Nika now most important player | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Nika now most important player

Reaction Score
I went back in your posts and if I'm not wrong, the bolded area seems to be your main point. My point mainly is that if Muhl handles a significant part of the PG duties, that is not good news for UConn to reach their highest potential this season (say FF). As I've said, using Fudd there is not ideal but TO ME it's the better alternative based on the reasons I've given. If Auriemma decides to go with Muhl, so be it, you'd be correct. I'm just saying that would not be my choice. And no, I'm not in Conn. :)
I go back and forth on this. With Nika at point we can play a lineup like Azzi and Caroline at sg and sf, and Aaliyah and Dorka at pf and c. This lineup makes sense, though it looks a little “plain vanilla.” It’s big across the front with 6’2” 6’3” and 6’5” and not too slow with Nika and Azzi at the perimeter. We can play some tough D with this lineup.

Similarly, we can play 4-or even 5-out with Nika at point, and we might not want to do that with Azzi at point. When I think about a lineup like Nika Azzi Caroline Lou and Aaliyah/Ice, I can’t help thinking how scary that would be for opponents. Not too small with 6’2” 6’1” 6’3” across the front, and a lot of quickness and lights out perimeter shooting.

We might be able to run a 4-out set without Nika for a little while. Azzi Caroline Lou Ayanna and Dorka/Aaliyah/Amari/Aubrey. We don’t lose much on offense with those shooters, and our D may be quick enough if Aubrey’s in.

But the plain vanilla lineup without Nika would probably be Azzi Caroline Lou Aaliyah Dorka. This looks like the main option with Azzi at point, and I think it could be really effective. It loses a little something in quickness, but on offense it will be formidable.

As I say, I think we can run various lineups without Nika. But they don’t strike me really better than the ones with her at point. And the fatigue factor means we need to have at least some minutes from her. I’d guess at least 20.

Reaction Score
Mühl has 2 years experience at UConn, has started games and while not a scorer by nature she made major contributions in both of her 1st 2 years. And we have Fudd, who is a 2 due to her prolific scoring abilities, not her shortcomings at the point and is perfectly able to play pg. Not her best spot nor UConn's best use of her but available. There are 100 posts of concern up to this one and it has been discussed elsewhere. And yet over on the non-UConn forum SCar fans seem perfectly OK with either a grad portal transfer or a redshirt freshman starting at pg. I'm following their lead.

OIP.CBWriNwSRa3Y-lL0EIskIQHaHa

If Mühl had been playing mop up minutes for 2 years there would be reason for concern but she was making valuable contributions as a freshman and now she's a junior. UConn is lucky to have such a good backup. An AA pg is coming next year. And another is coming back as a redshirt junior.

Reaction Score
Ah, thanks, that clarifies your position for me, it’s not exactly what I thought, and perhaps explains why this has dragged on.

Playing Fudd at PG to me is not a better option unless Muhl can’t stay in the game, or resists instruction. Fudd would be playing out of position for something she may not even be psychologically suited for, let alone her problematic A/T and sparsity of assists over all.

All along you’ve said that players have to earn things with Auriemma, yet you think he may give Muhl the major minutes even if that proves to be bad news? By logical inference that would mean Fudd would be even worse at PG, so he’s stuck with Muhl regardless. I’m a little more optimistic about both Muhl and Fudd to come to that conclusion, so I guess we agree to disagree at this point.
He may consider it earned if he believes she's made the necessary improvements and if he just doesn't want to move Fudd. But if he does to start the season, it may IMO turn out to be a short leash and then a job by committee. Looks like it could be an ongoing discussion.

Reaction Score
I go back and forth on this. With Nika at point we can play a lineup like Azzi and Caroline at sg and sf, and Aaliyah and Dorka at pf and c. This lineup makes sense, though it looks a little “plain vanilla.” It’s big across the front with 6’2” 6’3” and 6’5” and not too slow with Nika and Azzi at the perimeter. We can play some tough D with this lineup.

Similarly, we can play 4-or even 5-out with Nika at point, and we might not want to do that with Azzi at point. When I think about a lineup like Nika Azzi Caroline Lou and Aaliyah/Ice, I can’t help thinking how scary that would be for opponents. Not too small with 6’2” 6’1” 6’3” across the front, and a lot of quickness and lights out perimeter shooting.

We might be able to run a 4-out set without Nika for a little while. Azzi Caroline Lou Ayanna and Dorka/Aaliyah/Amari/Aubrey. We don’t lose much on offense with those shooters, and our D may be quick enough if Aubrey’s in.

But the plain vanilla lineup without Nika would probably be Azzi Caroline Lou Aaliyah Dorka. This looks like the main option with Azzi at point, and I think it could be really effective. It loses a little something in quickness, but on offense it will be formidable.

As I say, I think we can run various lineups without Nika. But they don’t strike me really better than the ones with her at point. And the fatigue factor means we need to have at least some minutes from her. I’d guess at least 20.

If the coaches see that the posts can shoot/make from the outside UConn could play stretches with only 2 guards. 10 minutes a game over the course of the season would help keep the guards fresh.

Reaction Score
And yet over on the non-UConn forum SCar fans seem perfectly OK with either a grad portal transfer or a redshirt freshman starting at pg. I'm following their lead.
I’m not. In fact, this is why I think SCar will have some tough games this year. They won a lot of games last year on D, and their O stalled especially when Henderson was out. They’ll be tough because their D will still be excellent. But pg is going to be a problem for them, make no mistake about it.

Yes, Nika has 2 years of D1 experience. But she’s not a premier pg unless she ups her offensive game. Now, I think she’ll do just that and we’ll see an improved Nina in the fall. But as always, here’s my mantra, “only time will tell.”

Reaction Score

Sounds reasonable. However, beyond PG, a bigger concern for me despite having the size will be the interior defense. I don't know if they have quality over quantity while waiting for the two freshmen to develop. Of course that's for a separate thread.

Reaction Score
He may consider it earned if he believes she's made the necessary improvements and if he just doesn't want to move Fudd. But if he does to start the season, it may IMO turn out to be a short leash and then a job by committee. Looks like it could be an ongoing discussion.

In 2021 Geno was forced to move Bueckers from her best position because of a lack of scoring. If Mühl can't handle the point he would be doing the same in reverse. Mühl is going to have to regress for that to happen.

Reaction Score
I’m not. In fact, this is why I think SCar will have some tough games this year. They won a lot of games last year on D, and their O stalled especially when Henderson was out. They’ll be tough because their D will still be excellent. But pg is going to be a problem for them, make no mistake about it.

Yes, Nika has 2 years of D1 experience. But she’s not a premier pg unless she ups her offensive game. Now, I think she’ll do just that and we’ll see an improved Nina in the fall. But as always, here’s my mantra, “only time will tell.”

2 years at UConn, playing meaningful minutes. She is less than Bueckers but so is everyone else.

She will have Bueckers to get her ready for every game and coaching her during games.

Reaction Score
SC has Raven Johnson, a former #2 prospect, coming in who looked solid in the little time she did get to play last year. And their transfer PG is also a proven commodity. I don't have a "problem" with Nika at PG. I'm just saying our best lineup probably has Azzi as the PG, Lou as the 2 and Caroline at 3. We clearly need Nika though and she probably even starts. The best area of improvement for this team, IMO, is cutting down the turnoves and I think Azzi generally makes solid decisions with the ball and can break down an opposing team off the dribble better than Nika.

Reaction Score
SC has Raven Johnson, a former #2 prospect, coming in who looked solid in the little time she did get to play last year. And their transfer PG is also a proven commodity. I don't have a "problem" with Nika at PG. I'm just saying our best lineup probably has Azzi as the PG, Lou as the 2 and Caroline at 3. We clearly need Nika though and she probably even starts. The best area of improvement for this team, IMO, is cutting down the turnoves and I think Azzi generally makes solid decisions with the ball and can break down an opposing team off the dribble better than Nika.
What you say is reasonable. I’d underline this:

“We clearly need Nika though and she probably even starts.”

We have 120 mins to fill at 1-3. We can’t do that with just Azzi Caroline and Lou. Apart from the question what’s the best lineup, etc., those three will not be able to play 40mins/g. It’s a question whether Lou will even be able to play 20 if her D isn’t up to it. I hope she is. And maybe Aubrey or Ayanna can cover a few minutes at the 3 though our scoring will suffer.

This is just arithmetic. I was about to say it’s just physics, lol. Even if Nika doesn’t improve at all from last year, we’ll still need some minutes from her, perhaps a minimum of 20.

Reaction Score
I believe Fudd’s A/T ratio was close to 1, perhaps below that. Muhl’s was about half a point higher, about the same as Westbrook’s. When was the last time Auriemma put his trust in a PG with a sub A/T ratio?

You can believe Fudd can be the PG based faith in her abilities, but the empirical evidence does not support her being a starting PG for a UConn quality team.

on Edit: I’ll reiterate this. It could be that Muhl plays a lesser role this year and we start a PG with a historical A/T below 1. But if that happens it is not a good sign for UConn.
Agreed! This incessant attempt to elevate Nika to a status she has in no way earned on the court has always been a great puzzlement! Yes! She is scrappy, energetic, and an effective defender! However, that’s about it. She is very ineffective on offense, a poor shooter, an average (at best) passer, and a woeful free throw shooter. Even so, I’m glad she’s on our team, but to picture her as “most important”, best (at anything), or somehow, indispensable to the overall success of our team would require ignoring most of the evidence at hand. Could she come back as a vastly improved player? Possibly, but I think it’s far more likely that she will have improved at a more modest level. If she can force the other team to actively guard her, improve her ast/to ratio, up her free throws to 70+, and reduce her predilection for fouling, I will be extremely happy.

Reaction Score
Lol. And Muhl’s own chaos, also with injury and adjusting to our style of basketball, is not a factor in her performance?

I get it. If UConn played truly positionless basketball across all five positions, Muhl would not be one of the five starters, and would not even be one of the five most important players, let alone most important player.

But PG is a specialized role even within the UConn system, which involves directing the offense with a minimum of mistakes. Muhl has been and will continue to be trained specifically for that role. No one else besides Bueckers was being trained for that, and if Bueckers was here this year, or with Arnold next year, you can bet Fudd would not be groomed for it.

I included your quote because in your objection to Muhl not being one of the most important you supported that with saying Muhl is not a better passer than Fudd. If true, the proof lies in your faith in Fudd’s abilities and not on what has been actually demonstrated. Making excuses for her ”chaos” does not suffice as real evidence in support of what you believe.

So once again, it may be that Muhl plays a lesser role this year while Fudd handles a significant part of the PG duties, but if that happens that is not good news for UConn. Any program would want to first and foremost to groom and keep giving experience to Fudd as a SG or playing “positionless,” with some amount of confidence she will be the best in the country in that role, allowed to blossom that way by continuing to use a person specifically groomed for PG in that position. If they can’t do that and have to use Fudd or anyone else in the PG role, destined to only be a temporary fix, that has both short term and long term consequences for the program.
I tend to agree that Azzi at SG would seem to be the ideal. However, I would also point out that we are talking about a player who has been favorably compared to Paige, a player I am increasingly convinced is the best I’ve ever seen play! While I don’t agree with that comparison, there is no doubt that Fudd is a truly gifted player. With Paige being injured relatively early in the off-season Fudd will have had three or four months to prepare for her new duties at the point. Given her talent level and the needs of the team, I believe we are going to be pretty impressed with her point guard play. The big thing we all need to pray/hope for is good health!

Reaction Score
I agree that Azzi could be a talented point guard. In fact, in ordinary circumstances I might want her at point even with Paige on the floor. But right now, we only have 4 potential guards, and if Azzi is the exclusive point guard, there is no role for Nika and then we’re down to 3 guards. That doesn’t seem like a sustainable situation. This means Nika will have to play point in order to have any minutes. Like the rest of us, I’m aware of her limitations. I hope she can grow out of some of them. But this where we are.

Here’s another way to think of it. Azzi reminds me of KML. She has a lot of the same skills, is not quite as tall but quite a bit quicker. KML could have played point — she was certainly capable of scoring off the dribble and passing. But it would have seemed strange to all of us to have her do so. With greater quickness and maybe better handles, Azzi would be even better at point, and circumstances are likely to force her to. But we will all feel the cost of not having her as free to shoot 3s.

Last edited:

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
To no one in particular:

PG is a specialized role even in the UConn system. As such it requires both tangible and intangible qualities.

Even when playing off guard Bueckers nevertheless compiles assists and minimizes turnovers, the same could be said for Taurasi. Fudd may prove to be an all time great in terms of talent and value to the team, but it’s already proven she is no Bueckers or Taurasi in terms of facilitating offense from the SG position. You would not think Moore should be considered for PG in a pinch, being great does not mean being great at everything. Nothing has shown to date that Fudd would be great at PG, at least not without some significant coaching.

I agree Muhl has some issues to overcome, and may or may not do so. But I entered this fray once people started faulting her passing, or elevating Fudd’s, as a means of questioning her importance, or whether she will be our PG. Neither the eye test nor the stats favor Fudd over Muhl in the passing department.

Furthermore, Muhl has prepared for the psychological/intangible aspects of being the PG for six years. Indeed, this may be why her assist related stats are so much better than Fudd’s, not because of talent, but because of all the grooming that is behind creating a good PG. Maybe with enough grooming Fudd could facilitate offense as well or better than Muhl, but on the other hand she may not have the right disposition. Anyone can see she does not have the same disposition as Bueckers to facilitate offense while Muhl, because of her years of grooming, does have that disposition.

”Average passer at best?” My Lord, there’s enough eye test material just from UConn to refute that, but I recommend watching some of her European footage. “Average passer?” wtf. Question her value or likelihood to be PG based on missed lay ups, foul shooting, hesitancy to shoot, or propensity to commit fouls. I agree there is plenty of material to work with. But taking her comparative strength and claiming it to be her weakness in comparison to Fudd is straight out of Propaganda 101. We get enough of that these days.

Lol, @Bone Dog , how is that as an impassioned plea for you?

Reaction Score
To no one in particular:

PG is a specialized role even in the UConn system. As such it requires both tangible and intangible qualities.

Even when playing off guard Bueckers nevertheless compiles assists and minimizes turnovers, the same could be said for Taurasi. Fudd may prove to be an all time great in terms of talent and value to the team, but it’s already proven she is no Bueckers or Taurasi in terms of facilitating offense from the SG position. You would not think Moore should be considered for PG in a pinch, being great does not mean being great at everything. Nothing has shown to date that Fudd would be great at PG, at least not without some significant coaching.

I agree Muhl has some issues to overcome, and may or may not do so. But I entered this fray once people started faulting her passing, or elevating Fudd’s, as a means of questioning her importance, or whether she will be our PG. Neither the eye test nor the stats favor Fudd over Muhl in the passing department.

Furthermore, Muhl has prepared for the psychological/intangible aspects of being the PG for six years. Indeed, this may be why her assist related stats are so much better than Fudd’s, not because of talent, but because of all the grooming that is behind creating a good PG. Maybe with enough grooming Fudd could facilitate offense as well or better than Muhl, but on the other hand she may not have the right disposition. Anyone can see she does not have the same disposition as Bueckers to facilitate offense while Muhl, because of her years of grooming, does have that disposition.

”Average passer at best?” My Lord, there’s enough eye test material just from UConn to refute that, but I recommend watching some of her European footage. “Average passer?” wtf. Question her value or likelihood to be PG based on missed lay ups, foul shooting, hesitancy to shoot, or propensity to commit fouls. I agree there is plenty of material to work with. But taking her comparative strength and claiming it to be her weakness in comparison to Fudd is straight out of Propaganda 101. We get enough of that these days.

That was me trying to be reasonable. As you can see, I’m not that good at it. But I’m glad to see some passion in your recent posts. Defend Nika!

Reaction Score
2 years at UConn, playing meaningful minutes. She is less than Bueckers but so is everyone else.

She will have Bueckers to get her ready for every game and coaching her during games.

Having Paige there to help Nika could be the X factor. Back in the dark ages when I played HS softball I would listen to my coaches but a lot of times it helped even more when a teammate pointed something out to me during a game- real time coaching as it were. The coaching staff can't see everything & Paige is incredibly smart and alert out there.

Reaction Score
Having Paige there to help Nika could be the X factor. Back in the dark ages when I played HS softball I would listen to my coaches but a lot of times it helped even more when a teammate pointed something out to me during a game- real time coaching as it were. The coaching staff can't see everything & Paige is incredibly smart and alert out there.
Plus Paige and Nika have that whole twins thing going. Twins often communicate in mysterious ways

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
To no one in particular:

Paige and DT are awful tall bars by which to measure any playmaking SG because each also managed to win Liberman Award as the best PG in the country. The PG position has evolved at all levels of basketball to a position which values scoring more than it does passing. Ari McDonald did not have a single assist in the Arizona FF game against UCONN, but she put up 26 points. Destini Henderson had 4 assist in the championship game and she also managed to put up 26 points. Hardly anyone talks about Stephen Curry assists numbers but he is a constant MVP candidate. Courtney Vandersloot has led the WNBA in assists in 5 of the last 6 seasons as was never in serious contention for a spot on the USA basketball national team. For UCONN specifically and among the players like Nika that who were restricted to playing the PG position only ( Jenn Rizzotti Sue Bird, Renee Montgomery, Moriah Jefferson, Crystal Dangerfield) were all double digit scorers as the UCONN starting PG.

So if I'm going to pick a side here I would side with Azzi as the starter because the PG position (all positions ) at UCONN requires you to do three major things (pass, defend & score ) at high levels. IMO Azzi does the "combination" of these three things at a higher level than Nika and should get the nod as the Starting PG. To be perfectly transparent for me it does come down to the scoring deficiency on the part of Nika, which is very hard for me to write because of how much I value defense.

If Nika's European passing efficiency is to be submitted as evidence of Nika's passing prowess then so should Azzi Fudd's time at USA basketball 9 (U19, U17, U16) where she was definitely utilized as a play making guard and finished among the teams leaders in assists. In 2021 at U19 Work Cup Azzi finished 3 on the team in assist behind Caitlin Clark and Te-Hina Paopao and ahead of Diamond Johnson.

One of the more confounding things regarding Nika ( see @Cuango last post) is the binary (full or empty) value proposition that is associated with Nika specifically when it regards her starting. The backup PG position is going to be an extremely valuable position for UCONN this season just as it has always been for UCONN for the past several years. Nika's value to the team does not go from 1 (full value) to 0 if she does not start. In fact I'd make the argument that because she is the only game changing perimeter defender on the roster ( with Aubrey recovering from surgery) Nika becomes more value to the team coming off the bench to cool down a hot shooter or change the defensive tempo of the game.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nika is my favorite Husky, so take anything I have to say with a grain of salt.

Nika has shot a little over 34% from three point range in both the 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 seasons. Last season, that percentage was better than the percentages for Christyn, Evina and Caroline. I recognize that those three probably took more contested three pointers, but still worth noting.

As I recall, in both seasons Nika has started slow but picked it up from three point range as the season went along, perhaps as her playing time increased. So I think I would like to see her get off to a quicker start from deep in the coming season and if so, she might get the percentage up to around 38%. I would take that.

It was clear to me from watching her warmup before games (I am a season ticket holder and always try to get there early) that she was working on her midrange game. Her movements were slow and deliberate, almost rehearsed, and it was clear that she had been following through on coaching she had received. She actually had some success from the midrange, not much but some, a little more than the previous year. I saw a video taken earlier this summer, I believe, where she was working on the midrange shots and she looked much more fluid, natural, and comfortable. I am hoping that she continues to progress in that area.

Introducing the three pointer has been an overall positive for basketball, I think, but it has been a negative in terms of players (many, not all) developing a midrange game.

I don`t know if that constant passing off the dribble drive is a European thing or not, but Anna Makurat was guilty of that as well. Nika is certainly capable of finishing at the hoop. I think it is a mindset more than anything else.

Geno certainly doesn`t need my advice, but I hope he would tell her to not worry if she misses a layup, a midrange jumper, or a three pointer. Or all three. You are my point guard, and I want you to take those shots in the flow of the offense. If you miss, you miss. That may help free her up mentally to take those shots.

On the defensive end, I think there will be nights when Nika finds herself in foul trouble. She will be aggressive, at times overly so, and on top of that the refs in WCBB call touch fouls on the perimeter all night while allowing felony assaults in the paint. We have to hope that she is able to stay on the floor in the biggest of games. I`m sure she is aware of this.

My larger concern is that her treating every defensive possession as Armageddon - diving and crashing into things and people after loose balls, rushing from 20 feet away to try and take a charge under the hoop, etc. - is going to catch up to her at some point. I found myself cringing and swearing under my breath at her for throwing herself in harm`s way last season more often than I can count. Difficult to tell the bull in the shop to be careful around the china - but I think she needs to protect herself more while still being Nika.

Something that (I think) has been overlooked in this thread but which I have observed - the offense works well when she is on the floor. Offenses can always get stagnant, but when she is on the floor there seems to be a lot of movement, and open shots are created. That is a benefit that goes beyond any deep dive analysis of her individual skills. Oh, and energy, there is that too, as in she has a whole lot of it and it is contagious.

If everything goes true to form, I would expect her to play about 28-30 minutes a game at the point guard position with Azzi playing more minutes than that, and probably playing the point much of the time Nika is on the bench.
I’m not sure what your definition of “picking it up” means in regards to three point shooting. Nika is hesitant to shoot and that was apparent throughout the season. Yes, there were 6 games mid season where she averaged almost 7 shots a game but there were many more where she has 1 or no shots all game.

I didn’t see the mid-range game either as 63% of Nika’s shots were three point attempts and the majority of the other shots were layups off steals or run outs.

My issue with Nika’s scoring is that there were many games this past season where the team was desperate for points but she just didn’t shoot. It appears to me she simply doesn’t have a scorer’s approach to the game, she is a pass-first guard. Geno telling her she needs to be more of a scoring threat publicly is great but there is no chance he hasn’t said it before, especially when the team was struggling offensively. Why do people think she can change who she is and how she’s played her entire life over one summer?

I absolutely hope that Geno can use his motivational magic and turn Nika into someone that can at least take 8-10 shots a game. I think Nika is important to the team’s psyche, an intangible that gives the team it’s energy. How wonderful it would be to see her become a more complete player and I’m rooting for her to do so. But as someone who’s tried to convince herself that I’m capable of giving up chocolate for the sake of my waistline for decades now, I’m leery of someone changing who they are.

CBB8F434-0ADF-41A0-A307-85A6C0102891.jpeg
CBB8F434-0ADF-41A0-A307-85A6C0102891.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m not sure what your definition of “picking it up” means in regards to three point shooting. Nika is hesitant to shoot and that was apparent throughout the season. Yes, there were 6 games mid season where she averaged almost 7 shots a game but there were many more where she has 1 or no shots all game.

I didn’t see the mid-range game either as 63% of Nika’s shots were three point attempts and the majority of the other shots were layups off steals or run outs.

My issue with Nika’s scoring is that there were many games this past season where the team was desperate for points but she just didn’t shoot. It appears to me she simply doesn’t have a scorer’s approach to the game, she is a pass-first guard. Geno telling her she needs to be more of a scoring threat publicly is great but there is no chance he hasn’t said it before, especially when the team was struggling offensively. Why do people thing she can change who she is and how she’s played her entire life over one summer?

I absolutely hope that Geno can use his motivational magic and turn Nika into someone that can at least take 8-10 shots a game. I think Nika is important to the team’s psyche, an intangible that gives the team it’s energy. How wonderful it would be to see her become a more complete player and I’m rooting for her to do so. But as someone who’s tried to convince herself that I’m capable of giving up chocolate for the sake of my waistline for decades now, I’m leery of someone changing who they are.

View attachment 78526 View attachment 78526
Exactly. And I'll add that a player this deep into their BB career who hasn't yet developed a mid range or pull up shot that many college guards developed in Jr. High, can come up with a good one over a few weeks in the summer to use against high level D1 competition without a good amount of specific shooting instruction. There's a feel and awareness of where the D is that takes a lot of time to acquire. It's not just mechanics being repeated.

Reaction Score
Given Paige’s injury, we are going to need Nika for sure. I noticed last year that Azzi was closely guarded though and that could well continue. I think she gets even more converage if people are not worried about Nika’s shot from the PG position. I’d almost make Nika a shooting guard as all she’s got is a 3 point shot. I’d put the ball in Azzi, Lou and Caroline’s hands and get the ball inside to our bigs. The last thing I want is for teams to slough off Nika and smother Azzi and Lou.

Reaction Score
In fact I'd make the argument that because she is the only game changing perimeter defender on the roster ( with Aubrey recovering from surgery) Nika becomes more value to the team coming off the bench to cool down a hot shooter or change the defensive tempo of the game.
I've wondered this same question, and see exactly the same thing about Nika. Her best moments seem to happen in the 3rd quarter and, to a lesser extent in the closing minutes of the 2nd. I'm especially struck by the impact she can have on a team coming back from the halftime break, thinking they can implement the coach's new plan, and then they run into the buzzsaw of Nika's defense. Tennessee experienced it this year and never recovered from it.

Reaction Score
To no one in particular:

Nice to hear from another Mühl fan.

As for Fudd it is hardly "proven" that she can't facilitate from the sg position. She wasn't near healthy until February. And when she was back her role was to get open and shoot. Her being in the lineup is what put Mühl on the bench because with Fudd in Bueckers could could play her normal game of both facilitating and shooting. For other evidence I offer Geno's own appraisal of Fudd before last season. He said "she was the most completely prepared player he has ever seen coming in, fundamentally sound in ALL phases of the game". That at least should buy her one complete season to show her abilities? I would wager that Fudd knows all about playing the point and with 3 months to hone her skills I would expect her to play some point but not too much early. Bringing up the ball can wear down the feet and hers need to be kept healthy.

And in any case most UConn possessions will start as a transition after a miss and a rebound and everyone gets involved in bringing those down court. :)

Reaction Score
Nika will be returning this season with the most career starts of anyone on the roster and was only be behind Aaliyah in starts last season. She had the most starts last season of any guards except Cristyn in a roster, end of season, of six guards. This season there are four guards listed on the roster, the lowest number in the years that Nika has been at UCONN. So it strikes me as odd that many posters have expressed the view that she will serve primarily as the back up point guard this season rather than the starting point guard. Her freshman season Geno, with Paige available, choose to go with Nika at point for the second half of the season only losing that role due to injury at the beginning of the tournament. Last season, when Paige went down with injury Geno, with other options available, again chose to go with Nika at point. So for her two seasons at UCONN Nika has been Geno's choice behind Paige, a player who's arguably the best player in wcbb, as his point guard. Also it may be noted that Azzi's point production was highest last season during the period that Nika was at point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom