2025 Recruiting: - Niko Bundalo Update | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Niko Bundalo Update

Reaction Score
Giacubeno did tell Zanetto "There's not a scenario where they get both" Reibe and Niko-- they will say no to Niko on Wednesday if Reibe commits. I don't get it, since they play different positions. Giacubeno called it "a "crazy lineup" to contemplate playing both at once, but
Bundalo is a true "stretch big" like Pau Gasol and Porzingis, and Reibe a traditional center. These types can play together effectively--think Duncan/Robinson, Giannis/Lopez. A big 4 to replace Karaban might be good--he had 8 rebounds last night.
I feel like Bundalo is kind of a Franz Wagner type, while Reibe is more in the mold of Gasol/Porzingis you described.

Reaction Score
Would love to see the chess piece a Bundalo/Reibe combo could bring as a pure 5 along more of a 4/5, as you could rotate Bundalo into the 5 along with playing with Reibe in a big stretch lineup. Now that would be fun. But as someone mentioned, PT may just be hard to come by for all with Isiah, Tarris and Stew back. I love this kids tenacity and versatility. We’ll likely see where all lands in the next week with him after the Reibe commit.

Reaction Score
Giacubeno did tell Zanetto "There's not a scenario where they get both" Reibe and Niko-- they will say no to Niko on Wednesday if Reibe commits. I don't get it, since they play different positions. Giacubeno called it "a "crazy lineup" to contemplate playing both at once, but
Bundalo is a true "stretch big" like Pau Gasol and Porzingis, and Reibe a traditional center. These types can play together effectively--think Duncan/Robinson, Giannis/Lopez. A big 4 to replace Karaban might be good--he had 8 rebounds last night.
That doesn't make any sense. Watching clips of both you can see they are different types of players. Reibe is clearly a 5 who plays close to the basket but can step out and knock down 3s, while Bundalo is more of a face the basket 4, more similar to Karaban, who moves well with and without the ball and can take it to the basket or knock down Js. Bundalo has okay size to give you some minutes at the 5, but doesn't look like a 5.

They would fit well together here at UConn.

Last edited:

awy

Reaction Score
the 750k-800k range seems like the going rate for rank 15-30ish recruits going to elite programs that have developmental pedigree. i don't think it's financially prohibitive to add one more guy of this kind of upside. hopefully they'll work something out.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand why ppl can’t see Bundalo & Reibe playing together they compliment each other very well … both can shoot & pass I think Bundalo has the higher motor & will be better defensively but with Karaban & johnson gone I don’t see why UConn can’t bring in both especially with the scholarship expanding plus I believe will have a player transfer out next year (unfortunately)

Reaction Score
I don’t understand why ppl can’t see Bundalo & Reibe playing together they compliment each other very well … both can shoot & pass I think Bundalo has the higher motor & will be better defensively but with Karaban & johnson gone I don’t see why UConn can’t bring in both especially with the scholarship expanding plus I believe will have a player transfer out next year (unfortunately)
It's not that people here can't see them playing together, it's that UConn has publicly said 2 guards and 1 big for this class. And beyond that, there's a finite number of minutes

Reactions: DCT
Reaction Score
Reibe is not a traditional center lol.

Traditional centers don't do stuff like this as high school juniors:
Eric-Reibe-shooting.gif

Reaction Score
It's not that people here can't see them playing together, it's that UConn has publicly said 2 guards and 1 big for this class. And beyond that, there's a finite number of minutes
Could be true. But Dan is still recruiting him and apparently we lead for him and Furphy

Reactions: awy
Reaction Score

Eric-Reibe-shooting.gif

I watched 5 of his games and this DMV live one. Other than 3s, he does pretty much exclusively play like a center. Most of his time in the paint, rebounds, putbacks, etc. This shotnwas kind of an anomaly... mayne a late shot clock thing.

Reaction Score
Hopefully that's the case, we'll see if we keep recruiting Bundalo once Reibe commits
Bundalo knows we're recruiting Reibe and it hasn't stopped him from expressing his interest in UConn and playing with him if it can happen.

Reaction Score
Bundalo knows we're recruiting Reibe and it hasn't stopped him from expressing his interest in UConn and playing with him if it can happen.
Yes, the reports are that UConn doesn't want both, not that Bundalo doesn't want to on his end. And until tomorrow UConn won't know for sure if they have Reibe in the fold

Reaction Score
UConn has said this publicly, or, is it that Acaden Lewis reportedly said that was told to him privately by UConn during his recruitment and you are counting that as public? And the reports we will not pursue Bundalo after a hoped Reibe commitment is really the opinion of the MD 24/7 guy correct? Is there anything else? I can't imagine not wanting a guy like Bundalo if we could get him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn has said this publicly, or, is it that Acaden Lewis reportedly said that was told to him privately by UConn during his recruitment and you are counting that as public? And the reports we will not pursue Bundalo after a hoped Reibe commitment is really the opinion of the MD 24/7 guy correct? Is there anything else? I can't imagine not wanting a guy like Bundalo if we could get him.
I guess I'm using public loosely but Darius Adams said it in his commitment interview, then Colby Giacubeno said it on a podcast, then Trilly said the same thing on his discord.

I hope they're all wrong and we get both, but there's enough smoke that I don't think it can really be dismissed as nonsense. Especially when it lines up with what our roster is looking like for next year. This staff is always going to weigh the impact of these decisions on returning players like we saw with Koby Brea and Aidan Mahaney

Reaction Score
I feel like Bundalo is kind of a Franz Wagner type, while Reibe is more in the mold of Gasol/Porzingis you described.
I don’t see it. Wagner is a wing with great passing and ball handling ability almost a point forward not a 7’ stretch 4 that can block shots. Chris Boucher jumps to mind but I’m sure I could think of a better comp. Lauri Markannen if he played D? Jaren Jackson if he could shoot? Poor mans chet holmgren?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I watched 5 of his games and this DMV live one. Other than 3s, he does pretty much exclusively play like a center. Most of his time in the paint, rebounds, putbacks, etc. This shotnwas kind of an anomaly... mayne a late shot clock thing.
"Other than 3s" is kind of a big handwave. That by default makes him non-traditional. Watch his Germany U18 Albert Schweitzer tournament games, specifically. He's picking and popping all over the place. I don't think his high school coaches used him well (or to give them credit they just optimized to using him as huge because in high school he is). Jacob Furphy played in the same tournament and Reibe made more 3s per game than Furphy did over 6 games. And Furphy shot 44%.

He does also drive the ball a lot for a center. I don't know that I'd go so far as @superjohn that he's a face up center, but he CAN face up and drive, with good touch. The other non-traditional thing he does is he loves to grab the rebound and then start the break himself like a point center. Not sure he'll do that much at UConn, but still fun.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I guess I'm using public loosely but Darius Adams said it in his commitment interview, then Colby Giacubeno said it on a podcast, then Trilly said the same thing on his discord.

I hope they're all wrong and we get both, but there's enough smoke that I don't think it can really be dismissed as nonsense. Especially when it lines up with what our roster is looking like for next year. This staff is always going to weigh the impact of these decisions on returning players like we saw with Koby Brea and Aidan Mahaney
Was quoted by Lewis in an interview that the UConn staff told him 2 guards and 1 big was their goal. I believe Adam’s was quoted as publicly recruiting all three of three after his commit. Has been pretty clear that Mullins and Reibe have been priorities based on how much travel the staff has put in to see them recently. Have heard very little of that with NB. To me says that all in on Reibe, would have pivoted to NB if Reibe went elsewhere.

Reaction Score
thinking stew will be back as a junior so there's just no room for bundalo and that says a lot. hurley grabs a 3rd string G in the portal and we are fully reloaded for 25-26:

Mahaney / Nowell
Ball / Adams
Mullins / Ross
Stew / Abraham
Reed / Reibe / Singare

Reaction Score
thinking stew will be back as a junior so there's just no room for bundalo and that says a lot. hurley grabs a 3rd string G in the portal and we are fully reloaded for 25-26:

Mahaney / Nowell
Ball / Adams
Mullins / Ross
Stew / Abraham
Reed / Reibe / Singare
Is McNeely a lock to go based on what you’ve seen? A kid prized for his shooting launched some serious bricks against URI. I’m sure a lot of nerves and he’ll straighten it out, but did not see anything that resembled a lottery pick yesterday. Was a bit of a matador on defense, so if he isn’t an assassin from 3 this season as he’s figuring things out on a deep roster, does he 100% go in a loaded draft class?

That’s why they play the games!

My sense is the staff is gonna keep it more on the minimal side for now to see how the season plays out as a lot of variability in potential scenarios. And there is always the chance of grabbing a kid in the spring, like we did with McNeely, or just waiting for the portal.

Reaction Score
Nobody from UConn has said that & it’s barely any reliable speculation that say UConn wouldn’t take both

Reaction Score

Mahaney / Nowell
Ball / Adams
Mullins / Ross
Stew / Abraham
Reed / Reibe / Singare
Scouts are gonna be all over Ball this season.

Reaction Score

Eric-Reibe-shooting.gif
I attended a few of Marcus Camby's Hartford Public High School games and he barely missed a shot in warm-ups from anywhere on the court including threes. Then he went to UMass and Calipari turned him into a rebounder and shot blocker. He had a good NBA career, but he was much more than what Calipari reduced him to. I think the game has evolved since those days.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom