Non-Key Tweets | Page 966 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Yes, and it was spectacular! UConn made the Fiesta Bowl coming out of the Big East! Past winners included UConn, Miami, West Virginia, Cincy, Louisville, Virginia Tech, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse. Heck even BCU had some success.
Yes, it was a way better fit for Uconn than anything we’ve had since.

And if the basketball schools didn’t unnecessarily force a split & also force Uconn & others to choose between football and basketball, it’s hard to say if the conference could’ve remained successful enough to attract & retain some good football programs. As it is, I don’t think these small BE basketball schools are ever going to pull in enough TV revenue.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Also nobody who played football wanted to stay in the Big East.
I don't think that's true. In fact I think all of the big east schools that ended up on the island of misfit toys known as the American, would've preferred for the Big East to stay intact. Certainly Connecticut would've.

Reaction Score
I don't think that's true. In fact I think all of the big east schools that ended up on the island of misfit toys known as the American, would've preferred for the Big East to stay intact. Certainly Connecticut would've.

You’re wrong. Everyone was jockeying for an ACC, B1G, Big 12 invite. As is what actually happened.

Reaction Score
I thought the aac was a good conference for our football team
The AAC wasn’t a bad conference for UConn.
UConn was just an awful team in AAC.
11 wins in 7 seasons
3 in 2013,
4 on 2015 we average 28,000 per game with a .500 season not too shabby .
We only managed 4 total wins in the other 5 years combined 0-16 out last two years .
It’s a national conference that touches the best recruiting areas if you have the right team of recruiters its the best path to P status .
Ours previous effort was Absolutely disgusting .
Frankly if Army joins
it’s currently the most regional football conference, for you we must play regional guys .
Temple
Army
Navy
ECU
Charlotte
USF
FAU
UAB
Memphis
Tulane

UNT ( Dallas))
UTSA
Tulsa
With a preferred scheduling and an 8 conference games we would be insane to turn down that conference as a football only
for the $4,000,000 Navy gets
+3 p schools and UMass.
We really need to go back and dominate to exorcise the evil of 2013-19.

CL82

Reaction Score
You’re wrong. Everyone was jockeying for an ACC, B1G, Big 12 invite. As is what actually happened.
But no one wanted to go to/ stay in the American. That's kind of the point.

Reaction Score
True that. Old Big East football was actually good and fun to watch, just it didn’t jive with the conference’s overall perception of itself as an all sports competitor.
And the landscape has changed. The Big East would be smart to reconsider a football wing that also meshes well with the basketball-dominant brands. Be a G5 in hoops and big boy in hoops. I like the "Ivy League on steroids" model.

Reaction Score
And the landscape has changed. The Big East would be smart to reconsider a football wing that also meshes well with the basketball-dominant brands. Be a G5 in hoops and big boy in hoops. I like the "Ivy League on steroids" model.
I've said the same. Hasn't been received well on this board. Keep it small, 8 members including UConn and wait for upcoming upheaval.

I would try for Army, Navy, AirForce in FB, USF, and Memphis all sports, Wash State, Oregon State if they can't get into the ACC/Big12 and 1 more take your pick.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
I heard that WSU/ OSU are actively lobbying the ACC and Big 12 for entry and it appears they likely will be off the board sooner rather than later.
And what worries me about those two teams is that if their injunction/lawsuit against the departing PAC12 schools holds, they'll have a crap load of money to approach the ACC or BIG12 and say "we don't need a payout for awhile, we're good, just give us spot".

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
I've said the same. Hasn't been received well on this board. Keep it small, 8 members including UConn and wait for upcoming upheaval.

I would try for Army, Navy, AirForce in FB, USF, and Memphis all sports, Wash State, Oregon State if they can't get into the ACC/Big12 and 1 more take your pick.
It's not terrible, and since Army is looking to get into the AAC with Navy, having all three service academies in one conference would be unique. But football would be weak and may be bolstered by having Fresno State and maybe Utah State (sorry if I bastardized your idea @noeynox).

The economics are problematic as what is the incentive for Air Force to pay the MWC exit fee? More angst from CR, there are some good ideas that benefit UConn, too bad none of them can happen (yet, ever??).

Reaction Score
The American just happened in a desperate attempt to salvage Big East football
However its biggest problem is it was a vastly under compensated conference , with the disparity between P5 and AAC doomed it to be a transient league at best .
We had lost , BCU , Miami , Va Tech before we ever played a league game , back filled as best we could even in the Big East days as a then BCS . Then Cuse , Pitt , WVA left and the fight to salvage a sport was on .
The first AAC year 2013 - Louisville , Rutgers we’re still in the league
TCU was suppose to join but A&M left the B12 and they were gone never playing a game , Boise and SDSU were also in and out .
The League was in order of finish UCF
Louisville , Cincinnati Houston , SMU, Rutgers , UConn, USF. Memphis and Temple . Perhaps a prediction of the future . The Top 6 are all in P5 conferences
Now if we could have stayed right there with the C7 still in .that’s not a bad all sport conference . Still one of the best BB leagues in the country . Perhaps even better than the current Big East.
Alas bigger money drives little money out of circulation . So soon Rutgers , and *Louisville were gone replaced by Tulane , ECU and Tulsa , Navy was added in 2015 . The Tulane add was allegedly the cause of the C7 departure.. That was their story ,but reality is they were looking to get out after Syracuse left . Cuse as much as we hate them was a pivotal Big East program .Dave’s dream or what was left of after BC left , died with their departure

* took the spot the wisdom of the time said was ours .

Reaction Score
It's not terrible, and since Army is looking to get into the AAC with Navy, having all three service academies in one conference would be unique. But football would be weak and may be bolstered by having Fresno State and maybe Utah State (sorry if I bastardized your idea @noeynox).

The economics are problematic as what is the incentive for Air Force to pay the MWC exit fee? More angst from CR, there are some good ideas that benefit UConn, too bad none of them can happen (yet, ever??).
You would kind of have to work backwards with something like this. The independents would have to approach a bidder a looking for content (Apple?), and see if there is a viable offer to entice others to pay their exit fee. There probably isn't, but you don't really know if you don't kick the tires.

Reaction Score
The AAC wasn’t a bad conference for UConn.
UConn was just an awful team in AAC.
11 wins in 7 seasons
3 in 2013,
4 on 2015 we average 28,000 per game with a .500 season not too shabby .
We only managed 4 total wins in the other 5 years combined 0-16 out last two years .
It’s a national conference that touches the best recruiting areas if you have the right team of recruiters its the best path to P status .
Ours previous effort was Absolutely disgusting .
Frankly if Army joins
it’s currently the most regional football conference, for you we must play regional guys .
Temple
Army
Navy
ECU
Charlotte
USF
FAU
UAB
Memphis
Tulane

UNT ( Dallas))
UTSA
Tulsa
With a preferred scheduling and an 8 conference games we would be insane to turn down that conference as a football only
for the $4,000,000 Navy gets
+3 p schools and UMass.
We really need to go back and dominate to exorcise the evil of 2013-19.

The latest is that Army is not joining.

Reaction Score

Well duh. The American is essentially the successor to Big East football. Everyone that was in Big East football wanted out because they knew they would end up in something like the American.

CL82

Reaction Score
Well duh. The American is essentially the successor to Big East football. Everyone that was in Big East football wanted out because they knew they would end up in something like the American.
Lol, your your moving the goalposts my friend. Comparing the American to Big East football is a fallacy. The Big East was a solid football conference. The American was a bus stop depot where people were waiting for their way out.

Reaction Score
WSU/OSU to ACC would be idiotic. So once ACC loses their flagship teams. They'll have to take a discount deal from ESPN/FOX with increase travel. I know the ACC took Stanford and Cal but those teams have a chance to get called up to the BIG (atleast Stanford when ND moves to the BIG).

Reaction Score
Lol, your your moving the goalposts my friend. Comparing the American to Big East football is a fallacy. The Big East was a solid football conference. The American was a bus stop depot where people were waiting for their way out.

No.

You don’t even know where the goalposts are.

Everyone that could leave the Big East did. Miami, BC, Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers, WVU… and UConn, Cincy and USF would have as well given the opportunity.

It was a good conference that nobody was trying to stay in.

I have no earthly idea why you perceive this any differently.

CL82

Reaction Score
You don’t even know where the goalposts are.
You're right because you're moving them around like they are on wheels!

plenty of people wanted to join the piggies, and actually did. Eventually it was targeted for a series of raids which depleted the conference. But that doesn't mean that it wasn't a good, competitive, and enjoyable football conference. That was what @KryHavok was referencing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You're right because you're moving them around like they are on wheels!

plenty of people wanted to join the piggies, and actually did. Eventually it was targeted for a series of raids which depleted the conference. But that doesn't mean that it wasn't a good, competitive, and enjoyable football conference. That was what @KryHavok was referencing.

Sure it was. And nobody wanted to stay in it. I haven't moved them once. Go back to original comment and take some Ginko Biloba or something.

Reaction Score
Sure it was. And nobody wanted to stay in it. I haven't moved them once. Go back to original comment and take some Ginko Biloba or something.
It had more to do with the BB schools blocking Penn State than anything else. From that moment on the football schools didn't cotton to the BB-only schools having that much power in the conference. Then the conferences that were making more money started to poach the conference that wasn't making as much.

At its height BE football was excellent with nationally known programs. In a sense too, FB parity in the conference may have played a role as there wasn't a single standout team.

CL82

Reaction Score
Lol @KryHavok talked about how the Big East was a good football conference. It was. Your comment was that nobody ever wanted to join it and everyone always wanted to leave it. That's patently and demonstrably untrue. I suspect that you recognize that now.

This conversation kind of seems like it's not productive at this point. Feel free to have the last word.

Reaction Score
It had more to do with the BB schools blocking Penn State than anything else. From that moment on the football schools didn't cotton to the BB-only schools having that much power in the conference. Then the conferences that were making more money started to poach the conference that wasn't making as much.

At its height BE football was excellent with nationally known programs. In a sense too, FB parity in the conference may have played a role as there wasn't a single standout team.

That’s too far back.

Even still, what’s to stop the B1G and ACC from poaching the very same schools and Penn State. The Big East was always a sitting duck.

The old Big East was considered very too heavy. Almost like it just gave Miami a conference to play in with a bunch of nobodies.

The New Big East was considered sometimes unfairly to be not good enough to be BCS.

And behind the scenes the entire membership was actively working on leaving to a more stable conference.

Reaction Score
Lol @KryHavok talked about how the Big East was a good football conference. It was. Your comment was that nobody ever wanted to join it and everyone always wanted to leave it. That's patently and demonstrably untrue. I suspect that you recognize that now.

This conversation kind of seems like it's not productive at this point. Feel free to have the last word.

If it’s not true then how come everyone left? After it essentially disintegrated even Boise, TCU and SD State bailed.

You can’t and never will win this argument.

Reaction Score
Fishing Fail GIF by Conesulfoz

Lol, your fishing reeks of desperation.

“Look. I learned how to use GIFs!”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member