Non-UConn Recruiting Information | Page 146 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Saw on their board that Esmery Martinez has committed to Texas.
Perusing the Texas board, I learned that Esmery Martinez, after committing to Texas in June, appears to have been scrubbed from the Texas WBB website as of late July. Both the press release and her bio page have gone "404", and she's not on their roster.

Reaction Score
I guess there is always the possibility she didn’t qualify? I think Vic said she spoke very little English, and needed a translator.

Big blow to Texas. Martinez was the mist underrated in the class IMO.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Perusing the Texas board, I learned that Esmery Martinez, after committing to Texas in June, appears to have been scrubbed from the Texas WBB website as of late July. Both the press release and her bio page have gone "404", and she's not on their roster.

There is a story here and my nosey behind really wants to know.

Reaction Score

There is a story here and my nosey behind really wants to know.

Mine too! Definitely has got to be something going on behind the scenes, not sure if it is qualification issues, issues with her agency (FDM Athletics), or she is having trouble finding a fit, but to commit twice and then change your mind doesn’t make sense.

I hope for her sake she finds a good fit at a JUCO or something, because watching her play, her talent is undeniable.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Mine too! Definitely has got to be something going on behind the scenes, not sure if it is qualification issues, issues with her agency (FDM Athletics), or she is having trouble finding a fit, but to commit twice and then change your mind doesn’t make sense.

I hope for her sake she finds a good fit at a JUCO or something, because watching her play, her talent is undeniable.

Reaction Score
I am moderately (almost very) surprised to see Oregon State on the list for 2 obvious reasons:

1. OSU is the academic outlier of the group (but there are some good programs there)
2. How many bigs does Oregon State already have??? A team can never have enough skilled bigs?

[maybe she has a huge, best kept secret..she knows she can play point guard at OSU if Hailey Van Lith goes to Baylor or elsewhere :) ]

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Interesting. All these Washington players have been very quiet, suddenly we're getting something official about their recruitment. Maybe Hailey Van Lith will be next.

So Duke and Cal both made the cut w/ Daniels and Jenkins.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
2. How many bigs does Oregon State already have??? A team can never have enough skilled bigs?

Stanford is fairly loaded in that department as well though

Reaction Score
I am moderately (almost very) surprised to see Oregon State on the list for 2 obvious reasons:

1. OSU is the academic outlier of the group (but there are some good programs there)
OSU is definitely the academic outlier here (not a bad thing as the other five are elite).

UCLA is pretty full on scholarships. They have one more. Daniels is a good one to use it on!

Daniels has a lot of versatility. Not tough to see why Rueck and Tara would want her despite already having a lot of bigs.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Princeton is also an outlier, not being in a P5 conference. Seems like they are a real long shot unless she really wants to go Ivy.

Reaction Score

It’s like a cut and paste of Mississippi State’s response when she left there. Obviously there is more to this story. I hate she left MSU (whatever the reason) as she is a very gifted player. Best of luck to her.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Daniels has a lot of versatility. Not tough to see why Rueck and Tara would want her despite already having a lot of bigs.
Stanford board seems to think she is our likeliest remaining 2020 prospect based on how few other targets we have remaining in that class and some signals about her desire for top academics (thus Princeton). Plus the Garfield HS to Stanford pipeline is Strong (and includes current starting guard on the men's team, Daejon Davis).

In terms of being crowded at the post position, by the time she's looking at serious playing time it'll only be Belibi, Prechtel, and Brink in competition for the 4 and 5 spots (Demetre seems tailor-made for the 3), so I don't see any reason why she couldn't be a 3-4-year starter. Our upperclassmen right now only feature one prominent "big" - Dodson, so I think we still have room for another big.

ETA: According to our Stanford board, she had previously said her top three were UConn, Washington, and Stanford; not sure why UConn was dropped (maybe Geno is going in a different direction in terms of who he's targeting for bigs?), but the additions of Cal, Duke, Princeton, and UCLA are leading some to wonder if there's some doubt as to whether there's some admissions question marks with her at Stanford, as those new schools are also all very good academics schools but (possibly with the exception of Princeton) don't pose quite the same admissions challenges.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I have a strong theory as to why Oregon State is still in the mix for Daniels:
She knows what most Beaver Believers know: the more better bigs the better for big time beaver basketball.

[ Even I didn't need a Stanford education to speak so eloquently :) ]

Reaction Score
Stanford board seems to think she is our likeliest remaining 2020 prospect based on how few other targets we have remaining in that class and some signals about her desire for top academics (thus Princeton). Plus the Garfield HS to Stanford pipeline is Strong (and includes current starting guard on the men's team, Daejon Davis).

In terms of being crowded at the post position, by the time she's looking at serious playing time it'll only be Belibi, Prechtel, and Brink in competition for the 4 and 5 spots (Demetre seems tailor-made for the 3), so I don't see any reason why she couldn't be a 3-4-year starter. Our upperclassmen right now only feature one prominent "big" - Dodson, so I think we still have room for another big.

ETA: According to our Stanford board, she had previously said her top three were UConn, Washington, and Stanford; not sure why UConn was dropped (maybe Geno is going in a different direction in terms of who he's targeting for bigs?), but the additions of Cal, Duke, Princeton, and UCLA are leading some to wonder if there's some doubt as to whether there's some admissions question marks with her at Stanford, as those new schools are also all very good academics schools but (possibly with the exception of Princeton) don't pose quite the same admissions challenges.
She never said her top three were UConn, Washington, and Stanford. Her only previous group of finalists were a top 5 of Oregon, Oregon State, Texas, UConn, and Stanford. Washington was never really in the picture.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
She never said her top three were UConn, Washington, and Stanford. Her only previous group of finalists were a top 5 of Oregon, Oregon State, Texas, UConn, and Stanford. Washington was never really in the picture.
Dunno man, just reporting what has been said elsewhere, not sure where they got that info, but the source is an insider so I’m not sure if that was based on non-public conversations. I did see the list you named from an ESPNW article from the fall.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Interesting. All these Washington players have been very quiet, suddenly we're getting something official about their recruitment. Maybe Hailey Van Lith will be next.
So Duke and Cal both made the cut w/ Daniels and Jenkins.
What is the list of schools for Jordyn Jenkins? I think she will be a very nice player for someone and had not seen the announcement.

Reaction Score
What is the list of schools for Jordyn Jenkins? I think she will be a very nice player for someone and had not seen the announcement.
Duke, Cal, UW, Oklahoma, and Southern Cal.

Also, Top-15 recruit Priscilla Williams is announcing her top 5 today.

My guess: Missouri, Mississippi State, Baylor, Louisville, and Syracuse(?)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Duke, Cal, UW, Oklahoma, and Southern Cal.
Also, Top-15 recruit Priscilla Williams is announcing her top 5 today.
My guess: Missouri, Mississippi State, Baylor, Louisville, and Syracuse(?)
That looks like the same list ESPN is carrying for Jenkins, just thought she had tweeted something different. Thanks.

Reaction Score
I was 3/5 for Priscilla Williams:

Who the heck is expected to get SMU for a top-12 prospects?!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Would love to see Williams at Miss St.

Considering how young the roster is, I am guessing they only take up to 2 kids this year. Cardoso and Williams have to be on the top of their list.

I know Vic is also recruiting Hunt, Hayes, and I think A. Edwards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom