Noel Thomas is Not Too Happy... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Noel Thomas is Not Too Happy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No - but getting to a bowl game does count a little bit in evaluating both Pasqualoni's recruiting and Diaco's coaching.
Considering how pitiful many appear to view Pasqualoni's own recruits - not the NFL drafted players inherited from Edsall, are you suggesting Diaco may be developing not so great players? If yes, and if Diaco's own initial recruits who will start to get on the field next season are better than Pasqualoni's recruits, perhaps a little room for hope, or even a wee bit of potential optimism, may exist.

Reaction Score
Dissapointed in Thomas. My guess is he tweets an apology. Keep that stuff in locker room.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Considering how pitiful many appear to view Pasqualoni's own recruits - not the NFL drafted players inherited from Edsall, are you suggesting Diaco may be developing not so great players? If yes, and if Diaco's own initial recruits who will start to get on the field next season are better than Pasqualoni's recruits, perhaps a little room for hope, or even a wee bit of potential optimism, may exist.

It will be impossible to judge P's classes. They were coached by an inept staff that had constant turnover.

Diaco has done better on the recruiting trail than anyone else who has been here. Calhoun gets invoked... maybe give Diaco as many years before judging (understanding I'm talking others and not DAG).

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
They held a team that averages scoring in the mid 30s to 16. They did that without tackling anyone and allowing 11-17 on third down.

The defensive scheme was not an issue. If they had a functional offense it wouldn't even be discussed.

It was the same defensive scheme that beat Houston - they were just nice enough to play a back up QB and turn the ball over 4 times in their own end.
agreed, aside from the horrendous tackling display today, holding this team to 16pts is fantastic. the offense needs to change, if that means getting rid of verduchi, do it, if that means taking the play calling out of diacos hands then that needs to be done. something needs to be done because ten points in a bowl game is just unacceptable. with the stifling defense we dont need a high flying offense but a competent one is a necessity.

Reaction Score
Well next years schedule will be a lot easier, the starting center will be back (hopefully) and the backup QB should be Davis and not Boyle with Anderson as a trick play option. Hopefully Noel Thomas won't bail and that should get the Huskies to 7 regular season wins. Temple will be down and rebuilding next year and UCF has a regime change along with ECU so with a little luck UConn can edge Cincy and USF for the division title.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
agreed, aside from the horrendous tackling display today, holding this team to 16pts is fantastic. the offense needs to change, if that means getting rid of verduchi, do it, if that means taking the play calling out of diacos hands then that needs to be done. something needs to be done because ten points in a bowl game is just unacceptable. with the stifling defense we dont need a high flying offense but a competent one is a necessity.

Don't overweight a meaningless bowl game. The question is who can coach up an offensive line.

I can't imagine another change at offensive coordinator would be productive.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well next years schedule will be a lot easier, the starting center will be back (hopefully) and the backup QB should be Davis and not Boyle with Anderson as a trick play option. Hopefully Noel Thomas won't bail and that should get the Huskies to 7 regular season wins. Temple will be down and rebuilding next year and UCF has a regime change along with ECU so with a little luck UConn can edge Cincy and USF for the division title.

Which part of the schedule is easier?

ZOOCONN

Reaction Score
Don't overweight a meaningless bowl game. The question is who can coach up an offensive line.

I can't imagine another change at offensive coordinator would be productive.
dont underestimate the meaning of the first bowl game we have been to in five years. recruits that we are fighting for were watching that game and it did not look good. im not saying i would be pumped about our third oc in three years just that something needs to be done about the offense because this product is not going to cut it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
dont underestimate the meaning of the first bowl game we have been to in five years. recruits that we are fighting for were watching that game and it did not look good. im not saying i would be pumped about our third oc in three years just that something needs to be done about the offense because this product is not going to cut it.

The class was already almost done before today.

The offensive product will be better once they put together a line that can block.

ZOOCONN

Reaction Score
The class was already almost done before today.

The offensive product will be better once they put together a line that can block.
dont be that short sighted, do you think that we dont recruit kids until they are seniors? there are few games when we get stand alone national exposure like we did today and those kids that we are targeting across the country watched that game.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
dont be that short sighted, do you think that we dont recruit kids until they are seniors? there are few games when we get stand alone national exposure like we did today and those kids that we are targeting across the country watched that game.

I guess I can't argue that future classes watched - but it seems like if someone was attracted to Diaco's personally it would seem as much an oportunity to play early as to avoid.

It's not like Rutgets, Syracuse, UMass or Boston College have a better story to tell.

Reaction Score
tower1 said:
I'm not disappointed in him, he is right.
The offense sucked and i was wondering why they were not throwing to him too. Way too conservative for a bowl game.

There is a time and a place. There is never a time to publicly voice dissapointment in coaches. If a player has an issue, they can speak to their coaches in the locker room. Hopefully Thomas learns from this.

ZOOCONN

Reaction Score
I guess I can't argue that future classes watched - but it seems like if someone was attracted to Diaco's personally it would seem as much an oportunity to play early as to avoid.

It's not like Rutgets, Syracuse, UMass or Boston College have a better story to tell.
and i dont disagree, diaco for sure has an infectious personality that can have an effect on recruits but the offensive recruits that are on the fence that arent swayed by his vision may be much harder to convince after that showing. trust me i hope im wrong but why make it harder on yourself.

Reaction Score
Which part of the schedule is easier?
Maine to start the season vs a 20-15 squeaky win over Villanova. Syracuse as opposed to BYU. Missouri was supposed to be the toughest game this season, though it didn't work out that way UConn still lost and next year they play at home vs a Virginia team that went 4-8 with signature wins vs Syracuse and William & Mary and plays Oregon on the road the week before. Oh...and then there's BC who went 3-9 losing their last 8 in a row, a Temple team that loses 26 players to graduation and a rebuilding ECU and UCF.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Maine to start the season vs a 20-15 squeaky win over Villanova. Syracuse as opposed to BYU. Missouri was supposed to be the toughest game this season, though it didn't work out that way UConn still lost and next year they play at home vs a Virginia team that went 4-8 with signature wins vs Syracuse and William & Mary and plays Oregon on the road the week before. Oh...and then there's BC who went 3-9 losing their last 8 in a row, a Temple team that loses 26 players to graduation and a rebuilding ECU and UCF.

Yeah it won't work out like that. UConn's schedule could not have broken better this year.

They will need to improve to win 6 next year.

Reaction Score
Offense is offensive. Watched a ton of games this year, marquee games, uconn games for sure and those late night games from the west coast and not the name programs some schools you hardly heard of and never saw a worst offense than us. Said it before but we are no fun to watch if we were winning these games and more of them I would take it but Diaco has got to know this offense doesn't to it. Ah! Crap just score some points.

Reaction Score
You were the last regime's biggest defender.

This coaching staff and it's offensive game plan is a mirror image of what the last regime tried. Is the level of talent really that bad? Two staffs in a row laying eggs on offense? That's a lot of coaches who've had success both in the NFL and at P-5 colleges running into a brick wall trying to kick start the Husky offense.

Reaction Score
As much as re-building from the Pasqualoni/Deleone abortion is not an overnight process, not many people truly expected to go to a bowl game this season. Similarly, few reasonable people want to win with multiple BCS castoffs, problem players, some prior disciplinary issues, etc. a la that Towson curb-stomping team.

Today's game certainly was painful, but it was not nearly as bad as the Towson loss and Marshall's a pretty good opponent regardless of how some people may feel about their conference. Time will tell as some more of Diaco's own first recruits get on the field for the first time next season, we witness players in Diaco's own second recruiting class sing LOIs in February, and Diaco his 3rd year at the Huskies' helm. (Note: inherited Pasqualoni/Deleone recruits don't count as much in evaluating Diaco's own recruiting).

I expect more than 68 yards passing in a game. You don't? How low are your expectations 50? 0?

How you can make excuses for that? Really? 68?

Reaction Score
68 yards passing in a game. How you can make excuses for that?

There are no explanations for that performance other than this one. The game plan was inept --after a month of planning-- at exploiting Marshall's weaknesses and masking our deficiencies. Tommy Meyers would have helped big time but there is no excuse for not targeting Noel Thomas. That's like crafting a game plan to use Donald Brown as a decoy. My only word for it is dumb.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
They held a team that averages scoring in the mid 30s to 16. They did that without tackling anyone and allowing 11-17 on third down.

The defensive scheme was not an issue. If they had a functional offense it wouldn't even be discussed.

It was the same defensive scheme that beat Houston - they were just nice enough to play a back up QB and turn the ball over 4 times in their own end.
I was projecting the defensive performance against Marshall to a matchup against a team with more weapons, but your point about the Houston game is a good one. If the defense can consistently bring that performance, yes then the onus is on the offense.

Reaction Score
You all understand we are two years removed from getting curb-stomped by Towson, right?

I mean, we can get better, of course. But we've gotten where we are pretty quickly without the short cuts of taking problem players who've been arrested at other places and/or JuCos who shouldn't be eligible.

True... We came from a 2 win season to a 6 win and a bowl game, and we are bitching about a loss to a good Marshall team. Yes, we need to pass more...and I hope in the spring Diaco will let BS pass... and I hope Thomas won't transfer out... he might play with a chip on his shoulder next season...

Reaction Score

What is the schedule like for next year? I know we open with Maine who is a tough CAA team...

Reaction Score
What is the schedule like for next year? I know we open with Maine who is a tough CAA team...
non-con games: Home: Maine, Virginia, Syracuse Away: BC
Then our AAC schedule...(we should have UCF, Cincy, Temple home and @ USF & ECU in the AAC East)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom