2025 Recruiting: - Niko Bundalo Update | Page 15 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Niko Bundalo Update

Reaction Score
It is all about the player's perspective. If Furphy or Bundalo value being challenged to the max at practice to develop their game vs. in game playing time right away, come they will.

The cream will come to the top, and maybe they will win out and get decent playing time. Those Kentucky and Duke and UCLA teams historically had great players sitting until their turn came.

I think the talent level of Furphy and Bundalo will get them playing time in their first year.

Bledsoe for Kentucky had relatively few in game minutes, but was drafted and did well in the NBA.
Eric Bledsoe played 30mpg his freshman yr at UK

JerseyAlum

St. Anthony's Fan; UConn tennis alum
Reaction Score
Dan has said that 12 is a good number for roster spots. If AK goes than we'll be right at 12 with current commitments. I do want Furphy and Bundalo though.
I think that was 12 when 13 was the max. He liked to have an empty seat in the form of +1 scholly available. Now that 15 is the new 13, I suspect it's either 14 or 13 will be his good number.

Reaction Score
I think that was 12 when 13 was the max. He liked to have an empty seat in the form of +1 scholly available. Now that 15 is the new 13, I suspect it's either 14 or 13 will be his good number.
No I think it was 12 regardless. At least 12 recruited players. For playing time and player development in practice.

Reaction Score
That would be very shocking to me. The reason he wanted 12 previously was because going any higher meant too many guys looking for minutes. That doesn't change now that the limit is 15

Reaction Score
It is all about the player's perspective. If Furphy or Bundalo value being challenged to the max at practice to develop their game vs. in game playing time right away, come they will.

The cream will come to the top, and maybe they will win out and get decent playing time. Those Kentucky and Duke and UCLA teams historically had great players sitting until their turn came.

I think the talent level of Furphy and Bundalo will get them playing time in their first year.

Bledsoe for Kentucky had relatively few in game minutes, but was drafted and did well in the NBA.
Furphy feels a lot more redundant after we picked up Adams and Mullins, but he might be willing to come on just to be part of the establishment and to be a longer term depth piece. At minimum he’ll know what he’s capable of and have the chance to win, and have eyeballs on him.

Bundalo is a very unique piece as a very tall and skilled 4. This is probably what most of us are so excited about. What would it look like having a Reibe and him on the floor simultaneously look like? What can the staff do with that? I know I’m intrigued.

These kids are going to Duke for the same reason - not a lot of guarantees on time there either. They just want to be part of something that feels “special”. And in the day of the portal there isn’t nearly as much downside to testing yourself and if it doesn’t work out, you have options.

My only question will be how many spots the staff wants to reserve for the portal. If you jam up the roster with frosh you’re limited.

Our class is ranked 2 now, but if we stop here I suspect we’ll ultimately be behind Ark, Duke and UK, who aren’t done yet and at the top of the list for some big names. UK likely lands Lewis and a top 4 to go along with JJ and Moreno, Ark gets Thomas and a top 4 to go along with Acuff, and Duke still in the mix with kids like Henderson/others. These are the other recruiting machines out there right now.

Torres is a blowhard. I rarely learn anything listening to him. He just shouts stuff that we know already. That dude is spread way too thin to have any real tentacles. He’s just scrubbing the web for the same stuff and throws in his occasional speculation based on what’s out there.

Reaction Score
Maybe DH is worried about roster crowding; another possibility is uncertainty on the UNC end of things. They want one forward, and may still be dreaming about Dybantsa (real long shot); almost certainly they prefer Caleb Wison, although he's leaning Kentucky. So Niko is their Plan C, and he may be waiting for clarity from Davis.

Reaction Score
If Bundalo wants to be here and the staff actually decides they are going to pass on taking a commitment this fall, that says to me that they are on the fence whether Liam will be back or not. This year we have 9 guys competing for 4 spots. With Alex & Liam to the nba, we would again have 9 guys for 4 spots if we took Niko. I don't see any issue unless they feel there is a significant chance we have Liam as well as everybody else. I have been corrected repeatedly that there is no issue with having enough NIL to spread around to so many unicorns, but being slow to learn, I don't ignore that as a possible factor also.

I find it hard to see where Furphy fits now as a 6th backcourt player, especially since I want a clear path to bring in Rippey in 2026.

Very impressed with the staff in this cycle that has clearly cemented us as the team others don't want to see recruiting against their targets, and the team that kids covet an offer from.

Reaction Score
If he sticks around, he’s starting 3.

Literally we will be the force of the ocean. We just keep hitting you wave after wave with force. Our 9# guy is better than you sixth man

Mahaney Nowell Adams
Adams Mullins
Stewart Mullins
Abraham Bundalo
Reed Reibe Singare
Ball? Ross?

Reaction Score
But McNeeley is likely gone and who knows if Solo or Stew break out. We'll almost certainly need another player or two... The question is will there be another freshman or will Dan wait and hit the portal when he knows who's likely leaving? Either way, we're in great position to fill out an already loaded roster.
Also, let’s be honest, Karaban is almost assuredly going to go pro. Even still, if he and Liam go, coupled with Diarra and Samson being out of eligibility, the 3 guys who have committed wouldnt fully replace those 4. But I can see Hurley being done for the fall and reevaluating after the season to take a late commit like Liam or a portal guy or two.

Reaction Score
But McNeeley is likely gone and who knows if Solo or Stew break out. We'll almost certainly need another player or two... The question is will there be another freshman or will Dan wait and hit the portal when he knows who's likely leaving? Either way, we're in great position to fill out an already loaded roster.
With the new rules it doesn’t matter if Bundalo commits. If the roster is too crowded in the spring then he reopens his recruitment…ala McNeeley!

Reaction Score
If Bundalo wants to be here and the staff actually decides they are going to pass on taking a commitment this fall, that says to me that they are on the fence whether Liam will be back or not. This year we have 9 guys competing for 4 spots. With Alex & Liam to the nba, we would again have 9 guys for 4 spots if we took Niko. I don't see any issue unless they feel there is a significant chance we have Liam as well as everybody else. I have been corrected repeatedly that there is no issue with having enough NIL to spread around to so many unicorns, but being slow to learn, I don't ignore that as a possible factor also.

I find it hard to see where Furphy fits now as a 6th backcourt player, especially since I want a clear path to bring in Rippey in 2026.
The issue is that this year there's 9 guys competing for 4 spots, but there's an easy sell on Isaiah Abraham being the odd man out and not getting minutes. With the 9 we'd have next season, I'm not sure who that guy who's happy not getting minutes is.

I would take Bundalo and just let things work themselves out in the spring with Ball or Stewart going pro, but that's an easier thing said than done. I think Furphy is an easier sell as a guy to come in and not expect minutes his freshman year

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Also, let’s be honest, Karaban is almost assuredly going to go pro. Even still, if he and Liam go, coupled with Diarra and Samson being out of eligibility, the 3 guys who have committed wouldnt fully replace those 4. But I can see Hurley being done for the fall and reevaluating after the season to take a late commit like Liam or a portal guy or two.
Would Alex stay for a shot at a 4th ring? (I know, I know :() It's never been done has it?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Do we have any knowledge about when Bundalo's decision will come? Whether that be specifics
as to day and time...or just any speculation based on something an insider has heard?

Reaction Score
Would Alex stay for a shot at a 4th ring? (I know, I know :() It's never been done has it?
If we win another, I have to imagine Alex comes back. That would be incredibly tempting. He'd have the opportunity to cement himself as the greatest (or at the least most accomplished) college basketball player of all-time. No man has ever won 4. He'd make the basketball hall of fame on college alone.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Agreed. BUT Hurley made it clear that at UConn you should be getting better every year. If you’ve been in the program it’s your job to make sure you’re good enough to beat out a freshman. Hurley has to continue to bring in new talent. It’s how you win back to back championships while losing 7 guys to the NBA.
That is an excellent point about getting the best out of your own talent and taking advantage of playing in this caliber of program. Reminds me of "Everyday Ray"
nickname. It starts when you get here.

Reaction Score

Very impressed with the staff in this cycle that has clearly cemented us as the team others don't want to see recruiting against their targets, and the team that kids covet an offer from.
A couple posters on OSU board claim Bundalo wants UConn but UConn backed off him. They also claim Michigan State backed off him. No clue if this is the case.

Reaction Score
If we win another, I have to imagine Alex comes back. That would be incredibly tempting. He'd have the opportunity to cement himself as the greatest (or at the least most accomplished) college basketball player of all-time. No man has ever won 4. He'd make the basketball hall of fame on college alone.
An NBA GM once said about upper classmen deciding to return to college, "the more we see them, the less we like them"...something like that.

If Alex were to improve incrementally and return for a 4th season, even if he earns some big NIL, it would probably hurt his draft value. The draft, especially the lottery pics, are often about potential. His perceived upside would likely be in question.

I seriously doubt he would return regardless the outcome.

I hope he shows solid enough improvement to get drafted in the first round, or at least a high second round pick.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Getting back to Bundalo, hopefully we'll hear more in the next week or so if UConn is still pursuing him or any other recruits. If UConn is done for the fall, I assume they'll keep tabs on any that would be a good fit that will wait till the spring, or could put their hat back into the ring, to see what needs might present themselves (i.e. current players that develop into likely NBA draft entries).

I think Bundalo is a great fit and would like him to be #4 in this recruiting class, but Hurley might prefer to keep a ship open for the portal to get a more ready to contribute player. And we don't even know if he sees UConn as a possible destination based on Reibe's decision and the likely array of returning players.

I don't think any of us really know what Hurley plans to do.

Reaction Score
A couple posters on OSU board claim Bundalo wants UConn but UConn backed off him. They also claim Michigan State backed off him. No clue if this is the case.
It’s a very weird recruitment - almost as if flags on him came through late stage, and no one is willing to pull the trigger if they have options. OSU and MSU signed alternatives. I can see the kid wanting UConn given his personality, but perhaps that’s not reciprocal. If you look at the kids the staff has signed to date, soft spoken mature kids that come off very coachable. Maybe Niko’s fieriness seen as disruptive and too much of a wild hair, who knows. I’m not holding my breath on this one, but if it does happen will know the staff made the right decision thinking through all proper due diligence.

Reaction Score
Of all the recruits we have been after, his videos looked the least impressive to me. Obviously, you can't tell much just from some highlight videos, and the kid is being recruited by us and is ranked that highly for a reason, but nothing really jumped out at me watching his highlights.... at least nothing that screamed day one starter/contributor. To me, he looked like a tall kid with some promise and perimeter skills that needs A LOT of development. Can he develop into something special? Sure! And if you're bringing him in with that mindset, great! But the 3 guys we got seem to me to be on a different level...they all look ready to contribute now. Bundalo's highlights just didn't give me that same feeling that the others' did. I fully acknowledge I haven't actually seen him play and I'll be excited if he comes here since if he does, it's because Hurley wanted him. I just don't see him making much of an impact here year one...and that's ok. Who knows though? Maybe others who have seen more of him feel differently. Maybe he's another Karaban.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No I think it was 12 regardless. At least 12 recruited players. For playing time and player development in practice.
The game has radically changed for UConn and Hurley since #2. Realizing they can get more elite recruits might have forced them to reconsider their roster strategy. If your annual investment was making you more money than you planned on, would you up the amount of your investment or stand pat?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom