Non-Key Tweets | Page 647 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
HuskyHawk, can you please provide where you read , "Fox has reportedly requested UConn and/or Florida schools and does not want Memphis or Houston."

I read a lot of the articles, however, I have never seen something specific as your statement on Fox requesting us.

You're right, but watch how that's now repeated as fact for the next 2 months.

Reaction Score
So ESPN doesn't want to lose it's profitable AAC content, but if Cincy leaves that not only affects AAC value, it may drive UConn into some arrangement with Big East (FOX) that would further diminish the profitability of the AAC. Hard to believe ESPN doesn't have some preference beyond "none of the above"

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
HuskyHawk, can you please provide where you read , "Fox has reportedly requested UConn and/or Florida schools and does not want Memphis or Houston."

I read a lot of the articles, however, I have never seen something specific as your statement on Fox requesting us.

I said it came from multiple tweeters. I don't know, and you don't know, and none of the media people know. But the narrative repeated by several people on twitter and in various boards was essentially that ESPN doesn't want any expansion, because they own all these properties now (BYU, AAC). They pay less for them now than they would in the Big 12, and in the Big 12, they split the rights with Fox.

Fox, on the other hand, can get new properties, and essentially pay half. Given it's current weakness on the east coast (because ESPN/ABC has ACC and most of SEC with CBS), Fox is pro expansion and wants eastern schools. Reportedly they specifically wanted UConn and/or the Florida schools. They also had little to no interest in Houston or Memphis.

Is it true? I don't know. But it passes the rational basis test. It is not illogical, and in fact makes sense. Unlike ESPN, which is established and is trying to hold on, Fox is trying to make FS1 a real competitor to ESPN, to make it something in every basic cable package. That's part of why the overpaid for the Big Ten, and it would explain their desire to move into big eastern markets.

Reaction Score
So ESPN doesn't want to lose it's profitable AAC content, but if Cincy leaves that not only affects AAC value, it may drive UConn into some arrangement with Big East (FOX) that would further diminish the profitability of the AAC. Hard to believe ESPN doesn't have some preference beyond "none of the above"

If you're ESPN you can probably accept losing Cincy and one Florida school. You still keep the AAC alive (barely) with a NE presence and a FL presence. Of course they have a preference. So for now 2 teams works great for them and the longer this drags on the further away you get from the original research presentations which no doubt had us high on the list. Will Big 12 sacrifice this opportunity to "please" ESPN? Fools if they do.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If you're ESPN you can probably accept losing Cincy and one Florida school. You still keep the AAC alive (barely) with a NE presence and a FL presence. Of course they have a preference. So for now 2 teams works great for them and the longer this drags on the further away you get from the original research presentations which no doubt had us high on the list. Will Big 12 sacrifice this opportunity to "please" ESPN? Fools if they do.

This what I don't understand. If ESPN is dropping the BIG XII on their priority list, they are out anyway come 2024, and they are contractually obligated to honor the expansion clause in the media contract, what does the BIG XII care what ESPN's prefers? Take their money, focus on the relationship with FOX, grow their brand in order to hold on to Oklahoma and Texas, and tell ESPN to go sucks on a tail pipe.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This what I don't understand. If ESPN is dropping the BIG XII on their priority list, they are out anyway come 2024, and they are contractually obligated to honor the expansion clause in the media contract, what does the BIG XII care what ESPN's prefers? Take their money focus on the relationship with FOX, grow their brand in order to hold on to Oklahoma and Texas, and tell ESPN to go sucks on a tail pipe.

I think many of us are hoping that that is exactly what is happening. If so, UConn should be in good shape.

Reaction Score
This what I don't understand. If ESPN is dropping the BIG XII on their priority list, they are out anyway come 2024, and they are contractually obligated to honor the expansion clause in the media contract, what does the BIG XII care what ESPN's prefers? Take their money, focus on the relationship with FOX, grow their brand in order to hold on to Oklahoma and Texas, and tell ESPN to go sucks on a tail pipe.
That's actually a strategic position,but what has the Big 12 ever done to indicate they have a strategy.
They come off as petty dictatorship , were the only rule of law is extortion, bribery,or at best cronyism.

Reaction Score
I have read that Fox is looking for Eastern content, so HuskyHawk is right about that.

ESPN is really only concerned about losing Husky hoops, men and women. It becomes really difficult however for UConn to play this card since you can't really signal to Fox that you have interest in moving hoops to the Big East. Then Fox has a disincentive to add you to the B12.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
So everybody wants us, but no one wants to pay for us because they all ready have us for cheap. Its been time to go "good old boy" on that and start talking out of both sides of our mouth. I was told this a long time ago by a wise man ..... you don't lie to your boys, you lie to girls. "Its huge, it don't smell down there, it aint got pimples on it or nothin". Time to be telling these girls anything and everything they want to hear. Lie, cheat and steal if ya gotta.

Reaction Score
I have read that Fox is looking for Eastern content, so HuskyHawk is right about that.

ESPN is really only concerned about losing Husky hoops, men and women. It becomes really difficult however for UConn to play this card since you can't really signal to Fox that you have interest in moving hoops to the Big East. Then Fox has a disincentive to add you to the B12.
In conversation with ESPN you point out the Big East option or imply something simalar.
That UConn although we love our relationship with you we have to pursue a solution that ensures our future success. We would very much like them to be a partner in that success of they should choose to.
With Fox you simply hammer the potential for future NE growth especially of thier B12 content. Big time football in the Big Apple
Think of all the players as independent with thier own motivations. Our potential future with each is very different.
Therefore you have a different strategy or emphsis with each. One strategy seldom fits all.

Reaction Score
In conversation with ESPN you point out the Big East option or imply something simalar.
That UConn although we love our relationship with you we have to pursue a solution that ensures our future success. We would very much like them to be a partner in that success of they should choose to.
With Fox you simply hammer the potential for future NE growth especially of thier B12 content. Big time football in the Big Apple
Think of all the players as independent with thier own motivations. Our potential future with each is very different.
Therefore you have a different strategy or emphsis with each. One strategy seldom fits all.

The problem with Fox though is that they'd be like, Hell Yes, keep football in the AAC and come with us for everything else!

Reaction Score
Your man Muntz gave an accurate assessment IMO of internet journalism (such as it is) when he wrote "All these reporters are just mouthpieces for their benefactors' agendas." Basically that means they are simply propagandists who will not bite the hand that feeds them. The marked influence of ESPN is also clear from the Big 12 history lesson originally posted by someone else:

The oral history of the birth of the Big 12

In particular, there is this quote:

Chuck Neinas, Big Eight commissioner from 1971–80, executive director of the CFA [now defunct College Football Association] from 1980–97: ESPN did not want all the members. They wanted
eight from the Big Eight and they'd take four from the Southwest Conference
[SWC]. Obviously, the two they wanted most were Texas and Texas A&M. I received a call from Loren Matthews, who was a key executive with ESPN with whom I had developed a good relationship. And Loren told me, he said, "Here's my problem. We want the Big Eight, but we don't want all of the Southwest Conference." I said, "Well, just let me make some phone calls, and I'm sure they'll get back to you." So I called DeLoss Dodds at Texas, Donnie Duncan at Oklahoma and Bill Byrne at Nebraska, and the rest is history.

(Originally, the two conferences were talking about a 16 team merger of the old SWC with the Big 8 but ultimately 4 SWC schools were left behind. ) If I ran the Big 12, I would worry more about survival and less about what ESPN thought, and as long as Texas and OU can keep it running, there will be no huge breakup.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Your man Muntz gave an accurate assessment IMO of internet journalism (such as it is) when he wrote "All these reporters are just mouthpieces for their benefactors' agendas."

That is true, but it's also important to always remember that the "benefactor" is the reader/subscriber/target audience and not the hometown university.

A sportswriter may have some connections and insight, but the drum beating and pot stirring they employ to rouse the yokels is only a caricature of the university's motivations.

Reaction Score
Team Site Expansion preference Votes to invite
Our Daily Bears (Baylor) Stay at 10 BYU, Cincinnati
Wide Right & Natty Lite (Iowa State) Stay at 10, or go to 12 Arizona, Arizona State
Rock Chalk Talk (Kansas) Stay at 10 Connecticut, Memphis
Bring on the Cats (Kansas State) 14 teams BYU, Cincinnati
Crimson and Cream Machine (Oklahoma) 14 teams Houston, Cincinnati
Cowboys Ride for Free (Oklahoma State) 12 teams East Carolina, Memphis
Frogs O' War (TCU) 12 teams Connecticut, Cincinnati
Burnt Orange Nation (Texas) 14 teams Houston, Cincinnati
Viva The Matadors (Texas Tech) Stay at 10 BYU, Cincinnati
The Smoking Musket (West Virginia) 14 teams BYU, Cincinnati

If our Big 12 blogs were in charge, here's how expansion would go

Reaction Score
Wide Right & Natty Lite (Iowa State) Stay at 10, or go to 12 Arizona, Arizona State

Holy crap Iowa State has the best blog name ever.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

Lol Oklahoma State wants to drop a nuke on their conference.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I gain new respect for TCU as the only one who gets it right.
I sense a theme with K-State "Bring on the Cats" voting to add Cougars and Bearcats (I assume Memphis Tigers are next in line).
Iowa State, the northernmost school votes for Arizona schools? WTF.

Reaction Score
From the so-called insider, MSMoose, on the Cincy 247 board:
  • Big 12 Commissioners in conjunction with Big 12 Media providers have formally offered and recommended to the Big 12 Board of Directors Cincinnati and BYU as candidates 11 and 12. I am told (4) candidates were offered as candidates 13 and 14, with NO specifically desired two candidates.

Big 12 Presidents will review presentations, and a Conference call is being scheduled for further deliberations on 13 and 14.

Expectation is no two candidates qualify as 13 and 14, at this time. However, compromise of Big 12 requirements will be proposed by one or two current Big 12 members.

Stay tuned! At least I don't have to ask who #12 is anymore!

Now this Moose is saying BYU is out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom