Nika Muhl | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Nika Muhl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think at this point Geno has hurt Caroline's confidence and he may not be able to fix it the remainder of this year. Caroline is decent at breaking the press and the 4 small lineup has it's merits sometimes. She would help move the ball quickly up the floor and maybe get some layups off that press. I hope he gives her at least 20 minutes against Indiana as we could really use her later on.

Regarding Nika, the only reason she got 3 points is because they layed off her 3 times in that possesion. They were daring her to shoot. I think she can knock down some 3's but she's got to shoot it. I think she should get around 6-10 minutes PT against Indiana and I wish her well. She should be #9 on the depth chart though. She's still our 6th best guard. I'm fine with the team running a lot of players out there and wearing them down.
I don't even understand why she lost her starting job, the injury is the only thing I can come up with and to me that seems unfair. Caroline to me is a player that doesn't do well off the bench, she needs to start to get a rhythm.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree with you. I'm not sure why NM didnt play more. It is easy for everybody to say that it is because we needed offense. Well how did that work out? 53 points is horrible. I'm very comfortable to say that if NM played more and say EW played a bit less, that we would have not done any worse and probably better. That is not all on EW either.

NM gets the ball to players, pushes the ball and then finds open shooters in the open court. That creates offense. EW also looked very tentative in her ball handling under pressure. This surprised me a bit but she looked cautious, even scared of quickness around her when she had the ball in the open court. NM, on the other hand, has no fear of this and its just push push push the ball up the court. My guess is she aggravated an injury that was noted at the half and GA didnt want to aggravate it more and thought the other players were better than an injured NM, which I can't disagree with.

Our offense was not good last night and it wasn't great in the first game either, but none of that has anything to do with NM. We just can't make layups and open shots. I said before that we when we throw the ball to the post, we might have a 33% success rate otherwise it is breaking backboards and TOs.

It would be nice if CW could carry us in these scoring droughts but sadly that didnt happen. She hasn't been AA material thus far...shows glimpses but not quite the AA hoped. Still a good player and our best finisher at the rim. Off ball and face up defense has been good as well. Just want more and hope to see her get hot at the right time for a game or three.
Uhm.. UCONN scored 52 points last night. 52 Points is not horrible when you win an NCAA tournament game because you get to keep playing while the other team heads home. In Paragraph 1 & 2 you are advocating for more minutes for Nika because she "creates offense". By paragraph 3 you are calling the UCONN offense horrible but "it has nothing to do with Nika"?

1647987516437.png

Reaction Score
I think it's a mistake to not play Nika. The team just looks better with her on the floor - and that's always true. It's hard to put a finger on why, but Nika completely changed the game last night.

And it's strange - because last year, Geno trusted her more. I get wanting more offense, but Evina wasn't doing anything, and Azzi was struggling with the pressure. (Not saying take Azzi out at all, but just that we should have had two ball handlers in).

If she's nursing an injury, it's understandable - but that's about the only thing that's understandable. Especially if the reason for her benching wasn't the two fouls. (I would get it if it was. Nika needs to learn.)

I'm also concerned about Caroline. She has looked like a different player since her injury. And she looked lost out there last night. But we'll need Caroline playing well in order to win an NC. She's an xfactor.

Reaction Score
During the game, multiple people surmised all the reasons for removing Nika that Geno later expressed in the presser. Both the mistakes she made on defense to bail out UCF, and the fact that she's not an offensive force at a time when it seemed like we needed more offense. They're perfectly valid reasons.

With that said, sometimes I do wonder if what this team needs at times is not more offense, or more defense, or any other strictly basketball-related thing. As a freshman Paige provided all of her basketball vision and skill, and IMO also provided one additional thing: fortitude. Paige as a freshman knew what she had to do to help her team win the game, and did it. And I think the team fed off that, youngsters and veterans alike.

Paige is back from her injury. Her analytical basketball mind is as it ever was, but I think she's still trying to reestablish that confidence that leads to fortitude. Her leg might not be 100% either.

Which brings us back to Nika. Nika is clearly not as effective in offensive production as most of the rest of the backcourt, and she makes silly mistakes. But...I do think she has fortitude. Nika can't do most of the things we need to do to win the game. But maybe her fiery presence helps inspire some of the other players to do those things that they can do and Nika can't.

My bottom line: if Paige is out there, Nika doesn't have to be (though it might not hurt for short stretches). When Paige sits, I think there will be few situations where you wouldn't want Nika out there to take over some of the load. But what do I know - I'm just some guy sitting on a couch. And it's just one game. Maybe we'll have more arguments for or against all of this after the next game...and hopefully the next after that. :)

Reaction Score
Uhm.. UCONN scored 52 points last night. 52 Points is not horrible when you win an NCAA tournament game because you get to keep playing while the other team heads home. In Paragraph 1 & 2 you are advocating for more minutes for Nika because she "creates offense". By paragraph 3 you are calling the UCONN offense horrible but "it has nothing to do with Nika"?

View attachment 74767
dont think it is hard to figure out what I said. opps i missed out on the 52 vs 53 points...well spotted coocoo. 52 pts or even 53 for that matter is a very bad night on offense, but as you must understand, it would be even more horrible if we lost. We won because of our defense and the fact that UCF couldnt make FTs. Im sure GA has some stronger words to describe the state of the offense at the moment to his team. I dont think it will be all roses though.

so you dont get how 1. NM creates more offensive opps for her teammates and 2. due to her lack of playing time, nobody can blame her for the 52 points and 29% shooting..i could say that's terrible if you prefer or would you prefer bad...or maybe you think it was stellar? so i have a side but that is you again reading into something that is not there.

Reaction Score
During the game, multiple people surmised all the reasons for removing Nika that Geno later expressed in the presser. Both the mistakes she made on defense to bail out UCF, and the fact that she's not an offensive force at a time when it seemed like we needed more offense. They're perfectly valid reasons.

With that said, sometimes I do wonder if what this team needs at times is not more offense, or more defense, or any other strictly basketball-related thing. As a freshman Paige provided all of her basketball vision and skill, and IMO also provided one additional thing: fortitude. Paige as a freshman knew what she had to do to help her team win the game, and did it. And I think the team fed off that, youngsters and veterans alike.

Paige is back from her injury. Her analytical basketball mind is as it ever was, but I think she's still trying to reestablish that confidence that leads to fortitude. Her leg might not be 100% either.

Which brings us back to Nika. Nika is clearly not as effective in offensive production as most of the rest of the backcourt, and she makes silly mistakes. But...I do think she has fortitude. Nika can't do most of the things we need to do to win the game. But maybe her fiery presence helps inspire some of the other players to do those things that they can do and Nika can't.

My bottom line: if Paige is out there, Nika doesn't have to be (though it might not hurt for short stretches). When Paige sits, I think there will be few situations where you wouldn't want Nika out there to take over some of the load. But what do I know - I'm just some guy sitting on a couch. And it's just one game. Maybe we'll have more arguments for or against all of this after the next game...and hopefully the next after that. :)
Well tell me who doesnt make silly mistakes? NM doenst make anymore than anybody else does. now with shooters on the floor spreading the defense out, such at both PB and , that allows NM time to get her set shot off. I recond she is not shooting it less than say 30-35%. last year, i thought we were very effective with PB and NM playing together.

Reaction Score
Well tell me who doesnt make silly mistakes? NM doenst make anymore than anybody else does. now with shooters on the floor spreading the defense out, such at both PB and Azzi Fudd, that allows NM time to get her set shot off. I recond she is not shooting it less than say 30-35%. last year, i thought we were very effective with PB and NM playing together.
Jazz I’m starting agree with you and those who think NM should play more. It just seems that even though her offensive skills aren’t as good as the players she’s subbing for but when she is in there I truly believe that the other players are moving and taking the ball more aggressively. When there’s too many options out there I feel everyone is looking for Azzi or Paige to bail out the team and there’s a clear stagnation. The when you add the energy that she brings defensively there’s certainly something to be said there as well. I’m not a coach and don’t pretend to be one, but just by the eye test my observations on NM.

Reaction Score
Jazz I’m starting agree with you and those who think NM should play more. It just seems that even though her offensive skills aren’t as good as the players she’s subbing for but when she is in there I truly believe that the other players are moving and taking the ball more aggressively. When there’s too many options out there I feel everyone is looking for Azzi or Paige to bail out the team and there’s a clear stagnation. The when you add the energy that she brings defensively there’s certainly something to be said there as well. I’m not a coach and don’t pretend to be one, but just by the eye test my observations on NM.
There is plenty of examples of point guards who were great shooters but were still good enough facilitators of the ball, coupled with their defense and intensity, can give a lift to a team, in particular if used in spurts. I forget the names but the celtics had one (played at kentucky - wasnt a great shooter but a heck of a good defender and assist man) and the uconn men had one a few years ago. but anyway, if she has time to shoot, and she does need time because of her very slow wind up release, she can be effective and has been in the past. you can see and others running to their spot in the break bc they know NM will get them the ball in rhythm.

sometimes it is more than the sum of the parts.

Reaction Score
I also think, maybe this pushes Nika to become more offensive minded.

She could work on shooting and driving over the summer and become a stronger offensive threat. To have Nika as a possible scorer while she's playing her incredible defense would be a huge boost. Understanding that because of her deficiency in offense, she needed to sit might motivate her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There is plenty of examples of point guards who were great shooters but were still good enough facilitators of the ball, coupled with their defense and intensity, can give a lift to a team, in particular if used in spurts. I forget the names but the celtics had one (played at kentucky - wasnt a great shooter but a heck of a good defender and assist man) and the uconn men had one a few years ago. but anyway, if she has time to shoot, and she does need time because of her very slow wind up release, she can be effective and has been in the past. you can see Azzi Fudd and others running to their spot in the break bc they know NM will get them the ball in rhythm.

sometimes it is more than the sum of the parts.
You are thinking of Rajon Rondo but can you bring us back to an example in WCBB and preferably a UCONN WBB basketball PG that was a deficient shooter.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
With her playing outscored UCF and her 3 gave UConn the lead. 2nd half UConn guards were scared of the press and panicked often. Without her there was no UCONN pressure defense, which leads to easy chances.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
there seems to be a lot of battles of starter, imo Ducharme should start over Fudd. I know people are gonna boxscore and say Fudd had 16, but she went 4-13. And I feel Ducharme brings better defense especially cause she has length and bigger reach.
Azzi played scared against the press. Was effective only when her shots went in.

Reaction Score
Let's be clear, Nika is on the court more than 50% of the time she averages 22.9 MPG on this season. This particular pity party and assault on Paige is because Nika only played 6 minutes last night and people are mad.
Not mad at all! I’m with the Italian guy.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Nika is a hard worker and a likeable kid. She brings intensity and defense but her offensive contributions while improving are very very limited. There is no comparision between her and Paige. Nika is a role player and is not as key to the success of the team this year as are Paige, Azzi, Edwards, Williams, and Dorka.

I'm sure there will be opportunities for Nika to contribute but she is not be playing major minutes ahead of the starters and Westbrook is also probably ahead of her in the rotation.

BTW, the two fouls she committed last night were very foolish- with the shot clock running out and far from the basket. Intensity has to be balanced with poise and situational awareness.
First foul yes you and I know the clock was running down, did she, was she actually watching the clock and not her assignment? That was called immediately after Azzi grabbed her assignment by the arm and wad not called. The 2nd was as the player was driving and was a ticky tac call a bailout on a prayer shot.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Caroline played like the moment was a little too big for her last night. If the game were not one in which every possession mattered he probably would have put her back in to get her footing. He went with the more experienced players and his best shooter.
The rest of the team played calm? Every offensive possession was a definition of panicked play.

Reaction Score
IT's not just choosing "Nika" or "Paige" that changes how we play, in my opinion the shorter bench itself wasn't a good idea. We got here despite all the injuries by playing whoever we could, and as the injured returned able to play, we got stronger as we got more numerous. Maybe playing Caroline & Nika more would have given different capabilities- the game was stale for large portions, that's especially when you want to try something different, some other combination. We cheated ourselves out of options & that hurt us.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Holly crap! Do people here realize what team they played last night. UCF has given UConn fits since their last year in the AAC? Plus, I bet that no one wanted UCF in their brackets either. I know that I didn't. These ladies bang bodies. Like the announcers said it was like Rutgers of old. The game was physical. Our BIGS held their own. Our offense sucked. They couldn't buy a layup. Thankfully we went on a spurt at the end but then had to hold on. I wish UCF my best. Let them fight it out in the Big 12 now. I think that Indiana will be more of an offensive minded game. Lets hope that our guards come to play. Elite 8 lets get there.
That team 2020 not close to as talented, on paper, as this team.

Reaction Score
It was frustrating watching UConn get bottled up backcourt last night, and thinking that Nika was on the bench. She can probably outrun anyone on both of those teams, certainly with the ball. I think that she and Christyn are the best at getting away from pressure. But I also understand that Geno probably hoped the offense would start to click with the better shooters, which never really happened, because we couldn't get the ball downcourt. Can't we play 6 on 6?? Also interesting to see how when teams are down they start to panic, as we did at the beginning and UCF did at the end, making unforced errors. Anyways, Nika, if you're listening, we missed you last night. You are an exciting player to watch!

Reaction Score
I agree with you. I'm not sure why NM didnt play more. It is easy for everybody to say that it is because we needed offense. Well how did that work out? 53 points is horrible. I'm very comfortable to say that if NM played more and say EW played a bit less, that we would have not done any worse and probably better. That is not all on EW either.

NM gets the ball to players, pushes the ball and then finds open shooters in the open court. That creates offense. EW also looked very tentative in her ball handling under pressure. This surprised me a bit but she looked cautious, even scared of quickness around her when she had the ball in the open court. NM, on the other hand, has no fear of this and its just push push push the ball up the court. My guess is she aggravated an injury that was noted at the half and GA didnt want to aggravate it more and thought the other players were better than an injured NM, which I can't disagree with.

Our offense was not good last night and it wasn't great in the first game either, but none of that has anything to do with NM. We just can't make layups and open shots. I said before that we when we throw the ball to the post, we might have a 33% success rate otherwise it is breaking backboards and TOs.

It would be nice if CW could carry us in these scoring droughts but sadly that didnt happen. She hasn't been AA material thus far...shows glimpses but not quite the AA hoped. Still a good player and our best finisher at the rim. Off ball and face up defense has been good as well. Just want more and hope to see her get hot at the right time for a game or three.
Funny, I was pretty happy with 52 points! Of course, in all fairness, I must acknowledge the other number that made me happy. That would be 47. I’m not sure which one I liked most? I guess it’s a tie.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Holly crap! Do people here realize what team they played last night. UCF has given UConn fits since their last year in the AAC? Plus, I bet that no one wanted UCF in their brackets either. I know that I didn't. These ladies bang bodies. Like the announcers said it was like Rutgers of old. The game was physical. Our BIGS held their own. Our offense sucked. They couldn't buy a layup. Thankfully we went on a spurt at the end but then had to hold on. I wish UCF my best. Let them fight it out in the Big 12 now. I think that Indiana will be more of an offensive minded game. Lets hope that our guards come to play. Elite 8 lets get there.
Their coach played for Stringer in Iowa.

Reaction Score
IT's not just choosing "Nika" or "Paige" that changes how we play, in my opinion the shorter bench itself wasn't a good idea. We got here despite all the injuries by playing whoever we could, and as the injured returned able to play, we got stronger as we got more numerous. Maybe playing Caroline & Nika more would have given different capabilities- the game was stale for large portions, that's especially when you want to try something different, some other combination. We cheated ourselves out of options & that hurt us.
Not to mention giving players a rest now and then. Azzi and Paige played too many minutes, especially against such a physical opponent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom