Non-Key Tweets | Page 954 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't think so. PC and Hall were having good success recruiting the northeast but maybe you are right.

Here's his quote for those who want to make their own judgment. To me it's tongue-in-cheek, especially when you hear how complementary he is of Hurley in the program.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score

Here's his quote for those who want to make their own judgment. To me it's tongue-in-cheek, especially when you hear how complementary he is of Hurley in the program.

Having just seen this for the first time, I didn't get that same feeling. You can respect Hurley and the school and still not want them in the conference. I didn't see a smile, smirk, giggle or anything else that would make me think he wasn't being completely honest. We have done some damage with the local recruiting, so him voting against us would make perfect sense.

Reaction Score
Having just seen this for the first time, I didn't get that same feeling. You can respect Hurley and the school and still not want them in the conference. I didn't see a smile, smirk, giggle or anything else that would make me think he wasn't being completely honest. We have done some damage with the local recruiting, so him voting against us would make perfect sense.
Coaches dont get a vote but there was an article that didn't sound like he was kidding at all.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm talking when UConn came back to the BE. Cooley and Willard were pissed about it. Makes sense from their end.
And look, they both got big raises after UConn came to town. Boats being lifted.

Reaction Score
If male athletes are being forced to do it, I don't see how there is a credible argument (if you don't care about credulity there is always an argument) that it's discriminatory to make women do it.
It comes down to proportionality. If 100 male athletes fly charter and 100 fly commercial, but only 15 female athletes fly charter and 185 fly commercial, you could have a problem.

CL82

Reaction Score

Coaches dont get a vote but there was an article that didn't sound like he was kidding at all.

Yeah he absolutely delivers it in a deadpan manner, but given the fact that he was talking about have nobody respected his vote or whatever it's clear that he was joking, at least to me.

Reaction Score
Yeah he absolutely delivers it in a deadpan manner, but given the fact that he was talking about have nobody respected his vote or whatever it's clear that he was joking, at least to me.
Like i said, could be. I never saw that clip. I remember reading an article where both he and Cooley were asking why throw them a lifeline when their drowning. Coaches should never have a say since most will drop you in a NY minute for better pay anyway.

Reaction Score
It comes down to proportionality. If 100 male athletes fly charter and 100 fly commercial, but only 15 female athletes fly charter and 185 fly commercial, you could have a problem.
But that's just saying you could have a Title IX problem if you violate Title IX. Of course you could. But you're assuming that the schools treat male and female athletes differently just because there is more long distance travel. There are entire departments that make sure they don't treat them differently, and the money that the P-4 is making is more than sufficient to allow for more charters for everyone.

Reaction Score
who should be in a PAC football conference along with UConn?
Uconn umass … and im sure two other east coast schools would love to be in a conference for football only with these schools… flying across country for football is different then with other sports..

CL82

Reaction Score
Like i said, could be. I never saw that clip. I remember reading an article where both he and Cooley were asking why throw them a lifeline when their drowning. Coaches should never have a say since most will drop you in a NY minute for better pay anyway.
Yeah, I don't think Willard ever said that, Cooley might've because he's an asshat.

Here's a contemporaneous article on Willard's comments that appeared on SNY.

While UConn head coach Dan Hurley gets his team ready for Year 3, he received a playful reaction from Seton Hall head coach Kevin Willard.

"Well, it sucks for us, to be honest with you," Willard said Wednesday at Big East media day. "I voted against it, so I’m still not happy about it. No one in this league listens to me, so I'm not getting my way. In general, for the league, it's great. I'm a big fan of what Dan does."

Of course, Big East university presidents are the only ones involved in voting for a team's conference entry. Willard, obviously, was kidding

Reaction Score
But that's just saying you could have a Title IX problem if you violate Title IX. Of course you could. But you're assuming that the schools treat male and female athletes differently just because there is more long distance travel. There are entire departments that make sure they don't treat them differently, and the money that the P-4 is making is more than sufficient to allow for more charters for everyone.
Title IX is not straight forward. What you don't want to do is have a Title IX audit (ask Trinity about that) as that brings in interpretations that you might not expect.

I think that many schools currently mildly violate Title IX, but they haven't been sued yet. My guess is the new travel requirements due to conference realignment might create the lawsuits.

CL82

Reaction Score
Title IX is not straight forward. What you don't want to do is have a Title IX audit (ask Trinity about that)
Ready To Fight The Matrix GIF by Max

"He's right. You definitely do not want a Title IX audit!"

Reaction Score
historically there's been 3 ways to go after schools on title ix, and this is based on whatever stuff i heard on some NBC thing back in the late 90s back when I was in HS. One is on participation numbers, another is on expenditures, the other on some kind of implied interest of students. The last one being a bizarre non-starter because of chicken and egg... and frankly this was like 25 years ago when I was in HS.

I think when most of the fur was flying on these lawsuits it was usually the first in combo with the second limited to scholarships. Nobody really wanted to knife football too hard by saying equal monies had to be spent but they do walk that line on other elements. I think the real reason is they generally don't want the issue going to a jury box because people look dismally on student athletes whining unless they're getting abused outright. You'd have to have things so out of whack beyond what is even normal. For instance maybe lunchables versus a 5-star menu.

----

I will say that title IX does have a small saving grace for a lot of schools as opportunities (read scholarships) can be restricted relatng to the split of male/female on campus. So if you are a tech school you aren't obligated to give womens schollies on a 1:1 basis. Presumably a teachers college with a high female count would be in the same boat but different.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If male athletes are being forced to do it, I don't see how there is a credible argument (if you don't care about credulity there is always an argument) that it's discriminatory to make women do it.

Read any of about 200+ sites, many of them law firms, discussing Title IX. Forcing female athletes to miss 50% or more of their classes during season while football, which plays once a week on weekends misses less than half that is a clear title IX violation. Any attempt to cut other overhead expenses for female athletes would be a clear cut violation. High schools have lost Title IX cases over the quality of the uniforms and the fields. The burden of proof in a Title IX case is on the school, which is a big part of the reason so many law firms are shopping for Title IX cases.

Add to that fact that women are 60% of college students in a shrinking market of students, and the bad press of defending a case alone may make it worth it to find a cheap and simple solution that would actually save the schools money.

Or the schools could follow your old male mansplaining logic about how it is fair for young ladies because they are on planes (or something) and the ladies just need to suck it up for the greater good of football, and see where that gets them.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
historically there's been 3 ways to go after schools on title ix, and this is based on whatever stuff i heard on some NBC thing back in the late 90s back when I was in HS. One is on participation numbers, another is on expenditures, the other on some kind of implied interest of students. The last one being a bizarre non-starter because of chicken and egg... and frankly this was like 25 years ago when I was in HS.

I think when most of the fur was flying on these lawsuits it was usually the first in combo with the second limited to scholarships. Nobody really wanted to knife football too hard by saying equal monies had to be spent but they do walk that line on other elements. I think the real reason is they generally don't want the issue going to a jury box because people look dismally on student athletes whining unless they're getting abused outright. You'd have to have things so out of whack beyond what is even normal. For instance maybe lunchables versus a 5-star menu.

----

I will say that title IX does have a small saving grace for a lot of schools as opportunities (read scholarships) can be restricted relatng to the split of male/female on campus. So if you are a tech school you aren't obligated to give womens schollies on a 1:1 basis. Presumably a teachers college with a high female count would be in the same boat but different.

Plaintiffs generally win Title IX cases, and the odds have been getting better for the plaintiffs over time.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I can’t edit my post, but going to court as a plaintiff with a demand that would actually save the defendant money, which breaking Olympic sports off of football would do, would really put the defendant on their heels. They would have to argue why they had no choice but to spend more money to make the plaintiffs situation worse, and all the burden of proof for justifying that stupidity would be on the defendant.

Does the old male lawyer in this thread still like the defendant’s position?

Reaction Score
The response to my earlier post still seems to be to assume facts not in evidence that would cause a Title IX violation, and then conclude there must be a Title IX violation. Nothing in conference realignment in and of itself requires a school to violate Title IX. There are women’s sports that are used to balance football that can only travel on weekends. Like crew and lacrosse.

Conference realignment does not prevent a school from violating Title IX, but it does not require a school to violate Title IX either.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well...some Olympic travel is non conference and thus voluntary...

Heck...even UConn Women's basketball...is going to Raleigh, Minnesota, the Cayman Islands, Austin Texas, Toronto, South Carolina....oh...the horror..the travel. cancel non conference travel if it is budensome.

Field Hockey...cancel the trips to Virginia, North Carolina, Syracuse and Philadelphia.

Softball...cancel the multi day trips to Atlanta, Gainesville, North Carolina, Virginia

Womens Track and Field....Orlando, Raleigh, Miami, Virginia, Jacksonville, and Austin...stop the burden of travel.

Going to a court claiming travel burden while voluntarily traipsing around the country ?

Reaction Score
The response to my earlier post still seems to be to assume facts not in evidence that would cause a Title IX violation, and then conclude there mjust be a Title IX violation. Nothing in conference realignment in and of itself requires a school to violate Title IX. There are women’s sports that are used to balance football that can only travel on weekends. Like crew and lacrosse.

Conference realignment does not prevent a school from violating Title IX, but it does not require a school to violate Title IX either.
As i read this back and forth I just assumed the people making the decisions in these moves that provide hundreds of millions of dollars, would kind of account for not having the whole thing fall apart because of a Title IX violation. Stranger things have happened though, like Florida State signing a 20 year GOR only to start crying 7 years into it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
As i read this back and forth I just assumed the people making the decisions in these moves that provide hundreds of millions of dollars, would kind of account for not having the whole thing fall apart because of a Title IX violation. Stranger things have happened though, like Florida State signing a 20 year GOR only to start crying 7 years into it.

This logic is terrible by even your standards. There are over 100+ open Title IX cases against colleges right now, so colleges violate it all the time. Secondly, the event that created this violation occurred a month ago, and Title IX was unlikely to even be a tertiary consideration in the decision to realign.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The response to my earlier post still seems to be to assume facts not in evidence that would cause a Title IX violation, and then conclude there mjust be a Title IX violation. Nothing in conference realignment in and of itself requires a school to violate Title IX. There are women’s sports that are used to balance football that can only travel on weekends. Like crew and lacrosse.

Facts not in evidence? Unless you don't have access to a map, the fact is in evidence that New Brunswick, NJ and Los Angeles, CA are 2426 miles apart. And unless someone has invented teleportation, it takes a long time to get from one to the other.

But please, explain maps and travel to female athletes. Let me know how it goes.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Well...some Olympic travel is non conference and thus voluntary...

Heck...even UConn Women's basketball...is going to Raleigh, Minnesota, the Cayman Islands, Austin Texas, Toronto, South Carolina....oh...the horror..the travel. cancel non conference travel if it is budensome.

Field Hockey...cancel the trips to Virginia, North Carolina, Syracuse and Philadelphia.

Softball...cancel the multi day trips to Atlanta, Gainesville, North Carolina, Virginia

Womens Track and Field....Orlando, Raleigh, Miami, Virginia, Jacksonville, and Austin...stop the burden of travel.

Going to a court claiming travel burden while voluntarily traipsing around the country ?

This thread is becoming a mansplaining parody.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom