Non-Key Tweets | Page 637 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That said, if Moose makes those details up, he has a fairly detailed imagination.
Bingo. Can imagine a source with that level of detailed information, which is subject to NDA, sharing with a guy who is going to post it on the internet? It's fan fiction. Even at that level, how the heck would Memphis draw 8 votes?

That said, were this an accurate assessment it would be the perfect time for ESPN to give the process a gentle nudge in our direction.

CL82

Reaction Score
And Baylor apparently wants a 13 team conference.
Well one more embarassing disclosure from Waco and they might just need a whole new conference.

Reaction Score
I see potential for UCF to supplant UConn written all over this. Yeesh.
It's definitely a concern, but I'm not all that worried yet. With UCF, you're asking the Big 12 to buy solely on potential. I think they'd rather buy a mixture of current performance and future upside.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I can flat out guarantee that information is not accurate. I was told by the KU AD office, that the Chancellor would not vote to include Memphis.
Hell, the BE only invited Memphis when it had too few teams to move forward as a conference.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
If this is true, UConn has apparently turned TCU. Or TCU was never against us? Because all we ever heard was Texas schools will vote with Texas. If we can turn them, maybe we can turn the other Texas school not beholden to the government, Baylor.

Reaction Score
If this is true, UConn has apparently turned TCU. Or TCU was never against us? Because all we ever heard was Texas schools will vote with Texas. If we can turn them, maybe we can turn the other Texas school not beholden to the government, Baylor.

Well, Chris Del Conte had good things to say about David Benedict:

Chris Del Conte, Director of Athletics, TCU
"Congratulations to the University of Connecticut on hitting a home run with its hire of David Benedict! He will be a perfect fit for the Huskies and Storrs. I have known David for quite some time and he's a winner! He has been in leadership capacities at several of the top Universities in the country and will draw upon those vast experiences. David will serve UConn and its constituents in a first-class manner. I'm very excited for him."

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Well, Chris Del Conte had good things to say about David Benedict:

Chris Del Conte, Director of Athletics, TCU
"Congratulations to the University of Connecticut on hitting a home run with its hire of David Benedict! He will be a perfect fit for the Huskies and Storrs. I have known David for quite some time and he's a winner! He has been in leadership capacities at several of the top Universities in the country and will draw upon those vast experiences. David will serve UConn and its constituents in a first-class manner. I'm very excited for him."

Yes, I know. But "I liked your AD hire" is vastly different than "we support you as a candidate for an invite to our league."

One really has zero to do with the other.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yes, I know. But "I liked your AD hire" is vastly different than "we support you as a candidate for an invite to our league."

Unless Benedict has decided to work the phone with an old contact?

Reaction Score
Post by the so-called Cincy insider, MSMoose:
  • ESPN obviously wants to protect its properties so to speak, and does not feel G5 candidates are worthy of Big 12 Pro Rata monies. Fox Sports feels differently.

If this leak is true, and that's a big if, ESPN isn't "protecting their properties" by not watering down the B12, its just protecting its bottom line by not having to pay more for decent to valuable properties it gets on the cheap already.

CL82

Reaction Score

How would he know? I thought Big Ten Man was his conduit for information.

Reaction Score

Block 2 – Iowa State\Kansas\Oklahoma
Candidates = UC-BYU-UCONN-CSU-Memphis-UCF\USF

• Texas wants an extension of the GOR until 2031, concurrent with the expiration of its agreement with ESPN for the LHN. Texas wants to ensure expansion is solidifies the conference, yet also protects it from realignment at the termination of the current Big 12 contract. Oklahoma and others agree, however they want concessions from Texas on the LHN. Texas has worked with the conference on concessions, however has hit so roadblocks with ESPN. Work remains in progress on this front
From another poster:

Memphis: 7 (Iowa St., Kansas, Oklahoma, West Virginia, TCU, Kansas St., Oklahoma St.)

So now Oklahoma wants Memphis and Texas wants to extend the GOR.

I love how the mythos of the Big 12 Expansion narrative changes from day to day. It's like a poorly edited movie with no continuity.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Unless Benedict has decided to work the phone with an old contact?

And I have no doubt that Benedict has. But no amount of "I think you're a good guy" is going to get us a yes vote if the TCU admin thinks Storrs, CT is too far, UConn doesn't have good football, etc. If they don't think we will make them money, they won't vote for us. Pure and simple. If they are indeed giving us their vote now, I suspect they traded a vote for us to someone for a vote for one of their preferred schools or they just see the potential to make money with us.

Relationships are important. Money is more important.

CL82

Reaction Score
And I have no doubt that Benedict has. But no amount of "I think you're a good guy" is going to get us a yes vote if the TCU admin thinks Storrs, CT is too far, UConn doesn't have good football, etc. If they don't think we will make them money, they won't vote for us. Pure and simple. If they are indeed giving us their vote now, I suspect they traded a vote for us to someone for a vote for one of their preferred schools or they just see the potential to make money with us.

Relationships are important. Money is more important.
Yep, but "I think you're a good guy" does get people to take your phone calls. It's much easier to tout your schools metrics to a friend than to voice mail.

Reaction Score

2 hours ago

To expedite the resolution of expansion candidates for the Big 12, Oklahoma proposed voting blocks, consisting of (4) blocks of any number of member institutions. This would ensure member interests could best be accommodated without extended debate per candidate. These voting blocks in Oklahoma’s eyes and Commissioner Bowlsby’s ensured a fair process.

The blocks were developed in open discussion when considering member institutions top preliminary expansion choices.

This process is what I referred to yesterday as the Oklahoma Compromise!

The voting blocks were as follows, with their top candidates in order;

Block 1 – Texas Tech\Texas\Baylor
Candidates = BYU-UH-UC-UCF\USF
Block 2 – Iowa State\Kansas\Oklahoma
Candidates = UC-BYU-UCONN-CSU-Memphis-UCF\USF
Block 3 – Kansas State\Oklahoma State
Candidates = Memphis-CSU-UC-UCONN
Block 4 – West Virginia\TCU
Candidates = UC-UCF\USF-Memphis-UCONN

Note, the members within blocks have changed as the process has unfolded, however I believe the above to be most accurate as of this morning.

In fact, the Big 12 Board has sent a contingent of Big 12 Commissioners, etc., to specific candidates. These visits were at times followed by visits from voting blocks of Presidents, and others from Big 12 institutions. All information has been shared with all Big 12 members. A very open process, however very thorough as well. The visits have wrapped up now, and the Big 12 is in deliberations, so to speak.

• 2 hours ago

• Before I have to leave for a meeting, I want to mention the Big 12 negotiations with its television providers.

The negotiations are very complicated, those who make light of them simply have no clue how the negotiations work.

First, renegotiation has to happen, as expansion adds more volume, which affects scheduling windows. Divisions affect scheduling and 1st and 2nd rights. A CCG has to be negotiated, etc. and so on. Point is renegotiation would occur, even if expansion didn't occur. However, expansion is occurring and that complicates renegotiations. While the media portrays these renegotiations as volatile, they are in most cases not. Conferences and television partners talks weekly, and for the most part work together very well.

ESPN obviously wants to protect its properties so to speak, and does not feel G5 candidates are worthy of Big 12 Pro Rata monies. Fox Sports feels differently. So this is the starting point for a resolution that is agreeable by all. While Pro Rata is part of the Big 12 contract, the Big 12 is not necessarily toeing the line on it, they are willing to work with the television partners on compromises. Negotiations have been going very well, I was told, and as stated to me the framework for a new deal is far enough along that final agreements with candidates will or have begun already.

Texas wants an extension of the GOR until 2031, concurrent with the expiration of its agreement with ESPN for the LHN. Texas wants to ensure expansion is solidifies the conference, yet also protects it from realignment at the termination of the current Big 12 contract. Oklahoma and others agree, however they want concessions from Texas on the LHN. Texas has worked with the conference on concessions, however has hit so roadblocks with ESPN. Work remains in progress on this front.
From another poster:

o with that in mind, as of this morning, the schools listed with each candidate is as follows:

Cincinnati: 10 (All ten schools)

UCF/USF: 8 (Texas Tech, Texas, Baylor, West Virginia, TCU, Iowa St., Kansas, Oklahoma)

Memphis: 7 (Iowa St., Kansas, Oklahoma, West Virginia, TCU, Kansas St., Oklahoma St.)

UConn: 7 (Iowa State, Kansas, Oklahoma, Kansas St., Oklahoma St., West Virginia, TCU)

BYU: 6 (Texas Tech, Texas, Baylor, Iowa St., Kansas, Oklahoma)

CSU: 5 (Iowa St., Kansas, Oklahoma, Kansas St., Oklahoma St.)

Houston: 3 (Texas Tech, Texas, Baylor)

I would love to be a fly on the wall to witness the process for coming up with the crap that some of these "insiders" post. Does someone give them a little nugget and their creative writing skills kick in for the other 90% of BS or do they just get messed up and start making stuff up and other stoners pile on or what? What makes someone post crap that is probably 95% made up? Do they think it will influence the outcome?

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Yep, but "I think you're a good guy" does get people to take your phone calls. It's much easier to tout your schools metrics to a friend than to voice mail.

Totally agree. It just doesn't seal the deal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom