Non-Key Tweets | Page 355 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Haha. This is one squabble I'd happily welcome -- and couldn't care less about who was right. If the only seat left on the last chariot out of town is one where you get pooped on by the horses, give me a parasol and get me out of town.
For the purpose of full disclosure my post was tongue in cheek.

Reaction Score
Maybe. I still think if you add UConn to the B1G you'd get the best possible conference, but I'm officially in "any port in a storm" mode.
Yeah...but I really think that the B1G is a pipe dream....they may hold tight now at 14..especially with no other schools available right now.

Reaction Score
And if UT has eyes on Houston, last thing they would want to do it increase the brand recognition of UofH

Reaction Score
JMF ‏@GOZZER513 1h1 hour ago
@Brian_T_miller @MStine_4 I have no clue. I'm not pretending to be in the know.
In fairness, I trolled this dude on twitter. First time ever. I'm just sick of these "UConn offers nothing of value" types while their schools sits in on the outside looking in just like us.

Reaction Score
Houston in tandem with another school gives the XII a football playoff and Houston itself gives U Texas more power at the State Capitol in Austin, which is very important to U Texas especially in light of A&M's growing influence.
How does Houston give UT power in the state capitol? UT already has plenty of it.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Any discussion of Houston will be a weiner contest between UT and the Houston alumni/supporters in the Texas legislature. If the Houston political caucus can successfully threaten UT's state funding then Houston is in. There really is nothing to discuss other than the dossiers of the various committee chairs in the Texas state legislature. I don't think we are that bored, but then again the offseason pizza thread count is still in single digits.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Yeah...but I really think that the B1G is a pipe dream....they may hold tight now at 14..especially with no other schools available right now.
I think you're almost certainly right, though I expect that to change a decade from now. Being in the Big 12 puts us in a better spot to be part of the next consolidation when the ACC crumbles while B1G, SEC & Pac12 all go to 20.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 1h1 hour ago
Woof.
I was flamed hard today.
Completely understandable.

Big 12 Expansion End Game:
Cincinnati & Houston
Or
Cincinnati & UCONN

Who holds more votes between UH & UCONN?
We have no idea..only..

..only thing we know is WVU - Kansas - Oklahoma - Baylor may have a preference between UH & UCONN..but are not hard "NO" votes with either.

David West ‏@dwest624 · 49m49 minutes ago
@flugempire why does kansas not want Memphis?

Greg Flugaur
‏@flugempire @dwest624 We don't know.

(Me: Academics? Kansas is AAU).

pj

Reaction Score
Houston in tandem with another school gives the XII a football playoff and Houston itself gives U Texas more power at the State Capitol in Austin, which is very important to U Texas especially in light of A&M's growing influence.

Gratitude is fleeting, and the Houston lawmakers would forget Texas's favor as quickly as their constituents would, probably in a year or two.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
What WVU did was made it known in no uncertain terms that they would do whatever it took. They agreed to a hiked up exit fee from the Big East, ignored the 27 month waiting period. I don't know what circumstances are for us, but whatever it takes. May not be enough.
They accelerated the timeline, sure. Other than that? They had a competitive football team and were plan B once Pitt went to the ACC. Not sure what else qualifies as "whatever it takes", as if there's something Herbst needs to cook up to get them to change their minds.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This board will have a major meltdown if we are passed over.
I don't know man, it may just be one kick in the nuts too many for me. I think, I may sit out the BY for a while if it happens.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gratitude is fleeting, and the Houston lawmakers would forget Texas's favor as quickly as their constituents would, probably in a year or two.

Doubtful. Memories are long-term in Texas. Texas, while not as powerful as they used to, would eviscerate Houston if the Cougars turned on the Long Horns in Austin while A&M supporters would sit back laughing.

Reaction Score
How about Uconn and Cincy as football only? Where we are hopefully lucky and both get into the Big East making it into once again top 2 or worst 3 basketball conference. Basketball is upgraded again and local.. football is definitely upgraded and we get more money and exposure. Big 12 gets what it wants but doesn't have to give up as much either. Of the teams being talked about Uconn and Cincy are the only ones that can do that... since I think the Big East would still be alright with us going back under the right circumstances.

Reaction Score
How about Uconn and Cincy as football only? Where we are hopefully lucky and both get into the Big East making it into once again top 2 or worst 3 basketball conference. Basketball is upgraded again and local.. football is definitely upgraded and we get more money and exposure. Big 12 gets what it wants but doesn't have to give up as much either. Of the teams being talked about Uconn and Cincy are the only ones that can do that... since I think the Big East would still be alright with us going back under the right circumstances.
Not a chance the B12 would take our football program and leave our best two and most popular programs sitting on the table. Basketball is one of the primary reasons UConn is being considered.

Reaction Score
No conference is going to give a ND type deal...you are either all in...or on the outside looking in!

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 3h3 hours ago
Dr. Gee on Expansion. at 47 mins in... listen up... Bowl Special http://wvu.leanplayer.com/past-events

Gee confirms Big 12 will put expansion on the back burner if legislation to deregulate CCG passes.

Gee said he is an expansionist and likes to gobble up new territory but the Big 12 lacks a consensus on expansion.

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV @JeffLurking They can't agree on #12.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 2h2 hours ago
@JeffLurking Eventually I bet Boren, Gee and Starr get what they want.

WVU AD Shane Lyons says legislation to allow Big 12 to have a CCG with 10 will pass during upcoming NCAA convention.

John Hemelgarn ‏@98bearcat · 1h1 hour ago
@theDudeofWV he is correct but it will require two 5 team div.. Does the big12 really want that?

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV @98bearcat No. B1G amendment does not have the support necessary.

>>>> http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/events/convention

@JeffLurking A lot of people don't want to hear this but it's almost impossible to expand without economic incentive.

@JeffLurking Current TV deal has no economic incentive.

@JeffLurking More incentive for the B12 to have a CCG with 10. More $ per team.

@JeffLurking B10 amendment is to keep ACC from splitting into 3 div & picking 2 highest ranked for CCG - not Big 12.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Not a chance the B12 would take our football program and leave our best two and most popular programs sitting on the table. Basketball is one of the primary reasons UConn is being considered.

Agreed. We would have to be, at the absolute minimum, a revenue sports addition (hoops and football). One of our best attributes is our location if the B12 is interested in launching a B12 Network down the road. Not only would we bring in the most TV sets, we would also provide quality year-round content to fill the time slots. There is zero chance that the B12 (or anyone) adds us as a football-only when we have two powerhouse basketball programs available too.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Someone needs to tell the Dude that he doesn't need to keep telling us that he hates the ACC. We get it.

I agree with those that say that if the Big 12 doesn't expand now, it probably means the league is finished at the end of the GOR. No expansion means no conference network means that the league will be light years behind the other majors by the end of the GOR. Texas is using the CCG vote as a stalling tactic.

The ACC is essentially in the same boat. They need a conference network in the next few years more than ever.

In both cases, this is more than just about a dial on a cable channel. Ownership in the re-broadcast rights may become more valuable, not less, in a world of online streaming.

Reaction Score
Someone needs to tell the Dude that he doesn't need to keep telling us that he hates the ACC. We get it.

I agree with those that say that if the Big 12 doesn't expand now, it probably means the league is finished at the end of the GOR. No expansion means no conference network means that the league will be light years behind the other majors by the end of the GOR. Texas is using the CCG vote as a stalling tactic.

The ACC is essentially in the same boat. They need a conference network in the next few years more than ever.

In both cases, this is more than just about a dial on a cable channel. Ownership in the re-broadcast rights may become more valuable, not less, in a world of online streaming.
Swafford sold the ACC's rights to Raycom (where his kid works by the way)....so ESPN produces the content BUT would have to buy it back Raycom to put it on the ACCN ...THEN pay the ACC for it. NOT gonna happen ESPECIALLY with the issue of declining revenue. The ACC is pretty much screwed for a ACCN! The B12 has the issue of the LHN to deal with before they can get a B12N off the ground.

Reaction Score
Flug at it again...
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 1m1 minute ago
Conference 100 year decisions/additions are best done by adding stability...institutions growing in Research $..Supported by community.
  1. 0 retweets1 like

2. BostonCoug ‏@BostonCoug 8m8 minutes ago
    @flugempire has any conference ever survived 100 years?

0 retweets0 likes

3. Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 5m5 minutes ago
    @BostonCoug Big Ten sir...Big Ten. Institutions in Big Ten are partners, not just associates gathered around multiple athletic facilities

11:45 AM - 4 Jan 2016 · Details
    Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 3m3 minutes ago
    Greg Flugaur Retweeted Greg Flugaur

https://mobile.twitter.com/flugempire/status/684098392767631360… So ask yourself..who does Boren & Gee want their Universities to "partner" with going forward into next generation?

Last edited:

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
This isn't a tweet but is non-key nonetheless. Over at the Oklahoma Land Thieves board someone is saying that last week on the K-State premium board a poster said Cincy and UConn are the picks for the B12. Here's the link:
http://www.landthieves.com/board/showthread.php?91985-CR-Part-X-Sure-Why-Not/page140
Great! Post a link to Dooley's presentation on that board and let's see what kind of reaction it gets. ;-)
http://the-boneyard.com/threads/uconn-power-conference-profile-a-long-look-at-the-numbers.85564/

Reaction Score
This isn't a tweet but is non-key nonetheless. Over at the Oklahoma Land Thieves board someone is saying that last week on the K-State premium board a poster said Cincy and UConn are the picks for the B12. Here's the link:
http://www.landthieves.com/board/showthread.php?91985-CR-Part-X-Sure-Why-Not/page140

The ignorance, shown on that Board, regarding what UConn brings to the B12, was disheartening, albeit I wasn't surprised. It would be good to post Dooley's UConn's Power Conference Profile on that site!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom