Non-UConn Recruiting Information | Page 144 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
2020 6'4" post Fatou Samb of Westside HS in Houston (68 HG, #76 PN) has an interesting top 5:

Rice
Wake Forest
Michigan
Harvard
Cal

The Houston kid in me couldn't even remember the last time Houston ISD had a top 100 player, so I went and looked it up. Apparently the last one was AJ Alix from Bellaire HS (HG #48 in 2013).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
2020 6'4" post Fatou Samb of Westside HS in Houston (68 HG, #76 PN) has an interesting top 5:

Rice
Wake Forest
Michigan
Harvard
Cal

The Houston kid in me couldn't even remember the last time Houston ISD had a top 100 player, so I went and looked it up. Apparently the last one was AJ Alix from Bellaire HS (HG #48 in 2013).

Cal has a big time need for a post player and could really use this young lady, but if she has Harvard on her list, they could be hard to beat out, they have had some success signing top 100 talent in the last few classes.

Reaction Score
Madison Scott’s top-5: Ole Miss, UCLA, Maryland, Florida State, and Miami.

No offense to any of the teams in her final five, but this list of schools is not what you would expect for the #14 ranked player in country.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score

Rice
Wake Forest
Michigan
Harvard
Cal

Actually, that list has a pretty clear logic to it: child of immigrant West African parents who prioritize education, but not quite a highly enough ranked recruit to draw interest from Duke, Notre Dame, Stanford or UCLA. And probably finds Princeton too boys clubby/new coaching situation makes that less certain than in the past.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
No offense to any of the teams in her final five, but this list of schools is not what you would expect for the #14 ranked player in country.

?

Outside of Ole Miss those are solid programs. Maryland in particular is no surprise at all to see make a top 5 list for a highly rated prospect. FSU and UCLA have both pulled in plenty of highly touted recruits over the years. I don't see anything unusual about this list other than Ole Miss.

Reaction Score

Maybe she's not a consensus top 15 player? Prospects Nation has her 49, so then does your perception of her list change? Her list isn't that different than ESPN's #16 player or the schools considered by the #13 player. She also may have cut some bigger schools, maybe they didn't do as good of a job recruiting her as her finalists. I think her list is perfectly normal. UConn isn't recruiting her so not sure who else she has to have included. Maybe she doesn't have the transcript for ND and Stanford admittance. Solid list of schools regardless.

Reaction Score
?

Outside of Ole Miss those are solid programs. Maryland in particular is no surprise at all to see make a top 5 list for a highly rated prospect. FSU and UCLA have both pulled in plenty of highly touted recruits over the years. I don't see anything unusual about this list other than Ole Miss.

Fair enough. There are other factors that would lead to a players final list outside of the top schools not having interest. Just would have thought more “elite 8” schools would be chasing her (which her list includes none of this past seasons)

Reaction Score
Maybe she's not a consensus top 15 player? Prospects Nation has her 49, so then does your perception of her list change? Her list isn't that different than ESPN's #16 player or the schools considered by the #13 player. She also may have cut some bigger schools, maybe they didn't do as good of a job recruiting her as her finalists. I think her list is perfectly normal. UConn isn't recruiting her so not sure who else she has to have included. Maybe she doesn't have the transcript for ND and Stanford admittance. Solid list of schools regardless.

Agreed that she may have cut bigger schools or she might not have the grades. There are other factors that make a players final list.

Just would have thought more “elite 8” type schools would be there. (She has none on her list).

Looks like she’s closer to the PN #49 than Olsons rank. Poole (#16 ESPN) seems far over ranked as well but at least she had one (UL) on her list. Have watched Poole play and seen several videos, not sure how a player with her stature will be an impact college player at a big D1 school. If Donarski (#13) had not committed early she would likely have several opportunities at top 5 schools in my opinion.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Actually, that list has a pretty clear logic to it: child of immigrant West African parents who prioritize education, but not quite a highly enough ranked recruit to draw interest from Duke, Notre Dame, Stanford or UCLA. And probably finds Princeton too boys clubby/new coaching situation makes that less certain than in the past.
I agree except for Wake Forest. That one's out of left field for me. Not particularly special academically, and by far the weakest basketball program among those listed.

I find the list interesting because it couldn't be more geographically diverse: one west coast school, one local, one northern/midwestern, one northeastern, one southeastern.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I agree except for Wake Forest. That one's out of left field for me. Not particularly special academically, and by far the weakest basketball program among those listed.

I find the list interesting because it couldn't be more geographically diverse: one west coast school, one local, one northern/midwestern, one northeastern, one southeastern.
Believe it or not, Wake is tied with Michigan in the US News rankings. In terms of undergraduate experiences, I'd say Wake has pretty solid academic bona fides. Top to bottom when including graduate programs, it's definitely no Michigan, but for undergraduate academic experience, I think her list makes a fair amount of sense.

But yeah, in terms of athletics, definitely the outlier! Maybe it's the safety school on the list??

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

wf.jpg

Reaction Score

Not every top prospect is going to necessarily limit their choice to the top programs. Most do, but many may not. They look at their relationship with the coaches, what the school offers, proximity factors.

Ole miss is far from a top program but many of the young ladies feel a very strong connection with her staff and feel apart of something bigger. It’s a testament of the culture coach Yo is building down there.

I say good for her and good for ole miss.

Last edited:

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
That's a great point, but Blue Star has her ranked 9th!

But I agree with you that I see nothing wrong with her list.

Reaction Score
Not every top prospect is going to necessarily limit their choice to the top programs. Most do, but many may not. They look at their relationship with the coaches, what the school offers, proximity factors.

Ole miss is far from a top program but many of the young ladies feel a very strong connection with her staff and feel apart of something bigger. It’s a testament of the culture coach Yo is building down there.

I say good for her and good for ole miss.
Can I be jealous of that ? Lol

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Fair enough. There are other factors that would lead to a players final list outside of the top schools not having interest. Just would have thought more “elite 8” schools would be chasing her (which her list includes none of this past seasons)

Gotcha. Well other than a few schools the Elite 8 varies year to year. UCLA was just there in 2018 and Maryland certainly has made it that far multiple times.

Reaction Score

Rice
Wake Forest
Michigan
Harvard
Cal

Doesn’t Harvard only offer need based scholarships but not athletic or merit based scholarships?

Reaction Score

2020 prospect Maliyah Johnson, 6-3 F, Summer Creek HS (Houston, TX), has narrowed her list to six: Colorado, Florida, Kansas, Missouri, Texas, and Texas A&M. No longer in the mix, from her previous top ten: Georgia Tech, Houston, LSU, and Texas Tech.

Ranked #71 by prospect nation

We are running out of post players to get. Guess they are going to go JUCO and try to get Sarah Shematsi.

Reaction Score
Raoul takes a shot of San Diego State and Louisville at the same time:

“—added Asia Avinger (CA) [San Diego State the new Louisville?]”

Really interesting to see them a finalist for three top-100 players.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Caitlin Clark is down to Iowa, Iowa State, and Notre Dame.

Decision seems to come down to chance to be local hero vs. joining established powerhouse. She says that her ultimate goal is to win the National Championship, so I guess she needs to decide whether that's realistic at Iowa or Iowa State or if she needs to go to Notre Dame.

Iowa State has a good recruiting class going in 2020 but would have to think NC contention is more realistic playing with folks like Peoples, Brunelle, Marshall, and Campbell at Notre Dame.

Telling that she refers to winning big at one of the in-state schools as "something special" - "So I think they’re kind of more the powerhouse if I want to go that way, rather than doing something special or doing something that hasn’t been done".

Reaction Score

Decision seems to come down to chance to be local hero vs. joining established powerhouse. She says that her ultimate goal is to win the National Championship, so I guess she needs to decide whether that's realistic at Iowa or Iowa State or if she needs to go to Notre Dame.

Iowa State has a good recruiting class going in 2020 but would have to think NC contention is more realistic playing with folks like Peoples, Brunelle, Marshall, and Campbell at Notre Dame.

Telling that she refers to winning big at one of the in-state schools as "something special" - "So I think they’re kind of more the powerhouse if I want to go that way, rather than doing something special or doing something that hasn’t been done".

It’s funny because it seems like it wasn’t too long ago everyone was saying she was down to Notre Dame and Oregon, then Oregon doesn’t even make her top-3! Speculation and rumors are fun, aren’t they?

In all seriousness, I think ISU would make for an interesting choice. They already have a very backcourt heavy 2020 class, including the very talented top-15 PG Lexi Donarski.

Best of luck on Clark, @Orangutan. Also, it confirmed she was the visitor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom