Nika Muhl | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nika Muhl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think what this boils down to is this:
You start Nika, you get one thing, you start Paige, you get another.

Nika made some dumb fouling mistakes yesterday, but the team looked more confident with her in

Geno got this team to a #2 with Caroline holding down the fort, then Nika and Caroline creating while Christyn was getting untracked...then the line changes...it worked.

There is more than a subtle difference with Paige playing much of the game and Nika and Caroline sidelined. And at least for yesterday, that change seemed to have not worked especially well.

But Geno may be absolutely correct in that he has to force Paige into game shape in order to win
Or he could be making a huge blunder in sidelining the people who got him there.

We'll be on this issue throughout the Spring and Summer, regardless of the outcome and I sense
unforeseen consequences.
My problem is geno forces Paige back in and kills the confidence Caroline has built carrying this team when its needed it most, now he pines her (2 missed layups) for the second half. What happen the next game, does she think I can’t miss a shot or make a mistake? Nika I’m not sure what she did wrong, she sparked the team and because she’s working her butt off has a couple fouls late in shot clock, so he sits her the 2nd half, He needs to look in the mirror 2 time out in late game situations and no shots, Geno is the best coach ever but even the best coach screws up and he really messed with these two ladies minds IMHO

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno has said that UConn cannot win a NC without Paige. You might disagree with Geno, but expect Paige to start for the rest of the tournament. He also said that UConn won’t win if Paige is playing at 50 percent. In my opinion Paige was playing at 50 percent yesterday. The missed free throws were painful to watch.

There is at least one person on this board who thinks that Geno doesn’t believe Paige is essential. That person also said that Geno didn’t mean it when he said Paige would start. She’s starting.

For some reason I’ve wanted to defend Paige on the BY, as some people have become so negative toward her. One post attacked her character, complaining about her « ego. »
I think you are right here. Teams that move on to the FF need that alpha who can get points when you need them. If you don’t have that player, getting to and winning a FF won’t happen. Paige was that player last year but she is not that player right now. Geno has to see if she can get there or close because there is no other option. BTW, I wonder if UConn would have been a 2 seed were it not for Paige’s return. Perhaps @Plebe can offer his opinion on that.

Beyond disappointing to here anyone questioning Paige’s character given what she’s been through. That’s the Boneyard 2022. The only thing that matters is what Paige’s teammates think of her. The rest and what we read here on a daily basis is, to quote Geno, “fluff.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Last year she was possibly the greatest Husky ever and now she’s somehow lacking intensity, energy, and leadership? “Fickleness, thy name is: The Boneyard!” I like Nika, I think she is an important part of this team, but Paige (even as she is right now) is simply at a different, higher level than Nika. I wonder if Paige ever missed 2 out of 3 free throws back when she was all-world? You know, back in the day.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I get that Geno thought that we needed offence, but in the last 5 or so minutes we didn't make one field goal. So, who we had out there really didn't help our cause at all. So once we got that 12 point lead, maybe we should have had our DPOY out there to slow them up, maybe getting a steal for a quick layup. I'm sure she got the message about the dumb fouls she committed negating two shot clock violations. They were scoring and we weren't, so Nika should have been inserted to cause some of the havoc that they were inflicting on us. BTW, her talking to officials isn't a bad thing since she has never been teed up or warned. All she is trying to do is establish a good report with the zebras, as DT has done throughout her career.

Reaction Score
I think what this boils down to is this:
You start Nika, you get one thing, you start Paige, you get another.

Nika made some dumb fouling mistakes yesterday, but the team looked more confident with her in

Geno got this team to a #2 with Caroline holding down the fort, then Nika and Caroline creating while Christyn was getting untracked...then the line changes...it worked.

There is more than a subtle difference with Paige playing much of the game and Nika and Caroline sidelined. And at least for yesterday, that change seemed to have not worked especially well.

But Geno may be absolutely correct in that he has to force Paige into game shape in order to win
Or he could be making a huge blunder in sidelining the people who got him there.

We'll be on this issue throughout the Spring and Summer, regardless of the outcome and I sense
unforeseen consequences.
Absolutely agree. Don't fix what's not broke. There is a team in place. There is an energy & spirit in place that has risen from hardship, pain, & doubt. Paige will have her time. Her progress & contribution should not be made at the expense of the team. The team respects Paige & what she can do. I believe they defer to her. They all have contributions to make. They just have more spirit when Nika is out there. It is pure & fire.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Just spitballing here but it may be the team is slipping back into their old bad habit of waiting for Paige to do something instead of taking matters into their own hands like they had to when she was out.
Hope not because Paige isn’t cooperating. There were times last night when many were hoping Paige would take over but she didn’t. Is it a physical thing? Confidence? Who knows. It’s a tough spot.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'The rest and what we read here on a daily basis is, to quote Geno, “fluff.”
i wonder if coach was scarred as a child like mr haney here (i always liked that guy. he was fun.)
then again, i don't know if fluff was around when geno was a kid.

now that i think of it, we weren't allowed to have fluff in the house either. sumthin aboot kosher, or moses, or whatever bs the rents peddle to brain damage their kids. i was like 'u telling me that joab didn't bring along a few cases of that stuff on the ark? i ain't buying that. no way. that stuff has a half-life of around a 1000 years, or so i'd been told by my pals who were freely allowed to eat it whenever they pleased. not fair!' and moms would often say 'don't u go eating that sugar poison over at javier's house. we're having liver with a nice side of brussel sprouts for supper.'
and with that, i'll take my leave of here now. it's time for '2nd lunch,' and im gonna eat whatever i feel like. u listening mom?

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
'The rest and what we read here on a daily basis is, to quote Geno, “fluff.”
i wonder if coach was scarred as a child like mr haney here (i always liked that guy. he was fun.)
then again, i don't know if fluff was around when geno was a kid.

and with that, i'll take my leave of here now. it's time for '2nd lunch.'

Lol. I’m old enough to remember Fluff. Who can forget the Fluffernutter sandwich on white bread?

Reaction Score
there seems to be a lot of battles of starter, imo Ducharme should start over Fudd. I know people are gonna boxscore and say Fudd had 16, but she went 4-13. And I feel Ducharme brings better defense especially cause she has length and bigger reach.
I am not sure about starting over AZ but CD should have played a lot more than she did somewhere on the floor, unless there is something we don't know.

I laugh at a few who are like she is not ready, less we forget she stepped up as much or more when team was limited. She missed TWO (easy) shots! AZ passed the ball away 3 times and would have been more if not for going out of bounds or the receiver making an aggressive reach to save it. I am in no way saying AZ was not impactful, my point is she was given the room to make some mistakes while finding a way to contribute. CD is long, rebounds, blocks shots, steals, finds a way to get open in a variety of ways and has shown the ability to rise to the occasion when given the opportunity.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
iirc Geno said that Nika is nursing an injury and her minutes would be limited. We need her spark on defense but give Geno credit for knowing a little bt more than we do.

Reaction Score
How many of us thought that Paige would provide the dagger when she hoisted that 3 pointer in the last 1:20? We were shocked when it bounced off the rim. Geno is waiting for Paige to sink that shot & get the spring back in her legs. It's a worthwhile gamble, but Tick Tock!

Reaction Score
Just spitballing here but it may be the team is slipping back into their old bad habit of waiting for Paige to do something instead of taking matters into their own hands like they had to when she was out.

That does not explain the missed layups, at least 8? Make 3-4 of those and it’s a different game at the end.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That is a very hard one to read. Prior to UCONN taking the biggest lead just about everyone took turn contributing both defensively and offensively and the results were a 12 point lead when UCF called a time out. Coming out of that time out UCONN gave up a couple of uncontested shots but more disturbing was the UCONN offense went into lets run the clock out mode. The rest of the team was looking to Paige to make a play during that stretch which has not been the case since she returned. Hopefully it was temporary because we are going to need many more players to make plays over the next 4 games of this season.

sun

Reaction Score
How many of us thought that Paige would provide the dagger when she hoisted that 3 pointer in the last 1:20? We were shocked when it bounced off the rim. Geno is waiting for Paige to sink that shot & get the spring back in her legs. It's a worthwhile gamble, but Tick Tock!
The shot was missed but the rebound was easily grabbed by Dorka for a put back.
What happened from there wasn't Paige's fault.
Paige still shot better than everyone on the team except Nika.

FWIW, UConn beat UCF by 5 points which coincidently Paige wears #5.
Paige made the sacrifice to play in this year's NCAAT.
She only hopes to contribute in some way and that's what she's doing as Geno desires.
Folks should enjoy the win instead of having sour grapes, they taste much better after they become wine.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Paige's lift isn't quite there. She was blocked easily in the second half. We were running down the clock so much we had to rush our shots. Wish we could play to a 20 second clock but that would require getting the ball over half court much faster and look for a cutting player rather than a slow offense that we seemed to settle into for most of the game. I know that the good defense of Florida had something to do with that, but we played into their game plan not ours or did we????
Where was our on paper offensive rebounds advantage? Rushed putback were numerous and often the result of badly missed late shot clock efforts. We played to a long slow shot clock, not our strength. I didn't see many three point shots off of good picks. CFla's two players swarming defense ruled the day and we had trouble finding the open man. Please keep the ball in the middle of the court when that happens, this is allows us not to be pinned against the sideline or half-court lines where we often picked up our dribble.

Reaction Score
It was unbelievable to me that Nika only played 6 minutes yesterday and no I don't want to see Nika out there instead of Paige, I want to see her with Paige more. Geno said she wasn't out there because he wanted offense. Evina played 18 minutes with no scoring, Nika played 6 minutes and hit the three that put us ahead. In my opinion she is a better ball handler under pressure than Evina, a better pressure defender and better at getting the offense going quicker. If Evina was as effective offensively as she has been of late, stay with her, but that wasn't the case so why not split those 24 minutes evenly between Nika and Evina and see what Nika was able to do for the team with that additional 6 minutes. I heard the argument about the two quick fouls, clearly not great choices by Nika but she wasn't the only Husky making bad choices ( fouls or turnovers). Also it should be noted that UCF did not score on either of those fouls.

Her energy and intensity triggered us to take the lead in the second, besides hitting the three she should have had two assists as well, one after a great steal and pass to Caroline who missed the easy layup and the second, a great feed to Olivia who was called for a 3 sec violation. If Nika was on the floor six more minutes ( getting six of Evina's minutes) does anyone seriously think she wouldn't have had additional positive impact. BTW Geno in his presser indicated that he expected Nika to play a bigger role going forward, in this particular game he sat her in hopes of getting more offense ( which as I would argue above didn't happen).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I get that Geno thought that we needed offence, but in the last 5 or so minutes we didn't make one field goal. So, who we had out there really didn't help our cause at all. So once we got that 12 point lead, maybe we should have had our DPOY out there to slow them up, maybe getting a steal for a quick layup. I'm sure she got the message about the dumb fouls she committed negating two shot clock violations. They were scoring and we weren't, so Nika should have been inserted to cause some of the havoc that they were inflicting on us. BTW, her talking to officials isn't a bad thing since she has never been teed up or warned. All she is trying to do is establish a good report with the zebras, as DT has done throughout her career.
What makes you so sure that Nika would get the message in the second half of this game when she has failed to receive the exact same message for almost two full season now. Geno and the staff have been delivering that message ( harness & control your aggression) to Nika since her very first game in a UCONN uniform. The same message is being delivered to ONO for 4 years now and AE for two. This messenger does not like to be ignored.

Reaction Score
What makes you so sure that Nika would get the message in the second half of this game when she has failed to receive the exact same message for almost two full season now. Geno and the staff have been delivering that message ( harness & control your aggression) to Nika since her very first game in a UCONN uniform. The same message is being delivered to ONO for 4 years now and AE for two. This messenger does not like to be ignored.
Has Nika fouled out of a game this season? I would add that Geno specially in response to the questioner said that Nika's two fouls were not the reason she didn't play in the second half. She has played with fouls several times this season and has harnessed her aggression to stay on the court. She did the same to finish out last season as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01