No Words | Page 2 | The Boneyard

No Words

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Tonight he absolutely was
I would agree whole heartedly if he decided to be a factor and defense and be a factor by filing in space in the key and battle underneath. He was the offensive player of the game for UConn but the game is played on both ends of the court.
Creighton couldn't handle DC - McDermott saw it as well as 95% of observers but DH must have missed it

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

Starting at 4:10...doesn't sound like a joke to me

outstanding work by u to silence the unseeing clown posse here.

of course, for the umpteenth time we're watching a danny presser where he stares constantly at some piece of paper on a desk, as if it is magical or sumthin.

Reaction Score
That’s an incredibly dumb quote though. Blaming the best player on our team by a mile because he didn’t do more of something he doesn’t do much of to begin with? Just pathetic of Hurley in my opinion. I wasn’t even blaming him much for this loss other than the decision to play AJ so much, but this is really stupid.

Your reaction is worse. All he is saying is that Sanogo was open and hitting and he wanted him to continue to have confidence and knock down shots he had already made. He feels that could have altered the game and opened up other options by doing so. All he is trying to do is instill confidence in his player. He saying he believes in him and wants him to continue to shoot those. Were there other problems on offense? For sure. He's not blaming the game on him. Relax.

True number 1 players understand that they can be critiqued even when they were the best player on the court for their team.

Reaction Score
I read the quote from Foxsports.com and copied and pasted. Then I listened to the interview. Not sure what you're seeing out of context here but we can agree to disagree.
I'm just saying watch the full flip from 4:10 all the way through 5:10 when they move on to the next subject. The reporter asks him about Sanogo developing a 3 point shot. The part you quoted you can see some frustration in his face, but with the full quote by the end he's talking about how great Sanogo is and how he developed that part of his game so fast. It doesn't remotely come across as blame

Reaction Score
Your reaction is worse. All he is saying is that Sanogo was open and hitting and he wanted him to continue to have confidence and knock down shots he had already made. He feels that could have altered the game and opened up other options by doing so. All he is trying to do is instill confidence in his player. He saying he believes in him and wants him to continue to shoot those. Were there other problems on offense? For sure. He's not blaming the game on him. Relax.

True number 1 players understand that they can be critiqued even when they were the best player on the court for their team.
I’m pretty relaxed my man. As I said, it’s a dumb thing to say. Adama took 7 threes and Danny wanted 10. Saying we probably would’ve won if he did. If he misses the extra 3s its a whole different story. Coaches shouldn’t cast blame like this, especially when Adama was our most effective player by far.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
He equaled his season avg in points and was above his 3 pt%. So how is Hurley right to say it was his fault? You're really relying on your 5 to be draining 3's all day? Seems like he did more than his share of the work today.
Why does everyone think Hurley is blaming Sanogo for the loss? Cripes y'all are programmed by cable news.

Hurley said he'd hoped AS would've taken 2-4 more shots from deep. That's not blaming him for the loss. There's no guarantee he makes any of them anyway. Maybe it gets Kalk away from the hoop and opens up other options. Whatever, y'all have lost your minds.

Reaction Score
I'm just saying watch the full flip from 4:10 all the way through 5:10 when they move on to the next subject. The reporter asks him about Sanogo developing a 3 point shot. The part you quoted you can see some frustration in his face, but with the full quote by the end he's talking about how great Sanogo is and how he developed that part of his game so fast. It doesn't remotely come across as blame
Not flat out blaming him (blame wasn't his intention with what he said) for the loss but he thinks Sanogo taking more threes than he did is the way we win that game.

Sanogo shot 7 threes today, he shot 5 threes total in his last 8 games and our coach thinks we need 10 three point attempts out of him to beat Creighton. That says a lot about his coaching/strategy that he thinks that's the way we were walking out of there with a win and he's so comfortable with that he says it publicly.

Reaction Score
This is exactly why other coaches ain’t scared of UConn. They know whose running the game plan for them.

Ideal situation for the opposition in every facet.

Reaction Score
Not flat out blaming him (blame wasn't his intention with what he said) for the loss but he thinks Sanogo taking more threes than he did is the way we win that game.

Sanogo shot 7 threes today, he shot 5 threes total in his last 8 games and our coach thinks we need 10 three point attempts out of him to beat Creighton. That says a lot about his coaching/strategy that he thinks that's the way we were walking out of there with a win and he's so comfortable with that he says it publicly.
That's a reasonable take, and I don't completely disagree. I guess my only caveat would be that I don't think we should ever be going into a game with the plan of Sanogo taking 10 3's or really any 3's, or even running the offense through Sanogo. But given what was happening in game, I don't think Sanogo taking more 3's would have hurt. Obviously it's on Hurley to figure out a plan to not need Sanogo 3's for when we meet in the BET

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
From Foxsports.com...

Speaking about Sanogo:

"I’m mad at him a little bit right now," UConn coach Dan Hurley said. "I thought he should have shot two or four more 3s in the second half. For us to win that game, I almost felt like at half he was going to have to make another 3 or two."

I simply cannot even fathom that this is the reason Hurley thinks we lost the game. Im done.
I think Hurley being mad at Sanogo here is a bit tongue in cheek. I don't think he's really mad at him; maybe a little disappointed is more like it. I do agree that Sanogo was making 3's in the 1st half, and no one else was, so yeah, he should have/could have shot more in the 2nd half and maybe made some. I wouldn't be surprised if Sanogo said he wishes he did as well.

Reaction Score
From Foxsports.com...

Speaking about Sanogo:

"I’m mad at him a little bit right now," UConn coach Dan Hurley said. "I thought he should have shot two or four more 3s in the second half. For us to win that game, I almost felt like at half he was going to have to make another 3 or two."

I simply cannot even fathom that this is the reason Hurley thinks we lost the game. Im done.
Danny is proving to be an utter moron. How about AJ? Maybe getting a 5th O player on the court that is guarded might help? What a frigging clown.

Reaction Score
How about someone teach Jackson to take two dribbles and a pull-up jump shot, and we won't have to worry about Sanogo taking 9 threes a game.
That would be great and I love Andre's attitude and enthusiasm. But right now he can't shoot and the other team barely bothers to put a man near him. The correct answer is replace him with a player who's a better defender, gets more rebounds, and has a better shot from anywhere on the court than he does. That happens to be Donovan Clingan. We scored 53 points today and that's an unacceptable result especially when you have better options.

Reaction Score
Danny is proving to be an utter moron. How about AJ? Maybe getting a 5th O player on the court that is guarded might help? What a frigging clown.
Like Alleyne who went 1-6 or Calcaterra who went 0-2? As much as I defend Andre, I’d be okay with him getting fewer minutes but unless they slotted Karaban down to the 3 and played either Johnson or Clingan up front, there aren’t better overall options than Andre.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I love the idea that someone was sold on Hurley, but then heard him say “I wish Sanogo shot more,” and concluded now he’s a terrible coach.

I can’t believe this place is free.
I don't know what you meant by the sentence, "I can't believe this place is free."

I offer no criticism of it, nor can I agree with it. I'd appreciate an explanation, but I don't mind you ignore or decline doing so. I find it quite easy to accept my uncertainty because the sentence did no more than rhetorically state your belief.

By contrast, if you'd said, "This place is unbelievable," I might be tempted to evaluate the sentence and offer my agreement or disagreement with something you'd have rhetorically offered as though it were true for all people rather than simply you.

I will not bother to count, but I feel comfortable offering that this thread has 10 or more posts that either:

jump to an unsupportable conclusion that applies beyond the poster's individual opinion or emotion;

substitute stronger phrasing than can be accurately quoted;

quote and build from such too-strong words; or

otherwise resemble a post-dinner table game of "telephone" in which the final person repeats what was whispered into threir ear by the person sitting next them.

The result is often laughably different from what was whispered by the first person into the second person's
ear.

Dan Hurley was asked by a reporter to talk about Adama Sanogo's 3-point shooting, and he said, "I'm a little mad..."

If I were challenged to close my post with language that would prove my point in the paragraph about "telephone" above by expressing myself similarly, I'd say, "It's absolutely insane that people do this."

I hold a high exaggeration in low regard, but I have no standing to call it "absolutely insane." That would be an attempt to control the uncontrollable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How about someone teach Jackson to take two dribbles and a pull-up jump shot, and we won't have to worry about Sanogo taking 9 threes a game.
Love AJ, but I can’t fathom how he can’t/won’t do that. I learned that when I was 7 years old

Reaction Score
He blamed lack of converting offensive rebounds more than anything but that is just baffling. He said what he said regarding Adama in the context of drawing Kalkbrenner out… and that’s actually what happened. He went up for a fake, someone closed on him, and then he would try to make a play. Then he says Adama passed up on a couple that were in rhythm. Confusing.

Odd quote “Creighton does a great job of not fouling”. Our stark FT differences is not just some Creighton thing; it’s been a trend all conference season.

Reaction Score
I mean, Danny is right? Sanogo pumped on at least 2 threes in the second half and tried to then drive into the lane where he got doubled and had to pass out to “reset the offense.”

But, Alleyne hitting the rim, or Jordan/AK getting up more shots would have been beneficial too.

4 on 5 offense is tough man.

This is the purest example of a game where you need 4 out 1 in offensive style of play. Jackson cratered that efficiency today. It affected Sanogo AK and Newton dramatically.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
My biggest issue with what DH said was the phrase "for us to win that game"...

No coach, there were MANY other things that could have been done "for us to win that game".
Maybe it was the heat of the moment or too soon after the loss, but those were not wise words.

You don't say stuff like that about your team's leading scorer by who all accounts, has an above average game while the rest of the team underperformed.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Somebody might want to point out to Hurley that the reason Sanogo would need to take more 3s is because he kept Jackson floor much too long in the 2nd half. I know he wanted Kalkbrenner out of the paint so Newton or Hawk could drive, but they didn’t, mostly because even then Jackson’s defender was a straight help defender in the paint.

There’s one reason we lost and Hurley looks at it in the mirror. Yes, the guys needed to be better, but he hamstrung them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom