2025 Recruiting: - Niko Bundalo Update | Page 16 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Niko Bundalo Update

Reaction Score
The game has radically changed for UConn and Hurley since #2. Realizing they can get more elite recruits might have forced them to reconsider their roster strategy. If your annual investment was making you more money than you planned on, would you up the amount of your investment or stand pat?
Great take. And if Hurley wants to remain on the perch and evolve to stay ahead of the sport, what’s his move? Sports are copycat leagues. If something is working, be confident the competition is watching and will try to duplicate. Winning the tourney is HARD, becoming “bullet proof” is HARD. So when you have the clout to get special kids, have to maximize.

Saw UKs shot chart from their scrimmage - basically looked like an Oats chart. This concept of spacing and taking 3s or layups is the new trend. Shooters and stretch bigs, position-less hoops is in. It’s why Nikos skillset is particularly interesting.

Reaction Score
Great take. And if Hurley wants to remain on the perch and evolve to stay ahead of the sport, what’s his move? Sports are copycat leagues. If something is working, be confident the competition is watching and will try to duplicate. Winning the tourney is HARD, becoming “bullet proof” is HARD. So when you have the clout to get special kids, have to maximize.

Saw UKs shot chart from their scrimmage - basically looked like an Oats chart. This concept of spacing and taking 3s or layups is the new trend. Shooters and stretch bigs, position-less hoops is in. It’s why Nikos skillset is particularly interesting.
How do you see Bundalo as a rebounder/defender?

Reaction Score
it depends on everyone's growth. Ross could be gone after this year.

Abraham could be winning playing time by this time next season. but we don't know what will happen yet
If Niko wants to come, how can you turn down a top 20 recruit? I say take that bird in the hand and then see where the roster shakes out. A lot can happen between end of next season and the start of the new one.

Reaction Score
I think furphy likes uconn alot he’s following every move they make & I believe he not bothered by not getting mins right away . Niko on the other hand is the more ideal option w/ karaban leaving he‘ll have a great path to playing time & with Michigan st & Ohio st recent commiments at his position & UConn being the much better option over UNC I can see him still considering UConn strongly if he stands by his quote about being uncomfortable & loving Hurley coaching style

Reaction Score
I would expect we'll be getting an indication through Dan's media availability events(in the near future) as to whether he's still "open for business" for any additional freshmen in the 2025 class. In the meantime-He's hyper-focused in getting the guys ready for Opening Night.

FWIW-I'm more optimistic than some re: the NBA future(s) of our sophomores -whenever it's their time.

Reaction Score
FWIW-I'm more optimistic than some re: the NBA future(s) of our sophomores based on the early season eye test
thats nice but hurley also wants his guys to come back unless theyre 1st rounders. then he'll push them out the door, and rightfully so. i think/hope both ball and stew can play themselves into 2nd round locks but opt to come back for their junior years and then play themselves into 1st round locks. like we expect Alex will. if alex and liam are projected 1st rounds and ball and stew are projected 2nd rounders after this season that means we probably 3peated.

Reaction Score
It’s a very weird recruitment - almost as if flags on him came through late stage, and no one is willing to pull the trigger if they have options. OSU and MSU signed alternatives. I can see the kid wanting UConn given his personality, but perhaps that’s not reciprocal. If you look at the kids the staff has signed to date, soft spoken mature kids that come off very coachable. Maybe Niko’s fieriness seen as disruptive and too much of a wild hair, who knows.
you really like making theories up- We've seen Hurley is clearly quiet in recruiting but you are hypothesizing late stage flags and "maybe his fieriness seen as disruptive". Based on ANYTHING at all or just trying to get your daily posting quota in lol?

Reaction Score
you really like making theories up- We've seen Hurley is clearly quiet in recruiting but you are hypothesizing late stage flags and "maybe his fieriness seen as disruptive". Based on anything at ALL or just trying to get your posting quota in lol?
It's along the lines of why the OSU posters say UConn and MSU backed off.

Reaction Score
It's along the lines of why the OSU posters say UConn and MSU backed off.
fair enough. So its based on nothing but other fans without a clue. If we did back off, its because of a number logjam, not some character flaw we just discovered. I don't like how we tend to stigmatize the recruits who dont come here

awy

Reaction Score
it's pretty small samples but he's also improved his shooting numbers every year. the upside here is substantial. above 40% on 3s and over 80% ft at western reserve, high percentage inside finisher as well. just thinking about their recruiting tendency recently, a kid like this should be middle of the target zone.

Reaction Score
you really like making theories up- We've seen Hurley is clearly quiet in recruiting but you are hypothesizing late stage flags and "maybe his fieriness seen as disruptive". Based on ANYTHING at all or just trying to get your daily posting quota in lol?
Was an “if” statement based on noise from other fan bases. Aren’t hypotheticals and paralysis by analysis what all sports radio shows are based on?

I just reached my daily quota with this post, so see you tomorrow. Fortunately I took typing in HS and can type like the wind.

JerseyAlum

St. Anthony's Fan; UConn tennis alum
Reaction Score
Bundalo coming or not doesn't move the needle much for me.

He's a 4/PF but I'm more concerned with the development of Abraham for the 4 (e.g., put on weight, backup AK this year or is he more of a 3 and behind the others?) but I don't even know if DH needs a true 4 in his system as ball handling, BKIQ, and rebounding are critical skills and he likes more shooter 4s than back-down-the-defender 4s * I think *. Maybe AK is just a special case for him, but it's an embarrassment of riches if Bundalo comes. Surely there's a decent PF waiting in the portal for next year.

Reaction Score
That is an excellent point about getting the best out of your own talent and taking advantage of playing in this caliber of program. Reminds me of "Everyday Ray"
nickname. It starts when you get here.
Didn’t DH say in one of his interviews, don’t come back the same player next year. U need to be better

Reaction Score
After getting Adams, Reibe & Mullins … could the staff make a hard push for Ament or Bundalo
Personally would rather Ament which would be insane not a slight to Bundalo which would also be great but getting Ament would be overkill
Ament is a special player that you can't compare to Bundalo. He would clearly want and get a lot of PT. I'm only guessing but Bundalo would more likely be okay with getting moderate to low PT as a freshman as a very good development player, though in Hurley's system PT is earned in practice and games.

As much as I like getting highly talented and advanced offense recruits, adding too many potential 1-and-done typed will impact the culture where developing most members of the roster for 2 to 4 years would be in jeopardy.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Stop the transfer speculation And stay on topic. The thread is about Bundalo, not your thoughts about who should or will need to be replaced in 2025/26.

it's absolutely unfair to any player to suggest they won't be welcome back once the season is over, or they'd be better off leaving.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Downside to most of the footage is it’s often focused on offense. But as a bouncy, tenacious and deceptively strong athlete at 6’10, you’d have to think great potential with the right coaching.
Yeah, I hear the word fierce used to describe him, and one poster said his "fireiness" might be an issue. I'll take fierce and firey all day for a guy his size. Couple that with what appears to be a very strong desire for 06269 as his next zip code, and whats to debate?

Reaction Score
Surely there's a decent PF waiting in the portal for next year.

With the loss of the COVID-year 5th or 6th year players (with man-strength and experience), the price for quality players is going to go way up. I would imagine a starting PF on a team with UConn's aspiration is going to be well over $1 million.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Bundalo coming or not doesn't move the needle much for me.

He's a 4/PF but I'm more concerned with the development of Abraham for the 4 (e.g., put on weight, backup AK this year or is he more of a 3 and behind the others?) but I don't even know if DH needs a true 4 in his system as ball handling, BKIQ, and rebounding are critical skills and he likes more shooter 4s than back-down-the-defender 4s * I think *. Maybe AK is just a special case for him, but it's an embarrassment of riches if Bundalo comes. Surely there's a decent PF waiting in the portal for next year.
Definitely agree with this. My desire for Bundalo is rooted in a vain pursuit for the #1 overall recruiting class coming off a 3peat. The world of college basketball and all it’s UConn haters and naysayers would have to bend the knee to Dan Hurley. The pressure on the coaching staff and those young stars to 4peat would be so immense(especially if Karaban, McNeeley, Ball leave early), and we just know they will step up to the plate with the hottest bat the sport has ever seen.

Mahaney/Nowell
Mullins/Adams
Stewart/Ross
Abraham/Bundalo
Reed/Reibe/Singare

Leaves room to be very particular with an impact transfer.

Reaction Score

And our staff combatted that with elite run protection to take the layups away along with long athletic defenders on the perimeter that ran shooters off the three point line. It’s all about getting the right personnel.

Reaction Score
Definitely agree with this. My desire for Bundalo is rooted in a vain pursuit for the #1 overall recruiting class coming off a 3peat. The world of college basketball and all it’s UConn haters and naysayers would have to bend the knee to Dan Hurley. The pressure on the coaching staff and those young stars to 4peat would be so immense(especially if Karaban, McNeeley, Ball leave early), and we just know they will step up to the plate with the hottest bat the sport has ever seen.

Mahaney/Nowell
Mullins/Adams
Stewart/Ross
Abraham/Bundalo
Reed/Reibe/Singare

Leaves room to be very particular with an impact transfer.

I also want Bundalo and think he would be the best fit, but all signs point to Furphy at this point.

Reaction Score
fair enough. So its based on nothing but other fans without a clue. If we did back off, its because of a number logjam, not some character flaw we just discovered. I don't like how we tend to stigmatize the recruits who dont come here

Remember when a week or so ago Mullins going to Indiana would illustrate maturity issues?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom