Non-Key Tweets | Page 77 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It's going to take a long time but I think that the dismantling of rivalries will be a huge issue in college sports. Until the TV money dries up they won't notice.

Good point, while the TV money is here for the foreseeable future, there is bound to be a tipping point.

I often wonder if college sports will eventually kill the golden goose, but think as a disgruntled UConn fan (CR wise) I'm too biased to judge.

If you step back and really look at the conference landscape it really is profound how absurd these conferences have become.

Reaction Score
Alright: This thread is sounding like the classical 5 stages of grief. So which stage are we currently in?:
1. Denial 2.Anger 3.Bargaining 4. Depression 5. Acceptance

(end of Psych 101 thoughts-it's been so long I don't even remember if I took the class in Arjona, Monteith, or summer session at the Waterbury Branch)

Reaction Score
Alright: This thread is sounding like the classical 5 stages of grief. So which stage are we currently in?:

(end of Psych 101 thoughts-it's been so long I don't even remember if I took the class in Arjona, Monteith, or summer session at the Waterbury Branch)

Acceptance

Reaction Score

Dr. Elisabeth Kubler Ross. We watched a video in high school.
Anger/Acceptance.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

F) all of the above?

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert @theDudeofWV · Jun 25
@Transic_nyc That’s huge that BTN is on basic. That means huge $ as subscribers pay top $ for it regardless if they want it or not.

Christopher Lambert @theDudeofWV · Jun 25
“It indicates that the Eastern initiative is moving forward in the direction we hoped it would…”Delany said - Damn scary.
  1. Blaine Phipps ‏@bephipps Jun 25
    @theDudeofWV: what is the "Eastern initiative"?

2. Christopher Lambert @theDudeofWV · Jun 25
    @bephipps You mean operation “Kill the ACC”? The $ UMD & RU added to the BTN advantage.

Reaction Score
To me, the ACC has a second chance to get it right. UConn and the ACC need to come to an understanding. It may not be today or tomorrow but it has to be soon. You belong in a real and competitive Eastern conference.

Reaction Score
To me, the ACC has a second chance to get it right. UConn and the ACC need to come to an understanding. It may not be today or tomorrow but it has to be soon. You belong in a real and competitive Eastern conference.
Worried?

Dooley

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 2m
The fact that the BTN is on basic cable in the NY TV puts the B1G in a great position to expand if the ACC exit fee is ruled punitive.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 1m
If that occurs the B1G will attack the ACC GoR by arguing the B12 terms set the fair market standard & ACC schools signed under duress.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 39s
My opinion is that both the ACC & B12 are secure. I don’t see any ACC school taking the risk despite the huge difference in $.

Reaction Score
I was thinking about that with regards to the ACC/AAC pay outs per team/whole league.

Hypothetically, by the time this look in would occur, say they grab UConn/WVU (as the Big12 GOR wouldn't be so many years out).

From there you'd have basically the combined Big East (football) and ACC - or what should've happened years ago.

Have all teams under the ACC umbrella from Boston to Miami ( aside from NJ).

I think fan interest and ratings will ultimately suffer as rivalries cease to exist or fade awaay.

Just highlight the rivalry games in both sports - no need for divisions two highest ranked teams play for the ACC CG and in basketball just play your rivals twice.

I've seen Michigan fans complaining about their home slate of Maryland, Penn state, Indiana and Minnesota and I imagine FSU wwon't be happy with a BC, Pitt type double dip, where as vs UConn/WVU those are bigger games.

Just my rambling thoughts tho..
@aside from (NJ,MD,Del,WV,Penn(outside Pitt),NYC and DC metro)!!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
:confused::mad:Hear what he said ? Ride on>>> Too MEeee!!! Scene from The Magnificent 7 with an astonished Eli Wallach playing the Mexican bandits(60/70) leader being told by 7 gringo's to move on!! RIP Eli Wallach....same might now be said to the ACC after letting a huge chunk of the eastern corrider evaporate into a heretofore percieved midwestern conference to a national conference in the blink of an eye "in 1 baffling move". Keep MD and add NJ/NYC/Conn would have set the ACC up until the next millenium as a top P5 or an even or better basis than the SEC/B1G!! Swoffy just needed a little foresight.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

Dooley

Reaction Score
Expansion Crush ‏@expansion_crush 1h
Kindred: Four-year scholarship guarantee too costly for some schools http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/columnists/kindred/article_fcabd61e-1b3e-5189-8b54-6a12d54d1a11.html…

Kindred: Four-year scholarship guarantee too costly for some schools

Print Randy Kindred rkindred@pantagraph.com
(0) Comments
It sounds terrific. An athlete signs on National Letter of Intent Day and is guaranteed a four-year scholarship to a Division I university.

No longer does he/she have to worry if his/her scholarship will be renewed on a year to year basis. The deal is locked in. Also included is a boost in health care benefits to athletes and financial assistance for former athletes who return to finish their degrees.

Again, sounds great.

Big Ten Conference presidents came out in support of it this week. And on Friday, Indiana athletic director Fred Glass told the Associated Press the school will immediately begin guaranteeing four-year scholarships, and agree not to reduce the amount students on partial scholarships receive based on illness, injury or ability.

Glass called the program “Hoosiers for Life,” with the school paying tuition, books and fees for any scholarship student who was eligible at least two years at Indiana and leaves school early for a family emergency or to pursue a professional career (i.e., entering a draft) or any other reason.

By now you’re probably wondering how much this will cost and how Indiana will pay for it.

Glass couldn’t put a price tag on it, other than to tell the AP it likely would be “hundreds of thousands of dollars a year.” He said the university would try to raise funds and create an endowment.

There is the rub, and it’s a big one.

Indiana likely can pull it off. It has the benefit of being in the Big Ten and reaping the millions in television revenue from the Big Ten Network and elsewhere. It also has a large alumni base.

But what if you’re not Indiana, not in the Big Ten, not in a power conference … yet still are in Division I?

What if you’re Illinois State?

Finding an extra “hundreds of thousands of dollars a year” is a monumental – perhaps impossible – task for the ISUs of Division I. So you continue to provide scholarship money on a year to year basis, unless of course the four-year guarantee is mandated by the NCAA.

At present, the NCAA simply says schools can offer four-year guarantees if they so choose. The option has been available since 2012, and many have gone that route in football and assorted other sports.

Pressure to make it a department-wide policy, like at Indiana, has been heightened by an ongoing lawsuit against the NCAA led by former UCLA basketball star Ed O’Bannon and the threat of the first college athletes union at Northwestern.

It may lead every school in every power conference to join Indiana. While that is a clear “win” for the athletes at those schools, where does it leave ISU, Missouri State, Southern Illinois et al?

Competing with the power conferences for recruits would become that much tougher. The separation between the Division I haves and have-nots would grow wider.

The four-year guarantee is designed to better serve the needs of athletes and discourage a coach from “running off” a player after a year or two years because a better one has come along.

In theory, it is about commitment and trust from the school to its student-athletes. In reality, it is about dollars and cents.

That’s the rub.

Reaction Score
I've been following the O'Bannon case pretty closely the past few weeks and I'm convinced that the new division everyone has been discussing is going to be ratified - probably sooner rather than later.

There's been a lot of positioning going on during the trial and open discussion from the NCAA that the status quo is failing student athletes. I think they will see the new division as a way to both appease the P5 and get ahead of future lawsuits.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I've been following the O'Bannon case pretty closely the past few weeks and I'm convinced that the new division everyone has been discussing is going to be ratified - probably sooner rather than later.

There's been a lot of positioning going on during the trial and open discussion from the NCAA that the status quo is failing student athletes. I think they will see the new division as a way to both appease the P5 and get ahead of future lawsuits.

It really is a devious plan, ain't it? Hiding behind "student-athlete welfare" to implement new rules changes that are too expensive for most non-P5 schools to follow. The early stages of the split are definitely here. 4 year scholarships, player stipends, full cost of tuition, increased health insurance for injured players, etc. There is zero chance that the majority of G5 schools (and a few grandfathered P5 schools too, I think) will be able to afford these.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom