Non-Key Tweets | Page 386 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Problem with KU is they're a one-trick pony. It's basketball and absolutely nothing else. Heck, our football program is better than theirs. They're located near a meh media market in KC, where Mizzou is located between two. While KU does have a national brand in basketball, it's not enormous on the level of a Kentucky or Duke where they bring in millions of viewers just for showing up on the screen. I just can't see the B1G passing over Mizzou on multiple occasions and instead saying YEAH! KU!

I could not agree more. UCONN trumps KU in nearly every measurable metric. The only issue is how a UCONN addition would go over with the Wisconsin's, UNL's, and Iowa's of the conference. Especially if it was ever a one or the other scenario. JMO but UCONN makes so much sense for The B1G that it is perplexing to me that they have not been hyped up more as a potential addition.

TV/Market
UCONN>KU

Football
UCONN>KU

Basketball M/W
UCONN>KU

Olympic Sports
UCONN>KU

Hockey Addition
UCONN>KU

Academics
UCONN>KU

AAU Status
KU>UCONN

Geography
????

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'll put this here... it's a little bit old and even though Chip Brown is connected to UT, it's a lot of conjecture and spitballing.
http://www.scout.com/college/texas/story/1632539-is-collective-bargaining-by-power-5-imminent
OU PRESIDENT DAVID BOREN IS STILL NOT HAPPY, SO IS COLLECTIVE BARGAINING BY THE POWER FIVE THE NEXT BIG MOVE IN REALIGNMENT?

Chip comes up with one of those imaginary realignment scenarios, only missing the slashes. 11 team conferences. Surprise surprise, he leaves Cincy and UConn out.

Reaction Score
Women's hockey unfortunately hasn't proven to be a content generator. NESN barely televises the Hockey East women's tournament championship, so I doubt BTN is going to look into that too much.

Agreed, but another addition like UCONN would get The B1G closer to sponsoring a conference. What little revenue is generated would be under the conference's control. Small but not unimportant.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The whole contiguous thing makes absolutely zero sense any more in an era where media markets are much more significant than whether states border. Can you imagine the Pac 12 saying they can't take Texas without New Mexico?

But Kansas brings a national brand, so the question would really boil down to how significant a conference office thinks our NYC (and Boston) potential dents are if it comes down to a head to head battle. You'd like to think the upside of the major EC markets would hold sway over dominating the flyover corridor with OK-KS-NE, but who knows.

Contiguous matters. You can look at the American and say it doesn't, but look at the two most successful leagues? B1G and SEC are contiguous. Why does this matter? Back when I was at KU, you could go to any bar in KC and it was a Big 12 bar. Lots of KU, Mizzou, K State, ISU, Colorado and OU/OSU grads...but it was a Big 12 bar. The same is true today for the B1G in Chicago, Indianapolis, Cleveland etc. and the SEC in many markets. Adding KU and OU to Nebraska would be more than the sum of its parts. Likewise UConn and UVA if it happened. But UConn and OU? I don't see that.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Something tells me if OU and KU end up in the B1G, we will not.

That said, the B1G has had numerous opportunities to take Mizzou and hasn't, what's going to make them really want KU? KU has better bball but that's it, Mizzou has better football, respectable BB, better academics, AAU membership, better TV markets. They've decided not to add them but are going to jump at KU? Ehhh.

KU academics are a little better than Mizzou really. KU brand recognition is vastly better than Mizzou, it has a national following in basketball and Mizzou really has no fans outside of its own alumni. Even in KC (Missouri), KU is the stronger school. In St. Louis, Illinois is about as strong as Mizzou. The B1G didn't need Mizzou because with Illinois and KU it can cover the two markets in Missouri that matter. By the way, Arkansas is as strong as Mizzou in Springfield as well.

Reaction Score
JMO but UCONN makes so much sense for The B1G that it is perplexing to me that they have not been hyped up more as a potential addition.
Geno Auriemma probably isn't going to retire until we are in the Big Ten. He's a big fan of UConn football.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
@snoopdoug44

#Big12 been told by a UT alum/booster buddy that UT will cave on expansion and its likely UCONN and Cincinnati. No to Houston or Memphis.

I just bought a second, steel reinforced cup. This kick is going to involve a steel toed boot.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I just bought a second, steel reinforced cup. This kick is going to involve a steel toed boot.

Either that or it will be like .
UConn needs to get a little bit of the peril. Twitter is our grail shaped beacon.

Reaction Score
Yeah, not feeling the WVU hate. They were a good conference partner that gave notice and left in accordance with conference rules. Plus their response to Jazz Howard's passing has earned them a ton of respect and and affection from me.

I agree with this completely! They were great folks to tailgate with when they came to Hartford, compaired to other D'bag fanbases.... They love their FB, and really carried the Big East when it counted beating some BIG programs along the way. They definately have a bunch of "tool boxes" on their message boards that are a bit over the top but I think their true colors were on full display following Jazz's death.
I always pulled for West V because their victories made our conference look better and as long as we were also winning it just made us look good as well. I would like to have them back on our schedule regularly, it made us elevate our game IMO. I felt they were more of a rival than RU ever was, but that's just my thought.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I wonder what position UConn would be in if they demoted the football team to FCS and begged the Big East for inclusion. hmmm. Is the Big XII looking for all-except-football athletic departments?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
When we won the title in 2011, there were a ton of WVU fans on the Boneyard congratulating us on the win. There were fans from a lot of different programs, but not as many as from West Virginia.

Reaction Score
I'll put this here... it's a little bit old and even though Chip Brown is connected to UT, it's a lot of conjecture and spitballing.
OU PRESIDENT DAVID BOREN IS STILL NOT HAPPY, SO IS COLLECTIVE BARGAINING BY THE POWER FIVE THE NEXT BIG MOVE IN REALIGNMENT?

Chip comes up with one of those imaginary realignment scenarios, only missing the slashes. 11 team conferences. Surprise surprise, he leaves Cincy and UConn out.
Attention Chip: To echo a famous line from GoT" "You know NOTHING, Jon Snow!"

Reaction Score
WVU and RU fanbase's are as close as it gets in FB...we visit each others boards in support...We called it the Guidos vs Hillbillies and both fanbases miss it..its rare to see fanbases as close...Arky fans for some reason have bonded with ours too...the bad point qith WVU is RU could never beat them on the field yet like the fans and they like ours anyway....we hate SU the most. NJ sends loads of students to WV but the B12 hasn't helped their image in NYC/NJ..no one cares about the teams they play out west one way or the other..and they seem unhappy playing out there most of the time and they don't seem much liked either according to the LT's board as hiphopfroggy could tell you....i see his posts frequently on Okies board and he has been giving UConn some love there...Two of my nephews went to WVU and want to see them back in an eastern conference again but CR and big money is ruining the regionality of CFB and who knows where it will all end up in 10 or so yrs...

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Not putting any faith in this, but saw this re-tweeted from a mutual Twitter handle I follow (HuskyArmy):

@SBNationCFB uconn doesn't want in on big 12 anymore according to rumors at Storrs. It's been contacted by something B1G..
I still can't imagine UConn turning down the Big XII if they offered first, is the B1G really gonna offer first to keep the XII out of NYC? They'd have to been given a guarantee by the B1G to turn any lifeboat away.

Reaction Score
Not putting any faith in this, but saw this re-tweeted from a mutual Twitter handle I follow (HuskyArmy):

@SBNationCFB uconn doesn't want in on big 12 anymore according to rumors at Storrs. It's been contacted by something B1G..

Hmm

pj

Reaction Score
The conFLiCT is with UCF.

What kind of an idiot hasn't heard of the hottest new rivalry on the college gridiron?

Although the UCF rivalry is special, I hear Diaco has written "Oklahoma" on a piece of tape, and is ready to re-purpose the trophy as soon as he gets the word.

And, he's got another piece of tape with the word "Michigan." Just in case.

Reaction Score

This I can tell you is nonsense with 100% certainty. UConn will not "not want in" on the Big XII until the moment it has a legally binding offer from the Big Ten or ACC that it can sign and accept. And when that moment occurs, it will not be a secret.

Reaction Score
I think the biggest issue for continuous states is being left on an island. WVU is on that island and it's not a good situation. They have no rivals, no similar culture, no history with any Big12 schools. Oklahoma would have UNL. UNL and, to a lesser extent, Iowa would give them that familiarity.
Agree; WVU is an average of 1130 miles from the other XII schools. OU would be an average of 910 miles from all B1G schools and 730 miles from the current 7 B1G West schools. Probably still seems far but in line with many conference outliers

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I still can't imagine UConn turning down the Big XII if they offered first, is the B1G really gonna offer first to keep the XII out of NYC? They'd have to been given a guarantee by the B1G to turn any lifeboat away.

I think the B1G voted against the ACC dereg proposal because they thought that if the ACC could get 3 five team pods for FB then they would invite UConn and get a bigger foot in NYC. I also think that the B1G was betting that the Big 12 would decide not to expand because they got what they had wanted out of the CCG drereg proposal. However I also think The B1G was hedging that bet with three factors: 1) that the Big 12 was likely to implode if it didn't expand, b) if the Big 12 did expand it wasn't likely to take UConn or iii) if the Big 12 did take UConn, the B1G could just pluck it 10 years down the road anyways. The primary thought being that the B1G likes UConn but needs someone to partner with them and if UConn did go to the ACC, they may not want to leave.

That being said, UConn has to take the first bona fide offer it can get its hands on and it sure loks like that will be from the Big 12.

Reaction Score

Not that any of us really believed this in the first place - aside from wishful thinking - but this same guy said it's not true. Someone responded to that tweet asking how factual it was.

His response:

"not factual at all. I just get really torqued when I think B1G"

Reaction Score
Not that any of us really believed this in the first place - aside from wishful thinking - but this same guy said it's not true. Someone responded to that tweet asking how factual it was.

His response:

"not factual at all. I just get really torqued when I think B1G"

So this really isn't about Mike 04 because anyone could have brought that tweet into this thread, but it does make me ask why some of you want to post tweets where (i) you don't know anything about the tweeter and (ii) the tweet is silly on its face? Wouldn't you want to require either some reason to believe the author or a tweet that makes sense before sharing?

Yes, I'm a dreamer.

Reaction Score
So this really isn't about Mike 04 because anyone could have brought that tweet into this thread, but it does make me ask why some of you want to post tweets where (i) you don't know anything about the tweeter and (ii) the tweet is silly on its face? Wouldn't you want to require either some reason to believe the author or a tweet that makes sense before sharing?

Yes, I'm a dreamer.

"UConn to the B1G in 2017 to take Rutgers spot."

@CarriageHusky69, following 125, 39 followers.

Gets 34 likes on the Boneyard

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom