Non-Key Tweets | Page 588 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Is the statement above true? Did Aresco say the programs will leave on good terms and in a staggered fashion? Hopefully, that fact is just made up.

Well considering it doesn't come up on a google search I high doubt its real when you add it being from a person who's made a grand total of 1o tweets

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure he did mention Tom Herman.

I agree with Nelson, for once. Except I'll add if we lose to Memphis we have no closers on our side. Louisville, WVU, they found a way to not get squeezed out. Ultimately this is a pass fail course.

I believe the people here are doing everything they can, and you applaud that, but at the end of the day to watch your competition beat you out time after is deflating.

It's not Susan's fault we're located in Connecticut

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
My suspicion is that nothing has been decided yet, because McMurphy would be the first to know if it had. I think there are probably 6 finalists, BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, UConn, Memphis, and UCF, for 4 spots. BYU and Cincinnati are ahead of the other 4, but not home yet. There are a lot of reasons not to believe the "Fred Smith will donate $500 million" stories, most important of which is, if Smith had so much money to pour into Memphis, why hasn't he done it? Memphis is in the heart of SEC country and will never get market share. I can't come up with a single advantage that has over UConn, other than Smith, which I don't believe anyway.I don't think ESPN wants to dig deeper in a Florida market where it already has 3 programs, so while UCF is on the list, I don't see it getting picked.

I think it is BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UConn. I am also skeptical about staggering the AAC members, since the whole purpose of this expansion is a money grab by the Big 12. I think the Big 12 will help BYU out with breaking some of the 2017 game contracts, including substituting Big 12 teams for BYU in the contract.

Reaction Score
I may be stupid, but I fear UCF more than I do Memphis.

Mark Blads may be many things, but he is usually on the money.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
My suspicion is that nothing has been decided yet, because McMurphy would be the first to know if it had. I think there are probably 6 finalists, BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, UConn, Memphis, and UCF, for 4 spots. BYU and Cincinnati are ahead of the other 4, but not home yet. There are a lot of reasons not to believe the "Fred Smith will donate $500 million" stories, most important of which is, if Smith had so much money to pour into Memphis, why hasn't he done it? Memphis is in the heart of SEC country and will never get market share. I can't come up with a single advantage that has over UConn, other than Smith, which I don't believe anyway.I don't think ESPN wants to dig deeper in a Florida market where it already has 3 programs, so while UCF is on the list, I don't see it getting picked.

I think it is BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UConn. I am also skeptical about staggering the AAC members, since the whole purpose of this expansion is a money grab by the Big 12. I think the Big 12 will help BYU out with breaking some of the 2017 game contracts, including substituting Big 12 teams for BYU in the contract.
Don't know if this is what you meant - McMurphy would know if the ACC were about to announce something. I don't think he has contacts in the B12.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

Cinci and BYU fans must be happy

These wannabe tweeters are multiplying. Making the hillbilly echo room echoier. Some of their stuff is rehashed flug material too.

Reaction Score
If I were the king of the Big 12, I would immediately kick out Baylor, tell BYU to F itself and put TCU on double-secret probation. Damn church schools.

Then with the five spots available, i'd take UConn, Cincy, Houston and say 12 is fine.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Don't know if this is what you meant - McMurphy would know if the ACC were about to announce something. I don't think he has contacts in the B12.

I suspect the Big 12 contract with ESPN requires ESPN to be notified once a decision has been made, and it would be good form for the Big 12 to do so regardless. I suspect all of McMurphy's "confirmations" come from the business side of the worldwide leader telling him that a conference is expanding. I also assume that ESPN and Fox have both been heavily involved in vetting the additions.

Reaction Score
Yes, but if it's correct wouldn't the AAC just want the info out so they can focus knowing they have a member leaving? Or maybe just have the Presser later?

I find it hard to believe they'll announce this before Wednesday.

Reaction Score

This is Aresco's quote “In these situations, communication is critical,” said Aresco, who was a long-time television executive before getting into college administration. “I’ve been talking to the (athletic directors) and the president of the schools that might leave, and it looks like some of them will. We’re talking to each other and trying to figure out the future. We expect everyone who leaves will leave on good terms.”

The rest was added by the twitter guy.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Some Twitter vomit from MH today. Doing his best Dude impression and trying to capture every alternative.

Reaction Score
BYU & UTAH ‏@BYUandUTAH · Jul 29
What I'm hearing: if #big12 adds two-#byu and 1 from #AAC. If big12 adds 4- #byu, 2 from #AAC and 1 from #MWC.

BYU & UTAH ‏@BYUandUTAH · 8m8 minutes ago
Unfortunately my contact in Holmoes office works a Mon-Fri job. I've been in the dark this weekend. Will know more in the morning. #byu

BYU & UTAH ‏@BYUandUTAH · 6m6 minutes ago
Everything I had heard on Friday still pointed to an announcement of some kind being made on Monday.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Normally I wouldn't believe a random unsourced twitter account - but that one is 'confirmed'.

Someone explain how Big 12 Confirmed and Big 12 Steve can have different info?

Big 12 Confirmed is confirmed. He's credible. We have confirmation.

Steve on the other had is unconfirmed. I don't know for sure, but he may also be unbaptized as well.

Who are you going to trust a confirmed source, or some godless communist?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just have this feeling that all this talk about being respectful of the AAC conference means that the B12 is only going to take 2 teams from AAC. I don't think they want to totally destroy the conference because they aren't threatened by the AAC. Plus I sure Aresco is talking to the B12 and asking that they only take 2 teams. I think we are going to be stuck in the AAC for that reason. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Reaction Score
I just have this feeling that all this talk about being respectful of the AAC conference means that the B12 is only going to take 2 teams from AAC. I don't think they want to totally destroy the conference because they aren't threatened by the AAC. Plus I sure Aresco is talking to the B12 and asking that they only take 2 teams. I think we are going to be stuck in the AAC for that reason. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.
I don't think the two conditions have any impact on one another. The B12 could take two overall, they could take four overall and 2 from the AAC, but I don't think their saying they'll be respectful of the AAC means anything either way.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The more I think about Memphis, the more pissed I get.

First, let's recall that they were vetted by the Big East/ESPN and determined to bring no-value on account of being surrounded by SEC fans outside of the small city.

Second, they have been terrible at football for anyone's recollectable memory, which seems to be forgotten since they put together two good seasons under a coach and QB that have both left the program.

And third, arguably their top asset, basketball, has been a dumpster fire.

Somehow, none of this seems to matter for them, but if the above applied to UConn we would be raked over the coals.

Reaction Score
The more I think about Memphis, the more pissed I get.

First, let's recall that they were vetted by the Big East/ESPN and determined to bring no-value on account of being surrounded by SEC fans outside of the small city.

Second, they have been terrible at football for anyone's recollectable memory, which seems to be forgotten since they put together two good seasons under a coach and QB that have both left the program.

And third, arguably their top asset, basketball, has been a dumpster fire.

Somehow, none of this seems to matter for them, but if the above applied to UConn we would be raked over the coals.

It's absolutely astonishing. Just goes to show people have short memories, even more so lately it seems.

Reaction Score
Memphis as a B12 candidate really shouldn't be that surprising to anyone. If you have enough $$money$$ you can buy your way into anything. That's just the way it is. Nobody ever said life was suppose to be fair.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom