Non-Key Tweets | Page 549 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Joshua Lovern ‏@joshualovern87 3h3 hours ago
@MH ver3 Cali Ore and WA schools are on par with big 10 school academically.

Well... except for Wazzou. They kind of sneak in in a crowd of their academic betters and hope nobody notices.

They're one of about 40 P5 schools that have no business being a P5 school and wouldn't meet any criteria to become a P5 school if they were a G5 school now.

And yet a lot of people want to pick nits about certain G5 schools aspiring to be P5 schools.

Reaction Score
Well... except for Wazzou. They kind of sneak in in a crowd of their academic betters and hope nobody notices.

They're one of about 40 P5 schools that have no business being a P5 school and wouldn't meet any criteria to become a P5 school if they were a G5 school now.

And yet a lot of people want to pick nits about certain G5 schools aspiring to be P5 schools.

Not Oregon. No.

Cali, Stanford, UW, UCLA, USC yes. The Arizonas, Wash St., Utah, Colorado, Oregons, are all more like Nebraska or worse. Otherthan Nebraska, every B12 public would be better than the Pac12s outside the top 5.

My ranking would be:

1. Stanford
2. Cal-Berkeley
3. Michigan
4. UCLA
5. Northwestern
--------------------
6. Washington
7. Penn State
8. Illinois
9. Ohio St.
10. USC
11. Rutgers
12. Wisconsin
13. Minnesota
--------------------
14. Michigan St.
15. Maryland
16. Iowa
17. Indiana
18. Purdue
--------------------
19. Colorado
20. Arizona
21A. Utah
21B. Nebraska
23. Oregon
24. Arizona St.
25. Oregon St.
26. Washington St.

The funny thing is that when I made this list from memory, the only school I forgot to include was Rutgers.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You don't need inside contacts to understand the Pac 12 network is worthless.

They have been trying to drum up capital and nobody is interested.

As for the alternative Big 12 streaming network it can't be done until the current TV contracts run out - ESPN and Fox can't go over the top on the cable providers due to their carriage contacts. Comcast isn't paying $8 a month per sub so they can be backdoored by ESPN streaming the same games direct to people who don't have cable subs.

It maybe worthless...but it is concievable the PAC 12 bleeds teams in the years ahead? I find that hard to believe, no matter the revenue story. The PAC 12 is just the canary in the coal mine for the tiny B12 footprint 10 years from now as tv viewing/cord cutting spreads.

As for streaming, it will either require a local cable package to access or perhaps they have a premium tier will you pay a super premium price which covers a kick back to the cable company for their lost share of the revenue stream.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

As for the alternative Big 12 streaming network it can't be done until the current TV contracts run out - ESPN and Fox can't go over the top on the cable providers due to their carriage contacts. Comcast isn't paying $8 a month per sub so they can be backdoored by ESPN streaming the same games direct to people who don't have cable subs.

You keep adding qualifiers to justify your position that seem reasonable, but are really pretty stupid. The Big 12N doesn't need a separate streaming option, yet. But once a network is set up, it will not be hard to switch it over to streaming.

10 years from now technology will have advanced enough that you won't even need ISP's. Wireless services will provide streaming to the home. Depending on broadcast channels for revenue is just flat out stupid.
The leagues and schools that own their content will win, and everyone else will lose. The Pac 12 Network will eventually be very successful for the league, as will every other school and conference network. Or, we could keep fighting for real estate on ESPN Ocho, because that makes sense.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

All it takes really, is living in California for awhile. The place is so populated, that yes, there are enough fans to fill stadiums for Stanford, Cal, USC and UCLA. But on the whole, outside of alumni, nobody there gives a rats ass about college sports. The volume of immigrants from both Latin America and Asia simply ensures that that's the case.

But I doubt that it is at risk of being raided really, because nobody in the central time zone (or eastern) likes playing west coast games on a regular basis. If the Big XII shored itself up, I could see them getting Colorado back, and Utah. The Arizonas are very iffy.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
All it takes really, is living in California for awhile. The place is so populated, that yes, there are enough fans to fill stadiums for Stanford, Cal, USC and UCLA. But on the whole, outside of alumni, nobody there gives a rats ass about college sports. The volume of immigrants from both Latin America and Asia simply ensures that that's the case.

But I doubt that it is at risk of being raided really, because nobody in the central time zone (or eastern) likes playing west coast games on a regular basis. If the Big XII shored itself up, I could see them getting Colorado back, and Utah. The Arizonas are very iffy.

I didn't comment on any of them leaving - just that the Network is stillborn.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There will never in a million years be a better revenue machine for college conferences than what has been in place the last decade.

Through the dominance of ESPN and the cable bundle there has been a $100 tax a year on the 80%+ of households that don't watch college sports.

The Pac 12 Network is dead - if it's such a winner Waylon why can't they find anyone to invest - when they are in the investment cradle of the world.

The OTA model was abandoned because it wasn't as lucrative as cable - note they are moving back to
OTA - so this whole direct streaming concept isn't exactly ready for prime time.

The SEC and Big Ten networks are built on the same concept as ESPN, they have the same risks and have enjoyed the same advantages that the networks have.

If you think you are going to stream games directly to peoples homes on a subscription basis and generate the kind of revenue these leagues have been making... I'm sorry but that is absurd. Nobody is going to have demand at the required price points to even make that plausible.

For example for the Big 12 to collect the $23 million each a year through a streaming apparatus - would need probably 1.75 million subs at $200 a year. Good luck with that.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There will never in a million years be a better revenue machine for college conferences than what has been in place the last decade.

Through the dominance of ESPN and the cable bundle there has been a $100 tax a year on the 80%+ of households that don't watch college sports.

The Pac 12 Network is dead - if it's such a winner Waylon why can't they find anyone to invest - when they are in the investment cradle of the world.

The OTA model was abandoned because it wasn't as lucrative as cable - note they are moving back to
OTA - so this whole direct streaming concept isn't exactly ready for prime time.

The SEC and Big Ten networks are built on the same concept as ESPN, they have the same risks and have enjoyed the same advantages that the networks have.

If you think you are going to stream games directly to peoples homes on a subscription basis and generate the kind of revenue these leagues have been making... I'm sorry but that is absurd. Nobody is going to have demand at the required price points to even make that plausible.

For example for the Big 12 to collect the $23 million each a year through a streaming apparatus - would need probably 1.75 million subs at $200 a year. Good luck with that.

Cable is dead. Long live cable!!!! I can't tell if you are arguing that we should be committing to ESPN long-term or not, and I suspect that confusion is deliberate so you can have it both ways. You are "the Dude" of the Boneyard.

No s%$# the forced subscriber model generated a lot of revenue, and it is going away. Do you see the P5 leagues saying "well, that was fun", and giving up? Selling music generates about half the revenue it did 20 years ago. I guess that must mean no one will ever try to make music again? Oh wait, the industry has become even more fragmented and the barriers to entry have gotten smaller, enabling a lot of new entrants outside of the old studio model.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Cable is dead. Long live cable!!!! I can't tell if you are arguing that we should be committing to ESPN long-term or not, and I suspect that confusion is deliberate so you can have it both ways. You are "the Dude" of the Boneyard.

No s%$# the forced subscriber model generated a lot of revenue, and it is going away. Do you see the P5 leagues saying "well, that was fun", and giving up? Selling music generates about half the revenue it did 20 years ago. I guess that must mean no one will ever try to make music again? Oh wait, the industry has become even more fragmented and the barriers to entry have gotten smaller, enabling a lot of new entrants outside of the old studio model.

I can't tell you what the American and UConn should do until the time comes when decisions can be made. There aren't any decisions to make today.

Who cares if the barriers to entry are low - if you can't generate more net revenue than you do today what is the point? I'm glad you figured out that the music industry is the perfect example of what I'm talking - and you'll probably note that outside of a few examples everyone is a lot worse off - which is exactly where the NCAA is going - some like CUSA are going to get there faster than the Big Ten - but there isn't going to be a better mousetrap than getting subsidized by 80 million homes.

When college sports are in the same boat as the music industry in the coming decades - do you think the ideas you've posted here would have led UConn to being Taylor Swift or U2?

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 3h3 hours ago
Source: Former Gophers AD Gets Job At UConn

Gophs just lost Beth Goetz to UCONN.
Beth held the Gophs AD together after the Norwood fiasco.
Good day for UCONN

Beth Goetz will be an Associate Athletic Director at UCONN with emphasis on Football.
Yep, very good day at UCONN

Marcus R. Fuller‏@GophersNow
Former University of Minnesota interim AD Beth Goetz is leaving for the Chief Operating Officer job with UCONN, school announced today

Big loss for Minnesota Gophers. I was hoping Beth would stay after doing such a wonderful job at Minnesota.

Minnesota Gophers ‏@GopherSports · 3h3 hours ago
Thank you for all your hard work, Beth!
Goetz Leaving Minnesota for UConn Post ➡️ Goetz Leaving Minnesota for UConn Post

Alex Apyan ‏@AeroApe51 · 3h3 hours ago
Associate assistant director is a mouthful. Wonder if this has anything to do with advice UCONN got from B1G/ACC

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@AeroApe51
Good question.
One of the articles did indicate Beth Goetz focus will be on Football.
Very good question.

@azescobar1
B10 is not expanding anytime soon.
UCONN thought of highly in B1G.
But UCONN, along with everyone else, not a candidate now.

@azescobar1
But did UCONN get info/instructions on best way to meet some future benchmarks for B1G?
Maybe
Goetz is a great hire. Period

Russell Steinberg ‏@Russ_Steinberg · 3h3 hours ago
Yes. UConn has reached out to B10, Big 12, ACC asking exactly this: UConn Officials See Big 12 Hopes Fading

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire @Russ_Steinberg
Thanks for the link.
It's all very interesting...
Goetz could have easily received an already established P5 job.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm loving this guy's malapropisms lately.
I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. Now I'm sitting here chuckling.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The P12 isn't going anywhere. Worst case they sell T3 content to the BTN or some other network.

There will always be a market for live CFB. If it's not cable, it's another format. They money isn't going anywhere.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
@azescobar1
B10 is not expanding anytime soon.
UCONN thought of highly in B1G.
But UCONN, along with everyone else, not a candidate now.

@azescobar1
But did UCONN get info/instructions on best way to meet some future benchmarks for B1G?
Maybe
Goetz is a great hire. Period
This is second person with AD experience joining Benedict's staff. I have to believe that they think that something good is happening or soon to happen at UConn, otherwise why take a step down to work at a G5 school?

Reaction Score
This is second person with AD experience joining Benedict's staff. I have to believe that they think that something good is happening or soon to happen at UConn, otherwise why take a step down to work at a G5 school?
Either our administration has gone crazy or ?????

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

No, but they can put data caps in place so that cable cutters who stream more video quantity/quality will have to paaaaaaayyyyyyyyy.

Reaction Score
Utini ‏@PromiscuousJawa Jun 6
BYU/Cincy. Beginning 2017. Confirmed. Stopping at 12. Major 75% haircut 1st year to enter. Lowers 15% each year. Announced b4 2016 season.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 Jun 5
B12 can also put the screws to B10 by expanding and lessening the amount of $ fox and ESPN can pay B10. #ProRatasAbitch

Brad Gorby ‏@WVBrad 9h9 hours ago
@MH ver3 looks as if you were spot on again.
Could Big 12 expansion chase the Big Ten off ESPN?

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 8h8 hours ago
@WVBrad matches right up with what I was told and shared here days ago.

Mountaineer Steve ‏@Mountaineer_Ste 8h8 hours agoIrmo, SC
@WVBrad @MH ver3 You do know any opinion article by SBNation is wrong, unless it is written after the fact.

Shawn ‏@McCoyShawn13 6h6 hours ago
@WVBrad @MH ver3 It's been known since BTN creation that B1G was not renewing with ESPN. No news here.

Doug ‏@NebGradDubDub 3h3 hours ago
@WVBrad @MH ver3 @Landgrant33 makes more sense for ESPN to dissolve the B12 and spread the teams to other entities it owns.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 13h13 hours ago
Come back to the Big 12 Nebraska. You can never leave home.

Doug ‏@NebGradDubDub 13h13 hours ago
@theDudeofWV ya, let's go back to the big 12 where NEB got 2 home games vs OU and Texas at home in 4 years. Gross

Doug ‏@NebGradDubDub 13h13 hours ago
@theDudeofWV OU and Texas need to drop WV and the seven dwarfs and come home to the B10 where they belong.

Dave Ackermann ‏@ack4wvu 12h12 hours ago
@NebGradDubDub @Expansion_Crush @theDudeofWV I used to like and respect Nebraska fans; you are definitely the exception

ME: The Nebby fan laying it cold on those hilljacks. :D

Reaction Score
ME: The Nebby fan laying it cold on those hilljacks. :D

As a long time Big 12 fan, I feel compelled to say something.

On paper, Nebraska > WVU.

In real life experience, WVU > Nebraska.

Yes, Nebraska is known for its 'classy' fans (some might call them condescending) but that's only when they're winning. Throw enough adversity at them and they become whining, butt hurt, delusional revisionists of history. By and large, they're completely insufferable.

Meanwhile Mountaineer fans are great. Not at all like Dude Lambert, M'Hver or their reputation as couch burners would lead you to believe.

WVU was a fabulous addition to the Big 12. As far as conference harmony goes, replacing Nebraska with WVU was the best the Big 12 ever did.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but I just don't get it. I need a rational explanation. If even 1% of the stuff posted by these people is correct how can a conference not only survive, yet "thrive" covering 3 time zones and having 2 schools with their own networks (one of which nobody gets yet alone watches)?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom