Non-Key Tweets | Page 464 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Miami wouldn't accept an invite from the now dysfunctional B12 in a million years. The B12 is so dysfunctional now the schools are openly fighting in public with one another there. The notion then that Miami would accept an invite to such an unstable league if it even came about, is really fall down funny. Some of this twitter stuff thats posted on here has a total unreality to any future college football league realignment that might take place, imo
You just realized that?
What? All this is not true? I thought if it is on the internet it has to be true.

Reaction Score
Miami wouldn't accept an invite from the now dysfunctional B12 in a million years. The B12 is so dysfunctional now the schools are openly fighting in public with one another there. The notion then that Miami would accept an invite to such an unstable league if it even came about, is really fall down funny. Some of this twitter stuff thats posted on here has a total unreality to any future college football league realignment that might take place, imo

You are exactly right. That's why you know this is all bs. Texas is like the train wreck that no one in their right mind(other than g5 schools) anyone is going to affiliate with. The guy at oklahoma is basically telling them this in front of the world. That said, Miami has seen better days. Not sure what the mileage is, but definitely a good poke from the oil belt.

So let me ask you this:

Other than the drama created by warring twitter conspiracists and a few very vague comments made by allegedly legitimate sports writers, what evidence do you have to believe the Big 12 is dysfunctional and Texas is a trainwreck?

I'm a Texas fan and I don't want to be that apologist who defends Texas no matter what. Texas looks out for Texas and Texas isn't always altruistic. Granted that could probably be said about every school in the FBS but Texas carries a lot of weight and comes across as a bully.

That said, Texas has a new chancellor, president and AD. And unlike the last group who loved to make statements like "We ARE the Jones," this new regime doesn't say anything. They keep their cards held closely to their vest. The leaks in Belmont Hall have been virtually eliminated. Even the $9.95/month "insiders" can only speculate.

Think what you will. But there's an awful lot of conjecture being thrown around and there are not many direct quotes from people going on record to back it up.

Reaction Score
You've answered you own question, Texas looks out for itself, and therefore should be an independent. You can't have a conference that will get anywhere if one school is always looking out for itself first at the expense of the others. It's real simple.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So let me ask you this:

Other than the drama created by warring twitter conspiracists and a few very vague comments made by allegedly legitimate sports writers, what evidence do you have to believe the Big 12 is dysfunctional and Texas is a trainwreck?

I'm a Texas fan and I don't want to be that apologist who defends Texas no matter what. Texas looks out for Texas and Texas isn't always altruistic. Granted that could probably be said about every school in the FBS but Texas carries a lot of weight and comes across as a bully.

That said, Texas has a new chancellor, president and AD. And unlike the last group who loved to make statements like "We ARE the Jones," this new regime doesn't say anything. They keep their cards held closely to their vest. The leaks in Belmont Hall have been virtually eliminated. Even the $9.95/month "insiders" can only speculate.

Think what you will. But there's an awful lot of conjecture being thrown around and there are not many direct quotes from people going on record to back it up.

Credit where due. UT has removed the people who previously would have been an impediment to this happening. I don't think the old regime even considers it.

The reality of the college landscape as of today is that no school can carry a conference or go it alone. Notre Dame can try, and may pull it off for a little while longer. The SEC needs LSU, UGA and Florida as much as Bama. Hell they need Kentucky or their basketball would completely suck. The ACC has anchors in UNC, Duke, FSU and UVA. The B1G has Michigan and Ohio State, with Wisconsin and Penn State being pretty significant anchors as well.

If Texas wants to be an anchor school of a conference, it needs to play ball and save the Big XII. Then it and OU and KU can be the anchor schools...hopefully with UConn. :)

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
So let me ask you this:

I agree with this. Yes, Boren is out in public making bold statements and a public wish list. And yes, public perception is that the conference needs to expand for a variety of different reasons. And yes, OU and UT have a heated rivalry. But I've yet to read a single thing from anyone in the Texas administration saying anything that hints at their unwillingness to roll their LHN into an expanded B12N. The only people who are saying this are the Twitterati. Who knows? Texas could be saying this privately for all I know...but they could also be in talks with ESPN (or Navigate/BHV/another Consultant firm) as we speak to get an idea if it is possible and what is in it for them.

Bottomline: if somebody who knows what they are talking about tells Texas that they could still make a crap-ton of money, expand their brand all over the country, and all this while remaining in a conference that they are the unquestioned King, they will do it. In my opinion, that map includes bringing in UConn with BYU or Cincinnati to launch a B12N. Then sit and wait to add a few ACC refugees once their conference is raided by the B1G/SEC and their members grow impatient and hostile over losing the conference network race. A B12 with UConn and BYU/Cincinnati, then FSU/Clemson/Louisville/Miami puts it on par with the SEC for football and the current ACC for basketball. The weakest P5 becomes one of the strongest in a few short years.

Reaction Score
So let me ask you this:

You mean other than the public statements of the President of the second most important school in the Big XII? Nothing. ("But other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?")

Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun and Caron Butler. They keep giving.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/031816aaa.html
11795320.jpeg

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

LOVE this. Now that UConn alumni are all connected as one, huge entity, the communications and giving seems like it is really taking off. I love seeing former players in the stands at our games and giving back to the university. Some of our NBA alums are really engaged with the program and school. That kind of stuff is very important.

Reaction Score
LOVE this. Now that UConn alumni are all connected as one, huge entity, the communications and giving seems like it is really taking off. I love seeing former players in the stands at our games and giving back to the university. Some of our NBA alums are really engaged with the program and school. That kind of stuff is very important.
It's especially awesome seeing the "old timers" in the stands for support at Final 4 events. That's one quality that makes Calhoun such a great. Not only did he build UConn's program, he built it with awesome people. Caron really turned his life around and I think Calhoun was a big factor. Can't wait to take a tour of the Champions Center.

Reaction Score
MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 14m14 minutes ago
I can now tell you that if UT refuses to do the deal with LHN that OU and WVU will be SEC bound when current GOR expires.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 15m15 minutes ago
Borens public comments have been for two things: to force action from Bowlsby and UT to save b12 and(continued)

---to lay the groundwork that OU will have no choice but to sever ties with OSU to preserve their own future

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 13m13 minutes ago
I also have it on good authority KU has a home in a big northern conference if they want it when GOR expires.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 12m12 minutes ago
So you see, UT has the most to lose by not turning over LHN. They'll get their $15m regardless in B12. They won't outside of B12

Andrew Wamugi ‏@AndrewWamugi 15m15 minutes ago
@MH ver3 when does big 12 GOR expire?

@AndrewWamugi 8 years

Kraig Olsen ‏@KraigOlsen 16m16 minutes ago
@MH ver3 So where does Texas go?

@KraigOlsen B10 would always take them but no LHN. ACC would love to have them but LHN would cause worse issues there.

Reaction Score
You mean other than the public statements of the President of the second most important school in the Big XII? Nothing. ("But other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?")

So when you say statements by Boren do you mean the very few he has actually made specifically about Texas? Like these:

"... For all the rumors, are we knocking heads with Texas or somebody, I have a very cordial relationship with the president of Texas, the new president (Gregory Fenves), relatively new president, very sharp individual. They have a new athletics director (Mike Perrin). It’s kind of a new regime, although probably my past spats with them have been exaggerated.

“It’s very interesting. A lot of times, the issues are semi-academic. Oklahoma and Texas more often than not are alike in the Big 12. We’re not always at opposite ends of things. We more than likely are in agreement. But I think the cordiality of all of it is getting better. Trust, confidence in each other is getting better.”

(Source: http://newsok.com/article/5479437)

Or do you mean the conjecture of the twittershere?

Reaction Score
So when you say statements by Boren do you mean the very few he has actually made specifically about Texas? Like these:

"... For all the rumors, are we knocking heads with Texas or somebody, I have a very cordial relationship with the president of Texas, the new president (Gregory Fenves), relatively new president, very sharp individual. They have a new athletics director (Mike Perrin). It’s kind of a new regime, although probably my past spats with them have been exaggerated.

“It’s very interesting. A lot of times, the issues are semi-academic. Oklahoma and Texas more often than not are alike in the Big 12. We’re not always at opposite ends of things. We more than likely are in agreement. But I think the cordiality of all of it is getting better. Trust, confidence in each other is getting better.”

(Source: http://newsok.com/article/5479437)

Or do you mean the conjecture of the twittershere?

Actually, I put 0% stock in ramblings of anonymous internet posters, whether the individual post makes sense or not. But what Boren is publicly stating, and what Boren is leaking to legit reporers, is something else entirely. Boren is a politician, and if Boren truly didn't have a position with Texas's position on expansion, we would not see either his quotes or the leaked stories. And his statements that "but Texas and we see eye to eye on everything important" is empty political politeness.

Reaction Score
Actually, I put 0% stock in ramblings of anonymous internet posters, whether the individual post makes sense or not. But what Boren is publicly stating, and what Boren is leaking to legit reporers, is something else entirely. Boren is a politician, and if Boren truly didn't have a position with Texas's position on expansion, we would not see either his quotes or the leaked stories. And his statements that "but Texas and we see eye to eye on everything important" is empty political politeness.

Maybe you're right. Maybe Boren wants expansion and Texas doesn't. Or maybe Boren wants expansion and Texas doesn't really want expansion but they're willing to consider it to appease OU. Or maybe Boren wants chaos so OU can walk out.

The thing is - none of us really knows. It's fun speculation. Naturally I hope my school will be good guys and play ball. And I really hope UConn is conference member 11 or 12. I think the Huskies would be a fabulous addition to the conference.

Reaction Score
You've answered you own question, Texas looks out for itself, and therefore should be an independent. You can't have a conference that will get anywhere if one school is always looking out for itself first at the expense of the others. It's real simple.

So by that logic, I take it you would advocate UConn rebuffing any invitation from the Big 12 (or B1G or anybody else). After all, UConn wouldn't want to look out for itself at the expense of its AAC conference mates. Right?

Reaction Score
So by that logic, I take it you would advocate UConn rebuffing any invitation from the Big 12 (or B1G or anybody else). After all, UConn wouldn't want to look out for itself at the expense of its AAC conference mates. Right?

C'Mon now you are just trying to bait UConn fans. Comparing UConn in the AAC to Texas in the Big12 is unfair.

UT is a plank holder and one of the two anchor pieces in the Big12. When you ask an average fan about the Big12 the first teams that come to mind are UT and OU. It is truly up to UT whether the Big12 continues or whether it implodes. The bottom line is if UT wants to absolutely maximize its revenue then its future is likely in the BIG, PAC or with a sweet heart deal in the ACC. If UT values being the center piece in a conference stepped in UT history and is willing to take a little less money to be with its historic rivals then it will reform the Big12. Personally I do not see UT wanting to be in the Big12 without OU but I won't pretend to be an expert on UT' s mindset.

UConn has never professed undying loyalty to the AAC. There is a reason there are no GORs in the AAC. None of UConn traditional rivalries are in the AAC and the AAC literally spans from Florida to Texas to Connecticut. When UConn leaves the AAC there will be no subterfuge, no trickery, and no under-handness. Despite being the most valuable program in the AAC, UConn has never demanded a larger share of revenue and UConn has never tried to pull a power play with the other AAC members. Most strong programs in the AAC have been honest in their desire to move to the P5 and no AAC team would fault another team for leaving for a P5 invite.

Reaction Score

I think one thing we learned during all the conference realignment fiasco is that every school looks out for itself. Our former BE partners could not care about the conference. UCONN was screwed in the process. That memory is still very fresh in our minds.

Texas should definitely look out for itself. If Texas isn't committed to the B12, B12 will not survive. The only way I can see B12 stabilizes is with a network. Hopefully, this means an invite for UCONN. We are a P5 school that need to be in a P5 conference.

Reaction Score
C'Mon now you are just trying to bait UConn fans. Comparing UConn in the AAC to Texas in the Big12 is unfair.

UT is a plank holder and one of the two anchor pieces in the Big12. When you ask an average fan about the Big12 the first teams that come to mind are UT and OU. It is truly up to UT whether the Big12 continues or whether it implodes. The bottom line is if UT wants to absolutely maximize its revenue then its future is likely in the BIG, PAC or with a sweet heart deal in the ACC. If UT values being the center piece in a conference stepped in UT history and is willing to take a little less money to be with its historic rivals then it will reform the Big12. Personally I do not see UT wanting to be in the Big12 without OU but I won't pretend to be an expert on UT' s mindset.

UConn has never professed undying loyalty to the AAC. There is a reason there are no GORs in the AAC. None of UConn traditional rivalries are in the AAC and the AAC literally spans from Florida to Texas to Connecticut. When UConn leaves the AAC there will be no subterfuge, no trickery, and no under-handness. Despite being the most valuable program in the AAC, UConn has never demanded a larger share of revenue and UConn has never tried to pull a power play with the other AAC members. Most strong programs in the AAC have been honest in their desire to move to the P5 and no AAC team would fault another team for leaving for a P5 invite.

Good post.

I wasn't trying to bait UConn fans. I was just trying to make a retort to one post.

Texas is blamed for an awful lot. Sometimes fairly but sometimes not.

Hopefully they'll do the right thing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Good post.

I wasn't trying to bait UConn fans. I was just trying to make a retort to one post.

Texas is blamed for an awful lot. Sometimes fairly but sometimes not.

Hopefully they'll do the right thing.
Here's the thing Charley, every institution will act in their own interest. WVU bailing from the Big East was in their interest and was detrimental the conference as a whole, but there is not much, if any, ill will toward the Mountaineers from their former conference mates. Converse that with Boston College who was serving on key committees while actively negotiating with another league. They are pretty universally despised by former Big East members and particularly by UConn fans because they've actively worked to keep us out of the ACC to try to preserve their failing brand.

Now I'd put Texas in a separate category. They will act in their own interest and aren't underhanded. They are a part of the Big 12 but they don't particularly have to worry about the conferences viability because they are such a valuable property and they got a sweetheart deal from the ESPN but is in the way of the Big 12 establishing a network. I can see why your conference colleagues would resent that, since it makes their own situations more precarious.

So I get why Texas would get some heat from your conference peers and tend to view posts through that lens. I don't think that you will find much of that here, however.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
UConn has never tried to pull a power play with the other AAC members.

In fact the opposite is true. UConn had sub-optimal schedules because the AAC uses them for promotion.

Reaction Score
And it's a good thing we haven't, it's our trump card when negotiations of some kind need to come up, whether it be leaving the conference or reassessing our status. I'm still of the belief that if one or two of UC/UH/UCF/Memphis leave for the Big 12 and we're not invited we must investigate moving to football-only in the AAC and moving basketball back to the Big East. AAC basketball minus one or two of those teams would be a death knell for our two programs, while football could still survive in the AAC. If we could make that move and negotiate an agreement to play three AAC teams a year or something while returning to the Big East formally in basketball, that would be the best scenario of a bad situation.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying going independent in football, I know that's a death sentence for football. What I'm saying is we negotiate a way out of the AAC in basketball, remain in football, agree to play X number of games against the AAC for X number of years, but become members of the Big East in basketball only. The Big East's TV cache would immediately increase, we would have a home for the two teams that isn't also a death sentence (which an AAC minus two would be), and still have a good home for football. We've been more than kind to the AAC in terms of not asking for anything special considering UConn carries the flag for the league in basketball, is the highest profile school in the conference, boosts TV numbers, and has brought it the most overall notoriety since its inception. Were we to end up in this situation, we'd be in a position where we could finally use our IOU so to speak.

There is little in life easier than unilaterally deciding how bilateral negotiatons will turn out. You and Trump.

Reaction Score
There is little in life easier than unilaterally deciding how bilateral negotiatons will turn out. You and Trump.
I'm not deciding it, I'm presenting what our arguments would be, and hence why I said originally "we should investigate" this option.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying going independent in football, I know that's a death sentence for football. What I'm saying is we negotiate a way out of the AAC in basketball, remain in football, agree to play X number of games against the AAC for X number of years, but become members of the Big East in basketball only. The Big East's TV cache would immediately increase, we would have a home for the two teams that isn't also a death sentence (which an AAC minus two would be), and still have a good home for football. We've been more than kind to the AAC in terms of not asking for anything special considering UConn carries the flag for the league in basketball, is the highest profile school in the conference, boosts TV numbers, and has brought it the most overall notoriety since its inception. Were we to end up in this situation, we'd be in a position where we could finally use our IOU so to speak.

Again why would The AAC allow you to take your two most valuable properties out of their league, but still provide you the benefit of a home for football? Outside of Navy, which was a unique situation as they came in as an independent, no one else has an arrangement like this in the conference. The majority of teams in The AAC have no realistic better options for conference affiliation. They are hoping The AAC works out long term. Allowing a bunch of teams to potentially pursue partial memberships is not a recipe for long term conference success.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom