Non-UConn Recruiting Information | Page 77 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
It's actually the second year running. Coach Scott Roueck has two very tall posts coming in this fall

I know about the 2 incoming Fr. While Aquino is rated very high by some scouting services, I think it's based on long term potential. She's fairly new to playing basketball and somewhat of a raw talent still. Morris as you said is considered a project (with potential of course). I'm assuming that Jones is more polished at this point than either Aquino or Morris.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I know about the 2 incoming Fr. While Aquino is rated very high by some scouting services, I think it's based on long term potential. She's fairly new to playing basketball and somewhat of a raw talent still. Morris as you said is considered a project (with potential of course). I'm assuming that Jones is more polished at this point than either Aquino or Morris.

CharlieBball and I have both seen Ms. Aquino play during the years she lived in Paterson, NJ. You can probably find our give and takes and I even wrote a scouting report on her during a game I saw her play her junior year, before she left for California. While the total years she's played are not that much compared to a typical American kid, she's been immersed in hoops since she got here. Sure there's a lot to work on, but she's surprisingly nifty and coordinated for a 6'9" player. And has a soft jump shot out to the foul line. If she progresses -- and she's got a year to acclimate to the college game before Jones shows up -- my biggest question is, can Jones play forward? Minor head scratcher for me....

Reaction Score
CharlieBball and I have both seen Ms. Aquino play during the years she lived in Paterson, NJ. You can probably find our give and takes and I even wrote a scouting report on her during a game I saw her play her junior year, before she left for California. While the total years she's played are not that much compared to a typical American kid, she's been immersed in hoops since she got here. Sure there's a lot to work on, but she's surprisingly nifty and coordinated for a 6'9" player. And has a soft jump shot out to the foul line. If she progresses -- and she's got a year to acclimate to the college game before Jones shows up -- my biggest question is, can Jones play forward? Minor head scratcher for me....

I think we both agree she's going to be better then Nancy Mulkey...............if that helps

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I think we both agree she's going to be better then Nancy Mulkey.....if that helps

...speaking of Nancy Mulkey, she's eligible this year to join a whole slew of transfers -- the Ogwumike sisters, Nicole Iademarco -- as a Rice Owl, who went 23-10 last year.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
my biggest question is, can Jones play forward? Minor head scratcher for me....

Rueck has employed a twin post lineup at times. Hamblin and Gulich were on the court together not that infrequently. This year Gulich and Grymek played together a little bit. While both can be described as forwards, neither Brown or Orum was a stretch 4 two seasons ago and one of those players was on the floor w/ Gulich just about constantly. I could see there might be an odd player out, but I could also see a 4 player rotation rather than 3 (Corosdale, Aquino, Morris and Jones).

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
For what it's worth Martinez out played her teammate Kamilla Cardoso (#9 in 2020 class per ESPN) in the ESPN girls national tournament last month.

Outplayed?? To me she was the best player on the floor for them. At that time she had only 1 college offer (San Diego State). Look what a little national exposure gets ya.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Outplayed?? To me she was the best player on the floor for them. At that time she had only 1 college offer (San Diego State). Look what a little national exposure gets ya.
Nah.. Elizabeth Balogun was the best player on that team and Jazmine Massengill was a close second. Martinez was the best of the post players though.

Reaction Score
Charliebball wrote: "surprising then that a third post (Taylor Jones) would want to go there (Oregon State) when clearly she had many schools to chose from.....somebody is going to be transferring in the next couple of years...."

I don't necessarily see any of Oregon State's "bigs" transferring in the future from an overabundance of post players. The addition of 6'3" Taylor Jones (along with 2018 recruits 6'9" Aquino an 6'7" Morris) probably means she will be playing the 4 position and the double post at Oregon State. Jones is described as a "finesse 5" who plays facing the basket which sounds a lot like a 4 to me. OSU was/is kind of thin at the 4 spot already, with Washington and Thropay underperforming/struggling at it so far. Only Corosdale was solid (late) at the 4 for OSU. Besides, both Washington and Thropay will both be seniors by the time Jones arrives.

Oregon State is still in the running for yet another post player in 2019 (Kennedy Brown) . Brown even retweeted Jone's OSU commitment statement. This suggests Brown has a connection to Jones or OSU or both (OSU is still on her final seven list). If Brown commits to OSU, the Beavers will be solidly 2 deep at the 4 and 5 spots...a great "position" for the team to be in...allowing for foul trouble, injury, fatigue, to be much less of a factor or worry for the team in 2020-2022.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Francesca Belibi, 6-1 forward out of Colorado has committed to Stanford. This Denver post story says she chose the Cardinal over ND, Duke, Princeton, Harvard, South Carolina and Tennessee though I'm not sure how many of those schools she actually visited.

Regis Jesuit dunking phenom Fran Belibi commits to play college basketball

She's ranked #33 by HG. She joins G Hannah Jump in Stanford's 2019 class. Highly ranked 6-1 W Lexie Hull will join Stanford next season.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I don't know if negative recruiting is as prominent in women's college athletics as men's, but it must exist. I'm sure the "Tara won't be coaching there forever" angle has been attempted in recent years, but it doesn't seem to be working much. Good get for Stanford. While several other Pac 12 schools have drastically improved recently, Stanford isn't exactly disappearing.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Francesca Belibi, 6-1 forward out of Colorado has committed to Stanford. This Denver post story says she chose the Cardinal over ND, Duke, Princeton, Harvard, South Carolina and Tennessee though I'm not sure how many of those schools she actually visited.

She's ranked #33 by HG. She joins G Hannah Jump in Stanford's 2019 class. Highly ranked 6-1 W Lexie Hull will join Stanford next season.
Looks like @Go/huskies called this one correctly. I think @Dillon77 may have mentioned that Belibi did visit ND.
I think she would be a good fit at Stanford.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

So, Stanford gets Jump and The Jumper (Belibi is raw, but has dunked in a game). Interesting! Thanks!

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Looks like @Go/huskies called this one correctly. I think @Dillon77 may have mentioned that Belibi did visit ND.

Coco: Belibi visited ND in April, but I never got the impression before or after that she was viewed as a top choice at her position (that would be Amihere). Still, MM and staff must've like what they'd seen to bring her to the Bend. All power to Fran and good luck at the Farm....seems like a good fit, both in hoops and academics, given her interest in medicine. And based on the article I read, she and her family certainly did their research.

Last edited:

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
I don't know if negative recruiting is as prominent in women's college athletics as men's, but it must exist. I'm sure the "Tara won't be coaching there forever" angle has been attempted in recent years, but it doesn't seem to be working much. Good get for Stanford. While several other Pac 12 schools have drastically improved recently, Stanford isn't exactly disappearing.
Negative recruiting is very prominent in women's basketball. Old article, but I can see how it still applies today.

Going Behind the Back

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

As an aside, ESPN/Hoopgurlz' rankings are a snapshot of the rankings prepared by Dan Olson. On his own site (Collegiate Girls Basketball Report), his rankings are updated constantly. ESPN only has the rankings updated 2-3 times per year.

Here are the current recruiting rankings for Francesca Belibi (May 22, 2018)

Blue Star: #9
Dan Olson/Collegiate Girls Basketball Report: #32
Prospects Nation: #41

Reaction Score

Am so disappointed that the title of the article wasn't
"You better Belibi, dunking phenom commits to Cardinal"

Reaction Score

Cary high school is the same high school that produced Azura Stevens and Debbie Antonelli, I would like to see her land at VA Tech, they could be an up and coming program, with the 2018 guards they have coming in.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Washington's lack of recruiting success in the greater Seattle area continues. Recent commits by '19 prospects Brynna Maxwell (Gig Harbor) to Utah and Grace Sarver (West Seattle) to Washington St. Both are on the updated Prospectsnation list posted on another thread. Maxwell was the star of this year's 3A State Champs. I don't know what the deal is, this has been going on for years, with various different coaching staffs. Losing area recruits to other Pac 12 schools adds insult to injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom