Non-Key Tweets | Page 873 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
No. 1(b) terminated when we joined the Big East, so it's no longer operative. It prevented us from talking to a P-5 conference even about football (but not a G-5 conference) until we actually joined the Big East. Now that we're in the Big East, we're governed by 4(a) which would clearly let us join the XII as a football only. AGain, as I said, a possibilty that no one in their right mind should have been worrying about. And one that doesn't harm the Big East anyway.
I'm not an attorney so I'll take your word for it but why would section 4a reference 1b at all?

Reaction Score
What I've been wondering about is whether the rumor that Connecticut might begin play in the big 12 in football in 2024 is possible. We are an independent in football so that is not a problem, but it isn't clear to me, again because I've never read the actual rule, whether we could be into conferences at the same time during the transition period from the big east to the big 12.

Say that the new big east has the same notice rule that the oldbig is dead, 27 1/2 months. Could UConn say, we intend to leave the big east in 27 1/2 months and we're giving notice of that. In the meantime our football will start in the big 12 immediately. I don't know if that can be done.
I doubt the BigXII would want us as a "football only", even if it is only for a year or two.

Reaction Score
I'm not an attorney so I'll take your word for it but why would section 4a reference 1b at all?
That's a fair question, and I take my earlier answer back. I read it too quickly to pick up on the shoddy drafting. You can't make 4 and 1(b) make any sense together if you read them both literally. So a court would try to look at what the intent of the parties is since you can't be sure from what they signed.

Damn lawyers.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Non-Key Flugs apparently believes it will be Colorado's July 25th board meeting is the one that starts the chaos. Yormark has been indicating his offer for the B12 does sunset over labor day. Guns of August perhaps.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I doubt the BigXII would want us as a "football only", even if it is only for a year or two.
I somewhat agree. The only thing that would make sense to me would be if they were able to take a portion of the payments during transition. For example, see the big 12 broadcast deal is worth 31 million per school. And further assume that football is 80% of the value of that contract. By that logic the broadcast partners would be willing to pay the conference approximately 25 million for our football rights. I let's say that the conference and the school agree that half of that money will be distributed to Connecticut and the remaining half distributed among the rest of the league. Under those circumstances, the conference might want us in early.

The better question is would their media partners be willing to pony up 25 million for 10 Connecticut football games.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I seriously doubt (especially as this is about to spill over into August) that the plan would be for football to begin a year early but hypothetically, if we were to give our notice that we would leave the BE at the end of the 2024-2025 academic/athletic year and then join the B-12 for football a year early (fall 2024) what would the BE do? Kick us out of the conference?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Non-Key Flugs apparently believes it will be Colorado's July 25th board meeting is the one that starts the chaos. Yormark has been indicating his offer for the B12 does sunset over labor day. Guns of August perhaps.

Do we have to keep pretending that you are not rooting for UConn to get left out of this round of realignment?

Reaction Score
I seriously doubt (especially as this is about to spill over into August) that the plan would be for football to begin a year early but hypothetically, if we were to give our notice that we would leave the BE at the end of the 2024-2025 academic/athletic year and then join the B-12 for football a year early (fall 2024) what would the BE do? Kick us out of the conference?
Lol I know your question is rhetorical, but the answer is "no chance".

They will keep our non-football sports in the conference as long as they can continue to squeeze value from us, all the while praying the BigXII move falls apart and we end up staying.

Reaction Score
Saw this on twitter via facebook. This is why you don‘t on the B12,

1689799972856.png

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Where did you hear that?
Thought it was one of his B12 media days interviews about wanting/needing to wrap it up before we really get into football season.

That said, if they are close and making progress in August, doubt same date in Sept will really matter.

Reaction Score
Thought it was one of his B12 media days interviews about wanting/needing to wrap it up before we really get into football season.

That said, if they are close and making progress in August, doubt same date in Sept will really matter.
Oh, okay, that was the AD of BYU who said that during Big 12 media days.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You stop doubling down on a stupid position, and I will stop pointing out that it is stupid. Deal?
What position is that? I have no position.....I just want to be in the B12.

And if we don't get in this time around it will certainly suck. I have no faith in the idea the BE can keep up with the evolving P2-P4 landscape ahead in the next decade.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
What position is that? I have no position.....I just want to be in the B12.

And if we don't get in this time around it will certainly suck. I have no faith in the idea the BE can keep up with the evolving P2-P4 landscape ahead in the next decade.
I actually do think the Big East can keep up because people were saying the same thing 10 years ago. I would still like a P5 opportunity though.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I actually do think the Big East can keep up because people were saying the same thing 10 years ago. I would still like a P5 opportunity though.
That's an interesting POV....so if you think the BE can keep up, why bother moving to the far flung B12 with all its risks?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
One massive reason the BE wasn't hurt (when most felt they would slowly slide down in stature in comparison to P-5 conferences) was Nova being as good as they were. Jay Wright has retired, the possibility exists that outside of us, there will be a few schools that can periodically remain ranked for most of a season and possibly make a stray run in the tournament (sweet 16/elite 8) but the conference as a whole will find it more and more difficult to remain near the top, especially if we leave.

Reaction Score

I actually won’t be that bummed out if we don’t get into the Big 12. And they are flipping idiots if they don’t take us.

I think Benedict has created a feasible path to have a decent existence as an Indy. And Basketball is in great shape where it is now.

Of course you take the P5 if it comes. Which I am still skeptical on the chances.

Reaction Score
I actually won’t be that bummed out if we don’t get into the Big 12. And they are flipping idiots if they don’t take us.

I think Benedict has created a feasible path to have a decent existence as an Indy. And Basketball is in great shape where it is now.

Of course you take the P5 if it comes. Which I am still skeptical on the chances.
I will be bummed. Likely the demise of UConn as a player on the national stage. Basketball may be in great shape now, but for how long? Do you think top athletes will still come here when they can get more money from P3 schools? Do you think it is better to play Providence and DePaul than Kansas and Iowa State, perennial tourney teams? How long can independent status be beneficial and affordable? I agree that AD Dave has been great in keeping this ship afloat, but it will not last very long like this.

Reaction Score
One massive reason the BE wasn't hurt (when most felt they would slowly slide down in stature in comparison to P-5 conferences) was Nova being as good as they were. Jay Wright has retired, the possibility exists that outside of us, there will be a few schools that can periodically remain ranked for most of a season and possibly make a stray run in the tournament (sweet 16/elite 8) but the conference as a whole will find it more and more difficult to remain near the top, especially if we leave.
Jay Wright is great but he's not the only great coach to have ever coached basketball. Rick Pitino, Danny Hurley, Greg McDermott, Sean Miller, Shaka Smart, Ed Cooley, Shaheen Holloway, Thad Matta are all really good coaches and several of them are amongst the highest paid coaches in the country. The jury is out on Kyle Neptune but Nova will be ranked preseason, if it doesn't work out they will fire him and hire the best option out there. Same thing UConn did, same thing UNC will do if Hubert isn't the right guy.

It's absolutely the same argument we had on this board a decade ago. The Big East wasn't going anywhere then and it isn't going anywhere now. They're going to be the best basketball conference in the country next season and they were a foul call away from having two teams in the final 4 and a likely Big East national championship game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom