Non-Key Tweets | Page 1027 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There was a major shakeup at the top of ESPN very recently (announced over this past weekend). The new guy in charge is a Holy Cross (undergrad)/UMass (grad school) alum. I doubt it does much for us but a substantial part of the old guard that helped keep us out is gone.
Ehh, it's just business. That why ESPN screwed us in the past and that's why they're in our corner now.

Reaction Score
it's really infuriating. he single handedly saved the conference from oblivion but now the big12 admins are right back up on their high horses being stubborn and acting like they know better than him. Yormark should be able to do whatever the hell he wants at least until the NEXT tv deal expires in 2040 or thereabouts.
Yep, it's crazy.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think Yourmak's end game is to get UConn first so it will be easier to create his Northwest Pod when they go to 24 teams when the ACC implodes. A group that includes UConn, Syracuse, West Virginia, Louisville, Duke, and Cincy would be insane. It would cut costs on travel for football (same 5 schools together) and take 1 or 2 from each other pod. No OCC like the B1G and SEC further shutting out the other teams.

The only decision is to move now with Big 12. If some fans can't see this then they have blinders on to what is coming.

If there is any chance that the ACC is coming apart, then the Big 12 is not adding UConn.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
If there is any chance that the ACC is coming apart, then the Big 12 is not adding UConn.

I am not sure why you can't see it but it's already happening. Yourmak wants UConn, and in the end, UConn will be part of that move whether it is now or in 3 years.

If FSU (and Clemson) get their wish and get out, then the ACC contract is going to end.

Florida State, ACC fight: ESPN have option to end deal in 2027, document shows

Why do you think that piece has finally been shared about the ACC media contract for the first time by major news outlets? Everyone that is not playing 2 or 3 steps ahead will be left in the dust heap.

Reaction Score
the key word in the sentence you quoted is "FIRST" as in: "I think Yourmak's end game is to get UConn first so it will be easier to create his Northwest Pod when they go to 24 teams when the ACC implodes."

we would accept an invite and sign a contract now for our phased entry in 2026 and 2031 so it doesnt matter when the ACC inevitably implodes. we have a seat when the music stops.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm sure Yormark is aware of the conference landscape and the potential of the ACC blowing up. That's not exactly a secret.
In a lot of ways, taking Connecticut makes strategic sense for the big 12. It takes away a tool from the ACC to rebuild after the major programs leave and it may make the big 12 a more attractive destination for East Coast teams.

Reaction Score
In a lot of ways, taking Connecticut makes strategic sense for the big 12. It takes away a tool from the ACC to rebuild after the major programs leave and it may make the big 12 a more attractive destination for East Coast teams.

The power conferences have been cannibalizing themselves for decades.
It was the BCS6
Then the Power 5
Now it's the Power 4

The ACC and the Big12 are battling for the #3 spot. For reasons that you mentioned, adding UConn can definitely help the Big 12.

The ACC is in a tough spot right now, they can't really add anyone when two of their biggest football schools want out. If they get out early, the ACC will clearly be the #4 power conference, probably far back from #3. If they can't get out early, it will be a toxic situation for at least a decade.

Reaction Score

I think Memphis is a better fit for the Big 12 in the eyes of Presidents regionally, culturally, football-wise, and academically, and they have solid bball. I would not be surprised if they ultimately leapfrog us after this dog and pony show.

Reaction Score
I think Memphis is a better fit for the Big 12 in the eyes of Presidents regionally, culturally, football-wise, and academically, and they have solid bball. I would not be surprised if they ultimately leapfrog us after this dog and pony show.
If you can get a horrible academic commuter school in the most dangerous city in the country who has never won anything and nobody else wants you have to strike while the iron is hot and get them.

Reaction Score
What if only 4 schools from the ACC get P2 invites? Then there are still 13 schools plus Notre Dame in the ACC and you can backfill. Clearly weaker, but they survive if they want. But, what if the Big 12 has UConn already, would that attract say 3 schools from the ACC to defect as they would be afraid that another ACC school would take their spot in the Big 12?

Reaction Score
Why can't both be legitimate takes?
Didn't say it they couldn't be. But its funny to say lets be nice then rip some other school. By the way i can't stand Memphis, but i still find it funny to tell people to be nice than crap on another city/school.

Reaction Score
ACC East
1) UConn 2) Cuse 3) BC 4) VT 5) UVA

ACC South
1) NC St 2) Duke 3) Wake 4) GT 5) USF

ACC Central:
1) Pitt 2) Lville 3) Memphis 4) Tulane 5) SMU

ACC West:
1) Wazzu 2) OR St 3) Cal 4) Stanford 5) SDSU

20 schools plus Notre Dame as a non-football member w/ a scheduling agreement. I'd take it as a worst case scenario.

Stuff like this is why I think 20(+1) would be the sweet-spot for fans/competition. Play your pod every year and rotate the other 3 through for football. 9 conference football games. Play everybody once a year for basketball giving 19 (20) conference games. That said if the ACC falls apart I don't necessarily see the Big 12 stopping at 20. The B1G and SEC might

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Didn't say it they couldn't be. But its funny to say lets be nice then rip some other school. By the way i can't stand Memphis, but i still find it funny to tell people to be nice than crap on another city/school.
Tennessee isn't the Midwest. Everyone craps on Memphis.

Reaction Score
Stuff like this is why I think 20(+1) would be the sweet-spot for fans/competition. Play your pod every year and rotate the other 3 through for football. 9 conference football games. Play everybody once a year for basketball giving 19 (20) conference games. That said if the ACC falls apart I don't necessarily see the Big 12 stopping at 20. The B1G and SEC might
yeah i would be fine watching UConn compete in that iteration of ACC for the rest of my life but we cant know how many ACC teams will be leftover or who they will be. that's too big of a risk to count on.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
yeah i would be fine watching UConn compete in that iteration of ACC for the rest of my life but we cant know how many ACC teams will be leftover or who they will be. that's too big of a risk to count on.

The ACC does not want us for whatever reason. I’d much rather go someplace that wants us and sees our value, then be left with what’s left after it implodes

Reaction Score
The ACC does not want us for whatever reason. I’d much rather go someplace that wants us and sees our value, then be left with what’s left after it implodes
without F$U, Miami, Clemson, UNC it wouldnt be the ACC that we know and hate, and necessarily hates us, but i agree w/ the sentiment

Reaction Score
So at this point ... the Big East. Let's see how staying works out for us over time. Not that we have much of a choice. Being UConn we know that the end game will be the worst possible scenario... UConn and Big East teams poached bball only. Football stays on the vine.

Reaction Score
Memphis is even below Big 12 standards academically as they would be the lowest ranked Big 12 school. Eight Big 12 schools are ranked 115 or below by US News with the lowest ranked school, WVU and Texas Tech tied at 216. Memphis is ranked 269.

Reaction Score
Superjohn, let's be nice to midwesterners.

Also superjohn, Memphis is worst than Baghdad and their students can't read.
I wouldn't take swipes at the kids or say any awful stereotypes of the people who live there.

Everything I said is true and not a nasty stereotype. It is an awful academic school, it would be the worst academic school in the Big 12. It is a commuter school, only 18% of undergrads live on campus. They've never won anything. This can be disputed, apparently their pom squad is amazing winning many national championships for dance. Memphis has the highest murder rate in the country.

Reaction Score
Superjohn, let's be nice to midwesterners.

Also superjohn, Memphis is worst than Baghdad and their students can't read.
there's only two things I can't stand in this world.

austin powers GIF

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HawleyArmou

Top Bottom