Non-Key Tweets | Page 573 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Not sure if this is posted somewhere else but it uses "objective" criteria to look at the candidates.

Ranking 8 candidates for Big 12 expansion by what the conference says it wants

IMHO the bottom line is when metrics are applied objectively, UConn is a very, very strong candidate. In order to "disqualify" UConn, posters and haters need to change the narrative to justify their conclusions. (see the comments on the above article.)

If there is one positive to this painful process it is UConn's objective value is finally being recognized. The old argument that "if UConn had value the ACC would have taken them" is not supported by the metrics. It also assumes the ACC expanded purely on "value" whereas all UConn fans know there were a compilation of personality and power struggles which lead to not entirely value based ACC decisions.

If the Big12 goes to 14 its seems difficult to justify not taking UConn. UConn is likely in the top 2 and is certainly in the top 4 in almost every category. UConn is the top academic school, most decorated overall athletic program (BYU has an argument as well), the solitary state flagship of the likely candidates, and probably has the most potential room for growth (at least in football.)

It is truly amazing to watch the pundits try to contort the data to justify their teams. The "total value of the program is football with 75% based on the football record last year" just seems ridiculous. Couple that with the "UConn is too far away" but Utah and Florida are commuter distance and "no one cares about about college sports in Connecticut" and we have a trifecta of the ridiculous.

At the end of the day UConn may not be the perfect fit for the Big12 but we are arguably the top available brand and we are a program which will get looks from the ACC and BIG if they ever expand. No, I am not saying the BIG or ACC is taking UConn now but instead the market drives the value of the program. UConn is arguably the most market demanded G5 team so the Big12 would be making a financial mistake to not grab "the best player at the position" even if it is not the perfect position.

UConn just needs the Big12 expansion evaluation criteria to stay objective and defined. If that happens UConn will be invited if B12 expansion occurs. B12 emotions and politics should be UConn's biggest fears. There is a reason all the B12 sports writers suddenly changing their tunes once metrics came out....UConn is a much better program than its outside of Connecticut public perception.
Really surprised BYU endowment is that low. What with all their talk about how they have a massive alumni base all over the world.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Worth noting that so far, everything Flug has said has pretty much been consistent with what has happened. "Horse trading" as he's been putting it.

Also pretty sure he started saying UH/BYU/UC/UConn before a lot of the writers did.

Yeah, Flug appears to be legit. Let's hope so.

Reaction Score
7 things I know – for sure – about Big 12 expansion

Not sure if this has been posted but at least I didn't make a new thread.

I was listening to Sirius this morning(not sure of it was a re-run)) with Braden Gall.
He thinks it should be Memphis,BYU, Cinci and Houston. He was actually good about Uconn and said he hopes we get into the ACC where we belong.

He had on Chad Scott from Gridiron now who was actually very good. He said people have it all wrong and that the biggest criteria is academics. Reiterated that the Presidents make these decision( I know I know Louisville). He recognized BYU and UConns academics as being much better than the others with Cinci being good also.

When asked who he thought would be invited he said Uconn ,Cinci(seemed like he was most sure about them) Houston and said BYU has a big problem with the other Presidents. The Mormon faith is a big issue and was not convinced they will get voted in. Said they would have been in the PAC 40 years already if not for their religion(Something to that affect).

Not sure he offered another school aside from BYU. He was pretty dismissive of Memphis, Boise and the Florida schools because of academic standards and history.

The article pasted is just something I found this morning and not the Sirius conversation.

Reaction Score
7 things I know – for sure – about Big 12 expansion

Not sure if this has been posted but at least I didn't make a new thread.

I was listening to Sirius this morning(not sure of it was a re-run)) with Braden Gall.
He thinks it should be Memphis,BYU, Cinci and Houston. He was actually good about Uconn and said he hopes we get into the ACC where we belong.

He had on Chad Scott from Gridiron now who was actually very good. He said people have it all wrong and that the biggest criteria is academics. Reiterated that the Presidents make these decision( I know I know Louisville). He recognized BYU and UConns academics as being much better than the others with Cinci being good also.

When asked who he thought would be invited he said Uconn ,Cinci(seemed like he was most sure about them) Houston and said BYU has a big problem with the other Presidents. The Mormon faith is a big issue and was not convinced they will get voted in. Said they would have been in the PAC 40 years already if not for their religion(Something to that affect).

Not sure he offered another school aside from BYU. He was pretty dismissive of Memphis, Boise and the Florida schools because of academic standards and history.

The article pasted is just something I found this morning and not the Sirius conversation.
If he's dismissive of Memphis then why does he think Memphis should be invited?

Reaction Score
From a Big 12 board thread on CR....TV ratings in millions watching

Going back and adding up rating from the past three years 2013, 2014, and 2015 (including conference championship and bowl games) yields the following:

Navy = 41M
Boise = 39M
BYU = 39M
UCF = 31M
Houston = 25M
Army = 23M
Cincy= 22M
Northern Ill = 21M
East Carolina = 21M
Temple = 21M
UConn = 20M
Fresno = 19M
San Diego St = 14M
Memphis = 14M
USF = 13M
SMU = 13M
Tulsa = 12M

Tulane = 5M

Reaction Score

Going back and adding up rating from the past three years 2013, 2014, and 2015 (including conference championship and bowl games) yields the following:

Navy = 41M
Boise = 39M
BYU = 39M
UCF = 31M
Houston = 25M
Army = 23M
Cincy= 22M
Northern Ill = 21M
East Carolina = 21M
Temple = 21M
UConn = 20M
Fresno = 19M
San Diego St = 14M
Memphis = 14M
USF = 13M
SMU = 13M
Tulsa = 12M

Tulane = 5M

One thing to note on those numbers, that was a bad stretch for us and yet we are right there with likes of Houston and UCF, who are coming off their top years. One to chew on.

Reaction Score
The author notes that Army is high because of the Army-Navy game annually.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 7h7 hours ago
One more thing - I know this will be controversial & @NebGradDubDub will deny it.

But UT & OU know that both Nebraska & Colorado regret leaving. They would come back if they could.

Nobody has slammed me for my Neb comment yet.

jessicalarson ‏@sooner2016 6h6 hours ago
@theDudeofWV like hell they would. Nebraska is set to make $60M in payout in 2018 - per quote from Navigate Research

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 6h6 hours ago
@sooner2016 That's not accurate. $34m from ESPN/Fox + 8M for BTN = $42m.

Hawkeye ‏@hawkeyeND 3h3 hours ago
@theDudeofWV @sooner2016 you forgot about NCAA playoff payout, bowl payout, and college basketball payout. Those combined another $15M min

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 2h2 hours ago
@hawkeyeND @sooner2016 All P5 conf get those too. So they are not discriminating factors.

Frank the Tank ‏@frankthetank111 2h2 hours ago
Frank the Tank Retweeted Christopher Lambert

Absolutely asinine. The actual people that matter at NU and CU are glad they got out soon enough.

@frankthetank111 The truth is that Neb didn't leave the Big 12 to join the B1G for academics. It left because of Texas.

Flintdawg ‏@Odharris1 2h2 hours ago
@theDudeofWV @frankthetank111 so why go back TX is still there?

Shawn Watson ‏@shawnwatson1985 2h2 hours ago
@theDudeofWV @frankthetank111 are you arguing with yourself?

Turner Kucera ‏@Turner_Kucera17 2h2 hours ago
@theDudeofWV @frankthetank111 lol not just because of Texas, stability and money!

Alum-Ni ‏@Alum_Ni 1h1 hour ago
@theDudeofWV @frankthetank111 Nebraska left because the B12 nearly died.....and it still might. Every year there is turmoil in that league

@frankthetank111 The truth is that TV revenue is only a small part of a schools budget.

Alum-Ni ‏@Alum_Ni 1h1 hour ago
@theDudeofWV @frankthetank111 it's actually a very very large part of an athletics budget

Andrew Wamugi ‏@AndrewWamugi 2h2 hours agoSan Francisco, CA
@frankthetank111 @theDudeofWV Nebraska is set to make way more than they ever could in Big 12 and is surrounded by academic prestige

@AndrewWamugi @frankthetank111 Surrounded is the right choice of words.

@AndrewWamugi @frankthetank111 And history proves that if you are a cultural outlier in a conf your program suffers.

@AndrewWamugi @frankthetank111 The B1G thinks of Neb what the ACC does of FSU & Clemson.

Tom ‏@TommyNole 1h1 hour ago
@theDudeofWV @AndrewWamugi @frankthetank111 FSU is the football juggernaut of the ACC. Go Noles! Go ACC! Good riddance b12!

Dan Schwarzlander ‏@dschwarzlander 6h6 hours ago
@theDudeofWV never coming back. Sorry.

Christopher Lambert‏@theDudeofWV
@dschwarzlander Can't. GoR but they secretly want to...

Frank the Tank ‏@frankthetank111 2h2 hours ago
Frank the Tank Retweeted Christopher Lambert

Stop it. Big Ten and Pac-12 are simply better academically, demographically & financially than Big 12. Not a debate.

@frankthetank111 Plus the Big 12 has treated WVU more fairly & with more respect than the B1G has treated Nebraska.

@theDudeofWV @frankthetank111 how has the B1G disrespected Nebraska?

@Odharris1 @frankthetank111 The revenue schedule and the flack over AAU status.

@theDudeofWV @frankthetank111 they must buy into a network that those schools created. why should you come in the door getting a full share

@theDudeofWV @frankthetank111 why not set standards for academics amongst your peer institutions?

Alum-Ni ‏@Alum_Ni 2h2 hours ago
@theDudeofWV @frankthetank111 ummmm the B1G is treating Neb fair. Do u even know what you're talking about? Apparently not

@frankthetank111 @dschwarzlander Who cares about academics when the football is in the air.

@frankthetank111 @dschwarzlander Big 12 football is better from top to bottom.

@frankthetank111 You know that for a fact? As Neb is about to see their sell out streak end.

@frankthetank111 The truth is that Neb didn't leave the Big 12 to join the B1G for academics. It left because of Texas.

@frankthetank111 So let's not get high and mighty about B1G academics & money.

@frankthetank111 As a matter of fact schools like OU & UT have actually helped WVU improve & with research projects.

I expected flame from B1G people. So I won't respond anymore.

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@ThedudeofWV It's pure insanity to believe Neb would ever want to go back to B12 Slice of BTN ownership CIC Large Bandwith Athletic sports

Aaron Musfeldt ‏@Aaron_Musfeldt 26m26 minutes ago
@flugempire @theDudeofWV There is a segment of the fan base that would love the Big8, but they also know that those days are gone.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 20m20 minutes ago
@Aaron_Musfeldt Be more proud of the Neb program than the B1G.

ME: Hahahahahahahahaha! :D

Reaction Score
Why does USF football get a pass in this? We both came up around the same time and have had very similar arcs:

USF
2001 indy 8-3
2002 indy 9-2
2003 CUSA 4-7
2004 CUSA 7-4
2005 Big East 6-6
2006 Big East 9-4
2007 Big East 9-4
2008 Big East 8-5
2009 Big East 8-5
2010 Big East 8-5
2011 Big East 5-7
2012 Big East 3-9
2013 AAC 2-10
2014 AAC 4-8
2015 AAC 8-5

UConn
2001 indy 2-9
2002 indy 6-6
2003 indy 9-3
2004 Big East 8-4
2005 Big East 5-6
2006 Big East 4-8
2007 Big East 9-4
2008 Big East 8-5
2009 Big East 8-5
2010 Big East 8-5
2011 Big East 5-7
2012 Big East 5-7
2013 AAC 3-9
2014 AAC 2-10
2015 AAC 6-7

Reaction Score
So Nebraska's football program has struggled more since they got into the Big Ten, and they regret this because they need to get back into a 'better conference from top to bottom' so that they can...win more games than they are now?

Sure thing, Chris.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
One thing to note on those numbers, that was a bad stretch for us and yet we are right there with likes of Houston and UCF, who are coming off their top years. One to chew on.

For every one of those teams it's strictly a function of what network they were on.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Dude is about the worst troll in the world.

Say something dumb about Nebraska. Nobody reacts. WHY ISN'T anyone reacting to my ridiculous stance on Nebraska. Blah blah blah. I'm done responding on Nebraska I knew it would be unpopular.

He now knows the secrets of 'Nebraska'. Because a University is a sentient being which not only has secrets, a guy in West Virginia can tease them out.

Time Life probably has a whole series of books coming on this.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Navy = 41M
Boise = 39M
BYU = 39M
UCF = 31M
Houston = 25M
Army = 23M
Cincy= 22M
Northern Ill = 21M
East Carolina = 21M
Temple = 21M
UConn = 20M
Fresno = 19M
San Diego St = 14M
Memphis = 14M
USF = 13M
SMU = 13M
Tulsa = 12M

Tulane = 5M

Very simple explanation: Navy/Boise/BYU/UCF/UH have been good in 2013-15. Hence, more games on more visible networks (ESPN, ESPN2, etc). Adding up TV sets is not fair unless you add them up in an apples-to-apples manner. Case in point - look at the 3 games UConn played on ESPN/ESPN2 in 2015. All 3 match or are higher than the majority of G5 ratings on the same channels.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Very simple explanation: Navy/Boise/BYU/UCF/UH have been good in 2013-15. Hence, more games on more visible networks (ESPN, ESPN2, etc). Adding up TV sets is not fair unless you add them up in an apples-to-apples manner. Case in point - look at the 3 games UConn played on ESPN/ESPN2 in 2015. All 3 match or are higher than the majority of G5 ratings on the same channels.

Both the MWC and AAC have games on CBSN. Which isn't even rated.

The AAC has a ton of games that are on ESPNU and ESPN News.... they get 100k for their best matchups.

I am curious is any media consultants have ever done a real analysis - it would be a ton of work and it would never be perfect. You have to correct for a dozen variables - including what is on every other station during each one of the games.

If the Boneyard can offer internship credit we'd need 3 kids for the summer majoring in math/actuarial sciences to get the right answer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom