Non-Key Tweets | Page 326 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Interesting thing about this guy vs. the Dude, is that this series of tweets must be making the couch burning crowd suicidal. This would be very bad news for WVU.

I have trouble understanding why the Big 12's GOR won't keep teams in the conference for at least a few more years. There seems to be an unknown and possibly huge risk for any school that breaches that contract right now. That and the rewards for walkin out now? Doesn't make sense.

Reaction Score
I have trouble understanding why the Big 12's GOR won't keep teams in the conference for at least a few more years. There seems to be an unknown and possibly huge risk for any school that breaches that contract right now. That and the rewards for walkin out now? Doesn't make sense.

There's a huge risk to being the last one out, too, as we've learned.

Reaction Score
Wasn't the Big East more about known exit fees? Not sure I understand the comparison between that and the schools that left under those conditions and this BXII situation.

Reaction Score
Wasn't the Big East more about known exit fees? Not sure I understand the comparison between that and the schools that left under those conditions and this BXII situation.

I'm not sure what your point is. I'm saying that teams are willing to risk being hit by a GOR because that's better than being stuck in the conference after it's fallen apart.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what your point is. I'm saying that teams are willing to risk being hit by a GOR because that's better than being stuck in the conference after it's fallen apart.

The prevailing thought is that there's some sort of out if 5 of the 8 original remaining members leave. If any 5 of those teams find better, more stable homes, they will leave. Probably not true, but it's those type of thoughts that keeps the conversations, theories, and scenarios going.

Reaction Score
The prevailing thought is that there's some sort of out if 5 of the 8 original remaining members leave. If any 5 of those teams find better, more stable homes, they will leave. Probably not true, but it's those type of thoughts that keeps the conversations, theories, and scenarios going.

The issue at that point isn't with a GOR. We're not in the American because of a GOR. The issue is that, for a lot of those teams, there isn't a nice landing spot somewhere.

Reaction Score
When talking about the BigXII collapsing, everybody talks about Texas, Oklahoma, and to a lesser extent Kansas as all having potential homes. However, on the football side of things Baylor, Oklahoma State, and TCU all have been very strong and would make good additions to other P5 conferences. Even WVU and K-State have value in their stable football and basketball. Nobody thinks of those programs as anyone's first choice, but that doesn't make them BAD choices.

Reaction Score
When talking about the BigXII collapsing, everybody talks about Texas, Oklahoma, and to a lesser extent Kansas as all having potential homes. However, on the football side of things Baylor, Oklahoma State, and TCU all have been very strong and would make good additions to other P5 conferences. Even WVU and K-State have value in their stable football and basketball. Nobody thinks of those programs as anyone's first choice, but that doesn't make them BAD choices.

I am not sure about K State and WVU and I think just one of TCU/Baylor will be taken (favor Baylor as they have decent basketball, too); but, I believe with OK State's decent following in football (and basketball) along with their deep pocketed benefactor will find a home (PAC or SEC) should the XII fail.

Reaction Score

It more than likely will keep the Big 12 together. There is some talk on other message boards that the Big 12 can be dissolved by a 75% vote. IF enough schools wanted to leave, the conference would dissolve and the GOR would be rendered meaningless.

At least that is how the theory goes. Other than that, the GOR will keep the Big 12 and all other such conferences together until GOR expiration or until close enough to expiration that the damages are manageable.

dayooper

Reaction Score
It more than likely will keep the Big 12 together. There is some talk on other message boards that the Big 12 can be dissolved by a 75% vote. IF enough schools wanted to leave, the conference would dissolve and the GOR would be rendered meaningless.

At least that is how the theory goes. Other than that, the GOR will keep the Big 12 and all other such conferences together until GOR expiration or until close enough to expiration that the damages are manageable.

It very well may. Then again, things are changing so quickly in the sports world that teams may feel they have to move to keep relevant and bring in enough revenue. The Big12 has a huge problem in that their exposure is so regional. Most play a very regional schedule against lower level opponents. Baylor's non-conference schedule is a joke.

If Texas and Oklahoma can get back to the national prominence they had a decade ago, it may give them the exposure they need to take their universities where they want them to go. The big problem is that's a very difficult thing to keep going. It's much easier playing a schedule that sends you to the places where you want exposure. Isn't that what ND was/is doing with your Big East and ACC scheduling agreements? While Texas and Oklahoma are scheduling nationally in their non conference schedule, it's only one or two games a year. Games against teams like Michigan and OSU (whom they are playing on future schedules) will bring a national audience, what about the other nine or ten weeks?

I have thought for a while that the Big12's days are numbered. I have no clue where the teams will go, but I'm not sure they will, in their current level, last until the GoR expires.

Reaction Score
I am not sure about K State and WVU and I think just one of TCU/Baylor will be taken (favor Baylor as they have decent basketball, too); but, I believe with OK State's decent following in football (and basketball) along with their deep pocketed benefactor will find a home (PAC or SEC) should the XII fail.
I think OSU also has great wrestling pedigree...not sure..

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'm waiting for Dude to tweet that Memphis losing two in a row severely hurt their B12 invite chances, and a loss v. Temple will eliminate them from consideration.

I know you're joking but I almost feel that this type of consideration happens in conferences like the B12 and ACC. In the B12's example, it worked for TCU but not so much for WVU. Louisville is still in wait and see mode...they've been very successful early on but seems like they're trending a bit down with some of these scandals going on down there.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

With the GORs, the next conference unwinding will have a much longer lead time. We are only 9 years from the end of the Big 12 Grant of Rights. If Texas, Oklahoma and a few others announced in a year or two that they would not be renewing, the effect of those announcements would be similar to terminating the GOR in all but the media contract, which would run out. The schools stuck behind would be desperate, and would see an immediate impact in their athletic program.

Furthermore, if there was critical mass to vote dissolve the conference, then that would create an additional problem for the remaining schools. I could see the ACC or SEC taking an extra school they don't want just to put a bullet in the Big 12.

Reaction Score
I'm of the opinion that taking a "lesser" BigXII school for the sake of consolidating the Power 5 down to the Power 4 would make doing so more worthwhile than simply taking the school itself, if that makes sense. With a P4, your playoffs all but become a story of conference champions, which means the conference championship games become more important. Expanding the playoffs in a way that benefits the networks and conferences.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm of the opinion that taking a "lesser" BigXII school for the sake of consolidating the Power 5 down to the Power 4 would make doing so more worthwhile than simply taking the school itself, if that makes sense. With a P4, your playoffs all but become a story of conference champions, which means the conference championship games become more important. Expanding the playoffs in a way that benefits the networks and conferences.
I think this is good observation. When listing the pros/cons of a particular entity, shrinking the market by destroying a competitor is a "plus."

Reaction Score
The argument is always "Why would Conference X want School B?" Well, because the end result is better for the overall conference because there's now only FOUR Power Conferences. If School B were simply a stand alone entity, they may not be as desirable...but to take them as an ends to a means, they become infinitely more valuable.

dayooper

Reaction Score

I don't nessacarilly think that the conference powers want the four conference champions to be the four participants. What happens if a 7-4 team beats one of the better teams? Not sure that the power five wants that. The discussion with each release of the playoff poll is such a boon for the conferences. I think they will stay at four for awhile and keep the status quo.

Reaction Score
The reason for it is that it makes their championship games the round of 8 and makes them more important. Increased importance = more viewers for the networks and more $$ for the conferences. Plus, you're splitting the pie four ways instead of 5.

dayooper

Reaction Score
The reason for it is that it makes their championship games the round of 8 and makes them more important. Increased importance = more viewers for the networks and more $$ for the conferences. Plus, you're splitting the pie four ways instead of 5.

I think they will go to four conferences. The Big12 is a dead conference walking. The two big issues are locking in the conference champs without having an out for a bad team making the playoff, and the discussion from the polls the committee is releasing.

1. That would be the biggest fear is having a no name team with a 7-5 record make the field of four. This isn't the field of 68 like in basketball. They get four shots to make the money. Last year had four of the biggest names in college football history playing for the title. The ratings were through the roof because of the teams and the high profile players on those teams. A 7-5 Minnesota (no offense Gopher fans) just won't bring in the viewership that OSU, UNL, Michigan, PSU or even MSU would bring in. It also creates more hype for the regular season games. This week OSU plays MSU. Big Impact game. People,are talking about it. They may get ticked off that their team isn't in the discussion, but there's so much hype for these games.

Reaction Score
The biggest benefit for going to a P4 and utilizing conference champions for the playoffs is that it streamlines the whole process so that even the common fan can understand it. Nobody has to attract the eyes of die hard college football fans, but if you can simplify the whole process so that fans that may not be as interested can understand it better, you can attract more viewers...and btw, you just did so in a manner that also gives long time fans what they've always wanted: A system where if you win you're in, if you lose you're out. You know how your team has to make the playoffs because all they'd have to do is win their conference (assuming of course, they're in a power conference.)

As for a "bad team" making it, I don't think that would be a problem. I think that would give the CFP it's "Cinderella Story" and people enjoy those. Nobody saw Ohio State winning it all last year, but nobody is complaining that they did...

dayooper

Reaction Score
18m18 minutes ago
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire
Source: B1G talking with Notre Dame HCKY & UCONN HCKY as possible 8th school when ASU HCKY joins B1G HCKY Conference. This is not a drill.

Hmmmmm . . . Interesting. Would love to have UConn in the Big10 for anything. ND? Great team, but would rather have you guys.

Reaction Score
18m18 minutes ago
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire
Source: B1G talking with Notre Dame HCKY & UCONN HCKY as possible 8th school when ASU HCKY joins B1G HCKY Conference. This is not a drill.

Hmmmmm . . . Interesting. Would love to have UConn in the Big10 for anything. ND? Great team, but would rather have you guys.
The only way I see UCONN leaving HE for the B1G is if it comes with a invite as a full conference member.
Especially with this just coming out:
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-uconn-sports-subsidies-1117-20151116-story.html

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 29m29 minutes ago
Source: B1G talking with Notre Dame HCKY & UCONN HCKY as possible 8th school when ASU HCKY joins B1G HCKY Conference.

This is not a drill.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 28m28 minutes ago
It's very difficult to imagine...but according to source Delany is again going down Notre Dame rabbit hole to try to bring ND HCKY to B1G

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 26m26 minutes ago
Source: ND & UCONN are being discussed right now..discussions between B1G and the 2 universities are happening right now.
This is not a dril

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 25m25 minutes ago
Source: ND would be able to keep NBC Sports Network HCKY package for good portion of games in 2017. But some ND HCKY content would be on BTN

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 24m24 minutes ago
Source: Same flexibility would be given to UCONN...B1G willing to work with UCONN on flexible TV package in concert with BTN

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 23m23 minutes ago
Source: Interest level on ND & UCONN side of ledger very difficult to obtain. However, B1G in deep weeds of negotiations with both...so..

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 22m22 minutes ago
...there must be some interest from both universities.
More on this come November 27th -BTM Dinner.

This is real. Talks are happening now.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 20m20 minutes ago
Source: Zero steam on 8th HCKY school coming from a current B1G school.
Let me repeat...zero steam.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 14m14 minutes ago
@MrSmitty0712 This source is only talking Hockey at this point. Where it leads?....maybe nowhere else...maybe more

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 13m13 minutes ago
@NickG2210 UCONN may not be interested...or interested enough. But B1G is interested in UCONN HCKY. UCONN has not said no..at least not yet

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 41s41 seconds ago
Let me be clear..B1G expressing openly to both UCONN & Notre Dame their interest as a conference to have either (not both) to join ASU -HCKY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom