Non-Key Tweets | Page 872 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is independent in football. So it still is only affiliated with one conference.

For what it's worth, I've never actually read the rule. But I have heard it referenced a few times.
Sure but it’s not participating in a sport that is sponsored by the schools primary conference.

UConn’s scenario in this case (if somehow football went to the Big XII first) would be more akin to Hawaii playing all sports in the Big West and football in the Mountain West.

In the “basketball” scenario that’s not really a basketball only membership. It’d be basketball + other Olympic sports (many of which are really only conference championship sports (i.e. track, cross country, swimming). That would be similar to Notre Dame if UConn had to keep football independent

Reaction Score
July 1st, 2024
For a conference whose games will no longer be broadcast in less than 12 months, the member schools are being super chill about it. I knew the west coast was more laid back than the east, but this is something else.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is nothing more "peak Boneyard" than posters getting so invested in a position they took, like the Pac 12 collapsing, that they get angry when there is news that is contrary to that position, even if that news is good for UConn.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sure but it’s not participating in a sport that is sponsored by the schools primary conference.

UConn’s scenario in this case (if somehow football went to the Big XII first) would be more akin to Hawaii playing all sports in the Big West and football in the Mountain West.

In the “basketball” scenario that’s not really a basketball only membership. It’d be basketball + other Olympic sports (many of which are really only conference championship sports (i.e. track, cross country, swimming). That would be similar to Notre Dame if UConn had to keep football independent
What I've been wondering about is whether the rumor that Connecticut might begin play in the big 12 in football in 2024 is possible. We are an independent in football so that is not a problem, but it isn't clear to me, again because I've never read the actual rule, whether we could be into conferences at the same time during the transition period from the big east to the big 12.

Say that the new big east has the same notice rule that the oldbig is dead, 27 1/2 months. Could UConn say, we intend to leave the big east in 27 1/2 months and we're giving notice of that. In the meantime our football will start in the big 12 immediately. I don't know if that can be done.

Reaction Score
What I've been wondering about is whether the rumor that Connecticut might begin play in the big 12 in football in 2024 is possible. We are an independent in football so that is not a problem, but it isn't clear to me, again because I've never read the actual rule, whether we could be into conferences at the same time during the transition period from the big east to the big 12.

Say that the new big east has the same notice rule that the oldbig is dead, 27 1/2 months. Could UConn say, we intend to leave the big east in 27 1/2 months and we're giving notice of that. In the meantime our football will start in the big 12 immediately. I don't know if that can be done.
That’s the Hawaii - MWC scenario. Football in the Mountain West, everything else Big West.

Reaction Score

I don't think the Big East cares one iota where our football team plays so long as we stay in the Big EAst as a full member with us competing in all the sports it sponsors. And I would be surprised if we have to give any notice at all to the Big East because our football team only plays in another conference.

Frankly, I doubt either side was in the least concerned about a power conference giving us money to play football and not basketball. It would seem as likely as what happens if aliens invade the earth and demand that cricket gets the good fall Saturday tv slots.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There is nothing more "peak Boneyard" than posters getting so invested in a position they took, like the Pac 12 collapsing, that they get angry when there is news that is contrary to that position, even if that news is good for UConn.
Who said it would collapse? It's the 5th of the 5 P5, clearly so, and will have a much worse deal than the Big XII or ACC. That's happening.

Reaction Score
I don't see why football couldn't join immediately, unless it complicates membership with the Big East and would prevent us from playing there. We could even take a haircut the first few seasons for football and use that as justification to receive full shares when basketball joins fully.
What makes you think the Big 12 would even have any interest in having the fb team join immediately (assuming it didn’t cause any probs with the BE contract and there were no other hold ups)? It seems pretty clear that the football team is the biggest negative around UConn’s admission.

Reaction Score
What makes you think the Big 12 would even have any interest in having the fb team join immediately (assuming it didn’t cause any probs with the BE contract and there were no other hold ups)? It seems pretty clear that the football team is the biggest negative around UConn’s admission.
?? If UConn is joining the B12, then obviously having UConn football ramp up fast is in the interest of the B12. That's the whole point

Reaction Score
?? If UConn is joining the B12, then obviously having UConn football ramp up fast is in the interest of the B12. That's the whole point
Why does admission to the Big 12 automatically lead to ramping up? The team could easily continue to struggle. I suspect the Big 12 would rather any ramping up take place before joining or just delay the admission of football until basketball comes aboard. If you’re the Big 12, why share some of your tv revenue with a bad fb team when you can just keep it for yourself and grab that bad fb team later.

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
Feel like the Big 12 sees the potential and the market they're already desperately trying to get into, will ignore that as a whole like every team in the Big 12 were at one point historically awful in football, if they add UConn, they'll be adding them knowing the market and other athletics add much more right now, and that Mora as a coach with winning history in the P5 has already rocketed the football and will likely continue to, it's a long term thing not short.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Why does admission to the Big 12 automatically lead to ramping up? The team could easily continue to struggle. I suspect the Big 12 would rather any ramping up take place before joining or just delay the admission of football until basketball comes aboard. If you’re the Big 12, why share some of your tv revenue with a bad fb team when you can just keep it for yourself and grab that bad fb team later.
Because being in a P5 conference is a lot easier to sell to recruits than being an independent not named Notre Dame. There will be a ramp up.

That said, college football scheduling is a bit of a mess. So most likely, if it comes, football will join whenever it is easiest to fit them into the schedule. If we joined with Colorado it would probably be tied to when they stop playing Pac games.

Reaction Score
Just the knowledge that we will get there helps immediately. No need to complicate things.

Reaction Score
Here is the Big East contract with UConn. According to Sec 4. (a), UConn can participate in any conference with respect to any varsity sport not sponsored by the Big East. That's why we can be in Hockey East. It must apply to football, too.

1689784342025.png

1689784394486.png

4a is subject to 1b. 1b specifically excludes the P5 for football.

Yormark can change the name of the conference to the Big 14 and were good to go.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
View attachment 89847

View attachment 89848

Yormark can change the name of the conference to the Big 14 and were good to go.
1.b. only applies to the period of time between the Execution Date of the contract and the Entrance Date.

4.a. applies after the Entrance Date.

That's the way I read it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
View attachment 89847

View attachment 89848

No. 1(b) terminated when we joined the Big East, so it's no longer operative. It prevented us from talking to a P-5 conference even about football (but not a G-5 conference) until we actually joined the Big East. Now that we're in the Big East, we're governed by 4(a) which would clearly let us join the XII as a football only. AGain, as I said, a possibilty that no one in their right mind should have been worrying about. And one that doesn't harm the Big East anyway.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
No. 1(b) terminated when we joined the Big East, so it's no longer operative. It prevented us from talking to a P-5 conference even about football (but not a G-5 conference) until we actually joined the Big East. Now that we're in the Big East, we're governed by 4(a) which would clearly let us join the XII as a football only. AGain, as I said, a possibilty that no one in their right mind should have been worrying about. And one that doesn't harm the Big East anyway.

So in your estimation, could we join the B12 as a "football only" ala Navy in the AAC early and still have basketball and other Olympic sports in the Big East until an agreed upon date?

Reaction Score
I have absolutely no other way to ask you this but to be direct: are you seriously wondering whether inclusion into a P5 for football will help football recruiting?

No one said the B12 would immediately share their football revenue. In fact, I've been saying the opposite. They'll get a full share in several years, which is normal when it comes to P5 additions.

Lastly, UConn did pretty well the last time it was in a top football conference. It put a lot of players in the NFL. It went to several bowl games. It won games against current B12 teams like Baylor, Iowa St, West Virginia.

The whole point of the B12 issuing an invitation is to get eyeballs in the Connecticut market and that slice of the NYC market. With decent football.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So in your estimation, could we join the B12 as a "football only" ala Navy in the AAC early and still have basketball and other Olympic sports in the Big East until an agreed upon date?
1.(b) looks crystal clear on that to me. Yes.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't think the Big East cares one iota where our football team plays so long as we stay in the Big EAst as a full member with us competing in all the sports it sponsors. And I would be surprised if we have to give any notice at all to the Big East because our football team only plays in another conference.

Frankly, I doubt either side was in the least concerned about a power conference giving us money to play football and not basketball. It would seem as likely as what happens if aliens invade the earth and demand that cricket gets the good fall Saturday tv slots.
Well they did expressly provide for that in the contract between Connecticut and the Big East. In fact we were prohibited from even having conversations with P5 conferences until we actually became a member of the Big East.

In any event I don't think it's an issue between the conference and Connecticut so much as a supposed NCAA rule. I say supposed, because I've only seen it referenced and I've never read the actual rule.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom