no Uconn for X? [Merged Thread] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

no Uconn for X? [Merged Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree and I didn't mean to imply that at all. We know she's struggling with her decision, but we don't know why. We know that UConn took the step of withdrawing after conversations with her parents and her HS coach. It sounds like UConn's withdrawal will free her up to make the decision she really wants to make. That's just a guess on my part.

She is the Queen Bee in high school. At UCONN she is afraid she would simply be a worker bee.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Geno made the decision for her is what I got out of it. Now she can choose the best school for her without any pressure. Good for him and good for X. Now focus on somebody else.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
2012-13 Roster

Doty
Hartley
Dolson
Faris
KML
Stokes
Banks
Johnson
Engeln
Jefferson
Stewart
Tuck

You're kidding right?

Have any of those kids ever played USA Basketball? i.e. in an international tournament wearing a USA Jersey?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Have any of those kids ever played USA Basketball? i.e. in an international tournament wearing a USA Jersey?

Without going to double-check, I think that those with Team USA experience include:

Bria
Stef
KML
BStewart
Tuck

Stokes also when you include 3-on-3

Reaction Score
Kiah was also on the inaugural U-16 team. Faris (U18 & U19), Dolson (U18 & U19), Hartley (U18 & U19, KML (U16, U17, & U19), Stokes (U16), Stewart (U16, U17, U19, & Pan-Am), Tuck (U17 & U19 - Morgan made thee U16 team, but tore her ACL during trials) are the players that have played on on a full USA Basketball team in an international tournament. Caroline Doty and Heather Buck played in the final Youth Developmental Festival with Heather also participating in trials for the U18 and U19 teams. Jefferson has participated in the trials the last two years, almost making the U19 team. Johnson, Banks, and Englen are the only players that don't have experience playing in Colorado Springs.
Without going to double-check, I think that those with Team USA experience include:
Stokes also when you include 3-on-3

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Obviously husky99 could have checked the board and found that we already knew about this, but he obviously thought he had a breaking story and had to pass it on. I can imagine the feeling. But Wonkster, it didn't warrant that level of sarcasm.
Coulda been worse: could've made a "Shan" reference!:)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
i think Mercedes decision will be between Tennessee and UW ..

Do you have access to inside information or is your opinion based the information available to others who follow such things (message boards, hoopgurlz articles, twitter, etc)?

Reaction Score
Do you have access to inside information or is your opinion based the information available to others who follow such things (message boards, hoopgurlz articles, twitter, etc)?

no just an opinion

Reaction Score
She is the Queen Bee in high school. At UCONN she is afraid she would simply be a worker bee.
Dangerous thoughts around these parts, pardner. You may get stung by some drone.

HGN

Reaction Score
2012-13 Roster

Doty
Hartley
Dolson
Faris
KML
Stokes
Banks
Johnson
Engeln
Jefferson
Stewart
Tuck

You're kidding right?
I think GA and CD looked at this roster and knew that with, or without, the X-Girl, that they would have an OUTSTANDING roster and team , and a great chance at a NC.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Doty
Hartley
Dolson
Faris
KML
Stokes
Banks
Johnson
Engeln
Jefferson
Stewart
Tuck

Something else to think about. Add Diamond the following season and Sierra the next season and thats a pretty intimidating roster. Now I know they havent committed yet and they can change their minds but they are both very strong leans towards UConn.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If Buck returns next year, and the assumption is that she intends to, UConn will have 13 players. It's a tremendously deep and talented team, and it was unlikely that Xylina was going to play significant minutes in 2012-13. However, I wanted her because Geno and CD did. That simple.

In the future, the 2013 class has huge talents that UConn will agressively pursue, as does 2014. UConn will be fine. I hope that Xylina ends up have a successful undergraduate career by whatever measures she uses to define the term "success".

Reaction Score
Good post;) How do I put a name under the picture? Also what is the criteria for what lind of member you are? There was at least one thread on this the other day. My name is Ira. LOL is that pe:rolleyes:rmitted

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

Sorry, but most of the top players are the "queen bees" in high school. In the case of certain players from states where top-tier basketball talent is not abundant, this is even moreso. Kalana Green comes to mind. She was the do-everything player for her high school in South Carolina, yet came to UConn, was never the #1 option, and managed to blossom in her role (and went on to have a WNBA career).

As an aside, and this is my outsider opinion, I think Geno seems to be a little "gun shy" regarding players who are not 100 percent committed to being at UConn. After having Delle Donne leave and McCormack not show up, I think Geno wants kids who have no doubts about their decisions. If Geno withdrew the scholarship offer, it would make sense. There is no need to have a player on the team who does not want to be there. It is best for the individual player, her teammates, the player's family, the coach, and the program.

While some on other boards may paint this situation as a harsh one or use it to impune Geno's character (or use it as further evidence to disparage Geno's character), what seems harsh in the short term is no doubt the best thing for the player herself.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
As an aside, and this is my outsider opinion, I think Geno seems to be a little "gun shy" regarding players who are not 100 percent committed to being at UConn. After having Delle Donne leave and McCormack not show up, I think Geno wants kids who have no doubts about their decisions.

Jackie Gemelos
Kia Wright
Liz Sherwood
Elena DelleDonne
Jess McCormack
Samarie Walker

The loss of some of those players hurt UConn in that their commitments deterred others from looking seriously at the Huskies. Like Cam, I don't blame Geno for being gun shy.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sorry, but most of the top players are the "queen bees" in high school. In the case of certain players from states where top-tier basketball talent is not abundant, this is even moreso. Kalana Green comes to mind. She was the do-everything player for her high school in South Carolina, yet came to UConn, was never the #1 option, and managed to blossom in her role (and went on to have a WNBA career).

As an aside, and this is my outsider opinion, I think Geno seems to be a little "gun shy" regarding players who are not 100 percent committed to being at UConn. After having Delle Donne leave and McCormack not show up, I think Geno wants kids who have no doubts about their decisions. If Geno withdrew the scholarship offer, it would make sense. There is no need to have a player on the team who does not want to be there. It is best for the individual player, her teammates, the player's family, the coach, and the program.

While some on other boards may paint this situation as a harsh one or use it to impune Geno's character (or use it as further evidence to disparage Geno's character), what seems harsh in the short term is no doubt the best thing for the player herself.

Agree completely. I'd also mention Samarie Walker. No need to go through the issues that led to her departure, but the bottom line is that she didn't want to be in Storrs and knew that when she arrived in July of last year. The memory of that experience is very fresh and Geno wanted to avoid a repeat of that at all costs. It seems like Geno and his staff saw some red flags during Xylina's visit that caused them to move from wanting Xylina to commit to being concerned she might commit for the wrong reasons. Geno wasn't going down that road again.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Jackie Gemelos
Kia Wright
Liz Sherwood
Elena DelleDonne
Jess McCormack
Samarie Walker

The loss of some of those players hurt UConn in that their commitments deterred others from looking seriously at the Huskies. Like Cam, I don't blame Geno for being gun shy.
Not at all and he has said as much.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Obviously husky99 could have checked the board and found that we already knew about this, but he obviously thought he had a breaking story and had to pass it on. I can imagine the feeling. But Wonkster, it didn't warrant that level of sarcasm.

It's just sort of a boneyard tradition... generally you get a whole string of similar historic headlines... hopefully no offense was taken.

Reaction Score
Coach Auriemma's entire recruiting philosophy can be found in Chapter Five of his book, Geno - In Pursuit of Perfection. His philosophy was on full display in this instance.

JS

Reaction Score
As an aside, and this is my outsider opinion, I think Geno seems to be a little "gun shy" regarding players who are not 100 percent committed to being at UConn.
And with good reason, as you well stated.

Maybe even double-barrelled gun shy: "McDaniel has also not yet qualified academically for freshman eligibility, though that does not appear to have been a factor in UConn’s decision to back off."

Some of us, recalling the tortuous recruitment of Gillian Goring, may wonder if it was a factor.

Also, one would think this factor points to SC as a destination rather than NC, which is more academically demanding .

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
"Some of us, recalling the tortuous recruitment of Gillian Goring, may wonder if it was a factor."

I hear she's reporting to campus come January.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
"Some of us, recalling the tortuous recruitment of Gillian Goring, may wonder if it was a factor."

I hear she's reporting to campus come January.

just in time to witness a few beatdowns by the good girls in blue .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom