Non-Key Tweets | Page 811 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I should not be paying attention to this thread today. I should be feeling an elated exhaustion about my alma mater's 5th MBB National title, but alas...

Why do I have the feeling that, particularly without Texas and Oklahoma, the Big XII is the AAC with a higher payout, but only for the time being? Will UConn's closest "rival" really be West Virginia? The almighty dollar is a necessity, but I hate that UConn appears to be chasing it to the detriment of the lower revenue programs, who would also have to travel to Lawrence, Ames, Manhattan (KS), Stillwater, and varies Texas cities.

The Big Ten remains the Belle of the Ball and the ACC makes the most sense, but after UConn's AAC experience and what basketball was able to do last night, I'm not feeling the Big XII at the moment, despite the AD deficit.
If the big 12 offered us full membership, of course, we’d have to take it, but I fully agree with you that it isn’t the best fit for us.

If the ACC offered us a full membership, we’d have to take it, notwithstanding, the fact it will likely be rated at the end of the current GOR in 2036 and that the conference payout is the worst among the P5.

If the Big Ten offered us a membership, of course, we would take it gratefully! It would literally be a lifesaver for the financial stability of the athletic department, and a boon to the University as a whole. It is an a great fit, with the regional games, being Rutgers, PSU, and Maryland.

What’s the common denominator in all of those scenarios? Someone has to invite us to join. I’m not holding my breath about it. In the near term.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Can there be a more "non-key" tweet than someone I've never heard of not giving us (actual or alleged) news but saying he has it and not providing it?
About Utah, no less

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Would soccer and field hockey be able to stay in the Big East if we went to the Big XII? I realize it's irrelevant to the discussion of whether we accept an invite, I just worry about all things UConn.

Reaction Score
Would soccer and field hockey be able to stay in the Big East if we went to the Big XII? I realize it's irrelevant to the discussion of whether we accept an invite, I just worry about all things UConn.
I don't think they have field hockey, but do have women's soccer.

Reaction Score
If I'm Yormark I'm switching focus from West to East. I think the PAC is going to stabilize for the time being. So the plan should be to get some Big East programs besides UConn. Bring in up to six non-football programs in critical areas (Northeast and Midwest) - Providence, St. John's, Villanova, Georgetown, Marquette, Creighton - then bring in USF to complete the all-sports adds. That's 14 full + 6 non-football.

Reaction Score
If I'm Yormark I'm switching focus from West to East. I think the PAC is going to stabilize for the time being. So the plan should be to get some Big East programs besides UConn. Bring in up to six non-football programs in critical areas (Northeast and Midwest) - Providence, St. John's, Villanova, Georgetown, Marquette, Creighton - then bring in USF to complete the all-sports adds. That's 14 full + 6 non-football.
Congrats, you just cut everyone's pay by at least 5 million

Reaction Score
Which is why I referenced to the higher payout. However Oklahoma and Texas are what legitimized the Big XII and provided their original seat at the table. If Houston, Cinci, and USF had similar cache, TV execs should have been wet for the AAC.
You realize that with the four new schools and with OU and Texas removed, the Big 12 managed a six year media deal extension that is paying out MORE than they make with OU and Texas right? They're locked in through 2031-2032 with almost 32MM for the media + playoff/bowls/ncaa tournament/etc. They're looking at a $45-50MM annual payout.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Everyone's after that lucrative Mountain time zone market where all of 5% of the country lives.
But it’s a quality 5%…

Reaction Score

Attachments

• 60F0488E-A6C7-4B5B-8260-B4A66419C7C8.jpeg
    60F0488E-A6C7-4B5B-8260-B4A66419C7C8.jpeg
    527.6 KB · Views: 176
Reaction Score

If true, I’m not surprised, the six could be

FSU
Clemson
UNC
Virginia
VTech
GTech or Duke?

Would NCState be attractive? That’s 8. And don’t count out those backstabbing Panthers.

i wonder if BCU is talking to the Mid American or CUSA?

why would any ACC school jump to the b12 now? The sec and B1G would need to take 4 each to make it 8. Never happening.

Reaction Score

FSU
Clemson
UNC
Virginia
VTech
GTech or Duke?

Would NCState be attractive? That’s 8. And don’t count out those backstabbing Panthers.

I don't think they could get to eight because I don't think there are eight programs that believe they have ready options that better than their current situation. The SEC and BiG are not going to take eight ACC programs. I assume ND does not count in that calculation.

Reaction Score

FSU
Clemson
UNC
Virginia
VTech
GTech or Duke?

why would any ACC school jump to the b12 now? The sec and B1G would need to take 4 each to make it 8. Never happening.
I think the NC and VA schools are the key. NC State and VTech SEC, Carolina and UVA Big Ten. If Duke gets a seat in the Big Ten that is 7, of the 8 along with FSU and Clemson. I just don't think Clemson adds anything to the SEC since they're already in South Carolina.

Reaction Score

FSU
Clemson
UNC
Virginia
VTech
GTech or Duke?

The bottom teams in the league might jump to the big 12 if they saw the writing on the wall that the big guns were heading to big 10 or sec…..if Louisville knew fsu Clemson Virginia and North Carolina were heading out a life raft from the big 12 would look pretty good

Reaction Score
B1G needs to be in Florida. FSU might be an option, but might go to the SEC. B1G might target both FSU and Miami.

Reaction Score
They don’t have enough teams that have greener pastures to get the votes.

The first issue is ESPN. In an environment where Disney is actively cutting there is little incentive for ESPN to encourage blowing up a contract that gives them valuable content at a reasonable rate for the next dozen years. That limits the incentive for them to encourage either the SEC or the Big XII to add. Realistically how many ACC schools are valued at the full share SEC amount, let alone are additive? UNC perhaps… Clemson and Florida St are the name brands but are in states that the SEC network already has full carriage on. From there you’re looking at the second team in NC or Virginia. It’s not a great fit… and the teams who can be considered is too limited.

The Big XII is largely a lateral move financially and a step back for the academics within the ACC. They’re a break glass option if and only if they were no longer protected through the GOR.

The Big Ten is the conference that would have an incentive, but has the highest contract that would require the biggest brands to make it a beneficial move. There aren’t enough teams they could add that would allow the GOR to be canceled and add value to their deal.

ESPN isn’t going to sign off on paying a premium for rights they already own cheaply. The Big Ten doesn’t have enough spots open, the Big XII is a backup plan for the schools now. I don’t see it.

Additionally, Swai/m is also a Big XII mouthpiece… Yormark probably called a bunch of schools and leaked it to Swai/m (similar to how the C-USA commissioner called UConn and was politely told no thank you and then got it leaked), Swai/m then ran with schools are having conversations for his own benefits and Yormark can then see if he can get some schools to panic that their conference-mates are bailing and commit.

Reaction Score

FSU
Clemson
UNC
Virginia
VTech
GTech or Duke?

NC State has almost 40k students. Sounds like SEC material to me.
L-ville is looking around the room thinking how the heck did we get invited in the first place? Let's not push our luck, go Big 12 before we end up in the AAC
Pitt and SU thinking maybe we should beat L-ville to the punch or end up in the MAC
BCU has a kungfu grip on the ACC, it doesn't want to go to the Patriot

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

FSU
Clemson
UNC
Virginia
VTech
GTech or Duke?

Not that I believe any of this, getting to 8 wouldn’t be a problem if schools like Louisville, NCST or Va Tech realize they need a lifeboat. I also believe that if this were really true, the Big10/Fox/CBS and SEC/ESPN would have already carved up the ACC. I might look like this:

Big10: FSU, Miami, ND (ND signed a GOR)
SEC: Clemson, UNC, UVA
Big12: Va Tech, NCST

If you want to add Louisville to the Big12 for 8 not including ND or switch some of the schools around between the Big10 and SEC, that would work too. I could be talked into Georgia Tech replacing Miami in the Big10 for the Atlanta market.

It’s possible, but some schools would have to be convinced that their situation is dire and need a lifeboat to the Big12. I don’t think that Swa!m has any inside knowledge and this is most likely all BS.

Reaction Score
Not that I believe any of this, getting to 8 wouldn’t be a problem if schools like Louisville, NCST or Va Tech realize they need a lifeboat. I also believe that if this were really true, the Big10/Fox/CBS and SEC/ESPN would have already carved up the ACC. I might look like this:

Big10: FSU, Miami, ND (ND signed a GOR)
SEC: Clemson, UNC, UVA
Big12: Va Tech, NCST

If you want to add Louisville to the Big12 for 8 not including ND or switch some of the schools around between the Big10 and SEC, that would work too. I could be talked into Georgia Tech replacing Miami in the Big10 for the Atlanta market.

It’s possible, but some schools would have to be convinced that their situation is dire and need a lifeboat to the Big12. I don’t think that Swa!m has any inside knowledge and this is most likely all BS.
Hasn't the B1G always coveted UNC and Virginia as well as GT for its fast growing Atlanta market? Maybe it has changed since the B1G seems to be on a big metro bent when it comes to adding schools these days. Add in ND and that's a nice four for the B1G. A B1G school in Florida would feel out of place.

Reaction Score
B1G needs to be in Florida. FSU might be an option, but might go to the SEC. B1G might target both FSU and Miami.

Pure speculation on my part, but I would not be at all surprised if the BiG and SEC have given a wink and a nod to stay north and south. Not that they would ever collude mind you.......

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom