Non-Fan Trolls | The Boneyard

Non-Fan Trolls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I think anyone who wants to discuss UCONN basketball should be welcome here. Personally, I'm very thankful that I've found a space to do so.

This applies to people who aren't UCONN fans as well. We have visitors from opposing teams who contribute positively to the board by sharing info about their programs leading up to games, discussing matchups, and generally participating in solid discussion.

However, as of late a couple of names from other fanbases have popped up with the sole intention of trolling, belittling, and whore for attention. I don't know about you guys, but I don't come to the BY to hear some Providence fan bragging about his conference RPI or posting highlight videos of his team. I could easily go elsewhere to find that -- it shouldn't be here. I also don't come here to have fans of other programs tell me how to discuss or support my team.

Is there anything that can be done to get this kind of BS off of the 'Yard? Mods, I'm looking at you.

Reaction Score
Being Champions it comes with the territory. Imagine if no one else in basketball land followed the Huskies? Yes they are following us.

Anyway its like stopping a running train going downhill. By the way we are the train and some have already snuck on board, but they can't stop or sabotage the ride.

I say let them come, after all they are just admirers and wannabes in disguise.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Being Champions it comes with the territory. Imagine if no one else in basketball land followed the Huskies? Yes they are following us.

Anyway its like stopping a running train going downhill. By the way we are the train and some have already snuck on board, but they can't stop or sabotage the ride.

I say let them come, after all they are just admirers and wannabes in disguise.

I guess, but it just doesn't sit well with me when the Cuse board bans our members automatically while we let trolls who talk about our programs run wild on our own damn board. I don't care what they do on theirs, but this should be a place free from that BS.

Reaction Score
It's actually fun to have opinions from other team fans and if they want to throw a couple of negative slants of their own opinion I'm fine. But when they become s because they don't like what we're saying on OUR board then they can GFT's.

Reaction Score
I think it's kind of cute. Remember all those little UMass fans that used to think they could tug on Superman's cape? I wonder where they are these days?

As for PC? I'm excited for their fans. They haven't won an NCAA tourney game since 1997. Maybe this will be the big year they actually win a game.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
However, as of late a couple of names from other fanbases have popped up with the sole intention of trolling, belittling, and whore for attention. I don't know about you guys, but I don't come to the BY to hear some Providence fan bragging...

As of late?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
As of late?

Some started out okay but have turned into pricks recently...

To clarify, I'm not opposed to other teams' fans coming. There are 2 or 3 posters who support other squads whose opinions I actually enjoy reading, and I kind of wish that they would post more. Just get rid of the garbage.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
As for PC? I'm excited for their fans. They haven't won an NCAA tourney game since 1997. Maybe this will be the big year they actually win a game.

You have to make the tourney to win in the tourney. Let's let them start doing that with regularity first.

Last year was the best, though. The Little Engine That Could was a big upset pick and were up six points late and they could taste their first tourney win since before Bill Clinton had séxual relations with that woman. Then uhhhh uhhhhh awwwwww they remembered they're Providence and POOF! Just like Steve Bartman and Fred Snodgrass before him, they dropped the ball.

Try again this year, little brother.

Reaction Score
I'd say this board is doing things the right way if indeed it's the opposite of what the Cuse board is doing.

I think a lot of posters get a small bit of satisfaction arguing and poking the visitors from other teams.

Not every visitor can be like the UofL fan, Senore, and I like reading the Cincinnati fan's posts (Kobe).

With that said, I see no trolling from the few Providence fans that come here regularly, Sure, they might be off their rocker at times, but they don't post garbage just to get a rise of people- and I think they are pretty respectful of the board in general.

Lastly, you must admit, threads where they contribute generate a lot of posts, which is always a good thing for these types of sites.

Reaction Score
I think it's kind of cute. Remember all those little UMass fans that used to think they could tug on Superman's cape? I wonder where they are these days?

I agree I kind of get a kick out of the PC guys, they have a mindset that I have never seen before. They were basically what Vanderbilt football is to the SEC for their entire existence in the BE. But because they were in the BE they think are on the same level of as Alabama football is in the SEC.

It is really is quite funny and cute.

Reaction Score
I think anyone who wants to discuss UCONN basketball should be welcome here. Personally, I'm very thankful that I've found a space to do so.

This applies to people who aren't UCONN fans as well. We have visitors from opposing teams who contribute positively to the board by sharing info about their programs leading up to games, discussing matchups, and generally participating in solid discussion.

However, as of late a couple of names from other fanbases have popped up with the sole intention of trolling, belittling, and whore for attention. I don't know about you guys, but I don't come to the BY to hear some Providence fan bragging about his conference RPI or posting highlight videos of his team. I could easily go elsewhere to find that -- it shouldn't be here. I also don't come here to have fans of other programs tell me how to discuss or support my team.

Is there anything that can be done to get this kind of BS off of the 'Yard? Mods, I'm looking at you.

Aka sean and friarj

Reaction Score

I wonder if today's students even know what this is. In a way its a pre-MTV video (albeit corny) with teenagers wearing all their clothes. Anyway, if I recall it was weekdays @ 3 or 4pm, or simply after school.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I've been a mod here for years and I pretty much follow the lead of the owners/founders and they are pretty liberal with letting people rant/vent/troll or whatever. There's that old slippery slope thing. If you start banning a few that reach some arbitrary level, that level will change and we'll turn into the Cuse board that just bans anyone who says anything bad about cuse or good about UConn. I usually prefer that the board self moderates by crushing stupidity with overwhelming force. There are a few that get banned that are really adding nothing, but if you can add even a little, we'll pretty much let you stick around.

There is an ignore feature if someone really irks you. I've never used it and filter as I go by skipping posts from people annoy me (like Chap). There are others that I actually seek out to see how they might have topped previous ridiculousness. I consider those pop corn threads.

If you really think someone needs to go, send a PM to me, fishy or tom and we'll review. Usually, though, we expect you to self moderate with ignore or common sense (ie, don't read those).

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I'd prefer a non-totalitarian board. Banning is kind of like drugs. It's a slippery slope, all downhill from there.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I would wager that this is one of least moderated boards around - I don't even like to see threads locked unless they completely go off the rails.

There are exceptions and the once-in-a-blue-moon quick trigger, but generally, you have to be a complete tool to get yourself banned here.

I don't think the PC visitors ever hit that peak - and plus, we can scoreboard them on every single argument, so there's no harm there.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I
I wonder if today's students even know what this is. In a way its a pre-MTV video (albeit corny) with teenagers wearing all their clothes. Anyway, if I recall it was weekdays @ 3 or 4pm, or simply after school.
I had the hots for Karen when I was six.

caw

Reaction Score
FriarJ isn't that bad most of the time. He does try and bite back at times, especially at certain other posters. However, you can have a cordial conversation at times with him and he is capable of admitting when he is wrong.

Sean just refuses to even discuss when he is wrong and sticks to his same (often wrong) set of "facts." He's best to ignore. He's one of those people who believes the longer and louder you shout something the more true it becomes.

Honestly, there are purported UConn fans who are worse than either.

Cuse fans seem to have gone away after #4 to simply lurking. Their move to the ACC has not exactly gone as well as they thought it would so far in terms of putting UConn in its place. 10-20 years from now may be a different story but for now they have no leg to stand on and they know it, even with the bad year this year.

The only other slightly annoying fan is the Memphis guy but usually he is fine, he just has a higher opinion of the AAC than UConn fans do.

But maybe I just already have all the annoying ones blocked...

Reaction Score
I can totally get the troll aspect and why we don't need that here. But if we bait them by asserting our vast superiority, such as someone did in this thread, are we not trolling them? I'm referring to the PC guys who I really have no issue with. They very rarely start something here. They usually show up (during season, at least) to defend a totally unwarrented or unprovoked statement about their team. Especially this year where they are a superior team in a superior conference. It then usually evolves into an asinine "scoreboard" vs. "this year" argument where both sides are right and saying absolutely nothing. There are people here who spend their time on their board or VCUs (during the Mack recruitment) or 'Cuse defending or blindly extolling the virtues of UConn, too.

caw

Reaction Score
I can totally get the troll aspect and why we don't need that here. But if we bait them by asserting our vast superiority, such as someone did in this thread, are we not trolling them? I'm referring to the PC guys who I really have no issue with. They very rarely start something here. They usually show up (during season, at least) to defend a totally unwarrented or unprovoked statement about their team. Especially this year where they are a superior team in a superior conference. It then usually evolves into an asinine "scoreboard" vs. "this year" argument where both sides are right and saying absolutely nothing. There are people here who spend their time on their board or VCUs (during the Mack recruitment) or 'Cuse defending or blindly extolling the virtues of UConn, too.

Umm, no. Trolling them on our board? That's just not how trolling works. Now if what was posted here was posted on PCs board, that would be trolling.

There is a difference between extolling the virtues of PC/defending PC (what FriarJ usually does) versus making stuff up or trolling here (what Sean does).

Reaction Score
Umm, no. Trolling them on our board? That's just not how trolling works. Now if what was posted here was posted on PCs board, that would be trolling.

There is a difference between extolling the virtues of PC/defending PC (what FriarJ usually does) versus making stuff up or trolling here (what Sean does).

But isn't it the same thing as when some board posts something negative about us and the BY police go on attack/defend mode on that other board? There was thread a couple weeks ago that was a comparison of NCAA tourney records between us and PC. Nothing prompted it; clearly the poster just wanted to feel better about our crappy season. The PC guys showed up and it turned into a pissing contest and inevitably BY'ers complaining about PC guys being here. Isn't that trolling?

caw

Reaction Score
But isn't it the same thing as when some board posts something negative about us and the BY police go on attack/defend mode on that other board? There was thread a couple weeks ago that was a comparison of NCAA tourney records between us and PC. Nothing prompted it; clearly the poster just wanted to feel better about our crappy season. The PC guys showed up and it turned into a pissing contest and inevitably BY'ers complaining about PC guys being here. Isn't that trolling?

Yes going to another board to argue opinion is more or less trolling (in your scenario the PC fans are the trolls and the OP is just making bad threads). Or at the least silly.

Correcting a fact, like number of UConn championships, explaining the APR, etc., isn't.

However, compare that to the trolling Sean does. Posting a video of two kids who played high school ball in CT connecting on an alleyopp right after UConn wins a big game and titling what he did was classic trolling and very d-ickish.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I've been a mod here for years and I pretty much follow the lead of the owners/founders and they are pretty liberal with letting people rant/vent/troll or whatever. There's that old slippery slope thing. If you start banning a few that reach some arbitrary level, that level will change and we'll turn into the Cuse board that just bans anyone who says anything bad about cuse or good about UConn. I usually prefer that the board self moderates by crushing stupidity with overwhelming force. There are a few that get banned that are really adding nothing, but if you can add even a little, we'll pretty much let you stick around.

There is an ignore feature if someone really irks you. I've never used it and filter as I go by skipping posts from people annoy me (like Chap). There are others that I actually seek out to see how they might have topped previous ridiculousness. I consider those pop corn threads.

If you really think someone needs to go, send a PM to me, fishy or tom and we'll review. Usually, though, we expect you to self moderate with ignore or common sense (ie, don't read those).

Don't change. There is a neverending supply of I don't like what you post so I don't want it to be allowed to be posted.

This OP isn't as subtle as some of it but the constant refrain from the same people is tiresome.

Reaction Score
I'd say this board is doing things the right way if indeed it's the opposite of what the Cuse board is doing.
I think this just about sums it up. Let them keep making tee shirts for wins in Novemeber and December and we will keep making tee shirts for wins in March and April.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom