Non-Key Tweets | Page 404 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Oklahoma really does have options.

I never said they didn't have options. Boren knows they have a home if it all blows up. There have even been recent rumors that OK has had conversations with the B1G. OK doesn't have the position of strength that UT does but they will be alright.

My point was why would UT want to be a good partner to the other 9 schools in the conference when they don't have to? Everyone else is clamoring for change whether it be adding new schools or starting a B12N.

UT is VERY HAPPY with the status quo

pj

Reaction Score
Why does that seem likely? The network is only for UT content.

Texas needs to provide content to LHN, therefore it needs to have opponents and stage games, and it needs to make sure the rights to those games is not assigned to anyone else, e.g. a conference. With its current B12 affiliation it satisfies those requirements but other affiliations might not. ESPN surely has language protecting it from changes in related contracts, and depending on the specific language, those terms may be triggered by a B12 dissolution.

If dissolution of the B12 could lead to termination or renegotiation of its LHN deal, Texas might be motivated to satisfy Oklahoma.

But, I think it could work out a deal to keep LHN with an independent-ACC affiliation, so I doubt Texas is that worried.

Reaction Score
Texas needs to provide content to LHN, therefore it needs to have opponents and stage games, and it needs to make sure the rights to those games is not assigned to anyone else, e.g. a conference. With its current B12 affiliation it satisfies those requirements but other affiliations might not. ESPN surely has language protecting it from changes in related contracts, and depending on the specific language, those terms may be triggered by a B12 dissolution.

If dissolution of the B12 could lead to termination or renegotiation of its LHN deal, Texas might be motivated to satisfy Oklahoma.

But, I think it could work out a deal to keep LHN with an independent-ACC affiliation, so I doubt Texas is that worried.

Are you saying that Texas can't get home games without being in the Big XII?

Reaction Score
I never said they didn't have options. Boren knows they have a home if it all blows up. There have even been recent rumors that OK has had conversations with the B1G. OK doesn't have the position of strength that UT does but they will be alright.

My point was why would UT want to be a good partner to the other 9 schools in the conference when they don't have to? Everyone else is clamoring for change whether it be adding new schools or starting a B12N.

UT is VERY HAPPY with the status quo

Texas has a bit of a complex. Would they be totally OK going to another conference? Splitting the $$ evenly?

Reaction Score
Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 2h2 hours ago
UCONN would give the B12N NYC (7,368,320 cable households) + Hartford/New (945,250 cable households)

Hihoze ‏@hihoze · 2h2 hours ago
@theDudeofWV Households yes but eyeballs? I don't think so. Do you? Rutgers more likely than UConn imo. Just don't get the UConn enthusiasm.

Ben Desrochers ‏@desrochers_ben · 2h2 hours ago
@hihoze @theDudeofWV eyeballs hell yes! Uconn is the flagship university for sports net New York. Very high ratings and pregames are in NYC

@desrochers_ben @theDudeofWV How does Rutgers fare with the NYC market?

@hihoze @desrochers_ben UCONN would earn more advertising dollars than RU in basketball alone.

Hihoze ‏@hihoze · 1h1 hour ago
@theDudeofWV @desrochers_ben Why didn't B10 take Uconn over RU? B10 is smart and could have taken one or both. Why pass up UConn

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV @hihoze @desrochers_ben RU has AAU status. UCONN does not. The B1G requires AAU status.

@theDudeofWV @desrochers_ben That did it. Got it. Forgive me for this but for me, UConn is no fit for B12. Too far away & not cultural fit

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 1h1 hour ago
@hihoze @desrochers_ben Every expansion move has added the schools with the greatest amount of cable homes available.

Reaction Score
UCONN would give the B12N NYC (7,368,320 cable households) + Hartford/New (945,250 cable households)

@theDudeofWV Households yes but eyeballs? I don't think so. Do you? Rutgers more likely than UConn imo. Just don't get the UConn enthusiasm.

Ben Desrochers ‏@desrochers_ben · 2h2 hours ago
@hihoze @theDudeofWV eyeballs hell yes! Uconn is the flagship university for sports net New York. Very high ratings and pregames are in NYC

@desrochers_ben @theDudeofWV How does Rutgers fare with the NYC market?

@hihoze @desrochers_ben UCONN would earn more advertising dollars than RU in basketball alone.

@theDudeofWV @desrochers_ben Why didn't B10 take Uconn over RU? B10 is smart and could have taken one or both. Why pass up UConn

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV @hihoze @desrochers_ben RU has AAU status. UCONN does not. The B1G requires AAU status.

@theDudeofWV @desrochers_ben That did it. Got it. Forgive me for this but for me, UConn is no fit for B12. Too far away & not cultural fit

@hihoze @desrochers_ben Every expansion move has added the schools with the greatest amount of cable homes available.
I guess that last comment holds if you ignore all CR movement except Rutgers and Maryland.

Reaction Score

What the Dood should have said is "every expansion move in the conferences that are making the most money (Big10 and SEC) has added the greatest amount of cable homes available. The ACC and Big12 haven't figured that out yet which is why they are falling behind."

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 3h3 hours ago
Something to keep in mind...

UCF provides Orlando-Daytona Bch with 1,489,710 cable households.

USF provides Tampa-St. Pete with 1,859,820 cable households.

Cincinnati provides 868,910 cable households.

BYU is in in the St. Lake City DMA and has 884,900 cable households.

Memphis 636,140.

Currently the Big 12 has only 13,427,130 cable households.

Adding UCONN, UC, UCF & USF would add 12,532,010 cable households.

By adding 4 the Big 12 goes from 13,427,130 households to 25,959,140 total.

Look... there is no use arguing against the numbers. They simply are what they are... we can't debate them.

BYU fans do not have to try and sell me on BYU's value. I understand it very well.

Doug ‏@dougmcbot · 1h1 hour ago
@theDudeofWV yeah, we are just confused why the widely regarded most logical addition is no longer being considered.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 21m21 minutes ago
Please understand that the fees charged for a network are not dependent on viewers. Nobody could ever watch and the fee is the same.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 21m21 minutes ago
Ad rates are also higher within the footprint too.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 19m19 minutes ago
Value is calculated loosely as carriage fee x households = revenue + 60% of revenue. Oversimplified but it gives you a ballpark.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping that while the Big12 takes months to figure this all out, the ACC or B1G makes a move on UConn. I know it's unrealistic with no partner. But does the ACC want UConn to go to the Big12 when the ACC is trying to start their own network? Does the B1G want the Big12 to plant a flag in NYC? Just hoping that something else gets stirred up.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm hoping that while the Big12 takes months to figure this all out, the ACC or B1G make a move on UConn. I know it's unrealistic with no partner. But does the ACC want UConn to go to the Big12 when the ACC is trying to start their own network? Does the B1G want the Big12 to plant a flag in NYC? Just hoping that something else gets stirred up.
I see the issue of having a "partner" for either the ACC or B1G maybe overlooked by either conf if it means preventing the B12 from planting a flag.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm hoping that while the Big12 takes months to figure this all out, the ACC or B1G make a move on UConn. I know it's unrealistic with no partner. But does the ACC want UConn to go to the Big12 when the ACC is trying to start their own network? Does the B1G want the Big12 to plant a flag in NYC? Just hoping that something else gets stirred up.

We are in a burning building. We are choking and need mouth to mouth...I really don't require a fireman/person who looks like a Victoria Secret model to save us. I don't want anyone to take more time to do it either. An invite from the Big XII in the next 20 minutes would be be very welcome.

Reaction Score
We are in a burning building. We are choking and need mouth to mouth...I really don't require a fireman/person who looks like a Victoria Secret model to save us. I don't want anyone to take more time to do it either. An invite from the Big XII in the next 20 minutes would be be very welcome.

I get that. But the Big 12 invite isn't going to come in 20 minutes. They'll be dithering for months. That gives the ACC and B1G time to work something out.

Reaction Score
‘Cultural fit’ is becoming less and less important, to the point of being inconsequential / irrelevant.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping that while the Big12 takes months to figure this all out, the ACC or B1G makes a move on UConn. I know it's unrealistic with no partner. But does the ACC want UConn to go to the Big12 when the ACC is trying to start their own network? Does the B1G want the Big12 to plant a flag in NYC? Just hoping that something else gets stirred up.

If I were the ACC, given the situation with Notre Dame, I'd invite UConn for all sports and Navy for football-only. That gets them to 16 for football and basketball, and while Navy football isn't Notre Dame football, they're still a national brand and a quality program. Not to mention that they're right in that Baltimore/DC stretch that the ACC lost to the B1G.

Reaction Score
I see the issue of having a "partner" for either the ACC or B1G maybe overlooked by either conf if it means preventing the B12 from planting a flag.
Truly hard to imagine B1G is very worried where B12 plants its flag.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I think it would be brilliant to invite us with no partner and watch how fast teams scurry to ditch their conferences and become that partner. B1G would have pick of the litter and probably make ACC and B12 worse in the process. As long as the partner is announced/added in the same relative timeframe it would sort itself out.

Reaction Score
If I were the ACC, given the situation with Notre Dame, I'd invite UConn for all sports and Navy for football-only. That gets them to 16 for football and basketball, and while Navy football isn't Notre Dame football, they're still a national brand and a quality program. Not to mention that they're right in that Baltimore/DC stretch that the ACC lost to the B1G.

Navy adds a solid Lax program, too. Any thought about the ACC adding Navy in Football and lacrosse (say Patriot for their other sports) in combination with Georgetown for basketball and their Olympic sports. Could help the ACC counter the loss of Maryland in the DC market along with the B1G now associating with Johns Hopkins in lax. Of course, that would make sense, something the ACC is lacking.

Reaction Score
More from the Cincy insider on the 247 board:

A few notes from dinner last night;

Texas schools really covet the Florida market. Strong belief Florida market is necessary to keep pace with SEC long term. USF much stronger candidate than UCF! USF has facility plans if invited to P5.
Cincinnati now has the support of almost all Big 12 schools. Cincinnati strong as Tier 1 Research University, strong academics, educational growth coupled with athletics growth.
Fox Sports pushing Big 12 Expansion, with very favorable numbers. IMG involved, as is CBS Sports. ESPN laying back for now, but will be involved.
A lot of work required by Texas and ESPN to make a B12 Network come to life. Seems Texas will listen at least.
Lack of support for Memphis. What does Memphis have in common?
Houston still in play.
B12 coaches want a CCG! Of course they have no vote.

I have more, I will post later have a meeting to attend.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom