Non-Key Tweets | Page 787 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
And thanks for the posting of the Bylaws....

Some items of note...

....A favorable vote of three-fourths of the Directors is required to extend an invitation for membership to the conference

...Upon official notice of withdrawal, the Member will be subject to a withdrawal payment, as liquidated damages, in an amount equal to three times the total operating budget of the Conference (including any contingency included therein), approved in accordance with Section 2.5.1 of the Bylaws of the Conference (the “Bylaws”), which is in effect as of the date of the official notice of withdrawal.

Reaction Score
The ACC operating budget is about $36 million....

Furthermore, few schools have as little flexibility to seek greener paydays as do those in the ACC. The conference's exit fee, equivalent to three years of the league's operating budget, now exceeds $100 million. Additionally, any member school changing conferences is bound by a grant of rights agreement to forfeit its media revenues to the ACC through the expiration of an ESPN contract that runs through the 2035-36 school year.

(
Note..ND only granted rights for non football sports).

Reaction Score
also re Notre Dame in bylaws...

“Representatives of the University of Notre Dame serving on the Board, the Executive Committee or other Committees shall recuse themselves from voting on or participating in – and if asked shall leave the room during – the discussion of matters specifically relating to football, including media and broadcast rights relating to football, and such representatives shall not be considered in determining whether a quorum is present for any such vote.”

Reaction Score
Football is covered under the Notre Dame/ACC ancillary contract signed in conjunction with the GOR. And yes, the Irish did not grant football media rights...only signed an agreement that, if they joined a conference for football prior to 2037...it would be the ACC.
We've heard this from many ACC people but has there ever been any acknowledgment from Notre Dame that this is real?

Reaction Score
I believe on our end it means we would have to withdraw our sports if we join another conference. It really matters on the language of the contract.

Reaction Score
We've heard this from many ACC people but has there ever been any acknowledgment from Notre Dame that this is real?

Notre Dame fan site:

It all goes back to the ACC deal that Notre Dame has. The deal states that Notre Dame competes in the ACC for most of their sports, like basketball and baseball, while football gets to remain independent. The caveat is that they have to play five ACC teams annually in football. This deal goes through 2036, and during that time period, the only conference Notre Dame can join is the ACC.

Reaction Score
or The Sporting News..

The Irish are hitched to a pair of television contracts. The deal with NBC runs through 2025 and draws approximately $15 million per year. ESPN's contract with the ACC runs through 2036. That grant of rights deal includes language that if Irish choose to join a conference in football before 2036, they are contractually obligated to join the ACC.

Reaction Score
or The Sporting News..

The Irish are hitched to a pair of television contracts. The deal with NBC runs through 2025 and draws approximately $15 million per year. ESPN's contract with the ACC runs through 2036. That grant of rights deal includes language that if Irish choose to join a conference in football before 2036, they are contractually obligated to join the ACC.
Notre Dame fan site:

It all goes back to the ACC deal that Notre Dame has. The deal states that Notre Dame competes in the ACC for most of their sports, like basketball and baseball, while football gets to remain independent. The caveat is that they have to play five ACC teams annually in football. This deal goes through 2036, and during that time period, the only conference Notre Dame can join is the ACC.
Let me know when you find a link that actually answers the question.

Maybe there is a quote out there from someone at Notre Dame that says this is real but, I do not remember ever seeing it.

Reaction Score
OK...just don't believe the bunch of reporting on it...I don't think that you will find A Notre Dame official confirming the contract to play an average of five games a year with the ACC...must not be so..they do it to be grand.

Swarbrick did say...

"Swarbrick also said that if Notre Dame ever must surrender football independence, the ACC will be its home."

Chicago Tribune

Sept. 12, 2012

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Not a tweet and the website sources a premium article from a Twin City newspaper (don’t even know if this is a good paper or not), but it says the Big12 recently approached the University of Minnesota about leaving the Big10 to join their merry band. Minnesota obviously declined, but that’s still very interesting. Is the Big12 just throwing out invites to see who bites? That’s desperation mode.

Reaction Score
And...Let me know when you find a link of a Notre Dame official that says that they do not have such a committment to the ACC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not a tweet and the website sources a premium article from a Twin City newspaper (don’t even know if this is a good paper or not), but it says the Big12 recently approached the University of Minnesota about leaving the Big10 to join their merry band. Minnesota obviously declined, but that’s still very interesting. Is the Big12 just throwing out invites to see who bites? That’s desperation mode.

Big 12: We’d like you to join our conference

Minnesota: Um, what do you have to offer?

Big 12: Well, we can offer less money and less conference stability.

Minnesota: Yeah, I’m just go with no, but thank you for your interest in Golden Gopher Athletics.

Reaction Score
OK...just don't believe the bunch of reporting on it...I don't think that you will find A Notre Dame official confirming the contract to play an average of five games a year with the ACC...must not be so..they do it to be grand.

Swarbrick did say...

"Swarbrick also said that if Notre Dame ever must surrender football independence, the ACC will be its home."

Chicago Tribune

Sept. 12, 2012

"I want to reinforce that it's our intention to remain independent," Swarbrick said. "That's central to us and central to our discussions. If something drastic should change, we're committed to the ACC. We would expect this to be the home if we made a change. But I don't want to send the wrong message: Our intent is to remain independent."

So still no proof?

And...Let me know when you find a link of a Notre Dame official that says that they do not have such a committment to the ACC.

I don't need to find anything. You're the one that is so desperately hoping Notre Dame will rescue the ACC from the the contract you signed.

Don't bother responding. I could care less about FSU. The fact that you troll a UConn board tells me all I need to know about you. You just became the first person I put on ignore

Reaction Score
"I want to reinforce that it's our intention to remain independent," Swarbrick said. "That's central to us and central to our discussions. If something drastic should change, we're committed to the ACC. We would expect this to be the home if we made a change. But I don't want to send the wrong message: Our intent is to remain independent."

So still no proof?

I don't need to find anything. You're the one that is so desperately hoping Notre Dame will rescue the ACC from the the contract you signed.

Don't bother responding. I could care less about FSU. The fact that you troll a UConn board tells me all I need to know about you. You just became the first person I put on ignore
Am I the only that confuses the handles of Bobby and Billy?

Reaction Score

So still no proof?

Was this also said in 2012? I think I remember that phrasing.

Reaction Score
Yep...Swarbrick always maintains that independence is #1 for the Irish...but also stated in 2012 that if they ever join a conference it will be the ACC...about the same time that the ACC-Notre Dame contract/GOR was finalized.

Reaction Score
Yep...Swarbrick always maintains that independence is #1 for the Irish...but also stated in 2012 that if they ever join a conference it will be the ACC...about the same time that the ACC-Notre Dame contract/GOR was finalized.
2012 a polar shift Mayan apocalypse was suppose to occur. Many things that were supposed to happen did not or will not come to pass.

ND will never join the ACC in full ( unless COVID-22 happens this season).

Reaction Score
You know I really don't care as much as I used to...I don't even go to games in person because the costs are too much. That and the fact that my 1999 Durango was totaled smashing into a Steak n Shake is just too much for me to overcome.

At least we still have our 35 inch plasma tv at home.

Reaction Score
You know I really don't care as much as I used to...I don't even go to games in person because the costs are too much. That and the fact that my 1999 Durango was totaled smashing into a Steak n Shake is just too much for me to overcome.

At least we still have our 35 inch plasma tv at home.
Please tell about smashing into a Steak n Shake.

Reaction Score
Big 12: We’d like you to join our conference

Minnesota: Um, what do you have to offer?

Big 12: Well, we can offer less money and less conference stability.

Minnesota: Yeah, I’m just go with no, but thank you for your interest in Golden Gopher Athletics.
They should have pitched it with “And you don’t have to be in the B1G for hockey anymore. You can go be friends with all your old Minnesota friends. And also North Dakota!”

Reaction Score
Notre Dame fan site:

That contract is merely a speed bump if ND wants to leave the ACC. That would involve negotiations on what that promise was worth and what are the damages if breached.

Unlike the GOR, it does not encumber TV rights. This would just be plain vanilla $$$ calculation, like the exit fee.

And yes, there is such a contract. It is not available to the public since both ND and the ACC are private entities. No FOIA.

Reaction Score
To be clear, ND has a GOR that they’d have to pay out. It’s smaller than everyone else though, but it’s still over $100 million at this point. They’d also have a $100 million+ in exit fees. Then whatever damages decided for the contract addendum regarding football. Not that $200+ million isn’t doable with the numbers being thrown around, but it definitely is not nothing. Though heck, I wouldn’t be surprised if the B10 found some change in their seat cushions and bought out the Irish if it came down to it.

Reaction Score
Shows what big time football has become...$200 million Exit fees becoming pocket change.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom