Nika Muhl | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Nika Muhl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My Downloads Page. Courtesy of @JRRRJ You need to ask him about the year to year but it may be in the linked spreadsheet; there are a lot of tabs
Thanks, Nan... the fouls and minutes are also there on the team's website, although it takes some quick arithmetic to figure the fouls per minute.

At this point, Liv and Aaliyah are averaging about a foul per 10 minutes played and Nika is next with a foul per every 11 1/2 minutes played. Of the rotation nine, they're well ahead (or behind) everyone else.

Jazz, the season stats for seasons back as far as 2015 are available there, too.

Reaction Score
Broken record time. You mean, of course, the best offensive players that could not score the entire 2nd half and from whom Auriemma decided to never try something different.
Not sure what « broken record time » means. Maybe I’ve repeated myself. Whatever.

UConn scored 26 points in the second half with overall 29% shooting in the game. Pretty bad. About the same as SC in its last game. Part of that was UCF’s effective defense. Could Nika have helped in the second half? Maybe. My post had only four points. Blond D would have a better argument if he/she/they did not make outrageous claims; Nika is a better offensive player than some people admit, but she’s not the best on the team either; Geno said Nika sat on the bench because he thought he needed better offensive options; and I trust Geno when he said that was his reason. Whether Geno should have taken the risk of playing Nika in the second half, that I didn’t address. I’m not sure what you’re objecting to.

Reaction Score
During the minutes Nika played is when UConn came back from being down to take their first lead. The team had 14 point lead in the 4th quarter and Turnovers, rushed shots and fouls caused the lead to shrink to 3.
I believe the biggest lead was 12?

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
you're changing the narrative completely. I said that teams are DARING Nika to shoot, this idea that she is a scorer or not is irrelevant, the other teams are forcing her to be a scorer and she doesn't shoot open shots because she lacks confidence or doesn't trust she can make those shots. So if you are a player who gets open looks, looks that other players who are scorers aren't getting you're minimizing the potential on offense. There have been Uconn players in the past that were not labeled "scorers" but when they had the open shot they would take it and make it most of the time and not hesitate.
sadly, the same 'flaw' could be attributed to paige, who too often refuses to take the open shot /// why? who knows? has she not been cured of the bad habit? doesn't she know it hurts the team, does not benefit it?/// with paige, it's far more egregious because she's a far superior shooter and just the threat of her launching opens room for her teammates. but unilaterally abandoning the threat nullifies some of the advantage to the team. geez, paige, when they blanket you then pass, but when you are open, help the team and shoot the damn ball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno praises just about everyone at some point and if you were coach wouldn’t you try to praise your subs as well? What is more important is what he does. He’s been effusive in his praise for Caroline but she got even fewer minutes last game, Pay more attention to what he does than what he says. He’s a motivator. He knows how to manage team dynamics.

Reaction Score
sadly, the same 'flaw' could be attributed to paige, who too often refuses to take the open shot /// why? who knows? has she not been cured of the bad habit? doesn't she know it hurts the team, does not benefit it?/// with paige, it's far more egregious because she's a far superior shooter and just the threat of her launching opens room for her teammates. but unilaterally abandoning the threat nullifies some of the advantage to the team. geez, paige, when they blanket you then pass, but when you are open, help the team and shoot the damn ball.
Caroline I think is a really good shooter, but her confidence is an all-time low. On Saturday she had a wide open 3 vs Mercer and she kept second guessing herself and traveled.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Actions speak louder than words and what Geno does is more significant than what he says. . You keep touting the article of Geno praising Nika and how the offense flow better with Nika in the game. Why did Geno only play her 6 minutes against UCF? I think Geno had better options as in Azzi 38 Minutes, Paige 32 Minutes & CW for 34.

Reaction Score
Actions speak louder than words and what Geno does is more significant than what he says. . You keep touting the article of Geno praising Nika and how the offense flow better with Nika in the game. Why did Geno only play her 6 minutes against UCF? I think Geno had better options as in Azzi 38 Minutes, Paige 32 Minutes & CW for 34.
in the offseason Geno also said Deberry was impressing him, well we see how much that "impression" mattered with the playing time she has gotten.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nika has taken only six FTs this year. She's 2 for 6. Not a meaningful sample. But I'm not arguing that she's a good FT shooter.
With all Nika's shooting percentages the sample size is generally small. We can't go on her numbers when they are so small.
The small sample size is indicative of Nika style of play. She does not attack the basket enough to draw contact and get to the foul line nor is she enough of a threat offensively inside the arc to prevent other teams from sagging off to help on other UCONN player.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
My Downloads Page. Courtesy of @JRRRJ You need to ask him about the year to year but it may be in the linked spreadsheet; there are a lot of tabs

@jazz, at the link HuskyNan provided you will find yearly per-40-minutes stats spreadsheets for the 2001, 2002 and 2006-9, 2010-12 seasons. 2013-17 spreadsheets provide a page for each game and various summary pages, including yearly. 2018 to present use a pivot table to allow getting stats by date(s), opponent(s), venue(s), and starting status.

Last edited:

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
With all Nika's shooting percentages the sample size is generally small. We can't go on her numbers when they are so small. She may be a better shooter than the numbers or a worse shooter than the numbers. The standard deviation is quite large. A lot of you say "Well, the team just looks better with her out there". When I see her in there I see her pestering the other team's point guard very well but her steals are about the same per minute as Paiges if even that. I see her push the offense some but relatively few fast break conversions and I don't see her running the offense as well as others. I don't see her handling the press any better than other guards. Most importantly, I see the other team slacking off of her defensively, almost daring her to shoot. They can put their weakest defender on her and even then they slack off of her, doubling up the middle. She can help wear down the other team and keep others fresh. I'm all for her playing 10 minutes but there is NWIH I want to give her more than 10 minutes PT from Azzi, Paige, CW, Caroline or Evina. If I'm completely honest, in close games being played at a slow pace, I wouldn't even give her 10 minutes. There is nothing wrong with that. We have 3 # 1 recruits as guards folks. Nika could be the #2 recruit in the country and still be on the bench. Our strength is at guard. We need to play to our strength.

Nika's steal rate per 40 minutes year-to-date is 2.78. Paige's is 2.43. Those are the team's 2 highest rates by a good margin.

For the games since Paige's return, her rate is 0.71. Nika's is 1.86, which matches Christyn for the highest rate on the team. During the same time, Nika's assist rate is second only to Paige's: 5.75 to 6.25. In the BET and NCAAT, Nika leads Page's assist rate by 5.84 to 5.49. For the same period, she turns the ball over 2/3 as often as Paige: 2.25 to 3.53.

When Nika runs the point, games don't run at a slow pace. She always pushes the ball up the court, frequently before the opponent's defense is in place. I was quite upset Monday to see Paige and Evina essentially walking the ball up the sidelines and letting the traps close on them again and again.

And on Monday, the half-court offense had better motion for the few minutes she was playing.

I am not claiming Nika has better basketball potential than Paige. But Nika's stats are up and Paige's are down from her time before the operation. The team went 19 games learning how to play with Nika at the point and did well. Now, they must re-learn how to play with Paige at the point and there is very little time to do that.

I'm gonna say that -- if she was not injured -- I come down on the side that opined she should have had some time in the second half against UCF when the entire team was unable to get a basket for extended periods. The defense would not have suffered, the offense might have improved.

Reaction Score
Nika's steal rate per 40 minutes year-to-date is 2.78. Paige's is 2.43. Those are the team's 2 highest rates by a good margin.

For the games since Paige's return, her rate is 0.71. Nika's is 1.86, which matches Christyn for the highest rate on the team. During the same time, Nika's assist rate is second only to Paige's: 5.75 to 6.25. In the BET and NCAAT, Nika leads Page's assist rate by 5.84 to 5.49. For the same period, she turns the ball over 2/3 as often as Paige: 2.25 to 3.53.

When Nika runs the point, games don't run at a slow pace. She always pushes the ball up the court, frequently before the opponent's defense is in place. I was quite upset Monday to see Paige and Evina essentially walking the ball up the sidelines and letting the traps close on them again and again.

And on Monday, the half-court offense had better motion for the few minutes she was playing.

I am not claiming Nika has better basketball potential than Paige. But Nika's stats are up and Paige's are down from her time before the operation. The team went 19 games learning how to play with Nika at the point and did well. Now, they must re-learn how to play with Paige at the point and there is very little time to do that.

I'm gonna say that -- if she was not injured -- I come down on the side that opined she should have had some time in the second half against UCF when the entire team was unable to get a basket for extended periods. The defense would not have suffered, the offense might have improved.
Caroline would have helped given an opportunity.

Reaction Score

Isn't it easier to score when the other team let's you shoot? They guard Paige. They want Nika to shoot. Paige looks like she is struggling but her volume of offense compared to Nika's is the difference. I do agree that there are lots of data points where Nika has a slight edge even right now but the full body of data certainly supports Paige getting the bulk of the PT.

This is comparable to a World Cup soccer coach having tremendous pressure to play the 33 year old "star" when what the coach sees in practice is that the 23 year old player who few fans know about is now better. The entire world pressures the coach to go with the established stars who are over the hill. I get that Paige's injury and time off has put her in that situation to a degree but we really have to roll the dice and hope Paige can continue to trend up as she recovers from the injury. She is probably trending up. Are the benefits from a contributing Paige worth the risk? Geno is monitoring that and he has other options better than Nika as well. I have no problem with Nika getting 10 minutes. We do have to make sure we win the game though. I'm sure Geno didn't want Paige to have to play as much as she did but overall, Page had one of the better games on the team.

Reaction Score

Some points to consider are that Nika committed 2 fouls in 6 minutes in game which you don't want to play that way.

Secondly, regardless of Paige vs Nika, the point is in the 8 minutes Paige was out, Azzi took only 1 shot. All her other shots and ft's were when Paige was in the game. and in this game, you wanted Azzi to take as many as she can.

It's why Paige should play. Whether Nika is in is another story. But at least for this game Paige being in allowed Azzi to get more open looks.

Reaction Score
@jazz, at the link HuskyNan provided you will find yearly per-40-minutes stats spreadsheets for the 2001, 2002 and 2006-9, 2010-12 seasons. 2013-17 spreadsheets provide a page for each game and various summary pages, including yearly. 2018 to present use a pivot table to allow getting stats by date(s), opponent(s), venue(s), and starting status.
Yes I see that and thank you for your response and your hard work. It is much appreciated.

Reaction Score
Thanks, Nan... the fouls and minutes are also there on the team's website, although it takes some quick arithmetic to figure the fouls per minute.

At this point, Liv and Aaliyah are averaging about a foul per 10 minutes played and Nika is next with a foul per every 11 1/2 minutes played. Of the rotation nine, they're well ahead (or behind) everyone else.

Jazz, the season stats for seasons back as far as 2015 are available there, too.
thanks Deacon.

Reaction Score
Now you’re cooking with gas!
My take: I think Geno realizes UConn really needs a confident Paige to win the NC. We need that Paige who knows she is the best player in the country and nobody can stop her. I believe Paige is 100% physically and mentally but it takes repetition constantly taking and making shots to get that “I am the best” confidence and Paige is not there yet. How long will it take and does UConn continue to win as the opponents get tougher that is the dilemma Geno has to confront.

Reaction Score
My take: I think Geno realizes UConn really needs a confident Paige to win the NC. We need that Paige who knows she is the best player in the country and nobody can stop her. I believe Paige is 100% physically and mentally but it takes repetition constantly taking and making shots to get that “I am the best” confidence and Paige is not there yet. How long will it take and does UConn continue to win as the opponents get tougher that is the dilemma Geno has to confront.
there is no way you can watch the Ucf game and say she was 100% mentally. She keeps passing open shots and when she goes to the rim she was scared of getting contact.

Reaction Score

Really!.jpg

JRRRJ has shown us the stats of what Nika has done post season to help her team. I share her mode here. How about we see what happens Saturday. If Geno was sending her a message by sitting her the second half last game, she got it. She's all about team and will do whatever she needs to help them bring home #12. I for one expect that Geno will have her on the floor a lot more than against UCF. Paraphrasing him, re: Aaliyah and Nika, 'I wouldn't trade them for anybody, Saturday in ways will be a tougher game than this one and we will need them on the floor not on the bench'. (photo credit cropped from @UconnWBB twitter)

https://twitter.com/UConnWBB

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This team has all the pieces necessary except one - Alphadog.
Paige would be IT of course but not in her current form.
The Nika piece is a high value, wonder to watch defensive whirlwind.
Paige is needed but will be picking her spots.
My thinking is we need Evina to tap all her experience, skill and talent and step into the Alphadog slot. It’s time for her to shed the Mom shawl and do what we’ve seen her do on so many occasions - score, spark and lead.

Reaction Score
The small sample size is indicative of Nika style of play. She does not attack the basket enough to draw contact and get to the foul line nor is she enough of a threat offensively inside the arc to prevent other teams from sagging off to help on other UCONN player.
Agree regarding her style of play. After watching most of her videos after we recruited her, it was obvious her scoring was mostly one of two things, a wide open 3, or a hard drive to the basket. Even against her Croatian competition she was only scoring about a point every three minutes, so I wasn't expecting a great scorer, but was expecting a significant "offensive" contributor. The reason was she at least created some scoring with her drives, and generally led whatever league she was in for assists.

She made things happen offensively, even if it wasn't directly from her scoring. At Uconn her game has been much more muted on the offensive side. She almost never drives anymore, and that means her scoring, her assists, and yes her turnovers are less as a result. I can't tell how much of that is due to higher level competition, and how much is due to the Uconn system. Nika may not be able to drive effectively at this level, I don't know, but in any case her game offensively has been toned down to fit the system.

Another notable trait from her videos is how much of her offense came from pushing the pace. Many times a fast-break with a nice score or pass at the end came from a Nika defensive rebound where she immediately burst upcourt. That is another thing she can add to an offense that rarely comes into play with this team. A fast pace team plays to her advantage, but that is not what we have. Despite talk that we like to play at a fast pace, we don't.

Our pace as measured is below average, despite forcing more than average turnovers, which tends to increase pace. Now it is true that was affected significantly by injuries and a short rotation for much of the season. Whether this team is better pushing the pace or not I don't know, but clearly Nika is one player that would benefit in a fast paced team.

Reaction Score
You said: Nika had the second lowest FG percentage on the team last year and this year she has the lowest FG percentage of all 9 players in the regular rotation. BTW there is another reason Nika cannot be on the floor at the end of close games. She is shooting 33% from foul line.

So I assumed you were talking about NM being untrustworthy at the FT line at the end of close games since based on her 6 FTs, you think she will continue to shoot at 33%. Of course, using such a small sample size is very misleading and just plain stupid, not to mention insulting to the entire BY here. Why are you trying to mislead the BY on this Coocoo?

You could have used last year’s FT% of 73%, but of course that would not have fit so nicely into your bogus negative narrative since NM shot a very respectable % at the line on 11 shots. A reasonably competent person would know that 73%, based on almost twice the FTs, would be a better indication of what NM shoots at the line – or at least average the two years. I guess since Mir was 0 -2 on FTs and 0-1 on FG attempts, we can expect her to never see the ball go through the net when it leaves her hands. Too bad you didn’t notify Virginia of this astute analysis of yours before Mir’s transfer!

Then when you are challenged with this astute analysis of yours, you come back with: The small sample size is indicative of Nika style of play. She does not attack the basket enough to draw contact and get to the foul line nor is she enough of a threat offensively inside the arc (By the way she is shooting better inside that arc than any other guard not named PB and .4% behind EW!) to prevent other teams from sagging off to help on other UCONN player. But yet the context of your original statement was very clear when you said: BTW there is another reason Nika cannot be on the floor at the end of close games. She is shooting 33% from foul line. Now maybe you don't understand that to preserve a lead at the end of the game, teams normally play a game to keep the ball away from the defense as long as possible, trying to AVOID being fouled until the end of the shot clock when they will attempt a reasonable shot. They are not trying to attack the basket and that was the context of your original reply.

You did the same with this gem: Nika had the second lowest FG percentage on the team last year and this year she has the lowest FG percentage of all 9 players in the regular rotation. Well, maybe last year had something to do with the multitude of layups she missed in the early part of the season when she was both playing hurt and probably a bit too geeked up to play evenly. But no, you will not mention that either since it does not fit your negative narrative.

You also conveniently left out that after PB, she LED the team in three-point percentage last year…. Now why did you leave that little nugget out Coocoo? Let me guess, it didn’t fit your negative narrative again.

In total FG% this year, she is only a few makes away from EW and is shooting better than EW from 3 pt and only a few makes away from reaching PB and CW in 3 pt. But here is the real nugget you conveniently left out, SHE IS SHOOTING BETTER FROM 2 PT THAN ANY GUARD ON THE TEAM NOT NAMED PB and .4% behind EW(that means out of every 250 shots, she is one behind EW). Why did you leave that out Coocoo? Why are you trying to mislead the boneyard by cherry picking your information?

Also, her stats in Reb, steals, assists, TO rate (and she has the ball in her hands more than most) are all very respectable, but of course you will not mention that either.

Finally, she commits exactly 1 foul more than CW per 40 minutes whilst playing defense for the entire 94 feet, unlike CW.

So there you go again doing what you always do: cherry picking the facts to fit your negative spin and then changing the context to also fit your negative spin. This is called verbal diarrhoea!

I would think that the rest of the BY is wise enough to pick up on this BS.

Reaction Score
I think some people think shooting numbers are all that we need to win a game. When Nika is out there she is playing the point, which means she is running the offense looking for the best opportunity to score for her teammates. 5 on 4 huh? Is Paige, Azzi, CW, and EW not enough firepower out there? If we have 4 players that can score, and score well, it would be nice to have a player that actually works her butt off playing defense, because it was apparent that nobody else was. The people who say it is 5 on 4 when Nika is out there clearly don't see that it is not just about shooting, its about "fundamentals and defense" to quote the state champion coach, Norman Dale. Sure, you can just put shooters out there if you want to look like DePaul. She started 17 games last year along side Paige, so what is the problem? We had a tough time out there, and you know why? Its because it was like we were playing against 3 or 4 Nikas. We didn't like that, did we?
Great post, they didn’t much like it against Arizona either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom