2025 Recruiting: - Niko Bundalo Update | Page 10 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Niko Bundalo Update

Reaction Score
I think if Bundalo tells Hurley he wants to go to UConn, Hurley will be fine working something out. Hurley is loyal to his players, but he found a way to get Newton, Spencer and Castle all drafted. He can find minutes for everybody, and it may become a situation where the practices are more beneficial in the long run to the players' success at the next level.

Reaction Score
Hyperbole aside, if Ross can’t get a sniff of the floor in his first two years, with guys in front of him and high recruits coming in, how in the world will he have a major role? One of the more surprising and incredible things to me, is how this staff convinced everyone to come back without losing anyone in the portal. With this current momentum and the talent that wants to play at UConn, I think that trend will be hardest to maintain. I am not suggesting it’s Ross(I agree he has upside) but there are kids on this roster who will most likely at some point get recruited over. Why? Because Hurley and this staff are in a sweet spot where they can get almost anyone they want.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
I don't see any issue at all in comparison to this year unless the staff only expects the nba to be interested in Alex.
Diarra replaced by Adams
Johnson replaced by Reibe
Alex replaced by Bundalo
Liam/or Ball/ or Stewart to draft replaced by Mullins
Nearly 90 minutes a game become up for grabs
Exactly this. No need for the Transfer Portal.

Reaction Score
I think if Bundalo tells Hurley he wants to go to UConn, Hurley will be fine working something out. Hurley is loyal to his players, but he found a way to get Newton, Spencer and Castle all drafted. He can find minutes for everybody, and it may become a situation where the practices are more beneficial in the long run to the players' success at the next level.
Yea Newton, Spencer, and Castle got drafted because they're very talented and played 30+ minutes(Castle did once he got past his injury and settled in) while 3-4 others sat and didn't play. That's the discussion we're having now where how many guys can you take on and at what level to where they're comfortable sitting out of the rotation for a year or 2.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yea Newton, Spencer, and Castle got drafted because they're very talented and played 30+ minutes(Castle did once he got past his injury and settled in) while 3-4 others sat and didn't play. That's the discussion we're having now where how many guys can you take on and at what level to where they're comfortable sitting out of the rotation for a year or 2.
Newton is incredibly underappreciated. Connecticut's triple double king, what did he have like 20 points in the national championship game? He was sneaky good. You think he had a decent game then look at the box score and realize how dominant he was.

Reaction Score
Based on what Hurley said, we’re expecting the next commit to be a guard/wing, correct?

Would Bundalo commit if Hurley guarantees a spot next year - someone leaves early or transfers?
We are expecting the next commit to be Mullins.

JerseyAlum

St. Anthony's Fan; UConn tennis alum
Reaction Score
Hyperbole aside, if Ross can’t get a sniff of the floor in his first two years, with guys in front of him and high recruits coming in, how in the world will he have a major role? One of the more surprising and incredible things to me, is how this staff convinced everyone to come back without losing anyone in the portal. With this current momentum and the talent that wants to play at UConn, I think that trend will be hardest to maintain. I am not suggesting it’s Ross(I agree he has upside) but there are kids on this roster who will most likely at some point get recruited over. Why? Because Hurley and this staff are in a sweet spot where they can get almost anyone they want.
Losing anyone? Portal out was Apostolos and Andre.

Reaction Score
Losing anyone? Portal out was Apostolos and Andre.
I mean...Andre Johnson Jr. was a walk-on. As much as I like the kid, you can't really count a walk-on as a portal "loss". Apostolos maybe, but he was the 11th man on the squad last year. I more think he is referring to guys that were in the rotation last year or were expected to be in the rotation this year.

Reaction Score
Based on how early Ross got PT in the exhibition game and what he did on the floor, I'd be shocked if he didn't get some spot solid minutes throughout stretches of the season and be a solid rotation player next season.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but he'll be here for the duration of his college career before he gets drafted at some point.

He's long, quick, solid handle, not afraid to attack the paint and can knock down 3s. All he needs is to get stronger, fill out some, PT, consistency where he continues to make plays while cutting down the TOs. I think he's got some BBIQ, but time will tell.

As recruits come in, he'll have enough experience to carve out PT, even if more heralded recruits and/or transfers enter the program. He'll stave them off enough.

If Hurley continues with the current process where he brings in a couple of productive and experienced transfers that fill needs if needed, a new group of talented recruits that fit the system and continue to retain the non-1-and-doners, those who work hard and gradually earn minutes will eventually get solid PT and a significant enough of a role to maximize their talent and capabilities that put them in solid NBA draft position.

I don't think there have been many rosters where almost all of them could end up drafted. Of the current roster, Singare and Diarra are two that I'm not so sure about. Diarra is probably just too small for the modern NBA. Singare might have come in too raw and inexperienced to develop enough, though if he's here all 4 years, who knows. Maybe he'll devep into a better player than most expect.

I'm not sure about Johnson. He's an exceptional run and jump athlete, that could play himself into the 2nd round, but his lack of bulk, deep shooting and perceived upside might be more in line for being an undrafted free agent.

Reed is a mistery to me still. He looks like a slightly more athletic Sanogo type big. The dig on him has been his tendencies to lack focus, effort and decision making, well according to one podcast that I wondered was suspect. There were times early in the exhibition where he seemed passive. He got out hustled for a long rebound that 8 felt he should have battled for, but Hurley got through to him where he had a stretch during the game, I think in the second half, where he showed signs of dominance inside. If he improves his skills, motor and processing, he has a chance to find himself hearing his name called. He has 2 seasons to get there.

All the others (Karaban, McNeeley, Mahoney, Ball, Stewart, Nowell, Abraham) seem to have a lot of game that Hurley will coach out of them, getting them to the league. Of them, Abraham will need to wait awhile for his turn, but he seems to have a great combination of size, strength and skill to get there, similar path as Ross that will take a little longer than the more ready to contribute recruits. For Nowell, it's just a matter of waiting his turn. He'll get some PT this season. He's just too good not to. Next year will be his time to shine.

Next season's roster might end up with more NBA drafted players than this season in light of who is coming in and who will be retained. Both are stacked for sure.

Reaction Score
We are expecting the next commit to be Mullins.
Word is that Mullins already signed and next week is just the announcement...

They still want Bundalo but it's up in the air still because they want him as a 4 but he wants to be a 5.

Reaction Score

They still want Bundalo but it's up in the air still because they want him as a 4 but he wants to be a 5.
I guess it’s fine if Bundalo wants to be a 5 since Reibe wants to be a 4 lol

Reaction Score
They go up to 15 as noted, but you don't need to have open scholarships anyway. I don't expect UConn to do it, but you can go over the limit with commits, someone just has to move on after the season before they enroll
With NIL does it even matter? They can afford to pay for school.

Reaction Score

I heard from his own mouth that his position is a 4

Reaction Score
I really hope that after Bundalo's announcement...we get a tweet from Reibe...

I'm happy Niko will be a **** Husky!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Sounds like the decision doesn't rest upon his getting a Bundelo NIL.

Reaction Score
We will lose players to the portal, there will be years that we don’t lose many and some were we lose one or two that will somewhat sting. To use one of Hurley’s words they will systematically decide who they need to recruit over each year to put the team in the best position compete for a chip every year.
There are going to be points where Hurley will kick kids out of the nest telling them they’ve done all they can to develop them, and now they need to go find PT. I’d think two years in the system is enough to instill the work ethic and script to keep it going elsewhere while getting the PT.

Surprised Bundalo is eager to play the 5, as highly unlikely to be his NBA profile. If the kid is willing to ride the pine for a year, year two could be perfect for him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yup and clear the staff know well in advance as to alert the social media team to make these kick @ss videos. Forget Trilly for the scoop, tap the social media team ;).
They each deserve a chance to shine, which is probably why the commitment announcements were about a week apart. Interestingly, Bundalo is said to likely be making his decision in the next couple of weeks. Perhaps a week or so after Mullins. That might mean nothing or might mean something time will tell.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom