Non-Key Tweets | Page 385 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think Kansas as a 'national brand' is seriously overcooked.

The Big East half of Big Monday always outdrew the Big 12 half, even when Kansas was involved.

The best Big Monday rating was a UConn game....still hasn't been touched.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The sports media were all lamenting how Kansas was going to be left out in the cold back when it looked like Texas and OU were going to the Pac10. It was assumed the conference was done (with TT and OKSt tagging along out west) and everyone was moaning about what a shame it would be for an elite basketball school to be shut out. So of course it instead happens to us and the sports media have been pretty fine with it.

Reaction Score
I'd be interested in seeing those numbers. I always thought Kansas brought in huge viewership. They sure travel as well (or have a national following that shows up at games) in similar numbers.
They do, I'm only saying they're not quite in the elite fan travel/TV group that basically consists of KY and Duke. They're a notch below. Problem is, it's basketball and that doesn't matter much. That, and Mizzou has a respectable BB program coupled with a solid FB program, where KU's huge BB program is coupled with a dumpster fire FB program that would certainly water down the B1G in football.

Reaction Score
I think Kansas as a 'national brand' is seriously overcooked.

The Big East half of Big Monday always outdrew the Big 12 half, even when Kansas was involved.

The best Big Monday rating was a UConn game....still hasn't been touched.
This brings up another KU BB problem - they're in the Midwest and thus can't play in the 7pm weekday slot unless it's on the road. 9pm games consistently do worse than 7pm games unless they're extra special matchups.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Would the B1G take Oklahoma without Kansas in light of the B1G's preference for contiguous states? While I do not think it is an absolute and I don't think it would be an issue for UConn as only 30 miles separates CT and NJ; but, its 440 miles between Norman OK and Lincoln NE plus there is the AAU issue.
That's why Delaney put a B1G office in NYC. We're contiguous. Now Jim, if you could get to work on that AAU thing, it would be appreciated.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
After reading the Dude's latest Twitter story about the "Ghosts of Boren's Past" there is a large part of me that wants Oklahoma to join the B1G regardless of who their partner is.

Just imagine the day it's announced OU/KU/UT/UConn are going to the B1G. Dude of WV will freak the duck out. Nothing would make me happier in all of this than WVU being stuck in the island of misfit toys with UConn in the B1G.

Reaction Score
After reading the Dude's latest Twitter story about the "Ghosts of Boren's Past" there is a large part of me that wants Oklahoma to join the B1G regardless of who their partner is.

Just imagine the day it's announced OU/KU/UT/UConn are going to the B1G. Dude of WV will freak the out. Nothing would make me happier in all of this than WVU being stuck in the island of misfit toys with UConn in the B1G.

lol at the team making a trophy for their rival with USF calling others misfits

Reaction Score
Let's not forget that even Kansas as a one trick pony could stumble in the B1G, a far better basketball conference, while UCONN excelled in the toughest basketball conference at the time. Add in academics and geez this is turning out to be a freaking landslide.

Somebody had a quote, look at brands not markets. UCONN has both. The Big 12 should look at UCONN as a gift which the ACC wiffed on at least 3 times. Take the cake and don't look back.

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This brings up another KU BB problem - they're in the Midwest and thus can't play in the 7pm weekday slot unless it's on the road. 9pm games consistently do worse than 7pm games unless they're extra special matchups.

Bingo. Another reason UConn BB is more valuable to a network than KU BB: we play games at 7pm EST (when we aren't relegated to AAC nonsense scheduling, that is). For the most part, KU tips off at 9pm EST. Those two hours make a huge difference in ratings. It's like Fishy said, the front half of Big Mondays always outdrew the latter half. There are far more eyeballs in the 7pm hour than 9pm. Another case in point: Iowa/Indiana (7pm) just doubled KU/WVU (9pm) on the same night.

I think KU would love to play more games at 7pm. The ratings (and atmosphere) for a KU at UConn game that tipped off at 7pm would be outstanding. That goes for every MBB game.

The same can be said for football games too. I think the B12 would love to be able to stagger Saturdays - Noon, 3:30, 7 or 8PM kickoffs - for all day coverage.

Dooley

Reaction Score
lol at the team making a trophy for their rival with USF calling others misfits

I wish we had trophies for all of our games. Since the prestigious award was created, we are undefeated against UCF. If only we would make one for Cincinnati and Temple - two teams that we have struggled against. That would surely tip the scales in our favor.

CL82

Reaction Score
Get it right. It was UCF. Big difference pal!
Yeah, having a rivalry with USF would be stupid.

2-0 in the ConFLiCT (unless you count the game that we lost, but that was back in the days before the ConFLiCT.)

Last edited:

Dooley

Reaction Score
Yeah, having a rivalry with USF would be stupid.

2-0 in the ConnFLiCT (unless you count the game that we lost, but that was back in the days before the ConnFLiCT.)

If it happened before the trophy, it didn't count. Unless, of course, we won the game. Then it happened and will be added to the trophy.

CL82

Reaction Score

Just imagine the day it's announced OU/KU/UT/UConn are going to the B1G. Dude of WV will freak the out. Nothing would make me happier in all of this than WVU being stuck in the island of misfit toys with UConn in the B1G.
Yeah, not feeling the WVU hate. They were a good conference partner that gave notice and left in accordance with conference rules. Plus their response to Jazz Howard's passing has earned them a ton of respect and and affection from me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, not feeling the WVU hate. They were a good conference partner that gave notice and left in accordance with conference rules. Plus their response to Jazz Howard's passing has earned them a ton of respect and and affection from me.
Well, they paid like double to 3 times the exit fee to leave ahead of the 27 month notice. They like RU fans, also forget that it was UConn that went to bat for them to be included in the Big East as all sports members. You'd figure they would be inclined to want to reciprocate that act of kindness but I don't feel any sort of thing coming from either camp.

CL82

Reaction Score
Well, they paid like double to 3 times the exit fee to leave ahead of the 27 month notice. They like RU fans, also forget that it was UConn that went to bat for them to be included in the Big East as all sports members. You'd figure they would be inclined to want to reciprocate that act of kindness but I don't feel any sort of thing coming from either camp.
Actually both the RU and WVU fan bases seem receptive to UConn finding a soft landing place in the P5. I wish neither of them any misfortune. Of course wishing misfortune on Rutgers is just redundant.

Reaction Score
Actually both the RU and WVU fan bases seem receptive to UConn finding a soft landing place in the P5. I wish neither of them any misfortune. Of course wishing misfortune on Rutgers is just redundant.
Agree on this about the fan bases...the fan bases that are definitely reveling in our conference situation are BC and Syracuse.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Problem with KU is they're a one-trick pony. It's basketball and absolutely nothing else. Heck, our football program is better than theirs. They're located near a meh media market in KC, where Mizzou is located between two. While KU does have a national brand in basketball, it's not enormous on the level of a Kentucky or Duke where they bring in millions of viewers just for showing up on the screen. I just can't see the B1G passing over Mizzou on multiple occasions and instead saying YEAH! KU!

I could not agree more. UCONN trumps KU in nearly every measurable metric. The only issue is how a UCONN addition would go over with the Wisconsin's, UNL's, and Iowa's of the conference. Especially if it was ever a one or the other scenario. JMO but UCONN makes so much sense for The B1G that it is perplexing to me that they have not been hyped up more as a potential addition.

TV/Market
UCONN>KU

Football
UCONN>KU

Basketball M/W
UCONN>KU

Olympic Sports
UCONN>KU

Hockey Addition
UCONN>KU

Academics
UCONN>KU