no Uconn for X? [Merged Thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

no Uconn for X? [Merged Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am not surprised by this and in fact,it may work out very well for us! Geno obviousely,liked X and went as far as we could go. We have 13 kids for 2012! The bigs we have are anything,but chopped liver:p We wanted a Big and have an offer for Reimer #4,Mavunga is on our list, and we know that Russell was visited by CD at her school approx 11 days ago. We move on and wish X the best of luck. In 2013 we lose Caroline,Faris,and Buck.
We have offers to DD #3,Reimer #4,and I suspect we will pursue a guard and a Big. I saw X as a luxory for 2012 with "ALOT" of competition for playing time,in both 2012 and 2013.Since we could not take the father;),we move on to 2013!
RE Bria Holmes.we are just fine at the 3 and going after Elite players who can play that position along with existing players KLM** and others who who can play the 3.
2012-13 Roster

Doty
Hartley
Dolson
Faris
KML
Stokes
Banks
Johnson
Engeln
Jefferson
Stewart
Tuck

You're kidding right?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sounds like she couldn't pull the trigger and Geno has said several times he wants players that WANT to come to UConn. She just wasn't sure, so they pulled out.

I don't disagree, but what you said makes it sound a lot more self-serving than I think it really was. Her inability to pull the trigger was a red flag to be sure. And you're right that Geno only wants kids who know they want to come to UConn. But based on the statements by her AAU coach, this was also a case of adults helping a kid by, in effect, saying no for her.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I don't disagree, but what you said makes it sound a lot more self-serving than I think it really was. Her inability to pull the trigger was a red flag to be sure. And you're right that Geno only wants kids who know they want to come to UConn. But based on the statements by her AAU coach, this was also a case of adults helping a kid by, in effect, saying no for her.
I'm thinking that was just a byproduct of UConn pulling out. Either way, it's best for both player and institution.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Holmes would likely have been attached to the pine,

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It sounded as if Xavier would have chosen UConn. Xylina's mother, like a lot of mothers, may have wanted her daughter closer to home. Like some kids, Xylina is struggling with the decision. Best wishes--Dawn Staley or Sylvia Hatchell? Both are pretty good choices.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
best of luck to Xylena. she has to make the best decision for herself. i hope she ends up at UNC...

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
im glad she's staying close to home in whatever school she decides going to.

I agree MarieM!

This is NOT a surprise to me at all. I have been saying all along that I expected her to either end up at UNC or SC.....
If she wants to play inside her freshman campaign she may end up at South Carolina ( where here HS team mate is also going) because they dont have much size. Time will tell, but good luck to Xylina.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
How about peripheral ramifications? Future recruits get the message that if they want to play in Storrs, they had better not pussyfoot. Perhaps they shouldn't take that message, but it would not be unexpected.

That, for UConn, could be good or bad. Might get a kid to make up her mind sooner -- or might get a kid to commit prematurely, thus setting the foundation for another SW - EDD - JG misadventure.

BTW, just to throw in a different perspective: I don't know Xylina and don't care one way or another what now happens to her, no more no less than I care what happens to the salutatorian in the local high school, which is, basically, zilch.

Reaction Score
hopefully she ends up in south carolina dawn will do a good job with her.

Reaction Score
For those of us who easily forget, I added the year below ...

2012-13 Roster

Doty SR
Faris SR
Buck SR
Hartley JR
Dolson JR
Johnson JR
Engeln JR
KML SO
Stokes SO
Banks SO
Jefferson FR
Stewart FR
Tuck FR

Reaction Score
This does make guards a priority for the following class -- 2013/4 will have Hartley, Engeln, Banks, Jefferson, and sorta KML + frosh.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This does make guards a priority for the following class -- 2013/4 will have Hartley, Engeln, Banks, Jefferson, and sorta KML + frosh.
The guards for 2013 include Jannah Tucker and Karlie Samuelson. JT lives near Baltimore. Her favorit players are Michael Jordan, Diana Taurasi, and Maya Moore. She wears #23.

Nice balance for 2013 would be:

Guard: Jannah Tucker

Big: Taya Reimer

Wing: Diamond DeShields

That would be another superlative recruiting class.

For 2014, Sierra Calhoun, Breanna Turner, and one other.

I think a true 5 is needed too. Add a Mercedes to 2013. :)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
can Geno take the game against College of Charleston back and schedule someone else? :p

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
This pretty much says it all.

“From what I understand they talked to her high school coach and talked to her mom,’’ Wiley said. “Her dad is who I get the majority of my information from right now and basically he said he called up UConn and they said we decided to make it easy for Xylina since she was struggling with her decision and withdrew themselves from consideration.

“I think when they say that she’s struggling with making her decision … She’s a kid that doesn’t like to let people down. She’s just a very good kid. Recently, she said she was tired of the recruiting process and wanted to go ahead and make her decision. And then when I asked, `What’s your decision?’ She said, `I don’t know.’ So that will give you an idea. I kind of get the feeling that she wants people to back out and not have to make that decision. And I get feeling that’s exactly what UConn did.’’

A great kid who couldn't sort it out and figure out how not to disappoint. Emotionally similar to some other situations in the past. UConn made the decision for her and took her off the hook. Mutually agreed that UConn doing this was the best, including most importantly the best for her. Makes complete in view of her Dad's earlier comments.

Reaction Score
It is unfortunate that UCONN fans will not see Xylina play basketball. She will be a great player wherever she chooses to play. I'd rather her pick be clear and confident than to play at a school for 3 years then leave her senior year to another school.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Obviously husky99 could have checked the board and found that we already knew about this, but he obviously thought he had a breaking story and had to pass it on. I can imagine the feeling. But Wonkster, it didn't warrant that level of sarcasm.

Reaction Score
X factor has now become No-factor. Indecisive, it was best that she took her talents & moved on.

Reaction Score
Many kids making the college decision are confused and conflicted. How far away do they want to go? How much will they miss their family and friends? Are they independent enough to make it so far away from the support system they have known their entire life? It is all the more complicated for those kids who have not just the expectations of their families, but those of coaches, teammates and fans on their shoulders.

Having been on both sides with one child who went far away from home to college and one who stayed more local, I can tell you that both of them would have been miserable had they made the same choice their brother did. Strangely enough, I always thought each kid would make the opposite decision. So much for what a parent knows!

Geno has seen too many times what happens when a kid is conflicted in their choice. My impression is that Geno respects X and thought a lot of her as both a player and a person. He made the decision to back out both to help make her decision easier and also to avoid another disruption to the team with a player whose heart may not be 100% committed to UConn and may ultimately transfer. It is a win-win for both Geno and X.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Loving that roster. I predict an NC...I think when Geno made that cocky statement that was supposedly tongue in cheek, that it wasn't. He meant it. Of course, all this is barring injuries....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom