Non-Key Tweets | Page 466 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're saying if no P5 movement, we'd be forced to drop football and go A10 for hoop? I'd think we'd just stay AAC, no? Are A10 games even on TV?

If UConn isn't in a major conference in ten years I could see the school dropping football. They have the advantage of a supportive state government today - if that changed and there was really no hope of getting out... I don't think it's impossible they give up on football.

Especially if in the Northeast the game loses players due to safety concerns. What is already a bad recruiting area could go barren.

I still don't think the Big 12 is expanding soon.

In a decade I'd put it at:
ACC: 50%
AAC: 25%
Big 12: 20%
BE/A-10 5%

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have written novels on my position, and it is too late to do any of it now. We are in a terrible basketball conference and a bad football conference, and the only things keeping our athletic program remotely relevant are Geno and KO, along with Herbst's willingness to spend like a drunken sailor. It is safe to assume that the athletic department's allowance will be cut off soon.

How about one paragraph on exactly what they should do today?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're saying if no P5 movement, we'd be forced to drop football and go A10 for hoop? I'd think we'd just stay AAC, no? Are A10 games even on TV?

NBCS has the A10 basketball TV contract today. Not that it matters much when looking forward a decade.

Reaction Score
I agree that UConn no longer has any options. UConn will be in the Big 12 or the A 10 within 10 years.
The A10 with UConn is arguably better than the new Big East. So there's that.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The A10 with UConn is arguably better than the new Big East. So there's that.

Then you should be very happy with the outcome, and can say "I told you so" when UConn is playing Duquesne with a bid to the CBI hanging in the balance.

Reaction Score
If the Big12 does not expand and/or UConn is not selected for Big12 expansion then UConn should hold in the AAC.

Conference expansion is not over regardless of what the Big 12 does this summer. The GORs for the ACC/Big12 run out in 2025 and it does take a "mathlete" to see the growing financial disparity between the SEC/BIG and ACC/Big12. If even one team were to leave the ACC/Big12, UConn is the natural next up. That mean if a GT finally decides to punch to the BIG or a NC St. accepts an SEC invite then UConn is a natural 2nd partner for the BIG or a replacement school for the ACC. It is almost impossible to believe an ACC school or Big12 school won't move for a $15 million per year increase. If you want to anticipate expansion....follow the money

UConn cannot infinitely sustain its current model but, worst case scenario, we are talking another 7 years and probably less than that...If after 2025 no team defects from the ACC/Big12 then UConn may need to consider draconian choices like moving back to the BE but for now we need to stay on the path.

Quitting a mile before the finish line is the worst kind of failure. UConn is going to get to the P5...the only question is how long we will need to suffer.

Reaction Score
How about one paragraph on exactly what they should do today?

There wont be a paragraph. Because what they can do today is only market and improve themselves for a P5 invite. The BIg East was never an option. Who soul play us in football. Trying to make an independent schedule with no chance of playing for a conference championship would kill hone attendance worse than playing in the AAC. Imagine 6 to 7 games against the likes of Umess or Buffalo. Yeah that would drum up the Uconn faithful.

Our schedule would be unbalanced with road games, last minute scheduling to fill holes on others schedule. Recruiting would evaporate.

pj

Reaction Score
As opposed to the fantasy that somehow football can be maintained as an independent at The FBS Level while playing basketball in The Big East? Its becoming overbearing for programs like BYU and ND who try this. How the Hell is UCONN going to do it? Unless that's the plan all along. Hmm.

It's not likely to succeed and it's not optimal. But, it might be feasible. Scheduling is the big problem, access to bowls is another. Independence is feasible for Notre Dame because they have such a large fanbase; a major conference desires to schedule with them and provide bowl access. If UConn's fanbase and market were large enough to bring in enough money for both UConn and its scheduling partners, UConn could make a similar attempt.

Remember, the hurdle UConn has to jump over isn't as big as Notre Dame's. The arrangement only has to profitable enough to enable scheduling with major conferences, and deliver to UConn more than the $2 mn per year the AAC provides.

UConn's fanbase probably isn't quite big enough to get it done at this time. With building, it might get there. Of course, when that occurred, then conferences would invite UConn in, as many have invited Notre Dame in.

In contrast to nelsonmuntz's view of UConn football failure, this is a vision of football success by an unconventional route. It relies on UConn capturing enough support from the 35 million people in New England and New York that UConn can deliver fans, exposure, and money to its P5 scheduling partners.

The reason to do something like this could be as simple as P5 leagues needing an even number of teams, and there being no suitable partner.

P.S. -- Many commenters have acknowledged that one attractive feature of UConn to an expanding conference is the lack of legal or financial hurdles in the form of exit fees, GoR, and long notice periods. Well, if UConn were a free agent and controlled its media rights, the hurdles would be even lower than with the AAC.

P.P.S. -- If UConn controlled its own rights, a plausible course would be to create its own network (The Husky Network) for local revenue and sell games a la carte nationally, much as the B1G is planning. This would demonstrate UConn's revenue generating ability to conferences with (or seeking) networks. It would have a better chance of working than the Longhorn Network because it would have nearly all of UConn's content, not just Tier 3, and the northeast is wealthier than Texas.

If UConn could get P5 scheduling, say by throwing in an extra $1 mn payment per home-and-home scheduling agreement (for a payout of $6 mn per year), then a Husky Network might plausible generate $2 per cable home in Connecticut (for annual revenue of $2*1.3 million homes*12 = $32 million per year) plus $0.20 per cable home in southern New England and greater NYC, or ($0.20*7 million homes*12 = $17 million per year), plus probably $10 million in national TV sales (UConn men's and women's basketball each get $1-2 million per game for nationally televised made-for-TV matchups, and do typically 2-3 such games per year each; add in football games). That's $59 million per year, less the cost of running a network (say $30 mn per year) and buying football home-and-homes ($6 mn per year), leaving a profit that is competitive with ACC and B12 revenues.

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Please, I beg of all of you...NOT THIS AGAIN. We all know Nelson's warped, backwards, send UConn back to the Stone Ages opinion. Why in the world are we poking the beehive now when the B12 is presently exploring expansion, has hired two consultant firms to gauge the market and best prospects, and we currently rank 1st or 2nd in each and every valuable P5 metric?? Can we all agree that this "10 years from now" talk is better suited for...I don't know...10 years from now?

If our own fanbase can't see the friggin' IMMENSE value that UConn brings to any power conference, then maybe we should all sit in on a weekend CR seminar with our horde too.

Reaction Score
It would all depend on ability to schedule decent teams and having a home for the other sports so they're not crisscrossing the country. But that takes away content from any "network" arrangement. How does it work?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Please, I beg of all of you...NOT THIS AGAIN. We all know Nelson's warped, backwards, send UConn back to the Stone Ages opinion. Why in the world are we poking the beehive now when the B12 is presently exploring expansion, has hired two consultant firms to gauge the market and best prospects, and we currently rank 1st or 2nd in each and every valuable P5 metric?? Can we all agree that this "10 years from now" talk is better suited for...I don't know...10 years from now?

If our own fanbase can't see the friggin' IMMENSE value that UConn brings to any power conference, then maybe we should all sit in on a weekend CR seminar with our horde too.

I think we will have a Big 12 invite before Labor Day.

That being said, if we don't, we have no option but to stay the course in the AAC. However, if that happens, our new AD must ensure that the next contract pays more and returns T3 rights to the schools. The American is reportedly ESPNs most profitable college content, because the price is so low. The few games they sell to CBS probably cover the whole cost for them. UConn T3 rights are worth much more than the total payout we get for all of T1-T3 rights today. That cannot occur again. We are to the American what Texas is to the B12, if stuck here, we need to act like it.

Reaction Score
If B12 doesn't expand, they will die a slow death. Whether they see it or not, it will happen. All the teams there should be worried other than Texas and OU. The B12 network is the natural decision for survival. They need schools that can help with the network. UConn is a natural choice if they want a network.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

There is nothing warped about it. The UConn athletic department has a $25 million budget hole, in a large part from football. If we don't get into the Big 12, who is going to cover that hole?

The state of Connecticut has a $1 billion budget hole, and is reducing its subsidy to the state colleges. So now we have shrinking state funds against an athletic program that is losing money hand over fist. The only way to cover the athletic budget hole is to charge every graduate and undergraduate student about $800 a year to keep the football program alive. I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of those students don't like football that much.

It will cost UConn $225 million to maintain the athletic program at this level until the end of the current P5 TV deals and GOR's, at which point who knows what the landscape will look like? Is it realistic for a school to invest $225 million into something that we hope will break our way in 9 years but might still suck even at that point?

If UConn wants to save its football program, it needs to figure out a way to generate more revenue. If the AAC is a dry well, then it needs to get out of the AAC. If, as I am sure I will see in succeeding posts, there is no alternative, then the answer is easy.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I think we will have a Big 12 invite before Labor Day.

That being said, if we don't, we have no option but to stay the course in the AAC. However, if that happens, our new AD must ensure that the next contract pays more and returns T3 rights to the schools. The American is reportedly ESPNs most profitable college content, because the price is so low. The few games they sell to CBS probably cover the whole cost for them. UConn T3 rights are worth much more than the total payout we get for all of T1-T3 rights today. That cannot occur again. We are to the American what Texas is to the B12, if stuck here, we need to act like it.

Agree about the T3 rights. If our next AAC TV deal doesn't pay considerably more than what the current contract does, then Benedict/Herbst and everyone else at UConn will need to fight tooth and nail to get our T3 rights returned to us. Those alone are worth 900x more than what we receive from the AAC TV deal.

UConn absolutely is the Texas of the AAC. No AAC (or any G5) school comes remotely close. There are plenty of P5 schools that don't come close either.

Reaction Score
Utini ‏@PromiscuousJawa · 11m11 minutes ago
Meeting by proxy. Proxy reps from B12 expansion committee and proxy reps from 2 ACC schools. 3/23/16.

Kevin Brower ‏@kevinbro1898 · 11m11 minutes ago
@PromiscuousJawa ACC or aac

Dooley

Reaction Score
There is nothing warped about it. The UConn athletic department has a $25 million budget hole, in a large part from football. If we don't get into the Big 12, who is going to cover that hole?

The state of Connecticut has a $1 billion budget hole, and is reducing its subsidy to the state colleges. So now we have shrinking state funds against an athletic program that is losing money hand over fist. The only way to cover the athletic budget hole is to charge every graduate and undergraduate student about $800 a year to keep the football program alive. I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of those students don't like football that much.

It will cost UConn $225 million to maintain the athletic program at this level until the end of the current P5 TV deals and GOR's, at which point who knows what the landscape will look like? Is it realistic for a school to invest $225 million into something that we hope will break our way in 9 years but might still suck even at that point?

If UConn wants to save its football program, it needs to figure out a way to generate more revenue. If the AAC is a dry well, then it needs to get out of the AAC. If, as I am sure I will see in succeeding posts, there is no alternative, then the answer is easy.

You and I can sit down at a future tailgate and talk this out if you want. But to quickly summarize my opinion: don't you think Benedict was brought in to help encourage engagement...not destroy it? Among other impressive highlights, his resume included 3 things that are important to UConn: fundraising for a stadium expansion, apparel/media contract negotiations, and gameday atmosphere/engagement. I highly doubt Benedict would take this job if Herbst told him "eh, give it a week and if we aren't invited anywhere, we're dropping football". I also don't think UConn would have opted to take LAND (not money) in the new PAWSARF stadium re-naming deal if it didn't feel strongly that a stadium expansion wasn't on the horizon in the near future.

Reaction Score
Utini ‏@PromiscuousJawa · 11m11 minutes ago
Meeting by proxy. Proxy reps from B12 expansion committee and proxy reps from 2 ACC schools. 3/23/16.

Kevin Brower ‏@kevinbro1898 · 11m11 minutes ago
@PromiscuousJawa ACC or aac

Utini ‏@PromiscuousJawa 22m22 minutes ago
@PromiscuousJawa ACC. Couldn't get location.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Despite 585 pages of posts spanning multiple years, not once has Nelson ever offered an actual solution to our predicament. He just points and shouts "Hey guys we have a problem". No kidding.

I have proposed lots of solutions. You just don't like them. If your house is on fire, you need to either extinguish the fire or get out of the house. Your choice is to do neither.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I have proposed lots of solutions. You just don't like them. If your house is on fire, you need to either extinguish the fire or get out of the house. Your choice is to do neither.
The only one you have proposed is to shut down football and beg the "Big East" to accept us for hoops.

Dooley

Reaction Score

Well, if you've been smart and practical all these years, you have homeowners insurance. If you've been really smart, you also have a savings account and have made contingency plans for situations like this. The combination of those two things should be able to find you a nicer house.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom