No Words | Page 3 | The Boneyard

No Words

Reaction Score
Not flat out blaming him (blame wasn't his intention with what he said) for the loss but he thinks Sanogo taking more threes than he did is the way we win that game.

Sanogo shot 7 threes today, he shot 5 threes total in his last 8 games and our coach thinks we need 10 three point attempts out of him to beat Creighton. That says a lot about his coaching/strategy that he thinks that's the way we were walking out of there with a win and he's so comfortable with that he says it publicly.

Seems pretty clear to me that Danny is a coach who believes in letting his players shoot shots they think they can make and tries to give them the confidence to do it. Obviously that has hurt us at times this season (Andre in the Xavier game, and every other time he has taken 10 shots) but I don't think it's necessarily wrong to encourage guys to shoot when they get open looks. I think it's part of the reason that Hawk is such a willing shooter even on the nights where the efficiency isn't there.

Sanogo is shooting 40% from three over the course of the season, if they're going to sag off of him and give him space to get a good look in rhythm, that's turning into a good thing for us. I agree I don't necessarily want him shooting 10 a game though

Reaction Score
Like Alleyne who went 1-6 or Calcaterra who went 0-2? As much as I defend Andre, I’d be okay with him getting fewer minutes but unless they slotted Karaban down to the 3 and played either Johnson or Clingan up front, there aren’t better overall options than Andre.
But that’s the point….. there are better options, play DC more than AJ and you win more games , it’s that simple. He out rebounds him, out defends him ( blocks or alters shots), out scores him, requires one and sometimes two players to guard him freeing up the other talented offensive players to do their thing offensively. When they doubled DC they were playing 3 on 4 defensively against the rest of the team vs 5 on 4 when Jackson is in there. It’s not complicated and it shouldn’t be for our 4 million dollar a year coach but it is apparently over his head. He not putting the team in the best possible position to win games. I played at South Catholic high in Hartford under the legendary coach Joe Reilly and our assistant coaches were Gary Palladino ( U of H) and Dom Perno ( UConn ) and any of the 3 including Perno we’re better in game coaches than Hurley. They did more with less consistently because of game prep and in game adjustments. We played Calvin Murphy in a tournament game, and they played every defense possible, man to man, various zones, double teams , help defense and box and one and box and two. They didn’t keep playing a style that didn’t work, they strategized every possible defense to slow him down including slowing the pace to limit possessions ( no shot clock ). The goal is to win the game not be stubborn or egotistical or a lunatic madman unwilling to make changes until it’s too late.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Agree with Danny- my tweet from in game yesterday:

Pick and pop was generating our best looks (outside of AJ). Kalks close outs were not hard enough to warrant Adama’s pump and gos. He had the space to shoot and should have.

We had the right line up to win. Creighton scored twice from the field in the last 12 min of the game.

All game long they struggled to get into their offense. If it wasn’t for Trey Alexander hitting 3 really tough contested shots for 8 pts, we win this in a walk. Give me those guys on Friday in msg.

Reaction Score
He's not really mad.

He said it in the presser. He could have have said I wish he shot another couple of threes. Don't make "mad" mean anything it doesn't. He also explained why he said it. He felt it would have drawn Creighton out to the line and opened up the middle more.

Hurley was actually giving Sanogo a compliment. He was saying Sanogo picks things up so fast he is becoming a three point threat and that he wants him to be even more confident with his shooting.

But this was an excellent bit of trolling by the OP.

Reaction Score
But that’s the point….. there are better options, play DC more than AJ and you win more games , it’s that simple. He out rebounds him, out defends him ( blocks or alters shots), out scores him, requires one and sometimes two players to guard him freeing up the other talented offensive players to do their thing offensively. When they doubled DC they were playing 3 on 4 defensively against the rest of the team vs 5 on 4 when Jackson is in there. It’s not complicated and it shouldn’t be for our 4 million dollar a year coach but it is apparently over his head. He not putting the team in the best possible position to win games. I played at South Catholic high in Hartford under the legendary coach Joe Reilly and our assistant coaches were Gary Palladino ( U of H) and Dom Perno ( UConn ) and any of the 3 including Perno we’re better in game coaches than Hurley. They did more with less consistently because of game prep and in game adjustments. We played Calvin Murphy in a tournament game, and they played every defense possible, man to man, various zones, double teams , help defense and box and one and box and two. They didn’t keep playing a style that didn’t work, they strategized every possible defense to slow him down including slowing the pace to limit possessions ( no shot clock ). The goal is to win the game not be stubborn or egotistical or a lunatic madman unwilling to make changes until it’s too late.
Appreciate your comments but have to disagree with the “it’s as simple as that” comment. What about matchups? So you are saying that you play Clingan at SF with Sanogo over Jackson against a team that is playing one big? In a scenario when Clingan would be guarding a guy 6’6” SF who can step out and hit a three and also drive to the basket? Coaching is never that simple…..I did not play college basketball but have coached many years. With Jackson, you have to weigh what he gives you as far as his defense, his ball handling, energy and leadership and on the other side his limitations on offense….not “that simple” when being a coach.

Reaction Score
He's not really mad.

He said it in the presser. He could have have said I wish he shot another couple of threes. Don't make "mad" mean anything it doesn't. He also explained why he said it. He felt it would have drawn Creighton out to the line and opened up the middle more.

Hurley was actually giving Sanogo a compliment. He was saying Sanogo picks things up so fast he is becoming a three point threat and that he wants him to be even more confident with his shooting.

But this was an excellent bit of trolling by the OP
I get where he was going with it but how about for once he just take a little blame on himself? I wouldn't care if we lost to Creighton because they were better than us, but it's the way we go about losing.

I would say that while I've sometimes questioned his in game coaching, I've never been in the fire Hurley camp. I've been rooting for UCONN since the 80's. My son is in school there now. Doesnt matter who was coaching, JC, KO or DH, all I want is to see them win.

Sorry you were offended by my take on the quote and the opinion I offered but I can assure you the last thing I was doing was trolling. Apparently many others get where I was going with it.

Reaction Score
Somebody might want to point out to Hurley that the reason Sanogo would need to take more 3s is because he kept Jackson floor much too long in the 2nd half. I know he wanted Kalkbrenner out of the paint so Newton or Hawk could drive, but they didn’t, mostly because even then Jackson’s defender was a straight help defender in the paint.

There’s one reason we lost and Hurley looks at it in the mirror. Yes, the guys needed to be better, but he hamstrung them.
Yep. The scary thing is Hurley also said he wanted Jackson taking more "rythm" threes that he was turning down. We have issues at the top.

Reaction Score
Devil’s advocate…

While there were many other ways to win the game much easier than Sanogo launching more threes, he made the most threes in the game and shot the highest percentage other than Trey’s 2-3 and Diarra’s 1-1

shrug

Reaction Score
He’s shooting 40% from 3, if he’s getting open looks, like he was yesterday he should be taking them. There was several he did pass up on. The context of the quote was answering a question about Adama improving so much from 3 and he responded by saying yea he’s improved so much he should take even more. In yesterdays game absolutely right.

Reaction Score
Newton recently had 12 assists against a good team. Surely he can feed Jackson on the low block, who would then demand the attention of a defender. He could either expose a mismatch or hit a cutting Hawkins or Karaban. If not, Sanogo is open at the top of the key...splash!

I'm feel like we have the weapons, we just need proper spacing and flow to use them.

Reaction Score
Seems pretty clear to me that Danny is a coach who believes in letting his players shoot shots they think they can make and tries to give them the confidence to do it. Obviously that has hurt us at times this season (Andre in the Xavier game, and every other time he has taken 10 shots) but I don't think it's necessarily wrong to encourage guys to shoot when they get open looks. I think it's part of the reason that Hawk is such a willing shooter even on the nights where the efficiency isn't there.

Sanogo is shooting 40% from three over the course of the season, if they're going to sag off of him and give him space to get a good look in rhythm, that's turning into a good thing for us. I agree I don't necessarily want him shooting 10 a game though
Maybe not 10 a game every game, but last night ten wouldn't have offended me based on how well he was shooting and how much CU was laying off him.
One of our problems has been adjusting to what is happening in any particular game. Yesterday's game was an example of one in which we didn't fully take advantage of what CU was giving us. As others have said, if AS continues to shoot and make three's in the second half the lane opens up for better shots from the guys who were struggling to score.

Reaction Score
Early in the telecast, FOX listened in on the CU huddle and Greg McDermott said they are taking the shots we want them too, if they keep doing that we will win this game. Guess what he was dead right and UConn played right into his strategy.

Maybe Jackson should come off the bench as a spark plug like he did earlier in the year when we rolled every team we played by double digits? I'd love to know what Samson Johnson did to get exactly no minutes - let him get some of Jackson's minutes.

Reaction Score
Early in the telecast, FOX listened in on the CU huddle and Greg McDermott said they are taking the shots we want them too, if they keep doing that we will win this game. Guess what he was dead right and UConn played right into his strategy.
Exactly this. We are 1-6 against Creighton. McDermott yet again dictated the game strategy and Hurley is upset that we didn't play more into his strategy.

caw

Reaction Score
I mean, Danny is right? Sanogo pumped on at least 2 threes in the second half and tried to then drive into the lane where he got doubled and had to pass out to “reset the offense.”

But, Alleyne hitting the rim, or Jordan/AK getting up more shots would have been beneficial too.

4 on 5 offense is tough man.

This is the purest example of a game where you need 4 out 1 in offensive style of play. Jackson cratered that efficiency today. It affected Sanogo AK and Newton dramatically.

This is the most accurate take I've seen on this quote. It's all about context.

Hurley wanted him shooting when he was open from up top instead of pumping on Kalkbrenner who was in the paint when Sanogo received the ball (and probably five feet away when he pump faked) and driving into a player who was already back in defensive position. It's not a wrong take by Danny. A wide open three from a guy shooting 40% on the year who had hit a good number in the game is better than driving on a 7-footer who (because of Jackson's man) usually had a second player in the lane.

In regards to McDermott, if he wants Sanogo shooting and is going to give him the shot, Sanogo has to take it. He's shooting it too well this year to not. And if that's the shot they want, it appeared to be bad strategy for them. Sanogo really only took one bad three all game and that was the one he rushed at the end of the game.

Jackson taking shots, that's another story.

Reaction Score
Yikes. Sanogo is the last player he should be mad at. Also expecting a low volume shooter to keep up his percentages when they were now guarding him on the arc is silly. Many reasons we lost, Sanogo not shooting more threes is not one of them
Probably tongue in cheek. Probably a dig at his true 3 point shooters.

Reaction Score
That's exactly what Hurley meant , as I just watched the post game press conference. Since AS was given the space by Kalk and was converting those 3s, Hurley thought that AS should have taken a few more . That is all.
What a buffoon. He should have played Clingan more than 7minutes, and while Sanogo is trying to hit 3’s you would think a smart coach would’ve put Clingan in to grab any offensive rebounds.

Reaction Score

Starting at 4:10...doesn't sound like a joke to me

After watching that, I'm convinced it's sarcasm. There are a lot of people that don't get sarcasm. I know I use a lot of it.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
That's exactly what Hurley meant , as I just watched the post game press conference. Since AS was given the space by Kalk and was converting those 3s, Hurley thought that AS should have taken a few more . That is all.
And he was right.

Andre should've too. Andre missed again early and then didn't even shoot with people off him 15 feet. He shouldn't have shot more today, he should've just traded 1/2 his shots for the right shots. When Andre gets spooked, its not good obviously. And he got spooked after a few misses. When that happens, he ends up taking worse shots then missing wide open 3's.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom