OT: - Non Husky Topic. If you think Michael Jordan was the GOAT..... | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Non Husky Topic. If you think Michael Jordan was the GOAT.....

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
SJ, do you really view some of those teams (or more specifically, many of those players) as anything special? There were very few series the Bulls played in to get to the finals where they didn't seriously overmatch the opposition primarily because MJ's running mate (Pippen) was also an all time top 50 player at the time (voted to the 50th anniversary list) as well as a perennial all defensive first team player (who happened to always draw the toughest defensive assignment at the position MJ played). How many of the 'second best player on the roster' of the other teams mentioned were both in their prime during the Bulls title runs and top 50 all time players?

Also, Ro Blackmon as a Knick? Exactly how much did he play for them?

Where does Dwayne Wade rank all time?

Why does having a running-mate delegitimize someone? Every great player in every sport has someone to lean on but it seems to be a negative when it comes to Jordan.

The teams and players that SJ listed were significantly better than the east in the last 10-15 years.

Reaction Score

Why does having a running-mate delegitimize someone? Every great player in every sport has someone to lean on but it seems to be a negative when it comes to Jordan.

The teams and players that SJ listed were significantly better than the east in the last 10-15 years.
You’re doing this again. PLEASE stop acting like LeBron isn’t always knocked for having some very good teammates. It’s not only Jordan.

Reaction Score
SJ, do you really view some of those teams (or more specifically, many of those players) as anything special? There were very few series the Bulls played in to get to the finals where they didn't seriously overmatch the opposition primarily because MJ's running mate (Pippen) was also an all time top 50 player at the time (voted to the 50th anniversary list) as well as a perennial all defensive first team player (who happened to always draw the toughest defensive assignment at the position MJ played). How many of the 'second best player on the roster' of the other teams mentioned were both in their prime during the Bulls title runs and top 50 all time players?

Also, Ro Blackmon as a Knick? Exactly how much did he play for them?
Yes I view Ewing, Isiah, Dumars, Rodman Miller, Mullin, Bird, McHale, Parish, Hardaway, Mourning as special. They're all Hall of Famers. I view Mark Price as special, he was as good as any point guard in the league in the early 90's and I think he should be a Hall of Famer despite injuries ending his career by the time he was 30-31. Daugherty and Nance were all-stars those years as well.

I don't really view any teams that didn't win it all as special but some of those Knicks, Heat, Pacers, and Cavs teams were damn good and some of them probably had a chance to win it all under different conditions. The Celtics and Pistons teams were still pretty great those first couple of years in the 90's.

The Bulls overmatched everyone because Jordan was far and away the best player in the NBA all of those years. Pippen was a great runningmate and a Hall of famer but he was also a spacecase part of the time. Since this is a thread about Jordan and Lebron, LeBron played with some amazing players and when he didn't think he could win it all he moved to teams he thought he could win it all with and recruited star players/Hall of famers to play with him.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

We are going to have to disagree on the last item.

Wade? I'm not sure why his name appeared. I'm pretty confident that he was never one of the opponents Jordan needed to beat to win a title. I can say with a decent amount of confidence that most will rank hi m higher than I would.

I never claimed that a running mate deligimized anyone. I also fully disagree with your assertion that it seems to be a negative when it comes to Jordan. Up until the Bulls finally broke through to win it all the first time the narrative had always been everyone else had help, Jordan didn't, therefore you cannot discount him for not winning it all. Then, once he did start winning titles, that he did have other quality players on his team seemed to get lost in the narrative.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Yes I view Ewing, Isiah, Dumars, Rodman Miller, Mullin, Bird, McHale, Parish, Hardaway, Mourning as special. They're all Hall of Famers. I view Mark Price as special, he was as good as any point guard in the league in the early 90's and I think he should be a Hall of Famer despite injuries ending his career by the time he was 30-31. Daugherty and Nance were all-stars those years as well.

I don't really view any teams that didn't win it all as special but some of those Knicks, Heat, Pacers, and Cavs teams were damn good and some of them probably had a chance to win it all under different conditions. The Celtics and Pistons teams were still pretty great those first couple of years in the 90's.

The Bulls overmatched everyone because Jordan was far and away the best player in the NBA all of those years. Pippen was a great runningmate and a Hall of famer but he was also a spacecase part of the time. Since this is a thread about Jordan and Lebron, LeBron played with some amazing players and when he didn't think he could win it all he moved to teams he thought he could win it all with and recruited star players/Hall of famers to play with him.
How is this thread about Jordan and LeBron?

Reaction Score
How is this thread about Jordan and LeBron?
It always devolves to that. Jordan fans often can’t say 1 bad thing about him. I’m a LeBron fan and can recognize the faults he’s had, Mavs series, poor finals record, etc. But Jordan never had any hiccups apparently.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
LeBron played with some amazing players and when he didn't think he could win it all he moved to teams he thought he could win it all with and recruited star players/Hall of famers to play with him.
He played with some amazing players after he left Cleveland the first time. Unless you're talking Anderson Varejao and Zydrunas Ilgauskas

Reaction Score
He played with some amazing players after he left Cleveland the first time. Unless you're talking Anderson Varejao and Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Yes, he left Cleveland because he didn't think he could ever win it all there and he went and formed a super team in Miami. He never won a championship without a superstar teammate. It's a hard thing to do.

Reaction Score
Do we ignore all the help LeBron had to move to get? Does an organization get punished for doing what they should do - draft and trade?
You’re not following the logic. When MJ left, his team still won 55 games in what was an alleged “stacked” East. What did LeBron’s teams do when he left besides crater?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It's what the entire thread is about. Palatine posted the story/video which is referencing Lebron's people at Klutch sports orchestrating a narrative to try and detract from Jordan's legacy.

Who Nick Wright works for

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Neither did Jordan lol

Unless that’s what you were getting at

Yes. Jordan’s haters always say he couldn’t win without Pippen. Bulls management made moves to bring players in so he could beat the Pistons, etc.

LeBron either chose his team or the Cavs failed so he had to leave and go form a “mega team” in Miami. If he isn’t happen in one place, he makes a stink and leaves.

It either goes both ways or it doesn’t at all

Reaction Score

Yes. Jordan’s haters always say he couldn’t win without Pippen. Bulls management made moves to bring players in so he could beat the Pistons, etc.

LeBron either chose his team or the Cavs failed so he had to leave and go form a “mega team” in Miami. If he isn’t happen in one place, he makes a stink and leaves.

It either goes both ways or it doesn’t at all
That’s simply how it goes in the NBA now. Cleveland was never gonna win with that construction, and no one wanted to go there to begin with. The Heat was a bonafied super team but he had that ability to attract, and chasing a championship is like, the ultimate goal, no?

Going back to the Cavs was a great move and is the feather in his cap getting that championship. They beat a super team, they certainly were not a super team though.

Lakers move was for the family and wanting to follow in Kobe’s footsteps. They sucked and their young core wasn’t performing, so yeah, go trade for a top-5 guy if you can. They did and won a championship.

Look at how Kawhi, Harden, Kyrie, KD, etc have moved about the league. It’s just what happens nowadays.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
That’s simply how it goes in the NBA now. Cleveland was never gonna win with that construction, and no one wanted to go there to begin with. The Heat was a bonafied super team but he had that ability to attract, and chasing a championship is like, the ultimate goal, no?

Going back to the Cavs was a great move and is the feather in his cap getting that championship. They beat a super team, they certainly were not a super team though.

Lakers move was for the family and wanting to follow in Kobe’s footsteps. They sucked and their young core wasn’t performing, so yeah, go trade for a top-5 guy if you can. They did and won a championship.

Look at how Kawhi, Harden, Kyrie, KD, etc have moved about the league. It’s just what happens nowadays.

I agree. But people can’t say Jordan wasn’t good or couldn’t win without so and so and then at the same time ignore LeBrin moving around or recruiting players.

He tried trading Kyrie for Paul George and Eric Bledsoe while at the Cavs and it would’ve gone through if LeBron committed to the Cavs long term. He was also recruiting I believe KD and CP3.

Reaction Score
I agree. But people can’t say Jordan wasn’t good or couldn’t win without so and so and then at the same time ignore LeBrin moving around or recruiting players.

He tried trading Kyrie for Paul George and Eric Bledsoe while at the Cavs and it would’ve gone through if LeBron committed to the Cavs long term. He was also recruiting I believe KD and CP3.
Everyone recruits. If you don’t, you and your team likely get left behind. They aren’t mutually exclusive btw, Jordan and LeBron’s early careers are pretty similar.

Reaction Score
you’re not paying close attention to arguments if this is how you think people are arguing.

The real debate comes down to how infallible MJ’s resume is. And all people are doing when they indicate he didn’t win without a superstar beside him and a superstar on the sidelines (and he had to wait until the Pistons and Celtics got old) is bringing MJ back down to earth. Because his zealots need to be reminded as such.

There is no implication that LeBron won championships with no stars beside him. Of note, he sure dragged many more bad rosters further than MJ ever did. Basically nobody wins in any team professional sport without help. At best you get teams like the 00s Pistons and this year’s Celtics who were a great overall roster with no all-time great player leading them.

Reaction Score

I've posted about how allowing players to take extra steps IMO made the NBA a tough watch. When you only allow the correct number of steps it allows the defender to know where to move to and when to jump to contest the shot. Conversely when the officials let the player take one or even two to three extra steps, the defender has no idea when he should stop his defensive movement and/or when to go up to contest the shot. It creates a ridiculous advantage for the offensive player.

Maybe it's my imagination, but it sure seems like the officials were calling more traveling calls this past season, at least in the playoffs where I noticed quite a few traveling calls were made.

And on a very loosely related note, if you watch the replay of Pritchard's half court shot at the end of the first half of the final game of the playoffs, he took four to five steps without dribbling before releasing the ball. But what ref is going to call traveling in that situation with that outcome. In real time I didn't even notice it but watching the replay it was like oh my gosh! I'm sure everyone, players, coaches, officials, fans were all checking to see if the ball was out of his hand before the light went on. No one was looking at his feet. :)

Reaction Score
I've posted about how allowing players to take extra steps IMO made the NBA a tough watch. When you only allow the correct number of steps it allows the defender to know where to move to and when to jump to contest the shot. Conversely when the officials let the player take one or even two to three extra steps, the defender has no idea when he should stop his defensive movement and/or when to go up to contest the shot. It creates a ridiculous advantage for the offensive player.

Maybe it's my imagination, but it sure seems like the officials were calling more traveling calls this past season, at least in the playoffs where I noticed quite a few traveling calls were made.

And on a very loosely related note, if you watch the replay of Pritchard's half court shot at the end of the first half of the final game of the playoffs, he took four to five steps without dribbling before releasing the ball. But what ref is going to call traveling in that situation with that outcome. In real time I didn't even notice it but watching the replay it was like oh my gosh! I'm sure everyone, players, coaches, officials, fans were all checking to see if the ball was out of his hand before the light went on. No one was looking at his feet. :)
NBA has been getting out of control with the scoring in recent years and it hit a breaking point this season when guys were casually putting up 50 point games, then 60 point games, then Embiid and Luka both went for 70. The NBA regular season was looking like the all-star game with every advantage given to the offensive players and the rules being ignored. Everyone was talking about it like it was a circus so they changed the way the game was officiated in the playoffs. It's still wild how they just let guys casually walk around with the ball without dribbling but at least they let defensive players play in the playoffs.

Reaction Score

You should see what goes on in the WNBA lmao there’s a clip that recently came out where I think Angel Reese clearly double dribbles twice in a fast break

Truly unfathomable stuff for a professional league. Not calling an extra step is one thing, it all can happen so fast. But blatant double dribbling and obvious disregard for basic rules is insane

Reaction Score
You should see what goes on in the WNBA lmao there’s a clip that recently came out where I think Angel Reese clearly double dribbles twice in a fast break

Truly unfathomable stuff for a professional league. Not calling an extra step is one thing, it all can happen so fast. But blatant double dribbling and obvious disregard for basic rules is insane

Reaction Score
On the topic of Jordan teammates... I like Scottie Pippen, always have even when he came up short. That being said - if not for MJ, I’d be curious how Pip’s career would have played out if another team drafted him. Would he have been a thorn in MJ’s side - or would we never have ever learned his name (or obviously someplace in between).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom