Non-Key Tweets | Page 1015 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
“That’s a problem,” Oats said, his eyes widening at the thought. “As long as it’s equitable across all the high-major schools, you’re fine. But if one’s got $22 million and one’s got $5 million, that’s a problem. We’re not going to be able to compete. They haven’t thought everything through.”

Ohhh, poor baby, Bama's worried that their BBall program might get left behind...no #*&^%$( way he'll get sympathy considering what the $EC and BIG have done to football programs like ours. In the long run they'll be fine, but it's ludicrous to read them complain. We've been dealing with that disparity in football for ages, let them wallow in despair for a change.

The power conferences will just go back to wrangling the boosters for Xtra cash to cheat or up the NIL to make up any difference

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I really do think of all the things to have happened, the revenue sharing will be the final nail in the coffin for UConn football. We're probably going to hold on for another couple years looking for the invite but if it's not here by say, 2027, I'm not sure how we keep trying to compete.
IMG_3603.jpeg

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
So now the big money schools are crying because they wouldn't be able to compete with the new rules?

Oh, the irony
I think it would be more accurate to say they're crying because the new rules may lessen their competitive advantages.

Reaction Score
I think more scholarships may make less difference in basketball than does the availability of NIL.

Even if a basketball program goes to 15 scholarships to give out instead of 13, it may, effectively, make little difference.

You don't usually play that many players and top players won't want to go to places to ride the pine.

I could see top players go where the $$ offers are best....

Reaction Score
They're crying about nothing. Oh they don't have fb players to pay? They also don't have 60 million a year in media revenue.
Agreed - let the p* fb schools be house poor while we keep winning natty's.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The poor P2 coaches crying about most of the revenue going to football. Big East will only get a minute portion of what those schools will get. Who are they kidding?

Reaction Score
Crocodile tears maybe. Duke just offered the 2025 top ranked BB player. They'll put NIL to BB ahead of football.

Reaction Score
“That’s a problem,” Oats said, his eyes widening at the thought. “As long as it’s equitable across all the high-major schools, you’re fine. But if one’s got $22 million and one’s got $5 million, that’s a problem. We’re not going to be able to compete. They haven’t thought everything through.”

Ohhh, poor baby, Bama's worried that their BBall program might get left behind...no #*&^%$( way he'll get sympathy considering what the $EC and BIG have done to football programs like ours. In the long run they'll be fine, but it's ludicrous to read them complain. We've been dealing with that disparity in football for ages, let them wallow in despair for a change.
This guy is an idiot. Throw in the fact that your Alabamas, Texases, Michigans, Ohio States bring in obscene amounts of athletic revenue and they have advantages far beyond everyone else. Is he saying he only has $5 million to work with?! No shame. Shameless.
I really do think of all the things to have happened, the revenue sharing will be the final nail in the coffin for UConn football. We're probably going to hold on for another couple years looking for the invite but if it's not here by say, 2027, I'm not sure how we keep trying to compete.
I would think if UConn can't compete, the same fate would eventually befall the other GX conference members too.

Reaction Score
The colleges that will have a real problem with revenue sharing are the privates like BC, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Duke, Baylor, TCU, ... They can't afford a big cut in their current revenues that fund their athletic departments to pay players. They do not have a state government to help them if they run into financial problems so they have to be careful how they spend money on anything. Sure, donors may step up for a short time, but it's pretty hard to bring large sums of money in year in and year out to pay players.

Reaction Score
Crocodile tears maybe. Duke just offered the 2025 top ranked BB player. They'll put NIL to BB ahead of football

Reaction Score
I can see smaller schools moving some varsity sports to club sports. They will be forced to tighten their focus.

I like club sports, but you can’t really follow them remotely. Have to be there.

Reaction Score
So now the big money schools are crying because they wouldn't be able to compete with the new rules?

Oh, the irony
This is the first salvo to breaking away into a new division that requires football, so everyone is on a “level playing field”

Reaction Score
".....and you better be on the right side of that line...."

I think a lot of universities better think that one through. This is a professional franchise sports model competing with the NFL and NBA with no salary cap structure. At that point you have completely upended the traditional college athletics model, so the assumption is that this is all going just fine. I see a lot of risk!

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
".....and you better be on the right side of that line...."

I think a lot of universities better think that one through. This is a professional franchise sports model competing with the NFL and NBA with no salary cap structure. At that point you have completely upended the traditional college athletics model, so the assumption is that this is all going just fine. I see a lot of risk!
Part of me wants this to escalate to the point that if schools are making megabucks on TV/media deals for athletics, then stop treating universities as non-profit organizations and begin to tax the bejesus out of them. Want the tax breaks again, okay, reduce the insanely high tuitions that are disproportionate to inflation and general cost of living and return sports programs to what they were (ca. 90's to 00's), not this oligarchy bull%(@$. Of course this will never happen, but a person can dream.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
They're starting to say the quiet part out loud.
Seems to me it all hinges on what ESPN offers the ACC on their next leg of their contract.

If ESPN gives them $ on par with the B12 contract (which might not be that much of a lift thanks to inflation), then things ought to stabilize through mid the 2030s.

My guess is that we should have some word on the ESPN ACC renewal numbers this winter.

And on the other hand, if the ACC gets the P12 treatment, then yes we are set for a meltdown. But I think ESPN opts to give the ACC B12 type money to bridge this all to the mid 2030s. I've been told by people in media that ESPN still values the ACC as a property.

Reaction Score
Part of me wants this to escalate to the point that if schools are making megabucks on TV/media deals for athletics, then stop treating universities as non-profit organizations and begin to tax the bejesus out of them. Want the tax breaks again, okay, reduce the insanely high tuitions that are disproportionate to inflation and general cost of living and return sports programs to what they were (ca. 90's to 00's), not this oligarchy bull%(@$. Of course this will never happen, but a person can dream.

I don't know how these athletic programs can now be considered non-profits for tax purposes, but I'm no authority on that issue.

That said, I'm challenging whether they can make any money under the current construct.

Reaction Score
Seems to me it all hinges on what ESPN offers the ACC on their next leg of their contract.

If ESPN gives them $ on par with the B12 contract (which might not be that much of a lift thanks to inflation), then things ought to stabilize through mid the 2030s.

My guess is that we should have some word on the ESPN ACC renewal numbers this winter.

And on the other hand, if the ACC gets the P12 treatment, then yes we are set for a meltdown. But I think ESPN opts to give the ACC B12 type money to bridge this all to the mid 2030s. I've been told by people in media that ESPN still values the ACC as a property.

The ACC already makes Big 12 money...when you factor in the ACCN payments (no Big 12 network)...Yes, the ACC is valuable to ESPN..right now...due to carriage monies....bringing in California and Texas in addition to their other carriage "home states", means revenue to the Mothership.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HawleyArmou

Top Bottom