Non-Key Tweets | Page 975 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
AD tweets are key tweets. If his answer was just "we're in the ACC" then it wouldn't be noteworthy, but "we're in the ACC but are keeping our heads on a swivel" is noteworthy.
Any AD that is not saying "our heads are on a swivel" should be fired for incompetence.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Any AD that is not saying "our heads are on a swivel" should be fired for incompetence.
I don't know. I think ADs saying that they are looking at options to leave a conference is fairly unique. It's one thing to "monitor the landscape" and another thing to say that you are looking around.

Reaction Score
I don't know. I think ADs saying that they are looking at options to leave a conference is fairly unique. It's one thing to "monitor the landscape" and another thing to say that you are looking around.
Agreed. But because Rule #1 applies, none of this is at yet worthy of our attention.

That said, what I love about this board is many of the posters turning up their noses at the idea of joining the remnants of the ACC if and when a breakup happens. Yeah, it'll be pretty much a G6 conference. So what? It'll have almost all of UConn's historical rivals. And that will be so much better than the conferences currently being batted around as landing spots for FB. And it will likely be the strongest conference of the G6.

Reaction Score
That's not what he said. "Head on a swivel" means they are ready to act quickly in case the situation changes.

CL82

Reaction Score
Agreed. But because Rule #1 applies, none of this is at yet worthy of our attention.

That said, what I love about this board is many of the posters turning up their noses at the idea of joining the remnants of the ACC if and when a breakup happens. Yeah, it'll be pretty much a G6 conference. So what? It'll have almost all of UConn's historical rivals. And that will be so much better than the conferences currently being batted around as landing spots for FB. And it will likely be the strongest conference of the G6.
Lol, the sad truth of the CR board is it has never been worth the time any of us have spent on it. But hope springs eternal, right?

Yeah, it's kind of hard for me to get really excited about being the tallest (little person), but I absolutely agree that joining the dregs of the ACC is probably our best realistic outcome. Playing Syracuse, BCU, Duke, Pittsburgh, etc. on a consistent basis wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Reaction Score

I’d prefer the Big East add them and get back in the football business.

Reaction Score
Not sure where to post this, but Nebraska is making a push to rejoin the AAU. Its medical center research will now count as part of Nebraska's research numbers. These dollars were never counted in the past as it was its own separate entity.

CL82

Reaction Score
Not sure where to post this, but Nebraska is making a push to rejoin the AAU. Its medical center research will now count as part of Nebraska's research numbers. These dollars were never counted in the past as it was its own separate entity.

The University of Nebraska system announced that the National Science Foundation has agreed to let UNL and the University of Nebraska Medical Center combine their annual federal research funding when responding to the foundation’s annual survey of national colleges and universities.

Can we get that deal too and include medical research at UConn health. I believe that inclusion would allow us to hit the AAU candidate targets.

Reaction Score
Playing Syracuse, BCU, Duke, Pittsburgh, etc. on a consistent basis wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
Exactly my point, Throw in the west coast teams and whomever. SMU was it? I have lost track quite frankly.

Reaction Score
Va Tech was lucky to get to the ACC thanks to the lobbying of the Virginia State Legislature. Otherwise they would have been in the AAC with UConn.

They'd've gotten the Louisville spot or gone with Pitt, if the BC block of UConn still worked. (UConn was in a stronger place in Round 2 only 9 months removed from the Fiesta Bowl, so it may not have, given the valuation for Syracuse - UConn was preferred, Syracuse - Pitt good enough)

Round 1 (2004): Miami, BC, Syracuse (Virginia Tech IRL)
Round 2 (2011): Pitt, UConn
Round 3 (Maryland backfill): Virginia Tech (football school selection)

Reaction Score
Va Tech was lucky to get to the ACC thanks to the lobbying of the Virginia State Legislature. Otherwise they would have been in the AAC with UConn.
And, very probably, would now be in the Big 12.

Reaction Score
And, maybe the fix was always in for Boston College...

For us conspiracy theorists...is it a coincidence that Swofford's son, Chad, went to BC as an Assistant AD in 2004 ?

Was it a coincidence that Swofford insisted to ESPN that Raycom be part of the ACC deal...while Chad was a Raycom exec ?

Reaction Score
Oh, you think the non FB schools in the BE would entertain that? If so, I can get you a very attractive bridge at half price.
The landscape is changing. Basketball-only leagues will find it very difficult to remain competitive with the P-whatevers moving forward. The BE movers and shakers had better realize they have to at least entertain holding their nose and living with a football wing at this time. I bet they are doing due diligence about the possibility now.

Reaction Score
The landscape is changing. Basketball-only leagues will find it very difficult to remain competitive with the P-whatevers moving forward. The BE movers and shakers had better realize they have to at least entertain holding their nose and living with a football wing at this time. I bet they are doing due diligence about the possibility now.
Agreed. But the BB only schools don't get much out of adding FB. The FB revenue goes to the FB schools. I do not see the incentive.

Reaction Score
True, but it won't work that way since FB drives the bus.
It's a big double decker bus with basketball on top

UConn Bus.JPG

Reaction Score
Agreed. But the BB only schools don't get much out of adding FB. The FB revenue goes to the FB schools. I do not see the incentive.
The BE would no longer be able to compete for natties any more. A not-football BE will get outspent by conferences (P-whatevers) with surplus football money that they could invest in not-football.

Reaction Score
The BE would no longer be able to compete for natties any more. A not-football BE will get outspent by conferences (P-whatevers) with surplus football money that they could invest in not-football.
People been saying this since 2013. The league won 3 titles since then. If and when schools are given the ability to directly pay players with media money, then it might become an issue, but right now it's not.

Not to mention that NIL all it takes is one person with a lot of money to compete at a high level, like we've seen with St Johns.

Reaction Score
People been saying this since 2013. The league won 3 titles since then. If and when schools are given the ability to directly pay players with media money, then it might become an issue, but right now it's not.

Not to mention that NIL all it takes is one person with a lot of money to compete at a high level, like we've seen with St Johns.
Things are different now than 2013.

Reaction Score
Things are different now than 2013.
Don't disagree, but when a conference has survived multiple "fatal" wounds throughout it's history and has continued to thrive, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to do it again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom