No threads on the HS playoffs? | The Boneyard

No threads on the HS playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
This would be a 20 page topic in PA, OH, or the south. It looks like Conard is losing to Norwalk in the 3rd (21-7). Hall is up on Newtown 22-14 (Go Warriors!). NWCatholic is up on North Branford 22-19. Windsor won and Glastonbury got smoked by Xavier. I don't know if anyone in LL can play with Xavier.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
So much for Hall's lead. 21 unanswered by Newton. 36-22, Hall is losing at home in the 4th.

Reaction Score
You beat me to it. Just got back from the downpour in Ansonia where the kid from Waterbury, Newsome ran wild. 300+ Way too much speed, but he's the real deal for his adopted hometown. UCONN could use him for sure.

While our boys from Bethel had a tough night my alma-mater took a step forward as Norwalk beat Conard. I should have stayed on 84 until West Hartford for that one. Terrible stafrt times and terrible weather, but can't wait for Saturday against Xavier. Hopefully a shorter bus trip for them this time pleeze!

BTW: CIAC has a twitter site not bad if u can't make the games or need updates from your phone.

http://twitter.com/#!/ciacsports

Reaction Score
Ansonia 35, Bethel 6

Haha! That's funny. Newsome did grow up in Waterbury but he lives in Ansonia now. Ansonia was too big, too strong, and too fast for Bethel. Newsome carried 26 times for 291, 3TDs. He didn't play the 4Q. Ansonia lead 35-0 at the half. Bethel score with 3 minutes remaining against Ansonia JVs. Newsome has over 3,000 yards rushing and 53 TDs on the season.

Reaction Score
Ansonia 35, Bethel 6

Haha! That's funny. Newsome did grow up in Waterbury but he lives in Ansonia now. Ansonia was too big, too , too fast for Bethel. Newsome carried 26 times for 291, 3TDs. He didn't play the 4Q. Ansonia lead 35-0 at the half. Bethel score with 3 minutes remaining against Ansonia JVs. Newsome has over 3,000 yards rushing and 53 TDs on the season.

Funny? Did I say something that wasn't true? Gave hime credit, and the blocking is good. Maybe nobody can stop him but they rely on one guy to get it done. Just happens to be a real stud (from Waterbury since you hate that so much).

Reaction Score
They are a one trick pony every year. They run the football. It's no surprise...it's been that way in Ansonia for over 100 years. Bethel found out Ansonia is not New London. And they couldn't stop that one trick pony. No need to fret, not many teams can. It's easier said then done. Ansonia did throw a TD pass in this game though.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I saw that Windham Tech had a game tonight. I got out of the high school game 3 years ago, but I can't even imagine what has happened to put them in a playoff game.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
norwalk is back from the dead

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I don't think any team ion CT can beat Xavier. They are well coached and have a tough one two punch with D'Amato and Mastroianni at running back.

Saturday should be a good day of football

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
In a win...Cochran was 7 for 24 for about 140. 7 for 24???

Reaction Score
This would be a 20 page topic in PA, OH, or the south. It looks like Conard is losing to Norwalk in the 3rd (21-7). Hall is up on Newtown 22-14 (Go Warriors!). NWCatholic is up on North Branford 22-19. Windsor won and Glastonbury got smoked by Xavier. I don't know if anyone in LL can play with Xavier.
If Xavier played in the FCIAC they would not be undefeated right now, maybe one loss or two, and to win the CIAC LL they need to beat Norwalk which has the best defensive front in the state and then might have to play Staples who should get by Newtown. Not saying Xavier isn't the best team in the state, but if they played all season in the FCIAC against teams like Staples, New Canaan, Ridgefield, Norwalk, Greenwich, and Darien, that tends to take a toll on a team by the end of the season. That's why FCIAC teams rarely win the state poll even though the league from top to bottom is by far the toughest in the state, they just beat up on each other during the reg season and don't fair as well in the state playoffs. You also have to wonder if upstate politics had anything to do with Ridgefield playing Staples in the 1st round. I know a lot of people down this way were upset about it.

Reaction Score
In a win...Cochran was 7 for 24 for about 140. 7 for 24???
It happens. It's no excuse but the weather absolutely sucked for Masuk's passing game. But, I give credit to North Haven's defense on this one. No one gave them a chance in this game and they hung with Masuk throughout. It's the playoffs, there are no ugly wins. Just survive and advance.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
couple fciac players to watch

nick kelly(staples)-kid plays all over. i can see him in 2 years being at uconn playing db/saf.
hakem atkinson(norwalk)- a olb that will see schools heat up on him this offseason i think

Reaction Score
If Xavier played in the FCIAC they would not be undefeated right now, maybe one loss or two, and to win the CIAC LL they need to beat Norwalk which has the best defensive front in the state and then might have to play Staples who should get by Newtown. Not saying Xavier isn't the best team in the state, but if they played all season in the FCIAC against teams like Staples, New Canaan, Ridgefield, Norwalk, Greenwich, and Darien, that tends to take a toll on a team by the end of the season. That's why FCIAC teams rarely win the state poll even though the league from top to bottom is by far the toughest in the state, they just beat up on each other during the reg season and don't fair as well in the state playoffs. You also have to wonder if upstate politics had anything to do with Ridgefield playing Staples in the 1st round. I know a lot of people down this way were upset about it.

Hogwash. Listen I live in FCIAC country, and Xavier's schedule this year has been as tough as any team in the FCIAC and they won each contest in convincing fashion. The FCIAC has their fair share of good teams (as you mentioned) but the SCC groups their best teams into Div 1 while the 2nd tier teams go in Div 2 - SCC division 1 schedules are as tough as any in the state. The FCIAC doesn't schedule the same way - Out of the best teams in the FCIAC this year - Staples, Norwalk, Greenwich, New Canaan, Ridgefield - if Xavier were in the FCIAC they might play 2-3 of those teams. Out of any of the top FCIAC teams this year I don't know of one that had a tougher schedule than Xavier.

FCIAC teams have their shot at #1. Last year's #1 team, Xavier, owned Trumbull (FCIAC) in the LL title game.

Reaction Score
Hogwash. Listen I live in FCIAC country, and Xavier's schedule this year has been as tough as any team in the FCIAC and they won each contest in convincing fashion. The FCIAC has their fair share of good teams (as you mentioned) but the SCC groups their best teams into Div 1 while the 2nd tier teams go in Div 2 - SCC division 1 schedules are as tough as any in the state. The FCIAC doesn't schedule the same way - Out of the best teams in the FCIAC this year - Staples, Norwalk, Greenwich, New Canaan, Ridgefield - if Xavier were in the FCIAC they might play 2-3 of those teams. Out of any of the top FCIAC teams this year I don't know of one that had a tougher schedule than Xavier.

FCIAC teams have their shot at #1. Last year's #1 team, Xavier, owned Trumbull (FCIAC) in the LL title game.

I completely agree. The FCIAC is as weak, this year, as it's ever been. Furthermore, the scheduling in the FCIAC is atrocious. The "heavy weights" play 3 games against top tier teams annually. This season New Canaan (3-1) and Ridgefield (2-2) are the only teams in the FCIAC to have played 4 top tier teams. As Boots mentioned, the SCC D1 scheduling is brutal. Here a statistical look at the top FCIAC teams schedules versus Xavier, Ansonia, and Masuk's schedules, for arguments sake.

Greenwich played 6 <.500 teams, 3 winless, 1-2 vs. >.500 teams
Staples played 4 <.500 teams, 1 winless, 1-1 vs. >.500 teams
New Canaan played 5 <.500 teams, 1 winless, 3-1 vs. >.500 teams
Norwalk played 5 <.500 teams, 2 winless, 2-1 vs. >.500 teams
Ridgefield played 4 <.500 teams, 1 winless, 2-2 vs. >.500 teams
Stamford played 6 <.500 teams, 2 winless, 1-2 vs. >.500 teams
Darien played 5 <.500 teams, 2 winless, 1-2 vs. >.500 teams

Xavier played 3 <.500 teams, 0 winless, 5-0 vs. >.500 teams
Ansonia played 4 <.500 teams, 0 winless, 6-0 vs. >.500 teams
Masuk played 6 <.500 teams, 1 winless, 3-0 vs. >.500 teams

Xavier played, arguably, the toughest schedule in the state and was absolutely dominant. Half of a teams wins in the FCIAC are against teams with records that are either .500 or below. The FCIAC teams are not beating up on each other every year. That argument falls on deaf ears. The scheduling in the FCIAC helps the good teams get into the playoff and when they lose it's not because they beat each other up during the season. It's because they're losing to better teams.

If all works out, it looks like Xavier will have a chance to prove itself versus the FCIAC's best. I wouldn't bet against Xavier in either game.

Reaction Score
With all due respect kris and Boots, you guys don't have a frkin clue. All your home cookin stats won't make a cake, OK. Name the last time an SCC team with 2 or 3 losses won a CIAC championship, never, but it has happened several times with FCIAC clubs. Why do you think SCC teams like Xavier or Valley powers like Ansonia never play OOC games against FCIAC powers? Reason, because they don't want to risk that 1 loss and a ruined unblemished season.

Reaction Score
I'm normally making an argument for the FCIAC (these things are cyclical anyway), but this year - if I had to do a top 10 my top FCIAC team would be Staples at #5, behind Xavier, Masuk, Ansonia and Hand.

Reaction Score
With all due respect kris and Boots, you guys don't have a frkin clue. All your home cookin stats won't make a cake, OK. Name the last time an SCC team with 2 or 3 losses won a CIAC championship, never, but it has happened several times with FCIAC clubs. Why do you think SCC teams like Xavier or Valley powers like Ansonia never play OOC games against FCIAC powers? Reason, because they don't want to risk that 1 loss and a ruined unblemished season.

Actually I get out and see a lot of games, know a bunch of coaches. I do have a clue, and like I've said I normally defend the FCIAC but for you to say this Xavier team would have a couple of losses if they were in the FCIAC is ridiculous. I'm not a fan of any particular conference, I'm being objective. Xavier gets to play one of the FCIAC's best on Saturday. We'll find out how tough FCIAC teams this year are, that is if Norwalk isn't too tuckered out from their tough schedule.

Reaction Score
I'm normally making an argument for the FCIAC (these things are cyclical anyway), but this year - if I had to do a top 10 my top FCIAC team would be Staples at #5, behind Xavier, Masuk, Ansonia and Hand.
I'd pick New Canaan with Milano healthy but that being said, Staples or Norwalk will give Xavier all it can handle. Don't get me wrong, Xavier's got a great club this year but they play in a weaker conf. Ridgefield, Staples, New Canaan, Norwalk all made the CIAC playoffs, and the only reason one of them lost was because Ridgefield had to play their game against Staples. I would have loved to have seen Xavier/Ridgefield but the upstate powers that be played politics. I will agree, this is not the FCIAC's best year but I still think Xavier at the very least is severely tested and could lose. I know several FCIAC coaches as well, played HS football with two of them.

Reaction Score
Regular Season

Norwalk (8-1)
vs Danbury (4-5) W 20-14
vs Stamford (7-2) W 25-12
vs Westhill (0-10) W 42-13
vs Trinity Catholic (3-7) W 26-7
vs New Canaan (9-1) L 14-28
vs Ridgefield (8-2) W 27-12
vs Harding (2-7) W 42-20
vs Ludlowe (0-10) W 30-14
vs McMahon (3-7) W 17-0

Xavier (10-0)
vs Notre Dame (WH) (8-2) W 36-7
vs Foran (3-7) W 48-0
vs Cheshire (5-5) W 42-20
vs Amity (4-6) W 49-7
vs Fairfield Prep (5-5) W 35-0
vs Shelton (8-2) W 27-6
vs Hillhouse (7-3) W 35-7
vs Hamden (1-9) W 56-7
vs West Haven (7-3) W 47-22
vs Middletown (6-4) W 48-6

So if we were to give Xavier Norwalk's schedule you don't think they'd be as successful? that's not exactly a murder's row there. 3 opponents with a .500 or better record?

Reaction Score
I'd pick New Canaan with Milano healthy but that being said, Staples or Norwalk will give Xavier all it can handle. Don't get me wrong, Xavier's got a great club this year but they play in a weaker conf. Ridgefield, Staples, New Canaan, Norwalk all made the CIAC playoffs, and the only reason one of them lost was because Ridgefield had to play their game against Staples. I would have loved to have seen Xavier/Ridgefield but the upstate powers that be played politics. I will agree, this is not the FCIAC's best year but I still think Xavier at the very least is severely tested and could lose. I know several FCIAC coaches as well, played HS football with two of them.

What does that mean?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I forgot they don't play anyone during the season. Man those on the Gold Coast have a very high opinion of the FCIAC. I know Notre Dame of West Haven, West Haven, Cheshire to name a few.
You do realize that it is a point system they go by in who plays who in the first round. It is no conspiracy against the FCIAC.

Reaction Score
Regular Season

Norwalk (8-1)
vs Danbury (4-5) W 20-14
vs Stamford (7-2) W 25-12
vs Westhill (0-10) W 42-13
vs Trinity Catholic (3-7) W 26-7
vs New Canaan (9-1) L 14-28
vs Ridgefield (8-2) W 27-12
vs Harding (2-7) W 42-20
vs Ludlowe (0-10) W 30-14
vs McMahon (3-7) W 17-0

Xavier (10-0)
vs Notre Dame (WH) (8-2) W 36-7
vs Foran (3-7) W 48-0
vs Cheshire (5-5) W 42-20
vs Amity (4-6) W 49-7
vs Fairfield Prep (5-5) W 35-0
vs Shelton (8-2) W 27-6
vs Hillhouse (7-3) W 35-7
vs Hamden (1-9) W 56-7
vs West Haven (7-3) W 47-22
vs Middletown (6-4) W 48-6

So if we were to give Xavier Norwalk's schedule you don't think they'd be as successful? that's not exactly a murder's row there. 3 opponents with a .500 or better record?
You can't compare in conference records as though they were absolutes. That's just crazy home cookin. I mean is 4-6 Amity better than Danbury, Warde, or Trumbull? No way. I also think if Greenwich or Darien played in the SCC this season, both would have made the playoffs. I will say that Xavier probably beats Norwalk but against Staples, I don't know.

Reaction Score
I forgot they don't play anyone during the season. Man those on the Gold Coast have a very high opinion of the FCIAC. I know Notre Dame of West Haven, West Haven, Cheshire to name a few.
You do realize that it is a point system they go by in who plays who in the first round. It is no conspiracy against the FCIAC.

Yeah I know that, just trying to stir the pot, sorry. Nice catch though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom