Noel Thomas is Not Too Happy... | The Boneyard

Noel Thomas is Not Too Happy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Our best WR was targeted twice all game. The first was a deep ball that was under thrown. A better ball might have been 6. The second ended up being an obvious PI call.

Like I said in the game thread, I didn't think Deion Sanders was lining up across from Thomas. If it was a matter of not having an OL to block long enough to throw the ball, then how's about an end around (like the 3 to Marriner)? Quick screen in the slot could've gained some yards too.

Blown game plan to target Hashemi more than Thomas.

I'm glad he's upset. Shows me he's a competitor.

Reaction Score
Diacos game plan really pissed me off today. And then for him to say it must have been enjoyable to watch was beyond the pale. It was a crap job tiday

Right. Just because a game is kept close doesn't make it "enjoyable." How out of touch could he be with that remark?

Thomas has every right to criticize the play calling. This staff can't seriously expect to recruit decent offensive talent here if they keep putting on displays like this. This team is going nowhere if this offense continues to be anemic and ultra-conservative as usual next season. If Diaco ends up not getting it done down the road, then it's time to hire a top-of-the-line OFFENSIVE coach. I don't know how they keeping thinking they'll fix offensive problems with defensive coaches. Really makes no sense. But the jury is still out on Diaco for now. Year 3 should be a pretty definitive indicator of which direction this program is going.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Good. He should have the attitude to want to be the guy.

Don't know that I love this social media stuff, but it is normal for today's kids.

Reaction Score
Sounds like he's pretty over this type of nonsense and he's not looking for a big hug.

Reaction Score
This coaching staff and it's offensive game plan is a mirror image of what the last regime tried. Is the level of talent really that bad? Two staffs in a row laying eggs on offense? That's a lot of coaches who've had success both in the NFL and at P-5 colleges running into a brick wall trying to kick start the Husky offense.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I thought I was watching the Gmen minus Beckham today - what a total offensive embarrassment
Anyone watching who doesn't follow UConn must be wondering how UConn won any games at all
Diaco is a lousy offensive game coach and unless he gets this message the future doesn't look great - what kid wants to come play for this non descript offensive plan?
in retrospect - it's a wonder they won any games!

Reaction Score
Diacos game plan really pissed me off today. And then for him to say it must have been enjoyable to watch was beyond the pale. It was a crap job tiday
Diaco is delusional. Thomas is one of the best playmakers we have. To not get him the ball is sign of incredibly poor preparation and game planning. Inexcusable incompetence reminiscent of PPGDL. Fuming over such a lame effort by staff. Note to Diaco- start trusting your players to make plays.

Reaction Score
You all understand we are two years removed from getting curb-stomped by Towson, right?

I mean, we can get better, of course. But we've gotten where we are pretty quickly without the short cuts of taking problem players who've been arrested at other places and/or JuCos who shouldn't be eligible.

Reaction Score
You all understand we are two years removed from getting curb-stomped by Towson, right? I mean, we can get better, of course. But we've gotten where we are pretty quickly without the short cuts of taking problem players who've been arrested at other places and/or JuCos who shouldn't be eligible.
As much as re-building from the Pasqualoni/Deleone abortion is not an overnight process, not many people truly expected to go to a bowl game this season. Similarly, few reasonable people want to win with multiple BCS castoffs, problem players, some prior disciplinary issues, etc. a la that Towson curb-stomping team.

Today's game certainly was painful, but it was not nearly as bad as the Towson loss and Marshall's a pretty good opponent regardless of how some people may feel about their conference. Time will tell as some more of Diaco's own first recruits get on the field for the first time next season, we witness players in Diaco's own second recruiting class sing LOIs in February, and Diaco his 3rd year at the Huskies' helm. (Note: inherited Pasqualoni/Deleone recruits don't count as much in evaluating Diaco's own recruiting).

Reaction Score
As much as re-building from the Pasqualoni/Deleone abortion is not an overnight process, not many people truly expected to go to a bowl game this season. Similarly, few reasonable people want to win with multiple BCS castoffs, problem players, some prior disciplinary issues, etc. a la that Towson curb-stomping team.

Today's game certainly was painful, but it was not nearly as bad as the Towson loss and Marshall's a pretty good opponent regardless of how some people may feel about their conference. Time will tell as some more of Diaco's own first recruits get on the field for the first time next season, we witness players in Diaco's own second recruiting class sing LOIs in February, and Diaco his 3rd year at the Huskies' helm. (Note: inherited Pasqualoni/Deleone recruits don't count as much in evaluating Diaco's own recruiting).

No - but getting to a bowl game does count a little bit in evaluating both Pasqualoni's recruiting and Diaco's coaching.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

This is not the place nor time for level-headed analysis.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Diaco is delusional. Thomas is one of the best playmakers we have. To not get him the ball is sign of incredibly poor preparation and game planning. Inexcusable incompetence reminiscent of PPGDL. Fuming over such a lame effort by staff. Note to Diaco- start trusting your players to make plays.
Maybe he does, and Shirrefs didn't trust himself?

Reaction Score
Maybe he does, and Shirrefs didn't trust himself?
Disco can't make the throws and all that. Shireff's at the end of the day is the one delivering the football. He either went through all his reads tucked and ran, or it was a designed QB run.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Disco can't make the throws and all that. Shireff's at the end of the day is the one delivering the football. He either went through all his reads tucked and ran, or it was a designed QB run.

Even though he cleared the concussion protocol and fully participated in practice, I have a hunch that Shirreffs was a little rusty in terms of actually going through his reads at full-speed in a game situation. He seemed to be quite a bit more scramble-happy than he'd been in past situations with similar blocking performance.

Not an excuse for him, but a potential explanation.

Reaction Score
Right. Just because a game is kept close doesn't make it "enjoyable." How out of touch could he be with that remark?

Thomas has every right to criticize the play calling. This staff can't seriously expect to recruit decent offensive talent here if they keep putting on displays like this. This team is going nowhere if this offense continues to be anemic and ultra-conservative as usual next season. If Diaco ends up not getting it done down the road, then it's time to hire a top-of-the-line OFFENSIVE coach. I don't know how they keeping thinking they'll fix offensive problems with defensive coaches. Really makes no sense. But the jury is still out on Diaco for now. Year 3 should be a pretty definitive indicator of which direction this program is going.

Great post. Couldn't have said it better myself. Oh wait, I have. Many times over many seasons. UConn goes nowhere until they figure out the offensive side of the LOS. Can't win without being able to score points - lots and lots of them - week in, week out.

Reaction Score
I thought I was watching the Gmen minus Beckham today - what a total offensive embarrassment
Anyone watching who doesn't follow UConn must be wondering how UConn won any games at all
Diaco is a lousy offensive game coach and unless he gets this message the future doesn't look great - what kid wants to come play for this non descript offensive plan?
in retrospect - it's a wonder they won any games!

Been saying this very thing for too long now. Was hoping it would change when Edsall left. It got worse. Was hoping it would change after mumbles (AKA PP) left. Nope. Alright just a tiny bit. Please get someone who can recruit and coach a modern day college offense. It can feature a ground game - if a Derrick Henry - walks through the door. But the most likely avenue in to get a potent passing attack going.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
No - but getting to a bowl game does count a little bit in evaluating both Pasqualoni's recruiting and Diaco's coaching.

No it doesn't. Recruiting is only half the battle and doesn't amount to a hill of beans if the players aren't ready to step between the lines.

Good recruiting shortens the development curve, but good development can cover up mediocre recruiting. Coach Diaco is demonstrating he can develop. Former "Coach" Pasqualoni demonstrated he could no longer. Whether Pasqualoni could recruit raw talent is moot.

C

Chief00

Contrary to what Diaco has said BS doesn't have the arm to consistently get the ball downfield. Terrible game plan.

Reaction Score
This offense was a disaster last year and it's a disaster this year too even with the new OC (who has't done much to win over fan's hearts this year). Unfortunately, I don't have much faith in the offensive production increasing next year either.

The way that Diaco wants this offense to look isn't really points friendly. It's a run-run-run-run then pass type of offense and it'll be hard to win in this league with the Memphis', Tulsas, Houstons, Cincis putting up points constantly.
Look at the stats below:

UConn's Total Offense Ranked 122, only 6 teams were worse: (UConn was ranked 126 last year)
122 Connecticut
123 Tulane
124 Fresno State
125 Missouri
126 Boston College
127 Kent State
128 UCF

UConn's PPG ranked 118, only 10 teams were worse: (UConn was ranked 124 last year at 15.5 PPG)
118 Connecticut
119 Hawaii
120 Charlotte
121 Wake Forest
122 Boston College
123 Kansas
124 Vanderbilt
North Texas
126 UCF
127 Missouri
128 Kent State

UConn's total yards this year in 2015 compared to other teams in the AAC this year
1 Cincinnati 6992
2 Houston 6330
3 Memphis 6125
4 Tulsa 6033
5 South Florida 5741
6 Temple 5134
7 East Carolina 4975
8 Navy 4937
9 SMU 4594
10 Connecticut 3821
11 Tulane 3804
12 UCF 3221

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
This offense was a disaster last year and it's a disaster this year too even with the new OC (who has't done much to win over fan's hearts this year). Unfortunately, I don't have much faith in the offensive production increasing next year either.

The way that Diaco wants this offense to look isn't really points friendly. It's a run-run-run-run then pass type of offense and it'll be hard to win in this league with the Memphis', Tulsas, Houstons, Cincis putting up points constantly.
Look at the stats below:

UConn's Total Offense Ranked 122, only 6 teams were worse: (UConn was ranked 126 last year)
122 Connecticut
123 Tulane
124 Fresno State
125 Missouri
126 Boston College
127 Kent State
128 UCF

UConn's PPG ranked 118, only 10 teams were worse: (UConn was ranked 124 last year at 15.5 PPG)
118 Connecticut
119 Hawaii
120 Charlotte
121 Wake Forest
122 Boston College
123 Kansas
124 Vanderbilt
North Texas
126 UCF
127 Missouri
128 Kent State

UConn's total yards this year in 2015 compared to other teams in the AAC this year
1 Cincinnati 6992
2 Houston 6330
3 Memphis 6125
4 Tulsa 6033
5 South Florida 5741
6 Temple 5134
7 East Carolina 4975
8 Navy 4937
9 SMU 4594
10 Connecticut 3821
11 Tulane 3804
12 UCF 3221
I think yards sometimes doesn't tell the story, but it did today against Marshall. While everyone's complaining about the lack of a passing game, I'm as worried about the bend-but-don't-break defense that sometimes breaks just enough for the other team to get the points they need. And for the record, I'd be okay with a grind-it-out offense, scoring in the mid 20's next year as long as A) offense doesn't turn the ball over B) the defense also takes another step forward to the point that the opposing offense isn't able to put together long drives. That sounds boring and old fashioned? Sure but let's do that first and get to 7 or more wins and then worry about fielding an offense thats easier on the eyes.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think yards sometimes doesn't tell the story, but it did today against Marshall. While everyone's complaining about the lack of a passing game, I'm as worried about the bend-but-don't-break defense that sometimes breaks just enough for the other team to get the points they need. And for the record, I'd be okay with a grind-it-out offense, scoring in the mid 20's next year as long as A) offense doesn't turn the ball over B) the defense also takes another step forward to the point that the opposing offense isn't able to put together long drives. That sounds boring and old fashioned? Sure but let's do that first and get to 7 or more wins and then worry about fielding an offense thats easier on the eyes.

They held a team that averages scoring in the mid 30s to 16. They did that without tackling anyone and allowing 11-17 on third down.

The defensive scheme was not an issue. If they had a functional offense it wouldn't even be discussed.

It was the same defensive scheme that beat Houston - they were just nice enough to play a back up QB and turn the ball over 4 times in their own end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom