Non-Key Tweets | Page 741 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says: Hearing the American will announce new media rights deal with ESPN.
Money will be a substantial improvement, at least from Memphis' point of view.

How old is this cat now? Going on 10 years on this board - or at least so it seems.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 2h2 hours ago
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/02/26/former-big-12-president-proposes-strategic-alliance-with-the-pac-12-the-conferences-should-embrace-the-future-together/ … There is so much to unpack here.. 1) Gee thinks this is a brilliant idea? If he does..then he isn’t hiding his worry about Big 12 past 2025 very well. 2) Gee doesn’t believe(and neither do most people involved in both conferences)merger is possible.

Why would Gee be interested in having an scheduling alliance with PAC?...having all 3 non-con games with PAC? Gee is looking to increase value of Big 12 content before Big12 next TV negotiations.

But the punch line to this all...Sooners & Longhorns would scoff at this proposal. Big 12 unity is still so far away...

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 2h2 hours ago
Let me crow a bit... who told you about this Big 12 - Pac 12 media merger alliance a month ago? Let's see... who could it have been... IT WAS ME!!!!!

Big stuff people... I'm not sure why the Big 12 and Pac 12 people are not more excited.

Replying to @theDudeofWV
Because there is no unity in the Big 12. Because this proposal shows once again, through the honesty of Gee, some in Big 12 know they need to increase value of B12 content before next TV/Media negotiations.

Replying to @flugempire
Ah, no... and WVU likely will not be part of that merger.

Replying to @flugempire
Gee is a visionary leader. The quasi merger with the Pac 12 is a chance to stabilize both conference far into the future and... if they parter with DAZN might be the first to monetize fan base/fan loyalty.

All 3 non-con games? All 3? This has no chance of Oklahoma or Texas even considering this proposal.

Replying to @flugempire
They are... sorry.... don't tell me what I know or don't know. Everybody in the Big 12 is on board with this... nobody wants to leave - except maybe WVU for obvious reasons.

Everybody is on board with this?...all 3 non con games playing vs PAC? Oklahoma & Texas are not on board.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 1h1 hour ago
Replying to @flugempire
You know that? Like you knew this was happening? Let me be very clear on this point. This is sanctioned by everyone in the Big 12 and especially by Texas and Oklahoma. It would not, could not, have progressed without their approval.

Replying to @flugempire
Tell me how you know OU and UT are not on board? I know for a fact that Texas is certainly on board. I know that OU has given its blessing. BECAUSE THEY GET TO KEEP THEIR KINGDOM AND GET AS MUCH MONEY AS THE SEC/B1G. Why would they not "be on board".

J. Michael Young‏ @JMichaelYoung1 1h1 hour ago
Replying to @theDudeofWV @flugempire
Because it limits their scheduling flexibility. I’m imagine Texas is ok with agreeing to one such game a year. But not three.

You need to stop and think of the money that would be involved. Texas doesn't like playing outside of Texas... but california isn't far away.

J. Michael Young‏ @JMichaelYoung1 1h1 hour ago
Texas has no problem playing outside of Texas. Believe me, I’ve had plenty of great road trips over the years. The AD knows donors want those trips.

Recents schedules don't show it... This potential deal with the Pac 12 gives OU and UT the same money and bragging rights as the SEC and B1G while getting to run their own conference.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 47m47 minutes ago
Just read WVU 247 Board and there is no support from the posters for this plan. Just read 2 PAC school boards and they are strongly against the plan as well.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 45m45 minutes ago
Read all the boards you want. I don't. I talk to the people involved.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 1h1 hour ago
Replying to @theDudeofWV
Its in the article Dude. “*** For competitive reasons, the head coaches wouldn’t agree to play every non-conference game against Power Five opponents. Nor would the Big 12 athletic directors agree to commit every non-conference opening to teams from the Pac-12, and vice versa.”

I know more than the article.

Replying to @flugempire
Let me point out the plan is being worked out. the heart of the deal would be a combining of the media rights for both conferences in preparation for the next TV deal. Specifics will change, but both Texas and OU are all in....

Replying to @flugempire @theDudeofW[B]V[/B]
Could PAC & Big 12 come to terms in regards to a scheduling alliance which commits to 1 non-con game a year?....sure. But there is no way on God’s green Earth Oklahoma or Texas would ever agree to all 3 non-con games being played vs PAC schools.

Really? The details will be worked out. that's not the big point of the plan anyway. The deal combines media rights. You might even see ESPN engineer the ACC and SEC into the scenario.

Of course big point of this particular plan was including all 3 non-con games..this is what the article is all about. As for combining Media rights.. Interesting idea but PAC would have to make major adjustments to their distribution model before this could even be discussed.

Replying to @flugempire
Well, read between the lines. A new TV deal is the perfect time to fix a broken model.

Replying to @flugempire
This either happens or the Big 12 poaches two from the Pac 12. The Pac 12 knows this...

I know you’ve been expressing this idea of Big 12 poaching 2 PAC schools. But keep in mind. 1) If PAC Schls sign deal with Investment Firm (create PAC-CO) Big 12 wont be able to poach PAC Schls. 2) Arizona State’s current President won’t go Big 12 and leave PAC.

You know this how? Maybe it's not the arizona schools the Big 12 would poach. Maybe its another school or two? I can't say all that I know.. .just let it play out.

Replying to @flugempire
There is no doubt in my mind that both OU and UT want to the Big 12 to thrive and will be the flagship members for many, many years to come. If the Big 12-Pac 12 sign the deal I expect with ESPN/DAZN it will be one of the largest in history.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 1h1 hour ag
Replying to @JMichaelYoung1 @flugempire
Forget about the scheduling for now... the point is a combined media rights deal with ESPN and somebody like DAZN. Games broadcast worldwide. It's likely WVU leaves, BU is dropped and Arizona & Arizona State slide over to the Big 12 side.

Ok Chris...but my tweets are based on the article, which is about the 3 non-con games. Never going to happen. The article also says EX Kansas State President quickly dismissed the idea of Big 12 trying to add Arizona & Arizona State.

Replying to @flugempire @JMichaelYoung1
yea... they want this deal to happen.

Replying to @flugempire @JMichaelYoung1
Greg, I know you want to believe the B1G somehow lands OU and UT, but it's not happening. How did I know about this a month ago? I know more I can't write about because it was OTR.

You keep saying this..but it’s not true. B1G is targeting these schools. But these schools (UT/OU) have many viable options and for now keeping the exit ramps clear for a future change. Not necessarily B1G.

Stop Greg... we both know that the B1G isn't targeting anyone. Texas is locked down by ESPN until 2035 and the B1G said no to OU in 2011. Stop lying about that.

Sorry Christopher. This proposal is an honest stab for Big 12 to increase leverage going into next TV/Media negotiations...but it’s not going anywhere and it only pulled the curtain on the worries going into 2025 for Gee and some others in Big 12 Conf.

I would think the guy who knew about it a month ago would know more about it than your opinion.

Replying to @theDudeofWV
And if WVU would not be part of this new arrangement as you say...why would Gee be the one supporting it?

Replying to @flugempire
Gee is chair of the Big 12's executive committee. It's his job to make this work. The Big 12 - Pac 12 is going to have a partnership with ESPN, DAZN & Leerfield IMG College that will push Big 12 revenue equal to that of the SEC & B1G. Perhaps more.

Randy D‏ @cubsgop 2h2 hours ago
Replying to @flugempire @theDudeofWV
I'm guessing USC ain't giving up their game with Notre Dame. Neither is Stanford

Why not? What does it do for them? It benefits ND more than either of those schools. The money the Big 12 and Pac 12 would get from this would be astronomical.

Trip Manfro ‏ @pfac51 55m55 minutes ago
iowa state fan on board with quitting the iowa game?

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 53m53 minutes ago
I think details will be worked out. I think if the Big 12 is distributing $50-55M per member they will say "thank you sir may I have another."

Trip Manfro ‏ @pfac51 51m51 minutes ago
i have been an advocate for 2 on and 2 off years for iowa/ iowa state. there is certainly an out clause for "additional conf football games" that Iowa could have executed when the conf went to 9 games. iowa didn't. big12 wants that B1G level money. i don't disagree.

Replying to @flugempire
The combined rights along with a concurrent streaming deal with DAZN means the B12-P12 hybrid likely is on par with B1G and SEC.

Trip Manfro ‏ @pfac51 59m59 minutes ago
remember when the B1G and Pac12 had a football scheduling alliance?

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 52m52 minutes ago
Yep..the B1G/PAC proposal was for 1 non-con game. Not 3. Not all 3. This is what the article was talking about. This is why people weren’t jumping for joy in PAC & Big 12 when Christopher asked why they weren’t earlier today.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 58m58 minutes ago
Don't argue with me about the merits of the proposed marriage of the Big 12 and Pac 12. It's not perfect. Details need to be hashed out. It's not going to lock down all 3 OoC games in the final version... if it happens.

Doug‏ @NebGradDubDub 53m53 minutes ago
Replying to @theDudeofWV
Likely wouldn’t include all current B12 schools.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 51m51 minutes ago
Yep. And because it wouldn’t include all Big 12 schools the PAC won’t see the value of this deal.

hristopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 31m31 minutes ago
WVU and Baylor... WVU to the ACC and Baylor dropped.

Jake‏ @jakesportstake 58m58 minutes ago
So are you saying that the P12 and B12 will both schedule 9 conf games and then the 3 non conf games will only be vs each other? There are multiple reasons this won’t happen 1. Notre Dame plays Stanford and USC every year. 2. B12 teams want east coast games for recruiting

Jake‏ @jakesportstake 55m55 minutes ago
3. Middle to bottom tier schools rely on cupcake games to become bowl eligible. 12 P5 games means less bowl eligible teams. 4. Top P5 programs rely on having 7 home games every year. OU, UT etc won’t sign off on something that sacrifices the 7th home game

Jake‏ @jakesportstake 53m53 minutes ago
Replying to @jakesportstake @theDudeofWV and 2 others
5. 12 teams vs 10 teams doesn’t work. B12 would need to expand to 12 for it to work

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 58m58 minutes ago
Replying to @jakesportstake @JMichaelYoung1 @flugempire
Don't argue with me about the merits of the proposed marriage of the Big 12 and Pac 12. It's not perfect. Details need to be hashed out. It's not going to lock down all 3 OoC games in the final version... if it happens.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 32m32 minutes ago
Replying to @jakesportstake @JMichaelYoung1 @flugempire
Look, this proposed marriage is about money. It's no different than the B1G adding Rutgers and UMD except there is room and time to massage the deal until everyone gets a happy ending.

What the proposed relationship does is almost guarantee both conference pull even with the SEC and B1G in terms of money. It would secure both long term.

LAT‏ @letsgomtnrs 35m35 minutes ago
You know far more about this than I do.... But other that USC, Washington and Stanford (when they're good) I just don't see it. Of course the PAC12 people probably say other than UT and OU they don't see it...

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 27m27 minutes ago
Replying to @letsgomtnrs
Personally I don't think the Pac 12 plays real football... lol... Here's what I think... ESPN and DAZN are pushing this from behind. It takes inventory away from Fox, it locks down both the Big 12 and Pac 12 and gives DAZN streaming content it needs.

By the way...I love the Big 12, but any merger by the Big 12/Pac 12 would mean WVU is headed to the ACC (most likely) or SEC by 2026.

David Lyons‏ @dlyons2009 2h2 hours ago
Replying to @theDudeofWV
AAC

Wrong... why do people doubt me...

ME: Champagne dreams, Chris. Champagne dreams. The "bargaining phase" may have just begun in earnest.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Oh boy . . . The Dud of WV is at it again. This is UVA to the Big10 all over again.

There is no way that any of the schools would give up their 3 non conference games like that. Dumb.

Reaction Score
The basketball interconference "Challenges" are fun.

I saw that the Big 12 and the Big East have signed up for the Big 12-Big East Challenge....

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said this alliance will be similar to the current Big 12/ SEC challenge. The series doesn’t have an official name yet, but the hope is it becomes an “event” over a short period similar to the Big 12/ SEC challenge. For now, the games are expected to be played in December.

Reaction Score
Duke Ian MacNeal‏ @Ian_MacNeal 1h1 hour ago
California schools are prohibited from playing Oklahoma schools because the State allows some faith based organizations to place orphans with only couples who are naturally married. Existing contracts are grandfathered so OU will play UCLA this year.

Replying to @Ian_MacNeal @flugempire
I'm sure they know that... and will have a work around... like playing in Dallas.

Replying to @flugempire @NebGradDubDub
WVU and Baylor... WVU to the ACC and Baylor dropped.

Reaction Score
Yeah...Dr. Gee is so smart.

So smart that he frosted Notre Dame's leadership when at Ohio State...appeared to be anti catholic..or was just an idiot.

The president of Ohio State University said Notre Dame was never invited to join the Big Ten because the university's priests are not good partners, joking that "those damn Catholics" can't be trusted, according to a recording of a meeting Gordon Gee attended late last year.

In the recording, Gee referred specifically to dealing with the Rev. Ned Joyce, Notre Dame's longtime chief financial officer, who died in 2004.

Notre Dame spokesman Dennis Brown said, "We find the remarks most regrettable, particularly regarding Father Joyce, who served Notre Dame and collegiate athletics so well and for so long.

So now Gee is at WVU and the Dude thinks that he is so smart that he will bring WVU to the ACC...as Notre Dame's chosen partner?

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 3h3 hours ag
Earlier I was a bit over the top about the Big 12 - Pac 12 whatever we should call it. I did learn about the proposal more than a month ago and I've stayed on top of it since. Like everyone else I'm skeptical as to how it would actually work.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 3h3 hours ago
The most important takeaway is that the Big 12 is no longer a static conference - the cold war between Oklahoma and Texas is over.

The Big 12, lead by Dr. Gee, is looking to redefine the revenue model for college sports so that all those involved, including student-athletes, benefit.

Based on what I know, the proposal on the table isn't perfect, but they have six years to perfect it. There are no guarantees, but at least the Big 12 and Pac 12 are talking and exploring how they can work together to solve their mutual issues.

There really is no other option for either the Big 12 or the Pac 12. Each has unique issues that seem insurmountable unless they collaborate.

If DAZN is going to overpay for to share in TV rights they are going to want enough content to justify the expense and a ten member Big 12 doesn't deliver enough content - so with the door shut on expanding with G5 programs the only place the Big 12 could turn is the Pac 12.

The Pac 12 has its own unique issues. It has a time zone problem, a revenue problem and other issues that make the partnership with the Big 12 the only viable solution.

It's in the best interests of both conferences to find a way to work together.

As for the Big 12 its implausible to think Texas and Oklahoma have not given their blessing to exploring a relationship. Fans of both programs may like to believe otherwise but the truth is that the Longhorns and Sooners have a great thing with the Big 12.

Some type of relationship with the Pac 12 gives both OU the cachet of association with the top tier of academic schools they crave.

We could also see the T3 broadcast rights of everyone but Texas purchased by DAZN who bundles those rights with rebroadcast of the football and basketball from P12N.

As for WVU... the partnership with the Pac 12 would make Big 12 membership unsustainable in the long run without subsidies. If this relationship comes to fruition I expect WVU to land in the ACC.

In the event that WVU doesn't land in the ACC I would expect the Big 12 to exempt the Mountaineers from playing Pac 12 schools and perhaps even gift WVU with an additional travel subsidy.

The money being invested by ESPN in the ACCN and the potential investment of ESPN and a partner such as DAZN gives them clout with the conferences. I expect ESPN to facilitate WVU's entry into the ACC sooner rather than later with the Big 12's blessing.

I want to make a point of saying that no one at WVU has said anything to me about the ACC. WVU is very happy in the Big 12 and its been a mutually beneficial relationship.

My "informed opinion" that WVU will be an ACC member is based on my conversations with industry experts and others. Personally, as much as I love the Big 12, I believe that ACC membership is best for the Mountaineers.

We who support Big 12 programs should be comforted that, for the first time in a long time, the Big 12 is acting with unity to secure its profitability and long-term future.

The other 8 members of the Big 12 can bitch and moan about OU and UT all we like... but we should recognize their desire to work together with the rest of the conf to ensure the Big 12 survives and thrives.

Finally, Gordon Gee is the GOAT.

Julius Johnson‏ @JuliusJ85224635 2h2 hours ago
I don’t understand what 1 has to do with the other.There is no connection. Why would ACC invite us just because Big12 & PAC Commissioners got drunk together and came up with some sort of merger? ACC will act independently of PAC & Big 12.ND has no desire to move off of INDY FB.

Replying to @JuliusJ85224635
ESPN...

Greg, Dr. Gee is the chair of the Big 12's executive committee. It's his job to secure the future of the conf. WVU isn't unhappy with the Big 12. It's the geography that's the issue. So engineering the plan that secures the conf is something Gee and WVU want to do.

Honorable people act honorably. Gee has stepped in and became the leader of the Big 12. He's the one who's calmed the waters and managed to get all 10 programs on the same page. If this works... my bet is that the Big 12 would let WVU walk early and with their blessing.

It's one thing to leave a conf in a huff... like Neb and UMD... its another to part as friends with the realization the relationship was mutually beneficial but not ultimately sustainable.

Finally, many don't know that you are the one who set me on the path to research GoRs, value and all things expansion. It was because of the fear you generated that Texas would pull out of the Big 12 that I've spent the last 8 years researching and making contacts.

Everything I've learned, all the people I've came to know and trust, they all say the same thing. There's not going to be more realignment. The economics don't support it and the networks oppose it.

Replying to @theDudeofWV @NebGradDubDub
But yet Gee says there will be...

The proposed partnership between the Big 12 and he Pac 12 is the only viable option for both. As for WVU, everybody would understand if the Mountaineers transferred from the Big 12 to the ACC. Nobody would be against it... especially ESPN.

But you are missing the ACC component. ACC is not expanding to 16 without Notre Dame. Notre Dame is not interested. Next expanded FB playoffs will have at least 3 spots available to non conference champs..if not all 8. ACC is not expanding in 2025.

Let me point out that I believe when I first mentioned this was in the works you panned the idea.

What idea did I panned?

I'm not a fraud. I don't have an insider who bestows knowledge upon me or claims to know the inner workings of other conferences. I've worked hard since 2011 to understand the landscape and the factors at play.

I've made contacts with access to real information and I've earned their respect by understanding the issues and by keeping my mouth shut when asked. It's to the point where I can ask a question and get it answered.

Ok Chris. But ACC is not expanding without Notre Dame. Are you saying your contacts believe Notre Dame is ready to take the ACC Football plunge and join the Conference in Football?

So please... if you are interested in legitimate discussion the benefits and drawbacks of any Big 12 - Pac 12 collusion I'm game for civil discourse. If you insist that UT and OU are not on the bus with the rest of the Big 12 then we're both wasting our time because I know better

We are having a civil discourse. But I don’t agree that there is unity in Big 12. You hint from time to time yourself there may be trouble up ahead unless Big 12 does some reforms for beyond 2025.

Gordon Gee would never chase this rabbit down a wormhole without the full blessing of the two programs that control the future of the conference. And you, as a B1G guy, should know how capable Dr. Gee is at machinations.

Here's where I remind you that Dr. Gee played a vital role in orchestrating many of the B1G moves you are so proud of. It's Dr. Gee's hand at the helm that's guiding this ship and based on his track record it will reach port and find treasure.

But in the article itself it said this attempt was not sponsored by Big 12...and Bowlsby said in article the 3 non-con games is not practical. There is no evidence OU & UT has any interest in any scheduling alliance with PAC.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 2h2 hours a
Could PAC & Big 12 do 1 game non-conference scheduling alliance?...sure. Would that actually increase the value of both Big 12 or PAC Tier 1/2 value? Probably not since most schools would just replace a P5 slot Non-Con with a PAC P5 Non-Con in their future scheduling.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 31m31 minutes ago
I’m not going to discuss the Big 12’s next TV deal or any potential/possible/probable relationship/partnership with the Big 12. There’s just too much hay to cut between hither & yither & more than one copperhead waiting for a single misstep.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 29m29 minutes ago
My final word on the matter is this... some type of merger of TV rights that produces the quantity & quality of inventory is the only viable cure for both the Big 12 & Pac 12. They have an opportunity to jump out ahead of the curve.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 26m26 minutes ago
Fortune follows the brave & the bold. I hope the powers that be in Dallas & San Francisco can set aside their egos & go boldly where no conference has gone before.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 26m26 minutes ago
As for WVU... whatever happens the Mountaineers will be more than ok. No worries.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What's changed that would make West Virginia attractive to the ACC? Academics? The demeanor of its fans? If there were a merger or the Big 12 and Pac 12, the Mountaineers might stand a chance with the SEC, but more than likely they'd either be relegated to the AAC or stay with the Big 12.

If the latter, I'm trying to form a mental image of Stanford and West Virginia conducting joint research into the economics of keeping moribund coal mines alive in the 21st century, the epidemiology of opioid consumption along the banks of the Tug Fork of the Big Sandy River, the physics and chemistry of couch-burning, or the calculus involved in plotting the trajectories of all those D-cells thrown at visiting fans.

As regards the genius of Gordon Gee, let's not overlook the reason he ended up in Morgantown. He was relieved of his responsibilities at OSU because he couldn't keep his mouth shut, and many of his public pronouncements were offensive. In other words, his own loose lips sank his ship, and the only thing that kept him from drowning was the life-ring thrown by West Virginia. Think of it as career regression.

Reaction Score
What's changed that would make West Virginia attractive to the ACC? Academics? The demeanor of its fans? If there were a merger or the Big 12 and Pac 12, the Mountaineers might stand a chance with the SEC, but more than likely they'd either be relegated to the AAC or stay with the Big 12.

I don’t think WVU is going anywhere. I don’t think WVU is going to the ACC.

One thing that has changed, however, is the reputation of the ACC.

The facade has crumbled. The academic standards hurdle is no longer a talking point with addition of Louiseville. UNC, Cuse, and Ville are the usual suspects for NCAA violations.

WVU would fit into today’s ACC, not because WVU has elevated, but because the ACC no longer carries the illusion of higher standards and academic excellence.

That said, I don’t think WVU is going anywhere.

Reaction Score

The facade has crumbled. The academic standards hurdle is no longer a talking point with addition of Louiseville. UNC, Cuse, and Ville are the usual suspects for NCAA violations.

WVU would fit into today’s ACC, not because WVU has elevated, but because the ACC no longer carries the illusion of higher standards and academic excellence.

You're absolutely right the ACC has changed, and those changes hurt WVU even more. Even if the facade of "academics" is thrown out, WVU still doesn't fit. The entire state has fewer people than any of the competitors for that supposed 16th spot. If ACC ever goes to 16 (with ND 15 obviously) then it'll go to UConn or Cincy. They both have far more value than WVU to the ACC for a traditional network, both in areas that have population and TVs.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I'm not sure that they have fully abandoned those standards in their own eyes. NCAA violations are meaningless in the context of academic attractiveness to undergrads and grad students. The academic reputations of most ACC schools remains very good.

That said, what has changed the most is that the ACC has gone from a distant 4th place in college football, just ahead of the Pac12, to winning 3 of the last 6 championships. They don't need WVU anymore.

Reaction Score

By the way...jim delaney's retirement is proof the B1G isn't targeting OU or Texas. Anybody care to guess why this would be proof?

Daniel Mountcastle‏ @Expansion_Crush 3h3 hours ago
Shoot

You want to guess?

Because he would have had it locked up before he retired?

He would want the credit. And with Texas being locked up by ESPN until 2035 we know that's impossible.

Replying to @theDudeofWV @Expansion_Crush
Delany will be 72 years old and have been it for over 30 years when he retires. His people are in place at FOX and BTN...they will be there long after Delany steps down. Pieces are in place.

LOL... you guys.... I'm almost sorry I started this... nobody wants to read of us arguing... Let's just say I'm confident that Gee's connections to the B1G are very, very accurate as well as his knowledge of what OU intends.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 31m31 minutes ago
BTM has spoken. Next 2 tweets:

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 29m29 minutes ago
BTM:

“I would agree with those in Chicago who are tabbing Northwestern AD Jim Phillips the favorite to become the new Big Ten Commissioner. He knows all the levers. Phillips will also be available next summer to slide into the seat which is important for a seamless transition”

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 27m27 minutes ago
BTM:

“As for the impact of possible Big Ten expansion in near future it won’t hurt that Phillips, currently professor at Kellogg, has a relationship with James Gallogly and most recently added OU BOR member. Oddly, Kellogg might become birthplace of next Big Ten expansion.”

Reaction Score
I see where you are going with this...

What they need is a team guaranteed to make Notre Dame want to jump in the pool instead of dangling their toes in.

Reaction Score

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 14m14 minutes ago
Replying to @flugempire @snoopdoug44
Greg, didn’t you tell everyone at the time the B1G was looking south at UVA & UNC?

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 3m3 minutes ago
Everyone knows Chris, Maryland wasn’t the first choice for Big Ten out of the ACC. But they were the ones who were willing to get out after the ACC Exit Fee vote which the Terps did not vote on when it passed in the ACC.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 9s9 seconds ago
Rutgers (New Jersey) & Maryland have increased Big Ten content exposure into eastern media...which is a big deal. It’s something Boren wanted Big 12 to do in last go-around. But ESPN didn’t want any newly elevated P5 programs to hinder the value of ACC schools.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 3m3 minutes ago
Replying to @theDudeofWV @snoopdoug44
It was a move to do many things. Increase recruiting grounds..increase Eastern media exposure...increase Research landscape..to give PSU what they wanted... The Rutgers/Maryland addition has not slow down or crippled the Big Ten in any manner Chris.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 2m2 minutes ago
You always say Chris no one moves in realignment without it being about money. Of course the big component was about money. And it’s been a success. FOX wanted Eastern content under its portfolio.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 4m4 minutes ago
And before you claim that I didnt tell you UMD was leaving kow that I can whip up the emails to prove it.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 7m7 minutes ago
Everyone knows? Greg, that’s BS. The B1G was after markets. They added two of the largest markets in the U.S. & gambled that UMD leaving the ACC would cause others to leave so they could add more large markets. It was not a move to counter the ACC.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 5m5 minutes ago
It was a move to do many things. Increase recruiting grounds..increase Eastern media exposure...increase Research landscape..to give PSU what they wanted... The Rutgers/Maryland addition has not slow down or crippled the Big Ten in any manner Chris.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 7m7 minutes ago
Greg, stop. I was the one who told you UMD was leaving and why. Don’t make it seem like the B1G move was anything but a money grab.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 4m4 minutes ago
You always say Chris no one moves in realignment without it being about money. Of course the big component was about money. And it’s been a success. FOX wanted Eastern content under its portfolio.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 25s25 seconds ago
The claim that the B1G added RU & UMD as a countermove to the ACC is a lie. The B1G had valid monetary reasons at the time to act. But if the model continues to change that to a liability don’t claim it was necessary to keep PSU. It insults our intelligence.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 41m41 minutes ago
Outgoing B1G commissioner Jim Delany had enough data at his disposal to foresee the decline of carriage fees but failed to properly consider the warning signs when he lead the B1G to add two financially troubled programs solely because of their cable markets.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 37m37 minutes ago
The idea that the B1G added UMD & RU because a desperate ACC reached out to Penn State is unequivocally false.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 25m25 minutes ago
B1G trying to cover up its mistake. I’m happy that Rutgers caught a cab out of the Big East. I’m glad for them, but please let’s not try to reframe the landscape at the time to coverup for an error.

CHOP‏ @Ruknighttime 22m22 minutes ago
Whats the error?
Market viwer numbers and revenue for b10 went up 35% after RU joined.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 10m10 minutes ago
Replying to @whoiscockrobin @Ruknighttime
Good for RU. Nobody blames them.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 25m25 minutes ago
The ACC was in panic mode the minute FSU found out the new TV awarded the conf for adding Pitt & Syracuse paid only $14M per year with a lump sum payable at the end that raised the average payout to $17M.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 22m22 minutes ago
In what world did adding two financially troubled programs neck-deep in red ink without much recent success make sense unless you had a conf network ready to cash in on their markets?

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 21m21 minutes ago
Raise your hand if you believe the B1G would have added RU & UMD without bringing the millions of cable subscribers in their markets to BTN....

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 45m45 minutes ago
History will not be kind to Delaney.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 42m42 minutes ago
But history will be very kind to Jim Delany.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 37m37 minutes ago
I don’t think so. Trying to spin the RU/UMD addition by claiming the ACC was hunting PSU is crazy. PSU had a GoR in place & FSU was still exploring exit options.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 34m34 minutes ago
Jim Delany’s 30 year career as Big Ten Commissioner was a success in any measurement. Delany always wanted the Big Ten to become a 2 region conference. Nobody is perfect. But to say history will be unkind to Delany is more about your feelings toward the B1G than anything else.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 20m20 minutes ago
Replying to @flugempire
Great men are brought low in the history books by a single mistake.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 13m13 minutes ago
By the way.... Penn State increased the B1G’s eastern media exposure. Not RU. RU football is back page coverage & WVU is just as popular in DC (& more so in western MD) than UMD.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 8m8 minutes ago
New Jersey & Maryland are full of Big Ten Alumni & fans. Big Ten ratings along this region has only grown after including these 2 big research universities. FOX is happy. Big Ten Presidents are happy. Money is great. Delany will be judged just fine by history.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 2h2 hours ago
Brief sabbatical over for now. Work demands leave me not enough time to share. Things have been brewing though. That B12/P12 scheduling alliance? Besides telling you guys that was an option we were looking into long ago..the real news is behind the scenes.

P12 desperately trying to stay relevant and increase their value. Must appease schools looking elsewhere.

The way things are going you could see a full-on B12/P12 merger plus or minus 2 schools to create a bonafide coast-to-coast conference. But don’t be shocked to see cherry picking done instead.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

By the way...jim delaney's retirement is proof the B1G isn't targeting OU or Texas. Anybody care to guess why this would be proof?

Shoot

You want to guess?

Because he would have had it locked up before he retired?

He would want the credit. And with Texas being locked up by ESPN until 2035 we know that's impossible.

Delany said a few years back that the decision to expand the Big Ten would likely be up to the next commissioner.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom