Non UConn College WBB News | Page 26 | The Boneyard

Non UConn College WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I watched her play a little bit with MSST while they were in Italy. She did not look 100%. I know she was in the mix for a starting spot last year right before she tore her ACL, but possibly just never recovered.

Yes, this is their third transfer, but Jonika Garvin transferred to a D2 which I believe was closer to home. Anyone going to a D2 program likely wasn’t going to get a lot of minutes there.

I’m pretty sure White’s was grades.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You said that the reason for her departure was "playing time", as if that was a unique reason that only happens at Lou.

And as for transfers:
2014: 2/4 = Ekmark & Edwards
2015: 1/3 = Boykin
2016: 0/3
2017: 1/4 = AEH

4 of 14 (28%)
I’ll give you Ekmark transferring for lack of playing time but Boykin never suited up for a game (injuries/academics), and Edwards & AEH didn’t even make it to their 2nd semester at UConn. Their issues were far deeper than a lack of PT.

Reaction Score
I’ll give you Ekmark transferring for lack of playing time but Boykin never suited up for a game (injuries/academics), and Edwards & AEH didn’t even make it to their 2nd semester at UConn. Their issues were far deeper than a lack of PT.
Courtney transferred for the fifth year scholarship and the pre-law degree. She may have wanted more playing time but basketball is not at the top of her list. And more power to her! She gave her all in games and practice at UConn and apparently was a great teammate. I saw a couple of her games last year and she really hasn't changed much. Defensive skills average to below average and a tendency to get lost in the schemes.

Reaction Score
I don't know for sure but historically players transfer from Louisville when they simply don't see a future there......it would be interesting to hear from our Louisville friends about this.....
Walz doesn't do well with bigger players. Ciera Johnson, Erin DeGrate and now Retta Kakala. They come in with high hopes and big fan expectations but when they get on the court they don't fit Walz up tempo style. Plus, they are not in the best shape either. Every school has transfers but Walz goes for the best players he can and the chips fall where they may. He isn't a bad guy but if he doesn't use this strategy Lville has no chance at final fours. Doesn't sound ideal but it's the truth. Retta should do great at Pacific and Ciera will be interesting to watch this year at A&M. She has big shoes to fill. Erin hopefully will continue to progress at Texas Tech.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Walz doesn't do well with bigger players. Ciera Johnson, Erin DeGrate and now Retta Kakala. They come in with high hopes and big fan expectations but when they get on the court they don't fit Walz up tempo style. Plus, they are not in the best shape either. Every school has transfers but Walz goes for the best players he can and the chips fall where they may. He isn't a bad guy but if he doesn't use this strategy Lville has no chance at final fours. Doesn't sound ideal but it's the truth. Retta should do great at Pacific and Ciera will be interesting to watch this year at A&M. She has big shoes to fill. Erin hopefully will continue to progress at Texas Tech. Last year she was a bench player.

My question is why does he recruit players that don't fit his style in the first place? It's not like these girls weren't big to begin with.

Reaction Score
My question is why does he recruit players that don't fit his style in the first place? It's not like these girls weren't big to begin with.
He was desperate for size and wasn't as committed to a team that could run until recently. He didn't do a good job getting the right kind of players. When he went after DeGrate he was just happy to get someone big. He thought Ciera Johnson was going be great but she slowed the team down. Looks like he made the same mistake with Retta. Even Mariya Moore slowed down the team her final year. Jaz Jones was a much better "fit" for Walz style of play. Kylee Shook doesn't fit his style 100% but I think she is going to make it. Sam Fuehring and Myisha Hines-Allen can/could board and run. Walz didn't have the luxury of Geno picking and choosing the kind of player he wants to a degree. His players until last year always seemed to lack chemistry on the offensive end. Last year they actually looked like they knew what they were doing on offense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
he always does.....as usual he will thank him for his interest and invite him to come to campus and show off his fantastic facilities and happy players....
Walz is better off leaving the pr alone at this stage. He has a good program, is a good guy and it is what it is.

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Looks like Raoul's digs are now headed even further south than Louisville. Wonder if Coach Vic does twitter?

Oh he definitely does, just TODAY, he publicly eviscerated a guy on twitter for talking down his players when the news of McCowan being preseason SEC POY of the year was announced. It was very entertaining.

I would post the tweet here but I’m using my phone.

@CoachVic_MSU

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
As the kids say- got you fam

At least Walz is replying to Raoul who has 4.4k followers. Vic is replying to some Gamecocks fan with 43 followers.

Clutch! *insert high_five.GIF*

Reaction Score
As the kids say- got you fam

At least Walz is replying to Raoul who has 4.4k followers. Vic is replying to some Gamecocks fan with 43 followers.

I’m confused didn’t Kia Nurse win the Naismith DPOY award or am I mistaking?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I’m confused didn’t Kia Nurse win the Naismith DPOY award or am I mistaking?
Kia won the WBCA National Defensive Play of the Year award/
McCowan won the Naismith Defensive Player of the Year award.

2018 is the first time Naismith has awarded a Defensive Player of the Year

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Kia won the WBCA National Defensive Play of the Year award/
McCowan won the Naismith Defensive Player of the Year award.

2018 is the first time Naismith has awarded a Defensive Player of the Year

Deja Vu. :)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The Big Ten Women's Basketball Preview will be shown on the Big Ten Network today at 4:00 pm EDT and 3:00 pm CDT.

Reaction Score
Evidently, the procedures for posting here are proving a little too difficult for our friends from candy corn country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom