Non-Key Tweets | Page 76 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is, in many ways, my nightmare scenario. Being in Big 12 would be a horrible for us. Travel would be a horrible and we aren't a good cultural fit, but we couldn't afford to turn it down. The only worse than Big 12 invite is staying in the American.

So the nightmare is current state? If you don't like travel... it's no worse than today.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Soccer would find an easy home in the Big East just like field hockey.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The B12 is definitely not the best cultural fit for UCONN, but we just need to get on the damn bus at this point. We'll worry about where it's going later. If they offer an invite, we better goshdarn accept it.

pj

Reaction Score
The Big 12 would be great. It would be great basketball, it would really elevate the football program, it would give us a national audience. It would only be a 10-year steppingstone to the B1G. For 10 years, it would be a great experience.

Reaction Score
I never remotely considered the Big 12 an option. Texas and Oklahoma inviting Connecticut, it just never seemed at all likely. Of course, stranger things have happened.

In a way, Michigan and Ohio St. invited Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert @theDudeofWV · 3h
Clarification on this mornings expansion info. BYU is clearly #11 should the B12 expand in the next 1-10 years.

Christopher Lambert @theDudeofWV · 3h
UCF has a slight lead over the rest due to their recent success but its only a lead by a nose over the others. Everyone else is tied.

Christopher Lambert‏@theDudeofWV 3h
@Iamgrizzly1974 @frencha2 UCONN is on the list. Sitting at #3 right now.

He was killing m h v e r 3, last week for saying what he is saying today. Must be the same guy.

Reaction Score
Travel would be no worse than it is now. Staying in the AAC is the worst fate that UConn could have.

How much money does soccer bring to UConn? Would you rather be in a P5 conference that doesn't play soccer or the midmajor AAC?
personally, I'm not a huge soccer fan. But, if you look at the sports sponsored by the Big12, I don't think soccer is the only mis-alignment.

it just furthers the point that the Big12 is not ideal for uconn. If invited however, you do the same thing as WV and go. And then find homes for some of your other sports.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So the nightmare is current state? If you don't like travel... it's no worse than today.
Nah, the nightmare is no significant television money, bad bowls, minimal playoff access and the potential looking at P5 autonomy from outside the fence. The lack of a conference that makes geographic sense is just a bonus.

Reaction Score
I never remotely considered the Big 12 an option. Texas and Oklahoma inviting Connecticut, it just never seemed at all likely. Of course, stranger things have happened.
We've had basketball series with both schools in recent years. The Athletic Departments aren't strangers. I'm sure Kansas wouldn't mind having another basketball minded school around. WVU would probably stick their neck out for us a bit more than our former brethren in the ACC. The travel would be marginally worse but the expenses would be much more easily covered.

Reaction Score
  1. Albert Ruscitto ‏@CincyP5orbust 10h
    @theDudeofWV And to further clarify, you still see that B12 expansion is very unlikely anytime soon?

2. Christopher Lambert‏@theDudeofWV 6h
    @CincyP5orbust It all depends on the August vote. If the big 5 decide that 65% majority vote passes new rules forgot about B12 expansion.

Even though everything these guys post is crazy, the second tweet in particular makes no sense. The passage of new rules would loosen regulations about championship games. The status quo puts more pressure on the B12 to add because the other conferences might have biases against a conference with no championship game. While a school like Texas might be protected with an 12-0 record, are you telling me that a 12-0 Oklahoma St. is going to get a berth in the event Ohio State goes 13-0, Florida St. goes 13-0, Oregon goes 13-0 and Alabama goes 12-1?

I don't think so.

Reaction Score
Dan Duggan @DDuggan21 · 2m
The BTN will now be broadly available on all three of the major cable providers in the area.

At a media lunch with Big Ten Network president Mark Silverman. He said the network now has a deal with Comcast in New Jersey.

Reaction Score
The BTN will now be broadly available on all three of the major cable providers in the area.

At a media lunch with Big Ten Network president Mark Silverman. He said the network now has a deal with Comcast in New Jersey.

Okay. So Big Ten Network made a deal for Jersey. Are you truly surprised?? Is it part of a sports pack, basic, premium, what are you talking here? What is the fees? Is it the same fees & level as with PA, OH, IL, and etc?

I mean I get the Big Ten Network in Connecticut on my sports pack and HD channel pack.

Reaction Score
Getting the cable companies to add the BTN is not a big deal. It's how much the companies are paying for it. Delany probably let them get it for it cheap knowing the key was to just to get added for now. They can negotiate the higher fees once they get start getting actual viewers.

Reaction Score

Even though this has nothing to do with UCONN I actually think this belongs in the Key tweets thread. Non-key tweets are usually reserved for those that either get their info from their local moonshiner or from "the force" (while at some black-tie event)

Reaction Score
Feel like if we are really going with truth in advertising there ought to be an ESPN logo on Pacman.
No ESPiN would be on the face of the coin used in order to play the game!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
LOL at the protesting. I feel stupid for not realizing that Delany knew the BTN would not have a problem before inviting Rutgers. I thought it would be a war. It was not.

Reaction Score
Getting the cable companies to add the BTN is not a big deal. It's how much the companies are paying for it. Delany probably let them get it for it cheap knowing the key was to just to get added for now. They can negotiate the higher fees once they get start getting actual viewers
UConn (FIFY)

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
LOL at the protesting. I feel stupid for not realizing that Delany knew the BTN would not have a problem before inviting Rutgers. I thought it would be a war. It was not.

It makes sense that Delany knew he'd have NJ locked up beforehand ( why else take the monumental disaster that is Rutgers).

NJ alone from a tv dollars standpoint made the Rutgers invite worthwhile.

It appears BTN also has had an easy time getting on basic in NYC. Unless I missed it, I haven't seen the carriage rates in the city yet.

From a UConn perspective it seems bleak. Even with CT and a bump in NYC carriage, it's tough to see us paying for ourselves.

Feel like the only hope is the ACC doing another contract " look in" and our football will be back to respectability and maybe we get a look, possibly with west Virginia?

All in all... Seems pretty bleak.

Most realistic change I still think is a Big12 blow up and merge with AAC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It makes sense that Delany knew he'd have NJ locked up beforehand ( why else take the monumental disaster that is Rutgers).

It appears BTN also has had an easy time getting on basic in NYC. Unless I missed it, I haven't seen the carriage rates in the city yet.

From a UConn perspective it seems bleak. Even with CT and a bump in NYC carriage, it's tough to see us paying for ourselves.

Feel like the only hope is the ACC doing another contract " look in" and our football will be back to respectability and maybe we get a look, possibly with west Virginia?

The problem with an ACC look-in is that ESPN owns the entire AAC for the price of a single ACC team.

I think you've got the short term reality: Hope that the Big 12 either blows up or needs to expand.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
ConnHuskBask said:

$2 × 1.4M x 12 = $34.4M × 50% = $17.2M

Tell me how we don't pay for ourselves?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The problem with an ACC look-in is that ESPN owns the entire AAC for the price of a single ACC team.

I think you've got the short term reality: Hope that the Big 12 either blows up or needs to expand.

I was thinking about that with regards to the ACC/AAC pay outs per team/whole league.

Hypothetically, by the time this look in would occur, say they grab UConn/WVU (as the Big12 GOR wouldn't be so many years out).

From there you'd have basically the combined Big East (football) and ACC - or what should've happened years ago.

Have all teams under the ACC umbrella from Boston to Miami ( aside from NJ).

I think fan interest and ratings will ultimately suffer as rivalries cease to exist or fade awaay.

Just highlight the rivalry games in both sports - no need for divisions two highest ranked teams play for the ACC CG and in basketball just play your rivals twice.

I've seen Michigan fans complaining about their home slate of Maryland, Penn state, Indiana and Minnesota and I imagine FSU wwon't be happy with a BC, Pitt type double dip, where as vs UConn/WVU those are bigger games.

Just my rambling thoughts tho..

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I was thinking about that with regards to the ACC/AAC pay outs per team/whole league.

Hypothetically, by the time this look in would occur, say they grab UConn/WVU (as the Big12 GOR wouldn't be so many years out).

From there you'd have basically the combined Big East (football) and ACC - or what should've happened years ago.

Have all teams under the ACC umbrella from Boston to Miami ( aside from NJ).

I think fan interest and ratings will ultimately suffer as rivalries cease to exist or fade awaay.

Just highlight the rivalry games in both sports - no need for divisions two highest ranked teams play for the ACC CG and in basketball just play your rivals twice.

I've seen Michigan fans complaining about their home slate of Maryland, Penn state, Indiana and Minnesota and I imagine FSU wwon't be happy with a BC, Pitt type double dip, where as vs UConn/WVU those are bigger games.

Just my rambling thoughts tho..

It's going to take a long time but I think that the dismantling of rivalries will be a huge issue in college sports. Until the TV money dries up they won't notice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom