbo C, Smith F, Oliver W
So: Oliver W
Fr: Andrews PG, Gusters C

We need more SG/PG's and could use another transfer for next season.

Reaction Score
Baylor wants her. I don't know why you think they wouldn't? Yes we want Andrews and Hailey Van Lith. We need more Guards

Next Year

This is the key I think. The roster numbers dictate that Baylor will have to bring in an additional guard besides Andrews, and I think Kim would really prefer it to be a freshman instead of continuing to play graduate transfer musical chairs. There will be lots of minutes to go around for both Andrews and Van Lith, and they would get to play with elite frontcourt players as they learn the ropes of college ball.

Reaction Score
Kim wouldn’t welcome a recruit that she didn’t want. No coach would, that would be dumb. Why couldn’t she and Sarah play together?

Mississippi State put three players out on the perimeter under 5-7 and they fielded a very successful team (none of them were as talented as either Andrews or Van Lith).

That’s not true in recruiting. There are varying degrees of recruitment and “want” for every player. My point in this is that Baylor wanted Andrews more than Hailey Van Lith. HVLs visit to Baylor was postponed to give Andrews time. Any Baylor people following this could confirm. Baylor wanted Andrews more than Hailey Van Lith.

I contend that Hailey Van Lith and Andrews are very similar players and that they don’t fit together as guards like the Bulldogs guards did. Baylor likes to play big too. I am sure that Hailey Van Lith would rather be at a school not super pumped about another 2020 5’8” PG. Did you watch Andrews commitment video?

Reaction Score
That’s not true in recruiting. There are varying degrees of recruitment and “want” for every player. My point in this is that Baylor wanted Andrews more than Hailey Van Lith. HVLs visit to Baylor was postponed to give Andrews time. Any Baylor people following this could confirm. Baylor wanted Andrews more than Hailey Van Lith.

I contend that Hailey Van Lith and Andrews are very similar players and that they don’t fit together as guards like the Bulldogs guards did. Baylor likes to play big too. I am sure that Hailey Van Lith would rather be at a school not super pumped about another 2020 5’8” PG. Did you watch Andrews commitment video?
Van Lith showed she can effectively play off the ball at U19. Dan Olson even moved her position from PG to G.

I personally don’t see a ton of similarities between Van Lith and Andrews.

I still don’t see why Mulkey would make Van Lith push her visit back when she is willing to take both? Any thoughts Baylor fans?

Reaction Score
Van Lith showed she can effectively play off the ball at U19. Dan Olson even moved her position from PG to G.
I still don’t see why Mulkey would make Van Lith push her visit back when she is willing to take both? Any thoughts Baylor fans?

From what I gathered, she wanted Andrews and Hailey Van Lith to visit together. Kim is selling them on the “Big 3” with Gusters. Hailey Van Lith can play off the ball, she is not strictly a PG.

Reaction Score
From what I gathered, she wanted Andrews and Hailey Van Lith to visit together. Kim is selling them on the “Big 3” with Gusters. Hailey Van Lith can play off the ball, she is not strictly a PG.
That was exactly how I saw it, not to "give Andrews time."

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Next Year

Plus you have to take into account the next round of 2-3 out-transfers.

Reaction Score

I personally don’t see a ton of similarities between Van Lith and Andrews.

After watching some of the U19 games I would not agree. Did you get to watch any? Paige carried the offense. Hailey Van Lith was not a big factor in my opinion.

Both players shoot a lot. Both players like to slash and dish. Neither player is a sharpshooter. Both players heavier shorter guards. I’ve watched both a lot. They seem similar to me. Not sure why Olsen switched her position maybe Hailey Van Lith requested it?

Reaction Score

I love how you think you’re speaking for all of Baylor nation or Kim Mulkey! Of course Kim wants both Andrews and van lith

Reaction Score
After watching some of the U19 games I would not agree. Did you get to watch any? Paige carried the offense. Hailey Van Lith was not a big factor in my opinion.

Both players shoot a lot. Both players like to slash and dish. Neither player is a sharpshooter. Both players heavier shorter guards. I’ve watched both a lot. They seem similar to me. Not sure why Olsen switched her position maybe Hailey Van Lith requested it?
Hailey was third in PPG and second in APG. That qualifies as a “factor.” I don’t see how it wouldn’t. I never said Hailey carried the offense, I said she was a big part of it.

Reaction Score
Texas kids very seldom leave Texas. Her teammate committed to Baylor. There was no chance.

Van Lith on the other hand is a dynamic scoring guard...that is Louisville’s identity (one scoring guard and everything else built around said guard.) Baylor is a post player, big girl, inside-out style team. I think Louisville is the best place for her. I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s been persuaded to commit to Baylor this past weekend. That can happen when kids take OV’s together.
I don’t think van lith will go to Louisville though now that two players are red-shirting. She’ll have more competition if she goes there! If she goes to Baylor with Andrews, they’ll both play right away because we are losing lots of guards to graduation and transfers

Reaction Score
I hope Hailey Van Lith does go to Baylor. I actually think Kim is a better fit for her. I don’t think anyone can deny Hailey Van Lith waited too long and missed some opportunities. Whether it was college coaches over promising or her over projecting how good she is, I don’t know. Maybe both. But I’ve watched her a lot. This summer when she faced off against EYBL competition and not the Adidas teams I thought she was fine, but not a top 20 player. Just my opinion. If she were thought of by a majority of college coaches as a top 5 or even top 10 player in the whole 2020 class I think they would be pursuing her harder and not taking others before her.

Reaction Score
Caroline Ducharme visited Tennessee this weekend along with Isaline Alexander from the U16 team in Canada. Ducharme was watched by TN coaches quite a few times this fall period at open gym.

Reaction Score
I think both Mulkey and Hailey Van Lith would be great fits together. I know I’m stating the obvious there. Backcourt would not have the height advantage but would be elite. Am I the only one who thinks Gusters status has dropped? Is she mobile for those who have seen her?

Reaction Score
I hope Hailey Van Lith does go to Baylor. I actually think Kim is a better fit for her. I don’t think anyone can deny Hailey Van Lith waited too long and missed some opportunities. Whether it was college coaches over promising or her over projecting how good she is, I don’t know. Maybe both. But I’ve watched her a lot. This summer when she faced off against EYBL competition and not the Adidas teams I thought she was fine, but not a top 20 player. Just my opinion. If she were thought of by a majority of college coaches as a top 5 or even top 10 player in the whole 2020 class I think they would be pursuing her harder and not taking others before her.
I believe Scott Rueck at Oregon State recruited her "heavily" and I doubt he would over promise. Why she never fully warmed to OSU and dropped the school, we may never know. Some OSU supporters think she was not the best fit (style of play, personality?). At OSU, Slocum may leave early (well, not really early since I think she graduates next spring) so Hailey Van Lith as a freshman may have gotten significant time at point guard behind/along with senior Aleah Goodman. She could have played significant time at the 2 position too, what with Pivec graduating as well as Tudor who was not granted an extra year. Oh well, OSU is heavily recruiting several top 25 2021 guards now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think she’s a top 10 player, but I also think she does a little too much after watching her. I could see why you doubt she’s a top player though. I think she was ahead of Clark, Johnson, and Andrews in the original class rankings and she’s fallen behind all. She likes to dribble ....A LOT! I think she’s a player that needs to go where a coach would allow free reign.

Baylor does have room for both her and Andrews because they just don’t have shooters or pure lead guards. It also would be a plus to get both because the past two lead guards have been dismissed. So getting both would be great insurance.

Reaction Score
I believe Scott Rueck at Oregon State recruited her "heavily" and I doubt he would over promise. Why she never fully warmed to OSU and dropped the school, we may never know. Some OSU supporters think she was not the best fit (style of play, personality?). At OSU, Slocum may leave early (well, not really early since I think she graduates next spring) so Hailey Van Lith as a freshman may have gotten significant time at point guard behind/along with senior Aleah Goodman. She could have played significant time at the 2 position too, what with Pivec graduating as well as Tudor who was not granted an extra year. Oh well, OSU is heavily recruiting several top 25 2021 guards now.
I'll let the Boneyard know if I see Hailey Van Lith at the OSU vs USA game tonight. Wouldn't shock me if she shows up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom