Non-Key Tweets | Page 875 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Other than the fact that exactly the opposite has happened in actuality (FAU and SDSU in Final Four, TCU in Championship Game), this is a great point.
1) ignoring Miami who literally bought their team.
2) football will be a trailing indicator. It was fun to watch aTm crap the bed this year, but those paid-for all stars will be upperclassmen soon enough. Watch.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You accusing someone else of rooting for UConn to get left out of realignment is wild

I am pointing out that he keeps rooting for an event that will be very bad for UConn's realignment chances.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
True, but as JMick pointed out, there are potential work arounds.

I believe Georgia's athletic department recieved ~$25 million from boosters a couple years ago. There could easily be an organized redirection of these donations (prior to their being earmarked) to NIL collectives.

Anyone who believes that because (in its infancy) NIL hasn't yet been exploited to where it greatly benefits high revenue schools is indication that it won't be exploited at some point is kidding themself.

Some traditional schools will be losers in the new era, and some non-traditional programs will be winners in the new era. If Stanford or Northwestern wanted to get serious about sports, they could destroy the entire SEC with the financial firepower their alumni have. On the other hand, they may want no part of being a minor league. We will know soon enough.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
1) ignoring Miami who literally bought their team.
2) football will be a trailing indicator. It was fun to watch aTm crap the bed this year, but those paid-for all stars will be upperclassmen soon enough. Watch.

Everyone is buying their team.

The SEC schools will powerhouses in recruiting because they were willing to hand a bag full of cash to someone's dad or mom, and didn't care about getting caught. Now, handing a bag of cash to someone is not cheating. The SEC's main competitive advantage for recruiting is gone. Does a Mississippi State or LSU really have the financial firepower to go toe to toe with a city school for a player when that city has dozens of corporations that would be interested in NIL as part of a broader marketing budget?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
How far down the road? We don't know what any of this will look like in the future. Does the money they're shelling out right now for cable TV make sense? Is that the future? Does a Big 12 minus Texas and Oklahoma have the juice to justify the money that was shelled out for it? Does football keep getting more and more regional/Southern and poor?

Half this board said the Big East was finished a decade ago and wouldn't be able to compete in basketball going forward. If most of us are still here in another 10 years will we be having the same conversation again?

In the last decade the power leagues have further consolidated decision making, tv money, and access to bowls/NCAAT.

It's hard for me to believe they won't enact further measures to benefit their own cause.

Which side of the fence do you want to be on? Aligned with the power football leagues, or with Seton Hall?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They went out and spent the money on a big named coach who had a vision and he's helping the team turn the corner.
Actually Jim Mora is incredibly affordable for a football coach. I think he's making like $.20 on the dollar of what Hurley makes, but otherwise completely agree with your post.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
In the last decade the power leagues have further consolidated decision making, tv money, and access to bowls/NCAAT.

It's hard for me to believe they won't enact further measures to benefit their own cause.

Which side of the fence do you want to be on? Aligned with the power football leagues, or with Seton Hall?

The last 20 years have witnessed a massive fragmentation of media and entertainment, and that has accelerated rapidly since streaming.

We are seeing lots of the same things happening in sports now. People are no longer forced to watch the CBS or ABC game of the week if they want to watch football at 3:30. The networks no longer choose what people watch, and that is going to change the revenues soon enough.

NIL and the Transfer Portal have also changed the game, with FAU and SDSU making the Final Four, and TCU making the NC game for football. It is not a coincidence that all three schools are in big cities.

I am absolutely confident that the Big East will continue to be strong into the future, but the Big East does not have football. So the question is, does UConn want to be aligned with a bunch of rural state schools in flyover country, or with schools in big cities? Interestingly, the Big 12 now has a lot of both, so we wouldn't have to choose. This is part of the reason why I am generally positively disposed towards joining the Big 12, but it wouldn't crush me if we didn't get invited.

Reaction Score
Some traditional schools will be losers in the new era, and some non-traditional programs will be winners in the new era. If Stanford or Northwestern wanted to get serious about sports, they could destroy the entire SEC with the financial firepower their alumni have. On the other hand, they may want no part of being a minor league. We will know soon enough.
The fact that a school has rich alumni is not the same as a school having rich alumni who are willing to give material amounts of their wealth for the benefit of their school's athletic department.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I am absolutely confident that the Big East will continue to be strong into the future, but the Big East does not have football. So the question is, does UConn want to be aligned with a bunch of rural state schools in flyover country, or with schools in big cities? Interestingly, the Big 12 now has a lot of both, so we wouldn't have to choose. This is part of the reason why I am generally positively disposed towards joining the Big 12, but it wouldn't crush me if we didn't get invited.

I won't be crushed from a basketball standpoint - UConn basketball I feel confident will be fine in either league at least for the time being (caveat being a huge unknown for the future TV deal), but it probably cements our place as a mid major football program. Mora can work wonders but as an Indy what's even the ceiling?

Reaction Score
The reported cooling has nothing to do with us. Waiting on the pac has just taken the momentum out of the whole thing, which the pac quite possibly did on purpose. Yormark wants us in the conference. His reasoning is significant. They need a region with substantial eyeballs. Too much of that conference is in the middle of nowhere or is redundant.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The reported cooling has nothing to do with us. Waiting on the pac has just taken the momentum out of the whole thing, which the pac quite possibly did on purpose. Yormark wants us in the conference. His reasoning is significant. They need a region with substantial eyeballs. Too much of that conference is in the middle of nowhere or is redundant.

I mean, they managed a $30M+ annual TV distribution per member school. I don't think they need UConn to save them.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, we know one thing: Yormark seems to want UConn. Now, whether that is enough to get the school presidents on board, we don't know.

I'm about 50/50 on the PAC12 situation. If none of them leave, UConn is the top candidate. But, would the XII expand with just UConn or UConn and another G5 addition? Again, we don't know.

I don't think we have lost momentum as a candidate; the talking has just paused...

Reaction Score
I mean, they managed a $30M+ annual TV distribution per member school. I don't think they need UConn to save them.
That conference isn’t going to see much growth or attention If they don’t get into the big east coast markets. They know it. If they can gain ground in the east, and become relevant in New York City, they will be in a much stronger position when the ACC falls apart. They need to stake a claim to it while they can.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
At the end of the day, we know one thing: Yormark seems to want UConn. Now, whether that is enough to get the school presidents on board, we don't know.

I'm about 50/50 on the PAC12 situation. If none of them leave, UConn is the top candidate. But, would the XII expand with just UConn or UConn and another G5 addition? Again, we don't know.

I don't think we have lost momentum as a candidate; the talking has just paused...
If the Pac-12 stabilizes, I think the Big 12 stays at 12, and I think the Pac-12 may just stay at 10.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
That conference isn’t going to see much growth or attention If they don’t get into the big east coast markets. They know it. If they can gain ground in the east, and become relevant in New York City, they will be in a much stronger position when the ACC falls apart. They need to stake a claim to it while they can.
If the ACC loses 2-6 schools, WVU, Cincy, and UCF would likely want to go there. The 80 million dollar exit fee and the ACC's lower distribution might kill that though.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The fact that a school has rich alumni is not the same as a school having rich alumni who are willing to give material amounts of their wealth for the benefit of their school's athletic department.
Yeah. Where's Bob been since Bain gave him the bag?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
X 1000 on this one.

The culture in the northeast in particular is heavily tilted away from giving for sports and instead giving for absolutely everything else; buildings, research centers, teaching positions, you name it.

Of course you keep trying...just don't expect it to be some greenfield lush with unpicked berries.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

So you think an athletic department would be better off if its school had less rich alumni?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom