Non-Key Tweets | Page 723 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
WVU did the right thing. The only thing.

As the water was rapidly receding, trapping fish in tidal pools, they caught a last wave out to the sea.

Those trapped by the receding tide still thrash in the shallow pools while the waves crashing in the big water are so near.

Sure, they are swimming with bigger fish, but they are swimming.
No doubt. I'm just saying he's unrealistic about their place and doesn't get that while WVU football was a big deal in the Big East they are never going to be the premier team or one of the premier teams in the Big12.

Reaction Score
It is tough to be good the decade after changing leagues....

...Miami was going to the "All Canes Conference"...yet haven't sniffed a division championship in the 13 years that they have been there.

...Nebraska hasn't won their division since moving to the Big Ten in 2004

....the jury is still out on Maryland and their potential to win their division.

....the jury took 4 minutes to return a verdict on Rutgers...will never win their division.

....Texas A&M has improved their record from the last years in Big 12...but no division championship.

Reaction Score
It is tough to be good the decade after changing leagues....

...Miami was going to the "All Canes Conference"...yet haven't sniffed a division championship in the 13 years that they have been there.

...Nebraska hasn't won their division since moving to the Big Ten in 2004

....the jury is still out on Maryland and their potential to win their division.

....the jury took 4 minutes to return a verdict on Rutgers...will never win their division.

....Texas A&M has improved their record from the last years in Big 12...but no division championship.
Louisville seems to be successful...

Reaction Score
Louisville seems to be successful...
Yup, and VT had a pretty easy transition too. Shoot, even BC was successful (playing in ACC CG's) their first few seasons... far better than they ever were in the OBE. Mizzou had more success in the SEC than they did in the B12.

Reaction Score
Missouri wasn't expected to compete in the SEC in football. They won two division titles.

Reaction Score
BC did its best in the ACC with Big East recruited players.

...BC did its best in the ACC with a future 9 year and counting NFL quarterback...Matt Ryan...who took his team to the Super Bowl last season.

Having an elite QB will push any team up.....

NC State has been dismal...but with Phillip Rivers (NFL QB) they won 11 games. Rivers is 14 years and counting in the NFL and has the fifth most starts in NFL history.

Reaction Score
...BC did its best in the ACC with a future 9 year and counting NFL quarterback...Matt Ryan...who took his team to the Super Bowl last season.

NC State has been dismal...but with Phillip Rivers (NFL QB) they won 11 games. Rivers is 14 years and counting in the NFL and has the fifth most starts in NFL history.
basketball too!

Reaction Score

Thank you for the history and football lesson, Matt was being recruited prior to the 2003 season.

Reaction Score
Thank you for the history and football lesson, Matt was being recruited prior to the 2003 season.

And BC was being recruited prior to the 2003 season. as well..LOL

But, it is about the QB in football. Surrounding cast is nice to have...but you have to have a QB.

For instance, UCF won 12 games with future NFL'r Bortles at QB...he left for the 2014 draft and by 2015, UCF is 0-12...

BC had Matt Ryan and then 20 years before that, Doug Flutie...maybe in another 20 years they will again win games with a good QB.

Reaction Score
WTOP Sports‏Verified account @WTOPSports
Big Ten announces new TV deals with FOX, ESPN and CBS Big Ten announces new TV deals with FOX, ESPN and CBS

GREG SW AIM SHOW‏ @GSw aim Jul 24
GREG SW AIM SHOW Retweeted WTOP Sports

Oklahoma and Kansas ears perk up!!

GREG SW AIM SHOW‏ @GSw aim Jul 24
#Sooners, #KU to #B1G, #OKState, #TexasTech, #KState, #ISU to #Pac12, #WVU into #ACC or #SEC. #UT goes indy, and private schools sweat.

Doug "Bear" Hazard‏ @BearlyDoug
Doug "Bear" Hazard Retweeted GREG SW AIM SHOW

My big fat old ass would find a way to do backflips if WVU came to the SEC.

GREG SW AIM SHOW‏ @GSw aim Jul 25
GREG SW AIM SHOW Retweeted Doug "Bear" Hazard

I'd really like the #Big12 to stay together, expand and get their own network, but that ship has sailed...over a cliff.

BoomerBeat ‏ @kappa419
Replying to @GSw aim
No way OK legislature let's state schools break up.

GREG SW AIM SHOW‏ @GSw aim 18h18 hours ago
GREG SW AIM SHOW Retweeted BoomerBeat

Boren working on getting OU as an AAU accredited member to get into #B1G. OSU won't be able to, KU already is.

Bryan Fischer‏Verified account @BryanDFischer
Larry Scott notes that Pac-12 owning all of their content allows them to be “nimble” when it comes to future endeavors.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 7h7 hours ago
Greg Flugaur Retweeted Bryan Fischer

https://mobile.twitter.com/BryanDFischer/status/890248207208525825 … This is true. Hopefully PAC can take advantage.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 3h3 hours ago
Woah... BTM has just sent me current Big Ten perception on expansion landscape. Stand by...

BTM
Big Ten perception:
Presidential Succession at University of Oklahoma resulting in Joe Castiglione as new President looking more likely

BTM
Joe Castiglione is Pro-Big Ten. OU Placing Castiglione as President is placing OU in Big Ten. OU has heavy B10 support.

BTM
Active B10 advocates for OU receiving invite in 2022/23
WI President, Alvarez
Ohio State, Nebraska AD's Smith & Eichorst
MSU AD Hollis.

Obvious take on BTM's info this morning..

Joe Castiglione is the canary-in-coal mine internally at University of Oklahoma.

Redhawk Land Service‏ @RedhawkLand 1h1 hour ago
Joe Castiglione has done a brilliant job as AD but he's not going to be OU President. It will be a be career administrator or politician

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 35m35 minutes ago
Replying to @RedhawkLand
Traditionally,this would be correct.Could be correct in regards to Boren's replacement. Big Ten perception is Boren is lining it up for Joe.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 34m34 minutes ago
Replying to @flugempire @RedhawkLand
If Boren is successful it indicates OU to B10.

If OU ends up in SEC, PAC or B12 it means OU said no to B10.

Not other way around.
Truth.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Woah... BTM has just sent me current Big Ten perception on expansion landscape. Stand by...

BTM
Big Ten perception:
Presidential Succession at University of Oklahoma resulting in Joe Castiglione as new President looking more likely

BTM
Joe Castiglione is Pro-Big Ten. OU Placing Castiglione as President is placing OU in Big Ten. OU has heavy B10 support.

BTM
Active B10 advocates for OU receiving invite in 2022/23
WI President, Alvarez
Ohio State, Nebraska AD's Smith & Eichorst
MSU AD Hollis.

Obvious take on BTM's info this morning..

Joe Castiglione is the canary-in-coal mine internally at University of Oklahoma.

Redhawk Land Service‏ @RedhawkLand 1h1 hour ago
Joe Castiglione has done a brilliant job as AD but he's not going to be OU President. It will be a be career administrator or politician

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 35m35 minutes ago
Replying to @RedhawkLand
Traditionally,this would be correct.Could be correct in regards to Boren's replacement. Big Ten perception is Boren is lining it up for Joe.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 34m34 minutes ago
Replying to @flugempire @RedhawkLand
If Boren is successful it indicates OU to B10.

If OU ends up in SEC, PAC or B12 it means OU said no to B10.

Not other way around.
Truth.

Setting aside the fact that it's a Flugar tweet, I'm not buying that Oklahoma is going to place their AD in the presidents spot just so they can get into the Big10. How would that look better to the Big10? Wouldn't a current Big10 provost look better?

Reaction Score
Setting aside the fact that it's a Flugar tweet, I'm not buying that Oklahoma is going to place their AD in the presidents spot just so they can get into the Big10. How would that look better to the Big10? Wouldn't a current Big10 provost look better?

It doesn't make much sense even for a nonsense BTM Post. For example, in what universe does OU say no to a B1G Invite unless it comes with an absurd amount of strings attached? OU has been working for decades to be viewed on the same level academically with the schools in The B1G but suddenly membership in that group would be rejected by its leadership? Seem legit. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
If the B1G takes Oklahoma, would expect Kansas to go along as their partner creating a stranglehold on the Midwest from MN down to the TX border.

Reaction Score
OU putting their AD in as President screams "football factory." Watch that B1G "support" disappear if they do something like that.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And BC was being recruited prior to the 2003 season. as well..LOL

But, it is about the QB in football. Surrounding cast is nice to have...but you have to have a QB.

For instance, UCF won 12 games with future NFL'r Bortles at QB...he left for the 2014 draft and by 2015, UCF is 0-12...

BC had Matt Ryan and then 20 years before that, Doug Flutie...maybe in another 20 years they will again win games with a good QB.

They won with Glen Foley too. Played a bit, mostly Jets I think.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Didn't seem to hurt Wisconsin & Barry Alvarez

Wisconsin is already a very highly rated AAU school and a founding member of the Big10. They don't need to prove anything to the Big10. They are usually rated 3rd academically behind Northwestern and Michigan. They are anything but a football factory. Oklahoma is trying to improve their image and prestige as an academic institution. Hiring their AD as president doesn't do much to change the football factory perception.

The only way I can see this as a remote possibility is if he is there during the transition to the Big10 (if they get invited). He is highly respected within the Sooner community and highly thought of as an athletic administrator (Michigan inquired about hiring him before Warde Manuel was hired). That being said, I just don't see it.

Reaction Score
Didn't seem to hurt Wisconsin & Barry Alvarez

Alvarez isn't the University of Wisconsin President. He went from coach to AD, which is hardly unprecedented. Wisconsin's current President has a Ph.D from MIT, taught at Princeton and MIT and was a Dean at Michigan before leaving to become US Secretary of Commerce. A bit more impressive credentials for the job than being an AD.

Reaction Score
Wisconsin is already a very highly rated AAU school and a founding member of the Big10. They don't need to prove anything to the Big10. They are usually rated 3rd academically behind Northwestern and Michigan. They are anything but a football factory. Oklahoma is trying to improve their image and prestige as an academic institution. Hiring their AD as president doesn't do much to change the football factory perception.

The only way I can see this as a remote possibility is if he is there during the transition to the Big10 (if they get invited). He is highly respected within the Sooner community and highly thought of as an athletic administrator (Michigan inquired about hiring him before Warde Manuel was hired). That being said, I just don't see it.

In most rankings, you're right about Wisconsin. I did find it interesting though that Ohio State is now the third hardest Big Ten school to get into after Northwestern & Michigan. Here's a good ranking system that uses some of the broad AAU metrics. Publics & Privates together are on pg 14 while Publics compared only to other publics are on pg 20. Ten schools rank in the top 25 in all 9 metrics, though if you break things down a bit Michigan and UCLA are the only two who rank in the top 10 in all 9.

https://mup.asu.edu/sites/default/f...rican-research-universities-annual-report.pdf

dayooper

Reaction Score
Wisconsin is past peak.

Hmmmmm . . . Not so sure on that.

Football - Wisconsin is averaging over 10 wins a season over new coach Paul Chryst first two years (21-6). Gary Anderson was 19-7 and Brett Beliema was 68-24 over their tenures. They all have kept up what Alvarez started (they were never a top tier program, but very competitive).

Basketball - Wisconsin has made the NCAA tournement every year since 1999, been in the sweet sixteen since 2014 (also 2012, 2011 and 2008), final four in 2014 and 2015 and the runner up in 2015.

Academically, they are a top public school.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom