Non-Key Tweets | Page 826 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
. Tulane?
puke GIF

Reaction Score
I think he means that the plan is for four in the EST zone. Cincinnati, WVU, UCF and UConn.
Yes, that's the only interpretation that makes sense given the current lineup of the Big 12. Memphis, of course, is on Central Time, like most of the Big 12 teams. To get to 20, they could add a couple more teams from their current footprint, with an eastern and western four-team flank, unless the ACC disintegrates and a few solid eastern programs free up.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yes, something is not right. I think he means that the plan is to have four schools in the EST Zone. That would be Cincinnati, UCF, WVU, and UConn.
Unless the rumor of taking some other biggest schools as basketball only partners ends up being correct.

Nova, GT, St. John's?

I don't love a hybrid conference, having lived through one, but it would be nice to have some Regional basketball games.

Reaction Score
Unless the rumor of taking some other biggest schools as basketball only partners ends up being correct.

Nova, GT, St. John's?

I don't love a hybrid conference, having lived through one, but it would be nice to have some Regional basketball games.
Those universities blew up the old Big East in order to escape the gravitational pull of football. It's hard to imagine only a decade later they'd want to move into a conference where they'd be in that boat again, especially with the Big East doing pretty well.

CL82

Reaction Score
Those universities blew up the old Big East in order to escape the gravitational pull of football. It's hard to imagine only a decade later they'd want to move into a conference where they'd be in that boat again, especially with the Big East doing pretty well.
Yeah, on the other hand their media deal is 4 million per school right now with a hoped for 8 million in the next contract. If they were offered substantially more than that, they probably have to take it.

I think the interpretation UConn, WVU, Cinci, and UCF makes more sense.

Reaction Score
Yeah, on the other hand their media deal is 4 million per school right now with a hoped for 8 million in the next contract. If they were offered substantially more than that, they probably have to take it.

I think the interpretation UConn, WVU, Cinci, and UCF makes more sense.

Memphis is CDT, they have enough schools in that time zone now.

Reaction Score
Yes, something is not right. I think he means that the plan is to have four schools in the EST Zone. That would be Cincinnati, UCF, WVU, and UConn.
But he said 20 schools. He's been wrong before.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
But he said 20 schools. He's been wrong before.
He’s always wrong. He’s Oklahoma’s version of the Dude of West Virginia. Not credible in the least.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
the idea that FSU has been bullying the ACC for decades with fake leverage because they know the SEC doesn’t find them attractive is so funny to me.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
the idea that FSU has been bullying the ACC for decades with fake leverage because they know the SEC doesn’t find them attractive is so funny to me.

I’ve been saying this right along. FSU is more valuable to the Big10 than the SEC.

Reaction Score
The SEC already has Florida , which is a bigger brand. Big 10 would be getting a new market and the corresponding cable fees. The question then becomed if FSU is happy going 8-4 most seasons while playing a bunch of north schools

Reaction Score
Love all this talk about Big 12 expansion. Hope they follow through.

The SEC has nothing to worry about with a coast to coast Big 12. The ACC is screwed. But the B1G better evaluate the NE/NYC space pretty quickly because a UConn in a well situated Big 12 would screw them.

Yah, B1G has a lot of grads, but when your all around sports suck then watch the toilet flush. No way will the B1G challenge the SEC in football. Never going to happen.

It will be like the Woody Hayes meltdown. Seriously. Especially when the two Crown Jewels of the ACC, UNC and UVA, get to pick their conference in 2036. Florida and Clemson can only hope for a Big 12 invite.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Love all this talk about Big 12 expansion. Hope they follow through.

The SEC has nothing to worry about with a coast to coast Big 12. The ACC is screwed. But the B1G better evaluate the NE/NYC space pretty quickly because a UConn in a well situated Big 12 would screw them.

Yah, B1G has a lot of grads, but when your all around sports suck then watch the toilet flush. No way will the B1G challenge the SEC in football. Never going to happen.

It will be like the Woody Hayes meltdown. Seriously. Especially when the two Crown Jewels of the ACC, UNC and UVA, get to pick their conference in 2036. Florida and Clemson can only hope for a Big 12 invite.

I agree with most of this. The one area is the B1G. I don’t think they care where UConn lands. They already have Rutgers in the NYC area, albeit without the success we have achieved. If the BIG wanted, they could rotate their bball tourney and include NYC. They have options between Brooklyn and the UBS arena, but Chicago and other mid-west venues are a better fit, imo.

Reaction Score
I agree with most of this. The one area is the B1G. I don’t think they care where UConn lands. They already have Rutgers in the NYC area, albeit without the success we have achieved. If the BIG wanted, they could rotate their bball tourney and include NYC. They have options between Brooklyn and the UBS arena, but Chicago and other mid-west venues are a better fit, imo.

I agree. The B1G showed zero fear in UConn nearly getting an ACC invite twice and being in the running for a Big 12 invite in 2016. But I think that UConn could be a huge boost for the Big 12, especially when it comes to establishing a presence in the Northeast as well as beefing up basketball. But the B1G already has a strong presence in those areas and no one, including the ACC or UCONN, are going to affect them. But you can carve out your own niche in that area.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The B1G's view of us is we could become a quality candidate if.....

The ifs are:

We need to improve our research profile considerably. Not necessarily to where the bulk of the B1G members (and CIC members) currently are but at least within striking distance of them.

We need to improve our football program to the point to where we (and they) can be confident that we will be able to consistently field a somewhat representative team and occasionally a team that is actually pretty good. In reality, a little more than a decade ago the football program was performing at a sufficient level.

We need to continue to demonstrate that we draw eyes in the NY metro area and demonstrate that we can draw eyes in the Boston metro area.

The reason the B1G never really cared if the ACC was after us was because they knew that if we ever reached the point where we would be attractive to them they could come and get us. They also knew that the day we became attractive enough was pretty far in the distance but this wasn't an issue as their decisions are always made slowly.

I've believed for a good amount of time that part of their plan is to encompass the DC ti Boston metroplex and adding UVA and us will help tremendously in that. I don't believe we have a shot at joining the B1G until they can add UVA and possibly another ACC school (or more). I also don't believe that we wi be considered unless we improve in a few ways. If we remain in the BE until that day arrives we will never be able to get to where we need to be, unless some billionaire decides to endow the school with a massive amount of money.

Reaction Score
We need to improve our research profile considerably. Not necessarily to where the bulk of the B1G members (and CIC members) currently are but at least within striking distance of them.

I am a novice here but I believe we would need to grow curent research levels by 3-4X. No easy task. Anyone in the know on this?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I am a novice here but I believe we would need to grow curent research levels by 3-4X. No easy task. Anyone in the know on this?
From what I viewed last week (I'll look for a link when I'm home and not using a cell phone) a 50% increase from where we were (not a small task) would have put us in line with some of the bottom AAU schools.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom